Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Reply from Mike Brown
(02-13-2017, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious, but if it really is that simple then why do so few teams succeed on any type of consistent basis?

There is no other precedent for Marvin's awful record in playoff games and games against the Steelers.

It is beyond irrational that Bodine is still the center.

Why did we spend a first round draft pick on a guard when we have no intention of re-signing the player ( because he is a guard) to a second contract if he performs ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 08:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not peeing on his fans and calling it rain would be a start. He could've just focused on being unhappy with the results and striving to be better. Instead he rattled off cherry picked stats as a means to defend results that are mediocre overall - at best. I guess when you opt to keep employing a coach that the rest of the world thinks should've been fired 3 years ago, you have to justify it in your own mind somehow. Just don't expect fans - or anyone else - to buy the BS.

What stats were Cherry pick?

I'm sure OP complained about Marvin and Alexander (he can correct me if I'm wrong). If he would have complained about Andy, would it be cherry picking to not include his post-season performances? Or if he complained about Eifert's durability would it be cherry-picking to point to his dominance when healthy?

Bottom-line Mr Brown gave a thoughtful and courteous reply. Folks are just mad. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 10:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What stats were Cherry pick?

I'm sure OP complained about Marvin and Alexander (he can correct me if I'm wrong). If he would have complained about Andy, would it be cherry picking to not include his post-season performances? Or if he complained about Eifert's durability would it be cherry-picking to point to his dominance when healthy?

So first you say he wasn't cherry picking, then you seem to be making the argument that it's okay to cherry pick because he was answering a question

cher·ry-pick
ˈCHerēˌpik/
verb
gerund or present participle: cherry-picking
selectively choose (the most beneficial items) from what is available.

Using Marv's record over the last 6 years is cherry picking. It's taking his best regular season stretch, and ignoring his previous 8 years as well as his playoff record - which is why most folks "just want to be mad".

Bringing up 1000 yard rushers as a defense for PA is asinine. That's a very archaic way of judging rushing success. We could have a 1000 yard rusher and be among the least efficient and productive rush offenses in the league. That's actually happened many times over the last decade.

I think it's very thoughtful of Mike to actually take time to write back disgruntled fans himself. He doesn't seem like a bad person at all. That doesn't make his thought process any less frustrating though. I get that you probably agree with him - at the very least on Marv. Maybe on Paul too.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 10:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What stats were Cherry pick?

Seriously, bfine? 

Did he somehow forget the years before his 5 year run? Why was that not taken into consideration? Is he taking all the bad years, throwing them out the window, and saying "see, he's a top 6 coach if you take all the bad years away". Because that's totally logical. 

It's insulting and really shows his thought process when making these decisions, and it's rather pathetic.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 06:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If its that hard to win a playoff game why dont other teams go 27 years without one?

I guess we just have bad luck?

Well, there's no denying that we have bad luck.  When you add ineptitude to it, this is what you get.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious, but if it really is that simple then why do so few teams succeed on any type of consistent basis?

We're human and make mistakes?
Reply/Quote
It could have been worse.
He could have written back to say, "I'm the team owner and don't care what you or anyone else thinks so crawl back into the fan hole you came from and stop pestering me. And one more letter from you and I'll move the team to Guatemala."
Thankfully that didn't happen..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 09:38 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: We're human and make mistakes?

The Bengals should be renamed to The Mistake Manufacturing Algamated Conglomerated Corporation of America ..or just MMACCA for short. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 01:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: It could have been worse.
He could have written back to say, "I'm the team owner and don't care what you or anyone else thinks so crawl back into the fan hole you came from and stop pestering me. And one more letter from you and I'll move the team to Guatemala."

Honestly I'd welcome that. Good excuse to pick out a team with competent management.

Or just be a casual fan like I am with the NBA.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 02:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So first you say he wasn't cherry picking, then you seem to be making the argument that it's okay to cherry pick because he was answering a question

cher·ry-pick
ˈCHerēˌpik/
verb
gerund or present participle: cherry-picking
selectively choose (the most beneficial items) from what is available.

Using Marv's record over the last 6 years is cherry picking. It's taking his best regular season stretch, and ignoring his previous 8 years as well as his playoff record - which is why most folks "just want to be mad".

Bringing up 1000 yard rushers as a defense for PA is asinine. That's a very archaic way of judging rushing success. We could have a 1000 yard rusher and be among the least efficient and productive rush offenses in the league. That's actually happened many times over the last decade.

I think it's very thoughtful of Mike to actually take time to write back disgruntled fans himself. He doesn't seem like a bad person at all. That doesn't make his thought process any less frustrating though. I get that you probably agree with him - at the very least on Marv. Maybe on Paul too.

(02-14-2017, 09:25 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Seriously, bfine? 

Did he somehow forget the years before his 5 year run? Why was that not taken into consideration? Is he taking all the bad years, throwing them out the window, and saying "see, he's a top 6 coach if you take all the bad years away". Because that's totally logical. 

It's insulting and really shows his thought process when making these decisions, and it's rather pathetic.

He is not cherry picking he is taking the half decade plus in its entirety. I could see "cherry picking" if he tried to eliminate a couple years during that stretch, due to injury, ect.... or pointed to some good things Marvin did early in his Bengal career.  He didn't do that. he also didn't just bring up 1,000 yard rushers as a defense for PA, he also mentioned keeping the QB clean. What of those were cheery picked?

ANYBODY type me up a response that would have appeased them, while retaining Marvin and Alexander. WTS, I thin PA is well past his prime and they should have parted ways with Marvin at the end of this season.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 05:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He is not cherry picking he is taking the half decade plus in its entirety. I could see "cherry picking" if he tried to eliminate a couple years during that stretch, due to injury, ect.... or pointed to some good things Marvin did early in his Bengal career.  He didn't do that. he also didn't just bring up 1,000 yard rushers as a defense for PA, he also mentioned keeping the QB clean. What of those were cheery picked?

ANYBODY type me up a response that would have appeased them, while retaining Marvin and Alexander. WTS, I thin PA is well past his prime and they should have parted ways with Marvin at the end of this season.  

My feelings as well.....but maybe both should have been gone after 2015.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 11:04 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You guys act like the man receives thousands of letters. I bet he gets a small handful a week, if that.

Maybe that's the problem? He's old school and if he receives more letters than he can respond to, then he will feel the urge to make a change, or have a feeling this business is too much for him to manage? I believe we should call for every fan to write their concerns to him ASAP and inform him of our displeasure in his direction. Whats the friggin address? I will write as well!

Reply/Quote

Except for the Guatemala part, he did just that.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 09:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Maybe that's the problem? He's old school and if he receives more letters than he can respond to, then he will feel the urge to make a change, or have a feeling this business is too much for him to manage? I believe we should call for every fan to write their concerns to him ASAP and inform him of our displeasure in his direction. Whats the friggin address? I will write as well!
Cincinnati Bengals

1 Paul Brown Stadium
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Come on, let's all write a letter. Insert some of your replies to OP because they are really good.
Reply/Quote

They could be the Guatemala Bengal Spiders.

[Image: cb240d2499e77f6b9908c3094790a68a.jpg]

And yes...that is the stuff nightmares are made of.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 04:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly I'd welcome that. Good excuse to pick out a team with competent management.

Or just be a casual fan like I am with the NBA.

I'm very seriously struggling to find hope and reasons to continue following this team under Mike Brown. I'm like 98% sure everything I'm fearing is going to transpire this off season.

We'll end up losing Zeitler, Burkhead, and Kirkpatrick. We'll retain most if not all of the dead weight - Maualuga, Peko, Hunt, Bodine. and Ogbuehi. And we'll keep the giant turd A. Jones. Paul Alexander will retain his position of Mike's fave and continue running the show on the O-line.

We'll sign nothing but a couple bottom of the barrel FA's and go into next season with very little changed ! We'll end up going 8-8 and Mike will sign ole Marvin up for a couple more seasons with the "improvement".

The story is never going to be any different until Mike is no longer in charge.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 05:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He is not cherry picking he is taking the half decade plus in its entirety. I could see "cherry picking" if he tried to eliminate a couple years during that stretch, due to injury, ect.... or pointed to some good things Marvin did early in his Bengal career.  He didn't do that. he also didn't just bring up 1,000 yard rushers as a defense for PA, he also mentioned keeping the QB clean. What of those were cheery picked?

If you agree they should both be gone, I'm not sure what your battle is here. Of course people are going to be mad at any defense of those two. They should've been looking for jobs last month. So any defense of them is going to draw the ire of fans, especially when he's highlighting the success they've had, and not highlighting (and apologizing for) any negatives - which are significant. 

In short, writing letters is nice, but by not firing underperforming coaches (which is why the letter was written), Mike puts himself in a no-win situation. Words aren't going to make anyone happy at this point. He can either write a bunch of nothing and get a "blah" response, or he can make excuses and piss people off further.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:30 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you agree they should both be gone, I'm not sure what your battle is here. Of course people are going to be mad at any defense of those two. They should've been looking for jobs last month. So any defense of them is going to draw the ire of fans, especially when he's highlighting the success they've had, and not highlighting (and apologizing for) any negatives - which are significant. 

In short, writing letters is nice, but by not firing underperforming coaches (which is why the letter was written), Mike puts himself in a no-win situation. Words aren't going to make anyone happy at this point. He can either write a bunch of nothing and get a "blah" response, or he can make excuses and piss people off further.

Winner!!! Cancel Christmas!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm very seriously struggling to find hope and reasons to continue following this team under Mike Brown. I'm like 98% sure everything I'm fearing is going to transpire this off season.

We'll end up losing Zeitler, Burkhead, and Kirkpatrick. We'll retain most if not all of the dead weight - Maualuga, Peko, Hunt, Bodine. and Ogbuehi. And we'll keep the giant turd A. Jones. Paul Alexander will retain his position of Mike's fave and continue running the show on the O-line.

We'll sign nothing but a couple bottom of the barrel FA's and go into next season with very little changed ! We'll end up going 8-8 and Mike will sign ole Marvin up for a couple more seasons with the "improvement".

The story is never going to be any different until Mike is no longer in charge.

If all that happens, 8-8 is pretty damn optimistic!   Hell, if it stays the same as last year, it's optimistic! LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

The truth? 

Marvin has been the leader of this team for 14 years. He's done great things in the community, with the players, and has been instrumental in the development of this football team. While he's not yet achieved with the level of success we would like, that shouldn't take away from what he's done off the field with these players and the community. We have all the faith in the world that Marvin will lead us to a Super Bowl victory. We don't want to break the continuity we have going with the young, promising players we have. 

He doesn't have to treat us like a mushroom, ya know?
Reply/Quote