Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of June game thread
Castillo pulled with 2 outs in the 4th trailing 6-4. Amazing he struggles this much against the Brewers.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Dietrich HBP yet again. He becomes the first player in MLB history to be HBP at least 6 times in a series.
Reply/Quote
And the streak is over after a disappointing 6-5 loss.
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2019, 08:12 PM)cinci4life Wrote: And the streak is over after a disappointing 6-5 loss.

All good things must come to an end. Lets start a new streak of winning tomorrow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2019, 09:25 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: All good things must come to an end. Lets start a new streak of winning tomorrow.
Right, Reds can still win this tough Brewers series Sunday.  Disco on the mound.   Win the Astros and Brewers series and have a streak of series winning.  Leave town 2 under .500, not back to 4 under.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-22-2019, 07:05 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Dietrich HBP yet again. He becomes the first player in MLB history to be HBP at least 6 times in a series.

...and the Brewers broadcasters were acting as if Dietrich himself was pitching inside and solely responsible for getting out of the way for lousy pitches..  Perhaps if their pitchers did a better job of throwing baseballs he wouldn't have been hit so often. I suspect that if Dietrich were a Brewer the narrative would be quite starkly different.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I'm almost surprised nobody is ready to throw in the towel and demand Castillo be traded for a baseball card and a player to be named later..  Give it time.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 05:58 AM)grampahol Wrote: ...and the Brewers broadcasters were acting as if Dietrich himself was pitching inside and solely responsible for getting out of the way for lousy pitches..  Perhaps if their pitchers did a better job of throwing baseballs he wouldn't have been hit so often. I suspect that if Dietrich were a Brewer the narrative would be quite starkly different.. 

Players aren’t dumb. They know how Dietrich watches his homeruns like he’s the god of all baseball players to ever play. It would be like a pitcher that starts break dancing on the mound for 15 seconds every time he strikes out a hitter. It’s just a tad in your face. They know that he crowds the plate that it’s hard to say that you’re throwing at him. He will eventually get beamed in the head or more likely get a teammate hurt by causing a fight.
Reply/Quote
Wow Disco starts the game with 6 straight strikeouts so far!
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 03:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Players aren’t dumb. They know how Dietrich watches his homeruns like he’s the god of all baseball players to ever play. It would be like a pitcher that starts break dancing on the mound for 15 seconds every time he strikes out a hitter. It’s just a tad in your face. They know that he crowds the plate that it’s hard to say that you’re throwing at him. He will eventually get beamed in the head or more likely get a teammate hurt by causing a fight.

It is not Dietrich's fault if a fight starts.

Pitchers are not allowed to throw at a player for watching a home run anymore than a batter can charge the mound with a bat when a pitcher pumps his fist after a strikeout.  MLB needs to start suspending pitchers for this stupid shit before someone gets injured.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 03:41 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Wow Disco starts the game with 6 straight strikeouts so far!

And now in the 3rd other than the pitcher he can't get anyone out. 4-0 Brewers so far.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not Dietrich's fault if a fight starts.

Pitchers are not allowed to throw at a player for watching a home run anymore than a batter can charge the mound with a bat when a pitcher pumps his fist after a strikeout.  MLB needs to start suspending pitchers for this stupid shit before someone gets injured.

IDK, sometimes a good 'ole mound charging is fun to watch.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 03:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not Dietrich's fault if a fight starts.

It is his fault for being a dick. Again, hitters would charge at pitchers for showing up the hitters after a strikeout but the hitters also charge the mound if they get hit for showing up the pitcher. The hitters want it both ways. Show me one other hitter in the history of the game that goes that over the top after every single homerun. On another note, it looks like the Reds are giving back all of the ground that they fought for already.
Reply/Quote
I turned game on today to see Reds behind and Disco give up more runs, and I turned it off. I was hoping they get to .500 this series, but it looks like they will get the split and leave 4 under .500, but don't get me wrong. Last week they were 8 under, so it was a good week.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 04:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It is his fault for being a dick. Again, hitters would charge at pitchers for showing up the hitters after a strikeout but the hitters also charge the mound if they get hit for showing up the pitcher. The hitters want it both ways. Show me one other hitter in the history of the game that goes that over the top after every single homerun.  On another note, it looks like the Reds are giving back all of the ground that they fought for already.

The pitchers are the ones who want iot both ways.  They want to be able to pump thier fist if they get a big strikeout, but no on is even allowed to look when they give up a HR.  That is just silly.  Every athlete in every sport celebrates when he does something good.  The opponent just has to take it.  Don't know why pitchers think they are special.

Batter has every right to charge the miound if a pitcher throws at him on purpose. Celebrating hitting a home run does not try to injure the pitcher in any way while throwing at a batter could cause a career ending injury.  There is no comparison between the two.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Disco has it. His pitches are too flat or have no movement. If he misses his spots, he is easy to hit. Hopefully Wood can do something this year, and Reds get Gennett by end of next week.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Well Reds down 7-0 at one point brought the tying run to the plate in the 9th in Peraza and he hit one to the warning track for the final out. 7-5 final.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 05:46 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't think Disco has it.  His pitches are too flat or have no movement.  If he misses his spots, he is easy to hit.  Hopefully Wood can do something this year, and Reds get Gennett by end of next week.

This provides some perspective on how much our staff has improved.

DeScalfani entered todays game with a 4.22 ERA.  That ranked 39th among the 69 NL starters with at least 40 innings pitched.  Last year our number one starter, Castillo, finished with a 4.30 ERA.

Reds starters currently rank second in the league in ERA and our releivers rank nuber one (by a wide margin).  Overall we have the #2 pitching staff in thre NL.  Not bad consiering they play their home games in a hitters park.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 04:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It is his fault for being a dick. Again, hitters would charge at pitchers for showing up the hitters after a strikeout but the hitters also charge the mound if they get hit for showing up the pitcher. The hitters want it both ways. Show me one other hitter in the history of the game that goes that over the top after every single homerun.  On another note, it looks like the Reds are giving back all of the ground that they fought for already.

(06-23-2019, 05:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The pitchers are the ones who want iot both ways.  They want to be able to pump thier fist if they get a big strikeout, but no on is even allowed to look when they give up a HR.  That is just silly.  Every athlete in every sport celebrates when he does something good.  The opponent just has to take it.  Don't know why pitchers think they are special.

Batter has every right to charge the miound if a pitcher throws at him on purpose. Celebrating hitting a home run does not try to injure the pitcher in any way while throwing at a batter could cause a career ending injury.  There is no comparison between the two.

I have to mostly agree with Fred here C. Guy. Don't take me wrong, I too think Dietrich does take it a bit over the top with the stare at times. But in the same breath I've seen many and I mean a ton do very, very, nearly the same thing. Perhaps Dietrich carries it a half second longer than needed at times ? But I think you're being just a little hard on him, he's far from alone. Hell Puig will stand and stare down a double, he did it today.

A pitcher, I forget who ? Back way early in the season that took exception to the stare down and little bat flip ? or whatever ? And hit a batter after. There is a ton of video of that pitcher moonwalking, back flips, pointing, fist pumping, etc. after striking out a batter. But when the shoe is on the other foot it's bad ? Pot or the kettle ? Pitchers think they can do whatever and it's ok but the batter has to stay clean as a whistle, walk the chalk, do a homerun trot eyes forward at a certain speed and on and on.

I get it I'm old school and don't really like all the over the top celebration either. But pitchers, a bunch of em anyways, need to learn that soup for the goose is soup for the gander.
Reply/Quote
Puig has somewhat quietly turned up the heat at the plate. He's up to .240 batting perhaps a point higher after today ? I don't have the stats but I'd say he's pushing .300 or better over the last couple weeks. He has 16 HR's and is 2nd on the team with 44 RBI's. Votto is up to .260. If those two can keep trending up and Suarez can get out of his funk then we get Scooter back if he can get on track quickly ? Senzel is getting it done. We could have a decent 2nd half on O.
Reply/Quote