Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Report: Bengals are trying to sign Tee Higgins long term
(03-05-2024, 05:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Possibly, but the Panthers need SO many pieces that they may be reluctant to give up a pair of picks.  Perhaps we could have better luck with the Giants?  They have 2 second round picks, if they would offer #39 and #70, that would still give the Bengals 5 picks in the top 80.  With that much early draft capital, the Bengals would be free to move up and down for whomever they wanted on day 2.

I like this plan as well. I think this draft is PERFECT for the Bengals in terms of what they need & where the draft is positionally strong.

The more 3rd rd & higher picks the better.
Reply/Quote
Wait.....

Tee & The Bengals 2nd for JJ straight up.

Bengals lose minds by signing JJ & Chase long term.

Add CEH to really get the band back together!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:16 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Wait.....

If Tee wants 26 million and Jefferson would take 30 million yes.  I would imagine however Jefferson probably wants more and if he would take 30 million, the Vikings would rather pay him that than pay Tee 26 million
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:41 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If Tee wants 26 million and Jefferson would take 30 million yes.  I would imagine however Jefferson probably wants more and if he would take 30 million, the Vikings would rather pay him that than pay Tee 26 million

Probably correct on both points.
Reply/Quote
I just looked at the list of available free agents. If there is one player I could pick from that list as a dream scenario signing, it would be Chris Jones.

I honestly feel like re-signing Tee is about an equal impact to signing Chris Jones.

If Tee were on the market he would be my dream signing. Chris Jones a close second.

If the bengals could sign both that would be cool. But one of the two is good. I don’t know enough about the lesser known free agents to comment. But I’m expecting them to sign Tee and pick up some bargain FAs with maybe a B signing or two.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 08:43 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I just looked at the list of available free agents. If there is one player I could pick from that list as a dream scenario signing, it would be Chris Jones.

I honestly feel like re-signing Tee is about an equal impact to signing Chris Jones.

If Tee were on the market he would be my dream signing. Chris Jones a close second.

If the bengals could sign both that would be cool. But one of the two is good. I don’t know enough about the lesser known free agents to comment. But I’m expecting them to sign Tee and pick up some bargain FAs with maybe a B signing or two.

I haven't posted in this thread, but the entire time I've been reading I keep thinking my answer would be Tee Higgins.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:16 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Wait.....

CEH has been a complete disappointment no thanks. LOts of better options out there.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 11:45 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm still going with the outcome that Tee remains on the roster this season.

Bonus: Us fans will speculate that he's upset about the tag if he has bad body language on the sideline during a game, if he runs a poor route, or misses time with injury. It will be a season-long discussion on Bengals Board. Smirk

It'll just be 2022 all over again, just replace all the Jessie Bates in the comments with Tee Higgins.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 05:42 PM)J24 Wrote: The Panthers also don't have a #1 WR. Which they need desperately. If I were Duke I'm calling Carolina about a Tee for Derrick Brown deal.

Actually, you want to wait for them to call.  If the Bengals are the ones reaching out, then they are appearing "needy" to get something done.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2024, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, I love the guy and am okay with us trying to extend him long term if it doesn't affect us upgrading the trenches, but Tee is banged up a 
lot and is not a great athlete or somethin'. He isn't really fast, he is just really good using his size, length and body to box Defenders out. I have 
seen quite a few WR's in this Draft that I think could be upgrades with the same size, Brian Thomas Jr for example who is faster with the same 
size who could be there at 18.

All I can say is if we can get a mid tier RT like Onwenu, Eluemunor, Trent Brown while adding a top DT in FA I would be more than fine with
working on a long term deal with Tee. But if Tee costs us one of these 2 positions we will be relying completely on rookies in the trenches and I
don't like that with our poor history of drafting in the trenches and a better history of drafting WR's.

If the Bengals take a wideout at 18 I'm burning all my gear!
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 09:20 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: If the Bengals take a wideout at 18 I'm burning all my gear!

The wise Bengals fan never stakes their well being on the team doing sensible things in the draft. Though we have been better in recent years than 90s early 2000s era. 

I don't think we'd take a wideout in the first this year however I won't stake anything on that belief. 

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, you want to wait for them to call.  If the Bengals are the ones reaching out, then they are appearing "needy" to get something done.

What? 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 11:17 AM)J24 Wrote: What? 

It's simple negotiation etiquette, The one receiving the call generally negotiates the terms of the deal.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are not gonna trade Higgins ynless it is for a VERY lopsided trade.

Higgins & change for Jefferson. A first AND another day 2 pick. Something like that.

And that won't happen due to the WR strength in the draft. But beyond the top 3 (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze) the chances of getting a guy who matches Higgins in year 1 is low. And we do not want to go backwards.

We will let Yoshi & Jones develop for a year. Maybe draft a Day2 Boyd replacement or bring him back for cheap. Tag & trade on the table next year, though.

This year, I think priority #1 in FA will be DT. Jones/Wilkins/Williams. If we land one, the we downshift to Reader and a vet safety. With what is left, then best value between RT (Eluemunor?), CB4 (Chido?), WR3 (Boyd?), TE (Fant?), P (Townsend?), and maybe a IOL uograde.

If we whiff on a premium DT, then I'd make a run a premium OTs (Smith, Onwenu) instead, with the rest the same.

I think we have too many holes to land 2 big fish (Wilkins, Onwenu) and leave the rest to the draft & min guys.

I'd rank them:

1. DT (2). Need at least two Run stopper, plus interior pass rush guy. There are some draft guys that could help. Murphy or Newton Rd1. Sweat, Jackson, or a number of DTs Rd2-4. But there are also ELITE 3Ts in FA (Jones, Wilkins, and Williams is close) and an elite run stopper (Reader). If Reader is one of the two, we may need to draft a NT type to uograde/cover for him while he recovers. Though a lower priority if we have Wilkins or Williams or Jones,,who are all good vs the run.

2. RT. If DT isn't our biggest need, RT is. But the quality of FA RTs is lower, and the abundance of available RT guys in Rd1 is MUCH higher. Onwenu has been mostly a guard and Smith is 33 with few healthy seasons recently, though last year was one. The appeal of signing a RT in FA is it opens up the draft. If Bowers falls, we could nab him with RT spoken for. It is a powerful fantasy. But most likely, just that. Bowers is likely long gone before #18.

Now, if we whiff in premium DTs, or somehow can restructure enough guys to create enough space so I can sign a DT, Onwenu, and have enough to fill 2 more holes (Reader, vet S, CB4, WR3, TE) then I am OK. If not, then no.

Basicall. y, I am willing to count on my Day 1 & Day 2 picks to fill needs (RT, WR3, +TE/CB4) but not Rd4 & beyond unless you are talking P or LB/RB depth, CB5, IOL depth, etc.
Reply/Quote
Sorry if it's been discussed already but there's one question that keeps gnawing away at me:

Would you still draft a WR high (say, somewhere in the first three rounds) if you knew Tee was coming back to play on the tag? So in effect, draft a guy to stash for a year?

I honestly don't know. Seems like a missed opportunity no matter how you look at it. Draft a guy this year and you prevent yourself from addressing an actual need that could help you win the SB right away. Don't draft a guy (from this relatively strong WR class) and you may regret that in a year, when you wont have the same cap flex to fill that hole through free agency. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

What would you do? Confused
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 01:14 PM)tms Wrote: Sorry if it's been discussed already but there's one question that keeps gnawing away at me:

Would you still draft a WR high (say, somewhere in the first three rounds) if you knew Tee was coming back to play on the tag? So in effect, draft a guy to stash for a year?

I honestly don't know. Seems like a missed opportunity no matter how you look at it. Draft a guy this year and you prevent yourself from addressing an actual need that could help you win the SB right away. Don't draft a guy (from this relatively strong WR class) and you may regret that in a year, when you wont have the same cap flex to fill that hole through free agency. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

I would draft a receiver, either way.  The talent pool is deep, the team needs to recognize this and not get left out, like they did with TE last draft.  Besides, what if Tee does stay and play on the tag?  He lost significant time with a pair of injuries last season, still need to have a talent in waiting for when that moment arises.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 09:20 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: If the Bengals take a wideout at 18 I'm burning all my gear!

You'd be mad at them drafting one of the only few positions they seem to be good at in recent years?

If you can get a near-quality replacement in the draft for a very expensive player and can thus turn around use that saved money toward other positions, you should do it.
Bengals offense is very friendly for WR production and this WR class is pretty good.
I think the Bengals should have no issue finding a WR who can put up ~1000 yards in place of Higgins.
Heck, they might just plan to take a WR and not even trade Higgins given they have run a majority of 11 personnel these past few years.
Then, if/when Higgins leaves, they still have a good WR to become the new 2nd passing option.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Well, that would be stupid as a future replacement for Tee and Boyd is needed and we are pretty good at drafting WR's and we are 
pretty terrible at drafting OL. I would never burn my Bengal gear, but it would be a massive mistake to overpay Tee and forget about
the trenches in Free Agency. Of course I am for taking OL or DT at 18, but getting a cheap WR with just as much upside is Tee after
having a good FA addressing OL and DT would be a good move, don't know what you are talking about.

(03-06-2024, 02:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You'd be mad at them drafting one of the only few positions they seem to be good at in recent years?

If you can get a near-quality replacement in the draft for a very expensive player and can thus turn around use that saved money toward other positions, you should do it.
Bengals offense is very friendly for WR production and this WR class is pretty good.
I think the Bengals should have no issue finding a WR who can put up ~1000 yards in place of Higgins.
Heck, they might just plan to take a WR and not even trade Higgins given they have run a majority of 11 personnel these past few years.
Then, if/when Higgins leaves, they still have a good WR to become the new 2nd passing option.

Damn rights Ochocincos. I don't understand a Bengal fan burning his gear for us replacing talent that will be leaving.

Tee would of signed an extension already if he was going to be here long term.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 12:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: ****. But beyond the top 3 (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze) the chances of getting a guy who matches Higgins in year 1 is low. *****

What about Brian Thomas?. 4.33 in the 40-yard dash. 6'4" like Higgins. 9.97 RAS score (10th best among WRs since 1987). Nate first opened up my eyes to Thomas as a possible replacement for Higgins, and the more that I see, the more I like. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 01:14 PM)tms Wrote: Sorry if it's been discussed already but there's one question that keeps gnawing away at me:

We are still down a receiver with losing Boyd people are forgetting. So we need a legit Boyd replacement. And Jones and Yoshi can't really be relied on yet (enough to pass on receiver). 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote