Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of May games thread
So at least Reds didn't get swept by Dodgers and Mahle got his first win Saturday. His pitching numbers not bad, just Reds weak bats.

Now Brewers and lets see of Gray can get first win. Again, numbers not bad, just Reds weak bats.

Reds 5 under .500 so GO REDS against Brewers.

Don't have a bad week and be way under .500 on June 1st. Keep this thing close at 1/3 of season mark.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Quote:How much blame do you think manager David Bell should receive for the results on the field so far?
-- Josh A.

First, let’s get some perspective. The last-place Reds are 21-26 through 47 games, 7 1/2 games out of first place in the NL Central and 4 1/2 games out in the NL Wild Card standings. At this point in 2018, they were 16-31 and 12 1/2 games back after a 3-18 start. While there has been some improvement, their 9-13 record in one-run games says they could be better. What’s not helping Cincinnati is that the other clubs in the division have records above .500.
As for Bell’s role, a lot of studies have been done around baseball about the impact a manager has in the final win total each year. Generally, the answer is not all that much. Decisions like whether to make a pitching change, when to sacrifice bunt or when to use a pinch-hitter are on the manager’s watch, but ultimately, it could add up to four to six wins per year.
Where the manager’s greatest influence comes is creating a culture that helps players win. Bell is managing people and not robots, and to this point, the atmosphere inside the Reds clubhouse generally seems good. I have yet to hear of any players publicly or privately gripe about him, although pitcher Tanner Roark let it be known Sunday he wasn’t happy about being pulled for a pinch-hitter. But he criticized the decision, not Bell himself.
Former Reds manager Dusty Baker famously created strong winning cultures for his players over the years, and it’s something Cincinnati missed after he left. The Nationals have certainly lacked it since they dismissed him after the 2017 season and a few years before he was hired ahead of ’16. Others like Terry Francona and Bruce Bochy seem to have that knack, too. And don’t forget, roster construction also plays a huge role. Joe Torre is a Hall of Fame manager from his time with the Yankees. Before 1996, Torre was a sub-.500 skipper with multiple teams.
Sounds like Mark Sheldon wants to keep his access to the Reds and is basically filling a lot of space with nothing about the in-over-his-head manager.

[Image: 60293690_2240236052720980_45406889377141...e=5D588078]
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 08:15 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sounds like Mark Sheldon wants to keep his access to the Reds and is basically filling a lot of space with nothing about the in-over-his-head manager.

[Image: 60293690_2240236052720980_45406889377141...e=5D588078]

Nothing new there. Reporters, especially those who regularly cover certain teams aren't going to routinely bash the coach/manager unless they want to be on the outside looking in..
Anyone who expects Sheldon to rip ito Bell might want to consider finding a new hobby other than following anything he writes.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Big Win for the Good Guys! Go Reds!
Reply/Quote
Nice win for the Reds and Hey Gray won a game. He still had a couple bad innings with walks but got lucky and got out of em. Braun's FU delayed steal of 3rd or whatever was a big help.

It would be really, really nice if they could win today as well.
Reply/Quote
This game today is going to be really interesting.

Let's see if Castillo can stand up to the Brewers offense and match Davies inning for inning.

I don't see the Reds snagging 3 quick runs against Davies in the first...

This could potentially be a 1-0 or 2-1 game.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 11:44 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This game today is going to be really interesting.

Let's see if Castillo can stand up to the Brewers offense and match Davies inning for inning.

I don't see the Reds snagging 3 quick runs against Davies in the first...

This could potentially be a 1-0 or 2-1 game.

Davies throws 5 different pitches, he could throw a shutout. I guess that he’s throwing a lot more change ups this year. He’s still at a 63% fastball rate. The Reds have more problems with off speed stuff. Maybe they will be aggressive early against his fastball.
Reply/Quote
Well, scratch all that haha. Davies is having an off day XD.
Reply/Quote
Well crap

They had their chances
Reply/Quote
They just can’t get over the hump. They’re looking like a .500 team though and that is improvement, especially with Votto MIA.
Reply/Quote
I wasn't expecting a high scoring game. This red's team is so frustrating. as a fan I can see the potential is there they're just not firing on all cylinders. Let's hope that Alex wood and Gennett brings that fire.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 06:52 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: They just can’t get over the hump. They’re looking like a .500 team though and that is improvement, especially with Votto MIA.

(05-22-2019, 07:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wasn't expecting a high scoring game. This red's team is so frustrating.  as a fan I can see the potential is there they're just not firing on all cylinders.  Let's hope that Alex wood and Gennett brings that fire.

Yup,

They fire on all cylinders for a few innings then stink for the next game and a half. They just can't get it together for more than a bit here and there.
Reply/Quote
Yesterday was an exciting game hittingwise.. Pitchingwise not so much and it seemed more like last years games, high scoring with horrible pitching. This year quite the opposite with yesterday the exception. It makes the game interesting at least even if the game seemed to go on forever.
I watched with my dad. It started at about 1:30 and by the 5th inning it seemed like the 9th or extra innings by the 7th.. Just one of those days with no a lot to make many decisions about.
A lot of people are really down on Peralta and rightfully so, but in April he tossed 8.1 innings with an ERA that could have gotten him in an ASG, but by this month he fell completely apart and his breaking pitches are all breaking right over the plate instead of away from it.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Reds have 4 straight afternoon games for Memorial Day Weekend. Friday, Saturday, Sunday in Chicago. Monday in Cincy vs Pirates as part of a Memorial Day double header due to make-up game. Anyway, I like the idea of afternoon baseball all Memorial Day Weekend.

Reds still 5 under .500 after split with Brewers. Afternoon Holiday Games may be good hamburger & hot dog games. A trick to the hot dogs is when they pop open and get a smile gash in them, they are ready to eat. Memorial Day weekend afternoons of baseball, hot dogs, hamburgers. Johnsonville beer brats or ballpark brats. Kahns Big Red Smokies. I'm not into the auto races. Some Reds baseball, maybe some good US Military movies, REDS & MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Suarez pounds a two run homer in the top of the 9th to give Reds 6-5 win, sweet !

Votto had a couple hits and runs I believe. Puig had homer and 3 RBI's
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2019, 06:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Suarez pounds a two run homer in the top of the 9th to give Reds 6-5 win, sweet !

Votto had a couple hits and runs I believe. Puig had homer and 3 RBI's

Really thought it was over when Hernandez gave up the run in the bottom of the 8th. Nice to see the middle of the lineup all show up at the same time for once.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice comeback Win in Chicago. I thought it was over when I turned game on in 3rd inning and 4-0 Cubs. I turned game back on on in 7th and it was 4-4. I stayed with it. 5-4 Cubs. 9th inning, Votto gets a walk. Suarez on 1st pitch hits monster homer almost out of the park. Reds go ahead in 9th and win. GREAT COMEBACK WIN.

So Reds are now 4 games under .500 and trying to catch up. Reds were close to 10 games under at start of season and in a horse race you would say they left the gate badly. Since that bad start, the Reds are running and playing over .500 ball and trying to catch the field of horses. Not even the 1/3 of way around track yet.

So winning Cubs series would be huge, sweeping even better. Again, I love that these are afternoon games Memorial Day Weekend. Perfect for Memorial Day Weekend food. I could care less about the car races. GO REDS.

Today's win mean the Cubs can not send Reds out of town 8 games under .500 and it can only be 6, 4 or 2 under .500 now. Eliminating 8 under chances today was huge. GREAT COMEBACK WIN. Votto & Suarez at the plate got it done, and that is nice to say, Reds need these 2 guys to compete. If Votto gets HOT, Watch Out.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Disco having his worst year as a Red. Reds showing some grit.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Ever notice that when the Reds announcer says something like, “He’s pitched a good game so far” that the pitcher almost always falls apart that very inning?
Reply/Quote
Can't believe Winker was stupid enough to swing at a 2-0 pitch with the horrible day he was having. I'd rather see him take every pitch and either walk or strikeout instead of swinging and possibly hitting into a double play.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote