Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Reply from Mike Brown
(02-10-2017, 01:20 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: So are you accusing Derek of being full of S*** or are you saying someone else wrote this?? Or both I suppose lol

Someone who works for Mikey probably wrote it. His mail might get filtered through the staff.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Quote from Mike Brown after the 2010 season:

"The 2010 season was of course a huge disappointment, and all of us in the organization must share the blame. We believed that we had strengthened ourselves since our 2009 division championship, with key new ingredients and not many pieces lost. But the year reminded us that every season is a new enterprise, and our 2010 pieces obviously were not close to coming together.

"But I will not apologize for our overall performance under Marvin Lewis. Under him we are among a minority of teams (14 of 32) to win two division titles in the last six years. You may scoff, and no one here would deny that we are long overdue for postseason success, but I still believe this means something toward a realistic forecast for 2011 and beyond. We are not a team devoid of talent, and I believe that continuity with Marvin as head coach offers the best chance to bring us back to and beyond our division championship level of 2009"

This was actually a response to a fan letter, and here's a picture of the letter Mike sent:

http://whodeyfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Bengals-Lee.jpg

I'm sure I could find several similar quotes if I dig more.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 04:42 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Someone who works for Mikey probably wrote it. His mail might get filtered through the staff.

Here's an old Paul Daugherty article that talks about Mike Brown remembering a letter he wrote back to a fan:

http://www.enquirer.com/columns/daugherty/1997/11/110997_pd.html

Again, I could find more if I keep digging.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: [Image: 41346231.jpg]

[Image: 924ddc4ea98f72ec19a34b9102bebf70.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 01:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mike Brown is known for personally replying to letters written to him. He's thoughtful in that regard at least.

This also sounds like a typical Mike response. Cherry pick stats, promote mediocre results and offer no hope of change.

I don't doubt at all that this is legitimate.

So, you're saying FRED is in actuality Mike Brown?
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:45 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Needs better grammar. Must be a fake. I seriously doubt Mike Brown would even waste his energy replying to a fan. Unless this is a staff form letter.

It IS real.. If someone can tell me how to include a scanned version of the actual (on Bengal letterhead) in a reply to this board, I will do that. Thanks for your help..
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 04:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Quote from Mike Brown after the 2010 season:

"The 2010 season was of course a huge disappointment, and all of us in the organization must share the blame. We believed that we had strengthened ourselves since our 2009 division championship, with key new ingredients and not many pieces lost. But the year reminded us that every season is a new enterprise, and our 2010 pieces obviously were not close to coming together.

"But I will not apologize for our overall performance under Marvin Lewis. Under him we are among a minority of teams (14 of 32) to win two division titles in the last six years. You may scoff, and no one here would deny that we are long overdue for postseason success, but I still believe this means something toward a realistic forecast for 2011 and beyond. We are not a team devoid of talent, and I believe that continuity with Marvin as head coach offers the best chance to bring us back to and beyond our division championship level of 2009"

This was actually a response to a fan letter, and here's a picture of the letter Mike sent:

http://whodeyfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Bengals-Lee.jpg

I'm sure I could find several similar quotes if I dig more.
Shake, will you please tell me how to include a scanned (jpg) copy of Mike Brown's letter like you did here? I have tried to copy and paste but it doesn't stick to my reply. Thanks, Derrick
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 05:46 PM)Derrick Wrote: Shake, will you please tell me how to include a scanned (jpg) copy of Mike Brown's letter like you did here? I have tried to copy and paste but it doesn't stick to my reply. Thanks, Derrick

If you have a jpg copy, you could upload it to Imgur, get the 'share link' and then post as an image.

If that doesn't work, you could try posting it as an 'attachment'.
Reply/Quote
So MB believes in Marvin, we all would if he would get his head outta his a%% and WIN!
Reply/Quote
All we see on here is how great Andy's stats are ! Stats don't mean a thing unless you have a winner to go along wiith it!
Reply/Quote
We should all work for such a loyal boss.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 05:05 PM)Bengalsrob Wrote: So, you're saying FRED is in actuality Mike Brown?

Makes sense.  Both claim to be lawyers, although they're always busy doing something other than lawyering... Ninja
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:45 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: However, may an epiphany strike him

Or 1.21 gigawatts.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 12:11 AM)Derrick Wrote: There is so much **** in this letter. Although he did have the courtesy to reply.

February 3, 2017

Dear Mr. ___________,

I have received your letter and can understand your frustration. My response will not be what you want to hear, I know but since you made the effort to write, I will offer it.

You are right that a major missing piece for us has been advancement in the playoffs. We still have fine talent, and I sincerely believe we are better off planning for 2017 from the platform we have achieved, rather than tearing down and starting over.

I disagree with your assessment of Marvin Lewis. His 58-36-2 record since 2011 is the sixth best in the NFL. While we did not make the playoffs this year, Coach Lewis still deserves a lot of credit for leading our team to five straight playoff appearances. Only three other teams accomplished that.

Paul Alexander has had a lot of success in his 23 seasons with the team. The Bengals have been in the NFL's top 10 in fewest sacks allowed in five of the last seven seasons and Coach Alexander's lines have supported a 1,000-yard individual rushing season 14 times.

Every season is different and the pieces obviously did not come together this year. I certainly believe myself that we can quickly regain and surpass the level of our 2015 division championship team. Coach Lewis and Coach alexander have the experience and passion to accomplish this.

I don't presume I will sufficiently persuade you, but I hope this letter makes you understand my viewpoint. I wish you well personally, and we are striving to be ready to show our fans in September that our faith in our coaching staff is justified.

Sincerely,

Mike Brown

Well, I agree with Mikey boy in one thing and that is that this team does have talent and it is better to advance from where they are than to tear it apart and start over.

However, my definition of advancing from where we are is probably different than what Mike Brown's is. Paul Alexander may have done a good job at one time, but this last year was horrifying.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 10:58 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Makes sense.  Both claim to be lawyers, although they're always busy doing something other than lawyering... Ninja
I laughed way harder at this than I should have.

(02-10-2017, 11:02 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Or 1.21 gigawatts.

Make sure it hits 88mph, Marty !

I can only imagine where/when you'd send him.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 11:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Even if this were true, does Mike Brown think a 1000 yard rusher is some sort of great accomplishment?

It's 62.5 Yds per game. That's not great by any means.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2017, 05:34 PM)Derrick Wrote: It IS real.. If someone can tell me how to include a scanned version of the actual (on Bengal letterhead) in a reply to this board, I will do that. Thanks for your help..

(02-10-2017, 06:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If you have a jpg copy, you could upload it to Imgur, get the 'share link' and then post as an image.

If that doesn't work, you could try posting it as an 'attachment'.

He explained how to post the letter. NOW POST THE EFFIN LETTER ALREADY! Pissed

Argh...... (Dog leaps up from chair, flips over table and laptop crashes to floor while yelling) "Who the hell cares anyway?"

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 11:58 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Argh...... "Who the hell cares anyway?"

And the 2017 Bengals team slogan was born.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2017, 11:52 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: It's 62.5 Yds per game. That's not great by any means.

If Mike truly judges rushing success from an arbitrary bulk rushing number for a single player, he's a freaking moron. You want to look at team efficiency and compare it against other teams. 

I don't think for a second he's that dumb. I just think he's defensive and stubborn beyond belief. He would rather twist numbers and defend mediocre results than be proactive and aggressively seek ways to better this team. He's lazy and complacent, and that mentality will always hold this team back.
Reply/Quote
The stats he references only reinforce the idea that this organization is less than.

What an absolute joke.
Reply/Quote