Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds month of May games thread
The Reds are so boring. Midnight in Ohio and game is 4-4, they blew another lead. Dietrich and Winker 2 of Reds hottest bats not in line-up. Reds are determined NOT to play Dietrich. He hit 2 homers Friday but was taken out of game early, what team does that ? He hit homer Saturday in which Reed helped win, so Reed sent back to minors because heaven help is if the Reds would win games. Dietrich hits homer Sunday, his 4th on 3 days, and is again removed early from game, what team does that ? Now I would be lying if I said I'm watching Reds tonight. I switch over to check score. I just saw Van whatever make an out. I turned Reds back off. Boring.

So Reds have been in last all year and looks like last place for May 15th and maybe all year. They are determined to bench hot bats. They are determined to play no name minors. They are determined to finish in last while Kentucky Reds announcers sound like Hee Haw and not baseball. They are determined to bore the heck out of us all summer as they have the last 4 or 5 summers. I refuse to watch the best players sitting on the bench as last place Reds again build for years to come while sitting in Last Place. I have a remote. I have other channels. Fox Ohio has the worst thing on TV in the Reds again in Last Place. The Kentucky Reds are getting pretty boring. They are determined not to play their best players, no matter who the managers are each year. The Reds announcers do get in all the commercials for JTM, United Dairy Farmer, Curleys Ribs, just like Bob Braun getting in all his commercials in old Cincy TV history, so if you like Cincy commercials it's great TV.

So Winker and Dietrich didn't start Monday or Wednesday. Tune in Fox Ohio to watch Kentucky Reds play the Louisville Bats line-up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 12:55 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The Reds hosed by Bell's shifts yet again. The reason a 2nd baseman plays at his regular position when a righty is batting is because he might be behind the fastball or hit a breaking pitch off of the end of the bat, which is what happened. Should have been an inning ending play, instead it's an out of position untility player who runs to his left, fields the ball and then tries to switch his feet like a third baseman(a true second baseman would know how to throw that short throw off balance), takes too much time and the Reds give up two runs on a weak ground ball to second base and a bad throw to first.

Tie game 4-4 top of the 6th

YUP 

They were roasted alive by the stupid shifts, I hate them with a passion. They gave up that bunt to the guy early on with like the announcers said 5 outfielders ! They were burnt 3 times by it before I called it a night just after the two run fubar on the routine ground ball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 01:13 AM)kevin Wrote: The Reds are so boring.  Midnight in Ohio and game is 4-4, they blew another lead.  Dietrich and Winker 2 of Reds hottest bats not in line-up.  Reds are determined NOT to play Dietrich.  He hit 2 homers Friday but was taken out of game early, what team does that ?  He hit homer Saturday in which Reed helped win, so Reed sent back to minors because heaven help is if the Reds would win games.  Dietrich hits homer Sunday, his 4th on 3 days, and is again removed early from game, what team does that ?   Now I would be lying if I said I'm watching Reds tonight. I switch over to check score.  I just saw Van whatever make an out.  I turned Reds back off.  Boring.

So Reds have been in last all year and looks like last place for May 15th and maybe all year.  They are determined to bench hot bats. They are determined to play no name minors. They are determined to finish in last while Kentucky Reds announcers sound like Hee Haw and not baseball.  They are determined to bore the heck out of us all summer as they have the last 4 or 5 summers.  I refuse to watch the best players sitting on the bench as last place Reds again build for years to come while sitting in Last Place.  I have a remote. I have other channels. Fox Ohio has the worst thing on TV in the Reds again in Last Place.  The Kentucky Reds are getting pretty boring.  They are determined not to play their best players, no matter who the managers are each year. The Reds announcers do get in all the commercials for JTM, United Dairy Farmer, Curleys Ribs, just like Bob Braun getting in all his commercials in old Cincy TV history, so if you like Cincy commercials it's great TV.

So Winker and Dietrich didn't start Monday or Wednesday.  Tune in Fox Ohio to watch Kentucky Reds play the Louisville Bats line-up.

Bell is awful beyond words, I hate his musical lineups !

I was hoping the Reds could at least be playing somewhat meaningful baseball after the All Star break but they're gonna be 15 games out by mid June.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 09:20 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: YUP 

They were roasted alive by the stupid shifts, I hate them with a passion. They gave up that bunt to the guy early on with like the announcers said 5 outfielders ! They were burnt 3 times by it before I called it a night just after the two run fubar on the routine ground ball.

Two things.
1) I left out the word "routine" in my post. Two runs on a two out, ROUTINE ground ball to second base because, unlike common sense, the shift is designed on the hitter hitting HIS pitch and pulling the ball hard . . . instead of over a century's worth of proven success of forcing the hitter to hit the PITCHER'S pitch.

2) You called it a night after the fifth inning. The Reds offense took the night off after the 2nd inning . . . the Reds just can't knock out a pitcher when they have them on the ropes. Anderson was at 46 pitches after 2 innings, he then pitched the next 4 innings on just 50 pitches giving up only one hit. He went from having a pitcher up in the pen with only one out in the 2nd to pushing through 6 innings. If not for MLB manager's fear of the pitch count rising above 100, he easily could have come out to pitch the 7th inning.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 11:43 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Two things.
1) I left out the word "routine" in my post. Two runs on a two out, ROUTINE ground ball to second base because, unlike common sense, the shift is designed on the hitter hitting HIS pitch and pulling the ball hard . . . instead of over a century's worth of proven success of forcing the hitter to hit the PITCHER'S pitch.

2) You called it a night after the fifth inning. The Reds offense took the night off after the 2nd inning . . . the Reds just can't knock out a pitcher when they have them on the ropes. Anderson was at 46 pitches after 2 innings, he then pitched the next 4 innings on just 50 pitches giving up only one hit. He went from having a pitcher up in the pen with only one out in the 2nd to pushing through 6 innings. If not for MLB manager's fear of the pitch count rising above 100, he easily could have come out to pitch the 7th inning.

The Reds have played 37 games thus far so 333 innings if they batted in all 9 so say 325 innings. I'd love to know how many of those 320+ innings  they have multiple hits in ? 20 ?

We have two guys with respectable batting averages - Iglesias .287 Casali .275 Votto is below the Mendoza line again .210 with 6 RBI's Puig is at .197 Barnhart just keeps fading .179 ! Casali needs to be the starting catcher, Dietrich and Winker need to be in the lineup. I hope Senzel stays at leadoff.

If Puig and Votto don't pick it up and fast this season is going to be over before mid June !
Reply/Quote
Bell will keep fudging the lineup and keeping the hot bats out until nobody wants to play for him anymore and I think that's already begun.
Why should Winker, Dietrich and others have an iota of respect for him when they get benched and yet he keeps Votto in there every game to go 0-5 0-6 and 0-7 game after game after game? Jesse and Dietrich hit a couple of bombs the night before and the next day sit.. If I were either of those guys I'd demand to be traded and I wouldn't be too surprised if that starts becoming the news.. 
I'm beginning to wonder if Bell gives a pep talk after the first inning that goes like this: "OK guys, you hit great in the first inning. You deserve the rest of the game off. Just relax and hope our pitchers can outlast their pitchers for another 12 innings!" 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I don't think Bell finishes his contract and maybe not even the year. I had high expectations this year. I also think the GM should be fired.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 12:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: Bell will keep fudging the lineup and keeping the hot bats out until nobody wants to play for him anymore and I think that's already begun.
Why should Winker, Dietrich and others have an iota of respect for him when they get benched and yet he keeps Votto in there every game to go 0-5 0-6 and 0-7 game after game after game? Jesse and Dietrich hit a couple of bombs the night before and the next day sit.. If I were either of those guys I'd demand to be traded and I wouldn't be too surprised if that starts becoming the news.. 
I'm beginning to wonder if Bell gives a pep talk after the first inning that goes like this: "OK guys, you hit great in the first inning. You deserve the rest of the game off. Just relax and hope our pitchers can outlast their pitchers for another 12 innings!" 

I wonder who will lead off today, the pitcher ?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't think Bell finishes his contract and maybe not even the year.  I had high expectations this year.  I also think the GM should be fired.

I don't know that's what happens. Bell will probably at least get the rest of the season to keep screwing up and GM Krall wouldn't dare step on Buddy's little boy's toes. Buddy happens to be "VP, Sr. Advisor to President of Baseball Ops." which means essentially nothing other than he gets to keep his boy as manager as long as Castillini still has a soft spot for has-beens. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I wonder who will lead off today, the pitcher ?

Himself as he comes out of retirement to start himself at 3rd.. and bat leadoff, cleanup and pitch 5 innings himself..  "I'm going to show these young whippersnappers how the game should be played....errr..screwed up!"

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 03:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't think Bell finishes his contract and maybe not even the year.  I had high expectations this year.  I also think the GM should be fired.

Me too

Now don't get me wrong I had no delusions of World Series fame. But I thought we could hover around .500 and still be playing meaningful baseball after the All Star break. Be 3 or 4 games out of the wildcard in August. Still be enjoying the Reds possibly making a run. Having something to build on for next season.

The way it's looking now yet again we're gonna be in for a long summer.
Reply/Quote
Oh c'mon you negative Nancy's.. You really don't think Bell can turn this team into the surprise 2019 juggernaut world series champions with sheer willpower and determination?  Just look at his analytics that say, "Sorry guys...give up. We're gonna have the first ever 8 man outfield and rely on great pitching defense! No need to even bother trying to hit when our starting pitchers are gonna throw 125 no-hitters the rest of the way so we'll only need 1 run per game the rest of the way!" I find it tough to believe that nobody thinks our pitchers will suddenly learn to run 125 mph so they can not only throw 100 mph, but also run behind home plate to catch their own pitches.. Where's your optimism? 

I don't suppose anyone thinks I'm over doing it just a tad? Nahhhh..not me.. Nervous

Reply/Quote
IF the Reds get to 5 games under .500, then I will watch them again. I see on internet Dietrich hit another homer today. That makes 4 games with a home or more in the last 5 games he started. Actually 5 games started and 5 homers. I can see why Reds pull him out of games early or don't start him at all. Why would you want to play a guy hitting homers every day. No, they would rather play Van Minor League.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This is painful. It is not just that they are losing. It is the way they are blowing huge leads and losing.
Reply/Quote
Pretty amazing Votto finally got the day off. I was starting to wonder if he was going to play every game and never get another hit all season.

Reply/Quote
Reds win! (Crickets..... chirping)...

That says it all.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2019, 05:51 PM)kevin Wrote: IF the Reds get to 5 games under .500, then I will watch them again.   I see on internet Dietrich hit another homer today.  That makes 4 games with a home or more in the last 5 games he started.  Actually 5 games started and 5 homers.  I can see why Reds pull him out of games early or don't start him at all.  Why would you want to play a guy hitting homers every day.  No, they would rather play Van Minor League.

Dietrich is tied for the team lead in RBI's with Suarez so I'd say we will probably sit them both the next couple games. No sense either in putting in Casalli at .288 when you can play Barnyard at .172 and for his at bats is leading the team in strike outs ! Lets keep Winker sitting as well and keep Vanmeter and his .091 average going up there, it's not hurting anything to get him some at bats now these games don't matter.  Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
Nick with a 2 rbi triple.. 3-0 Straight away CF..Fielder dropped it at the wall instead of robbing him.....then votto walks and a fan interference double by Geno to score Senzel..4-0.. Nice inning thanks to some sloppy fielding by the Giants.. 

Reply/Quote
Luis has his nasty change working well again..  He still gets behind almost every batter, but finishes them off once they believe they can hit his changeup.. 

Reply/Quote
OK, Reds back to 5 games under .500 ball. Now to keep it up Saturday and Sunday and not go backwards. Hopefully Bell gets his hot bats into the line-up, and Reds not looking 3 years down the road. Some wins NOW and moving closer to .500 would be a good goal. Dietrich, Puig, Iglesias are good to see come to bat, and Winker if he's healthy. Suarez is hot. Senzel had a good start. They have some hot bats, just don't bench them to see what others can do. GET WINS NOW.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote