Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of June game thread
(06-23-2019, 05:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The pitchers are the ones who want iot both ways.  They want to be able to pump thier fist if they get a big strikeout, but no on is even allowed to look when they give up a HR.  That is just silly.  Every athlete in every sport celebrates when he does something good.  The opponent just has to take it.  Don't know why pitchers think they are special.

Batter has every right to charge the miound if a pitcher throws at him on purpose. Celebrating hitting a home run does not try to injure the pitcher in any way while throwing at a batter could cause a career ending injury.  There is no comparison between the two.

It is wrong to throw at batters, I will give you that. A pitcher pumping his fist isn’t showing up the hitter. A hitter with a slight pause to watch his longball isn’t showing up the pitcher either. Once again, Dietrich takes much longer, then the bat flip in the air then does his little stud strut while sometimes looking down the opposing pitcher or dugout. Look, there’s a reason that multiple teams and their fans don’t like this guy. His is over the top. It is as exactly as ridiculous as if a pitcher started freaking brake dancing after every strikeout. There will be more incidents with him at the front because he wants to hotdog.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 08:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have to mostly agree with Fred here C. Guy. Don't take me wrong, I too think Dietrich does take it a bit over the top with the stare at times. But in the same breath I've seen many and I mean a ton do very, very, nearly the same thing. Perhaps Dietrich carries it a half second longer than needed at times ? But I think you're being just a little hard on him, he's far from alone. Hell Puig will stand and stare down a double, he did it today.

A pitcher, I forget who ? Back way early in the season that took exception to the stare down and little bat flip ? or whatever ? And hit a batter after. There is a ton of video of that pitcher moonwalking, back flips, pointing, fist pumping, etc. after striking out a batter. But when the shoe is on the other foot it's bad ? Pot or the kettle ? Pitchers think they can do whatever and it's ok but the batter has to stay clean as a whistle, walk the chalk, do a homerun trot eyes forward at a certain speed and on and on.

I get it I'm old school and don't really like all the over the top celebration either. But pitchers, a bunch of em anyways, need to learn that soup for the goose is soup for the gander.

Maybe I am wrong. I’m not too big to admit it! I know that I’m biased because I’ve always disliked hotdogs and attention seekers. I couldn’t stand Chad Jonson but really like AJ Green. Both being great players, Chad was probably even a tad better. I just am not surprised in the least if Dietrich rubs other players the wrong way. I’ll leave it at that.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 08:41 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Puig has somewhat quietly turned up the heat at the plate. He's up to .240 batting perhaps a point higher after today ? I don't have the stats but I'd say he's pushing .300 or better over the last couple weeks. He has 16 HR's and is 2nd on the team with 44 RBI's. Votto is up to .260. If those two can keep trending up and Suarez can get out of his funk then we get Scooter back if he can get on track quickly ? Senzel is getting it done. We could have a decent 2nd half on O.

Votto raised his average from .208 to .253 in just one week at the end of May when he went 13-22.  Until last night when he went 3-3 he really had not raised his average that much.  But he has started to find his power stroke in June.  He has 9 extra base hit in just 19 games after having only 19 in his first 51.  With three hits yesterday he has raised his batting average 13 points in June (.247 to .260), but his slugging percentage has gone up 41 points in June (.366 to .407).

Puig has raised his batting average 33 points (.207 to .240) by hitting .378 over his last 12 games (17-45).  Even more impressive is that 10 of those 17 hits have been for extra bases (including 5 home runs) and he has raised his slugging percentage 83 points (.378 to .461)
Reply/Quote
Reds face the Angels of some stars. TROUT....PUJOLS is Hall Of Fame to be, and has been hitting lately. He still gets RBI's.....UPTON is back from injury and hitting great. ....On the Reds side VOTTO has raised that BA up fro .200 to .250 .....PUIG returns to LA area on a hot streak.

Here is a All-Time stat. Go on internet and pull up All-Time Stats and click on On Base %. Of Wagner, Cobb, Ruth, Hornsby, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Williams, Musial, Mays, AaRon, Rose, and on, of all the players ever, VOTTO is in TOP 5 or TOP 10 ALL-TIME in ON BASE %. Votto is older than I thought. If he keeps raising his BA, and is OBP, he could help Reds get over .500 and beyond THIS YEAR. I never knew Votto near the top in all-time OBP.

I added Votto the other day in Fantasy Ball and the league is Lets Go Reds. So a Red Fan gave up on Votto and I grabbed him. What surprises me is I am starting him this week already because he put up good numbers last week. I'm also starting Matt Carpenter who some gave up on, but is now hitting as Votto is now hitting. I was able to grab Upton back and hitting. I have Stanton back but on the bench for when he starts hitting. Suarez is like Tony Perez, he will put up big numbers. He will pass some 3rd basemen ahead of him. Suarez ready to go on one of his hot streaks. If Roark pitches twice week of the 4th, I may have to add him as a solid 2 games in 1 week starter for double points.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds will not get Wood back until after all star break. Plan is to get Gennett back on Friday this week.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm a bit concerned they'll bring Gannet up and he goes flat. He's at Louisville now and not exactly feasting on the below average pitching there. The last thing they need right now is a regular 2nd baseman hitting .093. In a perfect world he comes right in and rips the cover off the ball, but I really don't expect that'll happen.
I think Wood may run into similar problems although I'm not really sure how he'll respond. Nobody is 100% sure what any of them will do, but i still like our chances of at least staying in contention this season. Hard telling how they'' fare next year with so many free agents. They'll either move up or wash out, but I doubt they remain static from this season to the next.. As it sits now they don't have a bunch of MLB ready players in the minors.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The Reds start a two game series tonight against the Angels who are a game below .500 themselves. It's Mahle against Heaney 0-1 5.68 ERA tonight then Roark tomorrow and a sweep is what the doctor is ordering. Need to get back to 2 games below .500 before we enter the home stand to end the 1st half.

3 against the Cubs over the weekend then right into 4 against the Brewers, Friday off then finish up the Ohio Cup with 2 more against the Indians. 11 games and how badly we need to to go 7-4 can't be overstated. Gotta stay close to the pack to have any real chance barring miracles at a run in the 2nd half after we get Wood and Gennett back.

Let's get the winning streak going again.
Reply/Quote
If the Red's can somehow get over the .500 mark, I think they will begin to roll. They still have a chance to become genuine division contenders with the leagues top pitching. They also are 2nd in home runs allowed which is amazing given GABP.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 12:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Reds start a two game series tonight against the Angels who are a game below .500 themselves. It's Mahle against Heaney 0-1 5.68 ERA tonight then Roark tomorrow and a sweep is what the doctor is ordering. Need to get back to 2 games below .500 before we enter the home stand to end the 1st half.

3 against the Cubs over the weekend then right into 4 against the Brewers, Friday off then finish up the Ohio Cup with 2 more against the Indians. 11 games and how badly we need to to go 7-4 can't be overstated. Gotta stay close to the pack to have any real chance barring miracles at a run in the 2nd half after we get Wood and Gennett back.

Let's get the winning streak going again.

Don't write off the Angels. even though they're in 4th place they're still winning almost half their games. The Red's seem to have a knack for making bad pitchers get good real quick and good hitting teams even better. The past two games kind of cooled the Reds off a bit. Anything can happen though. This is that kind of the point in a season that can make or break a team in the hunt.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Wood with the setback again! If I were a betting man, I’d bet that he won’t start this year and may not even pitch in a game for the Reds. He’s been hurt for close to a year now and has had about 4-5 setbacks when he tries to throw.
Reply/Quote
Reds find themselves back in situation of needing to avoid a sweep to stay 4 games under .500 and not 6 under. Go Reds against good hitting Angels.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2019, 11:27 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Wood with the setback again! If I were a betting man, I’d bet that he won’t start this year and may not even pitch in a game for the Reds. He’s been hurt for close to a year now and has had about 4-5 setbacks when he tries to throw.

Well that sucks.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Welp Iglesias just gave the game away with an Angels 4 run 8th.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Angels Sweep Reds....Reds have lost 4 in a row....So much for Reds winning streak going into Saturday.

Reds back to 6 below .500 now, it's hard to follow the bouncing ball of this, but I think it is 6 below again.

Reds need to regroup and fast.

As for news on here that Wood has more injuries, that is kind of why Dodgers traded him. Kemp gone and Wood hasn't pitched yet. Well, how much can you expect for Homer Bailey ? They did get Puig. As for Wood, there is an old blues song, " You can't loose what you ain't never had ". That applies to Wood. He has never thrown a pitch for the Reds, so it's hard to miss him. Bailey was second highest paid Red behind Votto, so if Reds got out from under that contract, it was a good move if all Reds got was a bag of popcorn. I see Dodgers dumped Bailey fast. Reds dumped Kemp fast. Wood injured as he was with Dodgers. Puig only one playing for Reds or Dodgers in this trade.

Better luck this weekend. GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 02:28 AM)kevin Wrote: Angels Sweep Reds....Reds have lost 4 in a row....So much for Reds winning streak going into Saturday.

Reds back to 6 below .500 now, it's hard to follow the bouncing ball of this, but I think it is 6 below again.

Reds need to regroup and fast.

As for news on here that Wood has more injuries, that is kind of why Dodgers traded him. Kemp gone and Wood hasn't pitched yet. Well, how much can you expect for Homer Bailey ? They did get Puig. As for Wood, there is an old blues song, " You can't loose what you ain't never had ". That applies to Wood. He has never thrown a pitch for the Reds, so it's hard to miss him. Bailey was second highest paid Red behind Votto, so if Reds got out from under that contract, it was a good move if all Reds got was a bag of popcorn. I see Dodgers dumped Bailey fast. Reds dumped Kemp fast. Wood injured as he was with Dodgers. Puig only one playing for Reds or Dodgers in this trade.

Better luck this weekend. GO REDS.

Homer’s last 3 starts 19 IP and 1 ER. I think that’s better than any 3 game stretch that any Red starter has had this year and against the DH. His ERA is now 4.61. He’s done better than Kemp or Wood. I’m glad that he wasn’t on the team though. I just wish that Wood could have pitched enough to flip for a prospect, oh well. At least the Reds made somewhat of an attempt to compete this year. The roster of hitters take long stretches where they don’t hit, they won’t have a winning team as long as the whole roster is so hot/cold. I was hoping that the warm weather would fix this. I hate musical lineups too! Half of the lineup doesn’t know if they’re starting or where they’re hitting. It’s been a better year but last place is still last place.
Reply/Quote
At this point the reds are what their recotd says they are. Better than last year but still not good. They have been between 2 and 7 games under .500 for the last 2 months.
Reply/Quote
I think the Reds have great if not the best starting pitching in the NL. WTS, I still think Disco or Mahl are the weak link and maybe Sims should be brought into the fold. I also have no faith in Iggy (closer) any longer. Zero.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 08:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think the Reds have great if not the best starting pitching in the NL. WTS, I still think Disco or Mahl are the weak link and maybe Sims should be brought into the fold. I also have no faith in Iggy (closer) any longer. Zero.

While Sims has face AAA hitters this year, he has pitched worse than Mahle has and pretty similar to what Disco has against Major League Hitters. Mahle and Disco have probably been some of the better 4 and 5 starters in baseball. Starting pitching isn’t the problem! The bats have to be way more consistent than they have been all year, that’s the problem!!
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2019, 10:00 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: While Sims has face AAA hitters this year, he has pitched worse than Mahle has and pretty similar to what Disco has against Major League Hitters. Mahle and Disco have probably been some of the better 4 and 5 starters in baseball. Starting pitching isn’t the problem! The bats have to be way more consistent than they have been all year, that’s the problem!!

Gennett will back maybe tomorrow
Hope he sparks hitting.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Well......... here we are back in condition critical ! The Reds season is in the ICU. They're six games below .500 and five games down in the loss column. Nine game home stand starts tonight and we very badly need to win six of em, seven would be even better. They just can't go 3-6 or it's pretty much gonna be over.

Maybe Scooter comes back and just knocks the cover off the ball and gets them hot again ? Something has to happen or it's gonna be a long, long summer.......again. They just can't have 7 or 8 teams ahead of them for the wildcard, it's just to big a hill to climb !

Cheers here's to hoping
Reply/Quote