Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of May games thread
Quote:If it weren't for this offense inexplicably doing nothing for the first month of the season, I think we could easily be a over .500 team.
The problem is that's exactly what happened so no use in playing the what if game. You can't undo history..  And by the way, that bit from Redsminorleagues.com about Bell was written before the season ever started. It was when Bell was first hired so it's not exactly looking backwards. Doug Gray from that site knows his stuff. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If these bats can stay even half as hot as they were these past two games, then we'll be above .500 in no time.
Reply/Quote
OK, it's a 4 game series that goes into. Win today with Castillo on mound and guarantee a split and possible win of series Monday.

Too bad things didn't work out with Kemp. He hit well in Spring Training. Then Reds outfield got very crowded and new manager looking at a lot of players which meant games off. Then the injury to Kemp running into wall to catch a ball. Some team needing outfielders should pick him up because he really didn't get much of a chance in Cincy and in Spring showed he can still hit, Reds just decided in Spring to go with other players. On another team he could get playing time and contribute.

Getting rid of Kemp means Dietrich should play even more in infield or outfield. The guy is hitting. I'm tired of hearing about the players of the future by Reds announcers. On the LAST PLACE Reds Dietrich is hitting NOW and should not be riding the bench. Reds need hitting and Dietrich is hitting. Kemp is gone and Gennett is injured and Votto isn't hitting, Get Dietrich In The Line-Ups.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Dietrich is the new Gennett. He needs to play everyday someone now that Kemp is gone. I am surprised they just let Kemp walk but it was the right decision. Same for Schebler even though I feel sorry for the vet in slump.

Damnit Bell, quit batting Votto first. Rant over. Rant

R. Iglesias has to be fixed, he does not look the same. Dare I say R. I. is meh? it worked on Castillo. I say sit Votto and play Dietrich at first along with Farmer for a few games.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Iglesias has been "meh" ever since the trade deadline passed last year and Cincy didn't trade him. Somewhere around game 100, he became an average pitcher. He's had flashes of his old self but it may be time to cut bait and trade him.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Castillo has no hitter through 4 innings. Man, has he turned it on.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
So Iglesias comes on in the 9th and gives up a one hopper to the wall for a double then the next guy up hits a hanging change up plumb out of the park. To the bottom of the 9th we go down by 2
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 07:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: So Iglesias comes on in the 9th and gives up a one hopper to the wall for a double then the next guy up hits a hanging change up plumb out of the park. To the bottom of the 9th we go down by 2

Iglesias needs to be replaced
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 07:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Iglesias needs to be replaced

Yep

He stunk the first two weeks of the season then he had 3 or 4 good games and now he's stunk last two weeks. He has 5 losses already !

The Reds had zero hits after the 1st inning
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 07:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

He stunk the first two weeks of the season then he had 3 or 4 good games and now he's stunk last two weeks. He has 5 losses already !

The Reds had zero hits after the 1st inning

They ought to move Lorenzen to closer or find someone else, move Iglesias to middle relief.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 08:19 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: They ought to move Lorenzen to closer or find someone else, move Iglesias to middle relief.  

Iglesias shouldn’t have been in today in the closer role after how he’s pitched in the last week... I won’t blame Bell for the other losses but he shouldn’t have been in there today. The new pitching coach has done wonders for the staff but something isn’t going right with Iglesias.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 08:59 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Iglesias shouldn’t have been in today in the closer role after how he’s pitched in the last week... I won’t blame Bell for the other losses but he shouldn’t have been in there today. The new pitching coach has done wonders for the staff but something isn’t going right with Iglesias.

There is no excuse today for Iglesias.  Early in week Bell had over pitched him. That wasn't the case today, he was rested.  I'm starting to see and it's not just this year. Iglesias gives up a lot of homers each year for a 9th inning closer, probably more than any closer in baseball or close to it. It is his big weakness.  

2 players Reds count on stink as Reds are in Last Place.  Votto and reliever Iglesias.  Look at Votto's batting average. Look at Iglesias ERA as a closer.  That's all you have to look at to see why Reds again in Last Place.  For all their trades, for all their manager and coaching changes, in spite of players like Dietrich and SS-Iglesias being nice surprise additions, in spite of pitching much better this year,  they still have Votto who seems to be more Last Place than First Place. 

Bell took Dietrich out of game Friday after hitting 2 homers.  Dietrich hit a homer Saturday.  Bell took Dietrich out of game Sunday after hitting 4th homer in 3 days.  Bell and Reds are Determined NOT to play Dietrich.  Reds are all about getting these futures players up from the minors.  Bell is over managing.  The Reds make no sense and they deserve Last Place.  To have a player as hot as Dietrich is and keep pulling him to get in other players is just stupid.  Meanwhile the great Votto plays all the time and really stinks and he stunk it up all 2018 also. 

So right now their big hitter and their big closer stink.  It's Votto that needs taken out of games, not Dietrich.   Iglesias needs to be moved down from closer. Put somebody else in there as the closer for a while.  

The Reds have players that could win now.  Bell keeps taking out the wrong players.  I am not excited about all the minor league players called up.  It's not September.  I'm tired of hearing about years down the road from Reds.  This team has been in Last Place the last 4 or 5 years and Enough is Enough. I'm tired of all the Futures players they groom every year for years down the road.  Dietrich is hitting NOW.  We have pitchers doing good NOW.   Reds need to put up some wins NOW, not 5 years from now. 

If they insist on playing Votto, then Peraza or Senzel need to sit. The outfield should be Puig, Dietrich, Winker at this time, or if you play Senzel then Dietrich at second base. Instead Bell and the Reds are confused. They get rid of Kemp, but instead of it making room to play the hot bats, they bring up these Triple A players. There is no room from Senzel's buddy they called up from minors. What is he, another outfielder ? That's the last thing they need.

The very fact that they keep finding ways not to play Dietrich is why Reds are a Last Place team, AGAIN.

BOO. Reds lost games this week they could have won, should have won. BOO.

So Dietrich hits home runs, Bell takes him out of the games. They bring up Reed who gives them 3 good relief innings and Reds were in dire need of a long reliever anyway, but the day after Reed does good, down goes Reed and up comes Van Meter. NO WONDER REDS IN LAST PLACE. NO WONDER.....BOO
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Even though Bell thoroughly pisses me off and I stated I'm never spending another dime on this team till he's fired I still ordered 5 Topps Nick Senzel rookie cards of his first HR for $30 to give my grandkids.. (well, mom to put away for them) They GOTTA be worth more than an expired lottery ticket and used toilet paper combined!  (although the toilet paper might be worth more depending on how bad you gotta go... Cool .) 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Bell needs to go..there's just no way around it. His managerial decisions have cost this team just too much already. He keeps juggling the lineup with no obvious path forward or even a half decent guess forward, just one stupid move after another. I have been disappointed in Reds and Bengals managers and coaches before, but NOTHING compares to how Bell has fumbled everything right out of the gate.
I hope the stands are absolutely empty tonight and anyone who does attend makes sure to BOO Bell every chance they get and let him and the team know under any certain circumstances he's not wanted any longer..  I'd rather have Marvin managing the Reds at this point.

Reply/Quote
MARVIN LEWIS AS REDS MANAGER! (He can't be any worse than Bell) 

Reply/Quote
They need to do away with this whole "closer" thing.

Iglesias is not good enough to be the person closing every single game. They should play the analytics game just like every other pitching change.
Reply/Quote
I can almost see using Iglesias last night. I don't think leaving him sitting on the bullpen bench would help his confidence, but now his confidence is shot and Bell has proven himself incapable of recognizing lack of confidence.
Even last night several people on Redszone were rooting for Iggy to close the game for the win, but Bell's other decisions have been mind bogglingly bad. Votto, the strikeout king of the season leading off, taking both DD and JW out of the game three night ago, not starting YP after getting hot, demoting CR after almost 3 innings of shutout relief and on and on. I'm almost surprised the team hasn't traded away Nick Senzel in favor of bringing back Homer Bailey and Billy Hamilton at the last minute just to sell tickets for the nostalgic crowd.. Jeeez.. Now I'm almost afraid I've given them some new idea.. 

Reply/Quote
Reds are up 6-1 in the second. Senzel is 2-2 with 2 homers in the lead off spot. Let’s see if they screw this one up.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I refuse to watch the Reds today since I saw Dietrich not in line-up. They are determined not to play him. He hits 2 homers Friday night and they take him out of the game early. He hits a homer Saturday. He hits a homer Sunday and they take him out of the game again. Reed pitched great Saturday and they sent him back to minors to bring up Van Whatever as another hitter. Reds needed that long reliever more. Dietrich is the hottest hitter in baseball right now and can play outfield, 2nd, 1st, and Reds don't play him. So the LAST PLACE Reds don't play the players that are hot. It is some political WLW Kentucky Cincy thing of politics of team over best players on the team. For the way they are doing this, They DESERVE LAST PLACE. I won't watch them. There is NO REASON for Dietrich not to be playing, I don't care what the Reds announcers come up with in lame excuses. It's all BS politics and they can keep it. If the Reds had the 1927 Yankees they would probably bench Ruth & Gehrig and their home runs saying they are committed to playing Wally Pipp and his 7 year contract. I've put up with a lot of garbage from Reds over the years, but Dietrich is the hottest bat in baseball, and Reds are just too stupid or too politics on who plays, because a hot bat that can play OF, 2nd, 1st should be in the line-up. I'm tired of watching Reds screw good players over like this. THEY DESERVE LAST PLACE THEY ARE IN.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 04:24 PM)kevin Wrote: I refuse to watch the Reds today since I saw Dietrich not in line-up.  They are determined not to play him.  He hits 2 homers Friday night and they take him out of the game early.  He hits a homer Saturday. He hits a homer Sunday and they take him out of the game again.  Reed pitched great Saturday and they sent him back to minors to bring up Van Whatever as another hitter. Reds needed that long reliever more.  Dietrich is the hottest hitter in baseball right now and can play outfield, 2nd, 1st, and Reds don't play him.  So the LAST PLACE Reds don't play the players that are hot.  It is some political WLW Kentucky Cincy thing of politics of team over best players on the team.  For the way they are doing this, They DESERVE LAST PLACE.  I won't watch them.  There is NO REASON for Dietrich not to be playing, I don't care what the Reds announcers come up with in lame excuses.  It's all BS politics and they can keep it.  If the Reds had the 1927 Yankees they would probably bench Ruth & Gehrig and their home runs saying they are committed to playing Wally Pipp and his 7 year contract.  I've put up with a lot of garbage from Reds over the years, but Dietrich is the hottest bat in baseball, and Reds are just too stupid or too politics on who plays, because a hot bat that can play OF, 2nd, 1st should be in the line-up.  I'm tired of watching Reds screw good players over like this. THEY DESERVE LAST PLACE THEY ARE IN.
At least the Reds are doing something right Kevin..They're uniting us as fans in agreement of just how poorly the team is operating..

Reply/Quote