Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of May games thread
(05-27-2019, 06:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Let’s hope that they win tonight and get a 10th chance tomorrow!

10th times a charm  ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Reds hang 6 on the board in the first, grand slam by Iglesias !

Please don't let it get away again
Reply/Quote
Is it just me or has Dietrich went ice cold the last week or so ?
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 09:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Is it just me or has Dietrich went ice cold the last week or so ?

Some of the other guys are warming up though. I wander if Dietrich is nervous that he will lose playing time now that Scooter is traveling with the team?
Reply/Quote
Between me fishing during Bengals game..(stopped working last year) and me not watching Reds games..(I watched game 1, but not 2) I'm a curse! They've won every game I've failed to watch this season..  I like watching the Reds play, but not when they only win when I don't watch..  Weird..
The've won several that I've watched, but have won every single game I haven't watched.. Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's hard to win a Double Header. Reds came back at night and got the split. Still 4 games under .500

Still 2 games left with Pirates. I would hope they would just pitch Disco & Mahle with days off Thursday & Monday. They may bring a starter up from minors, but it's not needed. Just go Disco Mahle, Day Off, Roark, Castillo, Gray, Day Off. If modern day pitchers can't handle that easy schedule, don't ever compare them to the tough pitchers of the past.

However they do it, Get after tough Pirates and end series 2 games under or at least still 4 under.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2019, 09:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Some of the other guys are warming up though. I wander if Dietrich is nervous that he will lose playing time now that Scooter is traveling with the team?

Note to self: Dietrich doesn’t seem very nervous! Lol Awesome!!!
Reply/Quote
Dietrich has 17 Homers on May 28th. 6 of his last hits are all Homers. He plays OF and 2nd and 1st. If Reds can't play this guy more often, they are idiots. A 40 Home Run Season is very possible. Maybe 50. Fantasy Owners should be scrambling to see if he is a Free Agent tonight, because he will be gone as soon as rest of baseball hears the news.

The kid brought up from Minors did a great job.

Now it's Disco time Wednesday at High Noon.

Reds reach 3 games under .500 and going for 2 games under .500

GO REDS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Dietrich has 17 Homers on May 28th. 6 of his last hits are all Homers. He plays OF and 2nd and 1st. If Reds can't play this guy more often, they are idiots. A 40 Home Run Season is very possible. Maybe 50. Fantasy Owners should be scrambling to see if he is a Free Agent tonight, because he will be gone as soon as rest of baseball hears the news.

The kid brought up from Minors did a great job pitching.

Reds finally reach 3 games under .500 and going for 2 games under .500

GO REDS.

3 Homers by Dietrich tonight. His last 6 hits, all Homers. Votto out with a sore hamstring injury. Forget Farmer and others, how can you not keep playing Dietrich at first tomorrow. Sparky was right, when you find a George Foster you get him in the line-up, even if you move Pete to 3rd. In 2019, Reds need to get Dietrich into the line-up. This is not a platoon player. 17 homers on May 28th is no platoon player. He is on pace to hit 40 or 50 Homers and YOU FIND a place to play a guy like that EVERYDAY. You find a place for a George Foster Home Run hitter like Dietrich.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 09:43 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Note to self: Dietrich doesn’t seem very nervous! Lol Awesome!!!

Dietrich has warmed back up  :andy:

What a debut by Sims !!
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 10:37 PM)kevin Wrote: Dietrich has 17 Homers on May 28th. 6 of his last hits are all Homers. He plays OF and 2nd and 1st. If Reds can't play this guy more often, they are idiots. A 40 Home Run Season is very possible. Maybe 50. Fantasy Owners should be scrambling to see if he is a Free Agent tonight, because he will be gone as soon as rest of baseball hears the news.

The kid brought up from Minors did a great job pitching.

Reds finally reach 3 games under .500 and going for 2 games under .500

GO REDS.

3 Homers by Dietrich tonight. His last 6 hits, all Homers. Votto out with a sore hamstring injury. Forget Farmer and others, how can you not keep playing Dietrich at first tomorrow. Sparky was right, when you find a George Foster you get him in the line-up, even if you move Pete to 3rd. In 2019, Reds need to get Dietrich into the line-up. This is not a platoon player. 17 homers on May 28th is no platoon player. He is on pace to hit 40 or 50 Homers and YOU FIND a place to play a guy like that EVERYDAY. You find a place for a George Foster Home Run hitter like Dietrich.
Good comparison! Speaking of Disco, he needs to start pitching better because right now he’s a weak link.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 10:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Dietrich has warmed back up  :andy:

What a debut by Sims !!

I was talking to the radio and telling Bell to take him out after the first base runner in the 8th. Sims pitched great, should’ve pulled him at a high point though. It’s nice to know that the rotation has options if Disco can’t hack it and if Wood can’t go.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2019, 11:24 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I was talking to the radio and telling Bell to take him out after the first base runner in the 8th. Sims pitched great, should’ve pulled him at a high point though. It’s nice to know that the rotation has options if Disco can’t hack it and if Wood can’t go.

Yep !

The bullpen should have been getting ready before he even took the mound and first sign of adversity pull the plug. I totally get the let him finish the game save the bullpen. I get we were up by a lot. But even if you let him go on after first hit you have to pull him after 2nd. You could see he was tiring with the wildness even before he plunked the guy.

And it is very nice to know we have options as you say. I'm not holding out a lot of hope that Disco is gonna make it ? To many HR's, to many bad innings. Gonna be interesting to see how the next couple weeks shake out.
Reply/Quote
So I went to Monday's first game doubleheader Bought a ticket in right field top row. It was hot but nice and breezy up there. I was the only one up there but spoke to several people who made their way up to cool off in the wind. Joked with one guy, no need to worry about a HR ball. Went home after the 1st game and watched the 2nd one on TV later. Sure enough, Dietrich hit a HR in the 2nd game right near I was sitting earlier.

Don't know if any of you have ever caught a baseball. I have a Joe Oliver one I caught off a bounce several years ago.
Reply/Quote
So what do we do about Dietrich and Iglesias? Try to sign them long term? Flip them at trade deadline? Ride it out and let them walk/try to re-sign them in FA? Can the team tender them with any draft pick compensation?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 09:00 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep !

The bullpen should have been getting ready before he even took the mound and first sign of adversity pull the plug. I totally get the let him finish the game save the bullpen. I get we were up by a lot. But even if you let him go on after first hit you have to pull him after 2nd. You could see he was tiring with the wildness even before he plunked the guy.

And it is very nice to know we have options as you say. I'm not holding out a lot of hope that Disco is gonna make it ? To many HR's, to many bad innings. Gonna be interesting to see how the next couple weeks shake out.

The team is playing better but I still don’t care for Bell. There’s too many obvious moves that he misses, like the one mentioned above. I think that the Reds generally win In spite of his moves. He does seem to be making less stupid moves though. Those homeruns are an established trend with Disco. I don’t see him making it all year.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2019, 11:47 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: So what do we do about Dietrich and Iglesias? Try to sign them long term? Flip them at trade deadline? Ride it out and let them walk/try to re-sign them in FA? Can the team tender them with any draft pick compensation?

I’m pretty sure that the Reds have the rights to Dietrich through next year, though he will get a raise in arbitration. I’d keep him but hold off on an extension right now and find out if this is real. I would totally try to lock up Iglesias for 2-3 years, he’s an excellent defender with a capable bat. I wouldn’t trade either. The Reds should probably only keep one of Scooter and Dietrich. That will probably sort it’s self out by years end as Scooter is a free agent too.
Reply/Quote
What the Hell was Senzel thinking? They didn't sacrifice runners over to 2nd and 3rd for you to bunt one of them in. They expect you to hit a single and score two.

I've noticed Votto's "hamstring tweak" came right after the game he dropped the double play ball in that opening game of the double header.

And then Disco gives up a three run shot. Yeeesh.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
7-0 Pirates in 8th, so it looks like Reds split and stay at 4 games under ,500 as when series started.

A look ahead. Day Off. Then come the pitchers, meaning the Washington Nationals. IF the Reds pitchers are on this weekend, these could be some low scoring games with a lot of K's. Reds will face Mad Max, Strasburg, the best they have. Castillo will not pitch, being held back for Tuesday. It will be Mahle, Roark, Gray.

So Reds will go into this 4 under .500 and up against tough pitching to not fall to 7 under. Reds will have to be on their game.

Well, Pirates hit Suarez and it is the cheap crap we see out of Pittsburgh in football also. Pirates still have to bat and a Red should nail a Pirate with a pitch right off the bat in the 9th. Flat out bean ball repayment for the way Pirates always hit Suarez, the hell with Pittsburgh. Oh, Pittsburgh will want to fight, it's OK when they are cheap shot artists, they can dish it out but they can't take it. I'm hoping a Pirate gets clocked with a pitch quick and fast 9th inning. Up 7-0, the announcers said there was no doubt Pirates hit Reds best player because they had the big lead......Reds did NOT nail one. They OWE Pirates a bean ball later in season.....Bell ejected from game after first Reds in 8th beaned, and it was Suarez who had to leave game. Pittsburgh reporters have been crying over Dietrich & Reds homer celebrations, as if Pittsburgh doesn't do it. Suarez went out to mound to the pitcher. It's a long season, Pirates have a bean ball coming their way this season. Pirates hit Suarez on hand last year making him miss games. Cheap Shot Pittsburgh.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Here’s a question and I didn’t watch the game but why in the hell did Bell use Mahle to pinch run in the bottom of the 8th and down by 7? I’m sure he wasn’t loosened up. That’s asking for a needless hammy pull or a twisted ankle. Unless there’s something that I’m missing, this is the kinda thing that I can’t stand about Bell.
Reply/Quote