Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rep Rohrabacher: WH to unveil new marijuana reforms after election
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/white-house-to-unveil-federal-cannabis-reform-very-soon-says-gop-lawmaker

Representative Rohrabacher of CA, who is at risk of losing his seat, claimed on Fox that the White House has plans to introduce marijuana reform after the election, which would legalize medical marijuana and leave recreational use up to states.

This could be bs, coming from someone who is at risk of losing his seat in California to a Democrat.

This could also be true. If it is, it signals that Republicans are willing to do a 180 on an issue that they allowed the conservative values wing of their party to take precedent over rather than the limited government wing, and in the process they're taking a popular idea away from Democrats and offering it to the electorate.

It also could mean the end of Jeff Sessions, who is still heavily against legalization.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-12-2018, 12:37 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/white-house-to-unveil-federal-cannabis-reform-very-soon-says-gop-lawmaker

Representative Rohrabacher of CA, who is at risk of losing his seat, claimed on Fox that the White House has plans to introduce marijuana reform after the election, which would legalize medical marijuana and leave recreational use up to states.

This could be bs, coming from someone who is at risk of losing his seat in California to a Democrat.

This could also be true. If it is, it signals that Republicans are willing to do a 180 on an issue that they allowed the conservative values wing of their party to take precedent over rather than the limited government wing, and in the process they're taking a popular idea away from Democrats and offering it to the electorate.

It also could mean the end of Jeff Sessions, who is still heavily against legalization.

Can't see it being true without the POTUS having teased it yet.

If he thought he could even just say it (and be lying about it) to win votes he wouldhave by now.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
It is a huge money maker. I would not be surprised to see Trump support it.
(10-12-2018, 01:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is a huge money maker.  I would not be surprised to see Trump support it.

I'd be pretty surprised, since it's going to take money from giant industries and legacy conglomerates and lobbyists and so on, isn't it?  Big pharma hain't gonna like this...

Personally, I find the idea of "vote for us and then you'll see what we do" to be a bit of a cheap move.
(10-12-2018, 01:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd be pretty surprised, since it's going to take money from giant industries and legacy conglomerates and lobbyists and so on, isn't it?  Big pharma hain't gonna like this...

Personally, I find the idea of "vote for us and then you'll see what we do" to be a bit of a cheap move.

Well if Trump is truly an outsider as his supporters say, then he wouldn't give a damn about Big Pharma and support cannabis reformation.
http://fortune.com/2018/06/09/donald-trump-flip-flop-marijuana-legalization/

Quote:On Friday, President Donald Trump said he would “probably” support a new bipartisan bill that would return decision-making on marijuana laws to individual states. The bill would be a massive boon to the nascent marijuana industry, but even Trump’s support can’t guarantee its passage over opposition from many Republican leaders.

An article from a few months back, but Trump may not be the hard No some suggest.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-12-2018, 02:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: http://fortune.com/2018/06/09/donald-trump-flip-flop-marijuana-legalization/

An article from a few months back, but Trump may not be the hard No some suggest.

While I would support the measure it has gone nowhere since being introduced in April.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5485/all-actions?overview=closed#tabs

Easy for Trump to say he would "probably" support it if you know it won't make it out of committee.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-12-2018, 01:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd be pretty surprised, since it's going to take money from giant industries and legacy conglomerates and lobbyists and so on, isn't it?  Big pharma hain't gonna like this...

It's possible. 

I was just talking to Rep. Comer about Trump's push to expand ethanol production. The nutshell is Bush-era folks passed regulations that allowed for ethanol production and required blending to offset unstable gas prices.... but prohibited it during the summer (when demand for gasoline is the highest) so that oil companies would still be able to gouge consumers.

Trump expanded e15 production in the last couple weeks, which doesn't mean a ton outside of helping to stabilize gas prices a little. It did, however, take away from the oil industry, which is one of the biggest lobbying groups. 

Granted, they got a boost with the piece of crap that is New NAFTA, so maybe it was just a tradeoff. 

Big Pharma will just invest in marijuana production.
(10-12-2018, 02:33 PM)Benton Wrote: It's possible. 

I was just talking to Rep. Comer about Trump's push to expand ethanol production. The nutshell is Bush-era folks passed regulations that allowed for ethanol production and required blending to offset unstable gas prices.... but prohibited it during the summer (when demand for gasoline is the highest) so that oil companies would still be able to gouge consumers.

Trump expanded e15 production in the last couple weeks, which doesn't mean a ton outside of helping to stabilize gas prices a little. It did, however, take away from the oil industry, which is one of the biggest lobbying groups. 

Granted, they got a boost with the piece of crap that is New NAFTA, so maybe it was just a tradeoff. 

E15 is just government subsidies (welfare) for corporate farming. 

Politicians often try to act like they are helping "the little man" when they support farmers, but today's "farmers" are all just more large corporations.
(10-12-2018, 03:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: E15 is just government subsidies (welfare) for corporate farming.  I believe 90% of corn produced in this company is controlled by 4 companies.

Politicians often try to act like they are helping "the little man" when they support farmers, but today's "farmers" are all just more large corporations.

Eh, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I have no idea how many farmers there are producing corn that gets sold to produce ethanol. It's more than four. Hell, there's more than four in the town I live in. If you're talking biofuel production facilities, no idea. I know there are plants in at least 25 states (I only know that because Kentucky ranks 25th). Many of those are energy cooperatives.

Used to ethanol was heavily subsidized. Lots of those have passed as the market has become established.
(10-12-2018, 04:13 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I have no idea how many farmers there are producing corn that gets sold to produce ethanol. It's more than four. Hell, there's more than four in the town I live in. If you're talking biofuel production facilities, no idea. I know there are plants in at least 25 states (I only know that because Kentucky ranks 25th). Many of those are energy cooperatives.

Used to ethanol was heavily subsidized. Lots of those have passed as the market has become established.

I was talking about how large corporations control most of the crops grown in the United States, but my numbers were way off.  I have deleted my comment until I can do more research.
Hello. The "Republican Party" no longer exit. Its now the Trump Party. Trump party members will lie, cheat and flip/flop 180 degrees. What ever it takes to stay in power.
(10-12-2018, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Big Pharma will just invest in marijuana production.

I can certainly see that happening, still, wouldn't it be easier for them if Trump doesn't kill their goose that is currently laying the golden egg?

Every time it’s been on a ballot, the three lobbyist groups that spend the most to defeat legalization are, Big Pharma, Alcohol and Police/Correctional Officers.

Those three being the ones most against it legalizing, tells me it should be legalized because that’s who is benefitting the most from the prohibition.
I the WH had this in mind, why not do it before the midterms? I have to think it would be a boost to the president's popularity. Maybe they're afraid of backlash from the blue hairs and evangelicals.

I could see Trump doing it just to stick a thumb in Sessions' eye.
He already got Kanye, now Trump's newest aim is Snoop.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(10-15-2018, 08:02 PM)6andcounting Wrote: He already got Kanye, now Trump's newest aim is Snoop.

Snoop has been trolling Kanye for the last few weeks over his Trump boner, so I don't think Trump will succeed in getting Snoop on board with this alone.

(10-15-2018, 03:23 PM)samhain Wrote: I the WH had this in mind, why not do it before the midterms?  I have to think it would be a boost to the president's popularity.  Maybe they're afraid of backlash from the blue hairs and evangelicals.  

I could see Trump doing it just to stick a thumb in Sessions' eye.

I think he cares more about 2020 and wants this to be a post midterm talking point.

I fully believe and expect the fearless POTUS would bring back the Purge, if it meant winning in 2020. 

Anything and everything less, will not be unexpected.  He may even lift the 2 term limit on the presidency. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.