Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Redskin Game stock uo and down
(08-16-2019, 06:45 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Williams has sucked for years. He reacts too late and is usually a step or two behind almost every play. His crappy play flips the field for the other team once or twice a game. Most of his INTs last year were tipped passes and since the guy he was covering was wide open, he had no one near him to fight for the ball.

When Reggie Nelson left and the Bengals made a bad play on defense, you saw Pacman losing his mind after the play and Williams walking back to the huddle with his head down A LOT.

But he did intercept Ben Worthlesswigger a few years ago so some people will always think he's awesome, I guess.

Agreed... They let the wrong safety go last summer.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 06:45 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Williams has sucked for years. He reacts too late and is usually a step or two behind almost every play. His crappy play flips the field for the other team once or twice a game. Most of his INTs last year were tipped passes and since the guy he was covering was wide open, he had no one near him to fight for the ball.

When Reggie Nelson left and the Bengals made a bad play on defense, you saw Pacman losing his mind after the play and Williams walking back to the huddle with his head down A LOT.

But he did intercept Ben Worthlesswigger a few years ago so some people will always think he's awesome, I guess.

This is a really bad take. He graded out at 71.7 last season. On an awful defense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 07:53 AM)jason Wrote: Agreed... They let the wrong safety go last summer.

Iloka was constantly bashed during his time here. All he could do was throw big hits (and take penalties).

Reply/Quote
Stock Up:
Ryan Finley - His draft report read that he was full-field reader, it doesn't hurt him that he played a pro-style passing attack. Because he played 6 years of college football, he was good at using his eyes to bait safeties and disguise his intentions and good pocket poise to counter and defeat blitz-happy defenses, most importantly he trusts his talent and works with confidence. It's rang true so far.

I'm not one for QB controversies or one that just assumes the backup is better. History show's that 98 percent of the time that bites you in the butt and has plagued franchises like the Browns. It was like the black plague to most NFL teams, but teams like Green Bay have dealt with it. Most great teams don't have QB controversies, but having said that to say that Ryan Finley isn't applying some competition would be an understatement.

Zac Taylor - He gives everybody a fair chance, everybody that can catch a ball, has had a ball thrown their way. He's not afraid to give a guy a chance that has been balling hard at practice, where Marvin was much more reluctant. He's not afraid to go with his instincts or to listen to his staff cause he knows they might be seeing something he's not. Most people didn't have Drew Sample or Ryan Finley high on their list, but Zac Taylor did. He went with what he knew and both seem to be working out, but it is very earlier.

Defense - I know most people will say that they haven't looked great, which may be true. However, you have to realize that this defense, was arguably the worst defense in NFL history last year. If we finish 20th this year, that's a huge improvement. It's not where we want it to be, but it is an improvement. I've liked what I've seen from Pratt. They looked more comfortable and progressively better from game 1 to game 2.

Stock Down.

Penalties, I've seen more flags the last two games then an actual flag football game. This will need up costing us games if this happens in the season. It's still early and can be fixed.

Slow starts, I've seen some slow starts to the preseason games this year. The Bengals have looked better as the game has went on, to me, in both games. Which means Zac Taylor is making the neccessary adjustments, but we need to start a little faster and be more crisp from the get go.

Running Game/Run Blocking - We aren't getting a lot of push, I do see effort on their part. I see them sweating and working, but it just hasn't looked great so far. I don't think we have tried too hard to impose our will on the ground game much and I haven't seen much of our two top RB's this preseason. It looked better tonight with Price in.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:25 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Shawn Williams is having a pretty bad preseason. Burnt by Kelce, missed a tackle on AP, gave up a big play to Vernon Davis... 

I kept mocking SS to us in the draft....of course, it didn't happen.  It is too bad Fej got hurt as I think he is much more of a tackling machine than Williams.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I kept mocking SS to us in the draft....of course, it didn't happen.  It is too bad Fej got hurt as I think he is much more of a tackling machine than Williams.  

I like Fej a lot (at least his intensity) but he’s not as good as Shawn Williams. I think some of you are overreacting over a couple plays by really good players (Mahomes, Kelce, Peterson). AP is still damn good. He had 1042 yds last year and averaged 4.2.

Reply/Quote
It's only preseason, I get it, but I am impressed with Ryan Finley. Especially when you look at his preseason tape so far compared to Haskins and Murray. What is impressive, and why Finley will make it in the NFL, is how he handles pressure. He steps into the pocket and he can slide. One play he dipped his shoulder to avoid the pressure then slid up before hitting a WR 10+ yards down field. Last week he had to throw hot because there was an unblocked blitzer coming and he got it out quick to the HB for solid gain. Being able to recognize and deal with pressure is what separates guys who can play in the NFL and those who can't.

He reminds me of Kirk Cousins a bit. Takes the check downs but can wow you with some nice throws at times. He isn't challenging for a starting spot this year, however in a year or two I think he has a shot if he stays on this trajectory.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 12:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I just re-watched the first 3 drives. He played well in pass pro but in the run game, he lollygagged it down the line again and the LBer came through the line to tackle the RB at the LOS. That's the thing that keeps standing out to me. He's good in pass pro but really bad in run blocking. 

Also, i made a mistake. While i was watching the game listening to music, there was a hold on #67 (miller) and i thought the ref said 77. So, i was thinking, 2 holds and bad run blocking. 

The one hold Glenn was called for was pathetic.  He stoned that guy and was engaged when Dalton broke the pocket.  His hands were inside and the DE got caught with his feet pointed the wrong way and kind of awkwardly tripped and stumbled when he started to chase Dalton....and so they flagged Glenn.  Dumb.  None of those big name DEs did a damn thing tonight.  
Reply/Quote
It's pre season for officials too. listening on radio we were gifted a bs opi. if not called we may have lost
Reply/Quote
Stock Up: Ryan Finley, Tristan Vizcaino, Billy Price, Cordy Glenn, Stanley Morgan (for his superb blocking downfield), Michael Jordan, Alex Erickson, Carlos Dunlap.

Stock Down: Andy Dalton*, Randy Bullock, Shawn Williams, CJ Uzomah, Bobby Hart.

Sell Now: Jeff Driskel.

*It pains me to put Andy Dalton on the “down” list but he did not play well last night. I think the world of him but if we’re taking last night as a “snapshot” then I must be brutally honest and put Andy on the naughty list.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 02:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Drafting a S to replace Shawn Williams after a couple lackluster preseason games seems like a massive overreaction to me. Guy led the team in INT’s last season, and was one of the better players on that horrible defense.

I agree with the first point in terms of leading the team in INTs last year, but he was not one of the better players on defense.  He is horribly inconsistent and when he misses, he misses big-time.  If he were an offensive linemen and guys were getting a free run at the QB every so many plays, we wouldn't be saying "he opened a hole on that one". 

I just think he has zero instincts and poor tackling...two characteristics we really need at SS.  He will make a good play here and there, but overall I really wanted a Bates for SS to go with our Bates at FS.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:23 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Iloka was constantly bashed during his time here. All he could do was throw big hits (and take penalties).

To be fair, we had two SS and they had Iloka playing FS.  Want to see someone struggle, put Williams at FS.  And the PFF ranking is ok, not stellar, and that spot is so critical on this defense.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree with the first point in terms of leading the team in INTs last year, but he was not one of the better players on defense.  He is horribly inconsistent and when he misses, he misses big-time.  If he were an offensive linemen and guys were getting a free run at the QB every so many plays, we wouldn't be saying "he opened a hole on that one". 

I just think he has zero instincts and poor tackling...two characteristics we really need at SS.  He will make a good play here and there, but overall I really wanted a Bates for SS to go with our Bates at FS.  

According to PFF he was. I know we pick and choose when that’s relevant here, but I agree with them on that one. He was good last year.

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like Fej a lot (at least his intensity) but he’s not as good as Shawn Williams. I think some of you are overreacting over a couple plays by really good players (Mahomes, Kelce, Peterson). AP is still damn good. He had 1042 yds last year and averaged 4.2.

Fej came off the bench last year when Williams was ejected.  He was rated very well and made the game-saving play in the 4th quarter.  He has only had so many chances to start.  You can't say he isn't as good.  In limited action, he has been better.  I scouted him a ton at Illinois.  The guy is tough as nails and has incredible range.  Williams just doesn't seem to have any instincts at all.  Read and react and his reads are slow.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Fej came off the bench last year when Williams was ejected.  He was rated very well and made the game-saving play in the 4th quarter.  He has only had so many chances to start.  You can't say he isn't as good.  In limited action, he has been better.  I scouted him a ton at Illinois.  The guy is tough as nails and has incredible range.  Williams just doesn't seem to have any instincts at all.  Read and react and his reads are slow.  

Sure I can. It’s called an opinion. :p

And two different coaching staffs have agreed with it...

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why is WJ3 on your list? He didn’t even play...

Maybe I mistakenly thought I saw #22 on the field last night. Thank you for the correction and I’ll take him off the list.
Reply/Quote
Stock Up:

Hard to go up higher than it was after week 1, but Finley is proving he is our #2.

Auden Tate. They weren't staggering stats, but for those of you that listened and couldn't watch, he made a catch that was WAY behind him, and might have been an easy pick. He reached back across his body and just snatched it out of the air. He has amazing hands. Amazing. He absolutely needs to be on this team and he needs to play. Call him a hybrid TE/WR but always line him up outside and you might get by only carrying three other TEs. This kid is special and I love that he took the time off to work on his strength and conditioning.

Darius Phillips. Overcame a horrible week 1 and looked really good in the return game and coverage as well.

Jordan Willis. Looked strong coming off the edge, had a nice sack/fumble of Haskins. It was against #2s though.

Stock Down:

Yes, it is only the preseason, but Shawn Williams had better step up his game or he will be targeted all day by opposing QBs.

Uzomah. Shouldn't be starting over Sample. Not as good a blocker and unreliable hands. Sample is a fluid catcher of the ball. Never going to run by guys like Eifert, but can move the chains.

Trayveon Williams. Being injured is not his fault, but I haven't really seen the explosiveness I kept hearing about at camp.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:55 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sure I can. It’s called an opinion. :p

And two different coaching staffs have agreed with it...

Ok, exact words, Marsha... Hilarious

You can say "I believe" but you can't state it as fact.  Better?
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 08:56 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Maybe I mistakenly thought I saw #22 on the field last night.  Thank you for the correction and I’ll take him off the list.

He was in maybe one of the first series...he was chasing AP like the rest of them after Williams whiffed on the tackle.  
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2019, 09:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He was in maybe one of the first series...he was chasing AP like the rest of them after Williams whiffed on the tackle.  

I don’t remember seeing WJ3 out there at all, and he’s not showing up in any box scores...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/matchup?gameId=401128161

Reply/Quote