Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Report: Tee Higgins could be traded if extension can't be reached
(02-03-2023, 07:05 PM)BengalB Wrote: It kinda grates my nerves that he’s played so well here but now it’s time for his “real” contract he’s demanding absolutely outrageous money.

Smart move is to trade him for a 1st rounded, etc.

Have much more respect when they can work together as a team and keep everyone.

I don't know. I've thought we wouldn't be able to keep him since we drafted Chase. We couldn't keep Marvin Jones with Aj and Higgins is better than Jones. Tee is also a borderline #1 so why wouldn't he be going for #1 money. The issue will be if we let Tee go finding another big receiver. Tee's ability to go up and get the ball would be missed.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 07:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We have absolutely no idea what kind of money he’s “demanding.” This is a clickbait article full of pure speculation.

You're not technically wrong.  

Given the agent (Mulgheta), I'd say it's a pretty solid guess, though.  His reputation is one of getting his player the most possible money no matter what.  He's the Scott Boras of the NFL.  Players don't hire that kind of guy oifthey aren't trying to max out the money.  

The one thing I can say based on pure numbers and logic is this: the number just don't add up, no matter how much we all want them to.  Burrow and Chase will make up probably over a third of the cap once they get extensions.  Add Tee to that and you're looking at almost half the cap on 3 guys.  It would be a major challenge to field 51 more guys with half the cap gone.  

That's the rub to me, and I dislike it as much as anyone on here.  Even if Tee takes a reasonable deal, it's going to be tough to field a legit team with that kind of cap gymnastics.
Reply/Quote
Will get flack for this but screw it.

Blows my mind Tee, Chase AND Boyd - all on the field at the same time - couldn’t get more separation or open a heck of a lot more than they did.

Love all 3 but overall …. this drove me nuts more times than I can remember.

Tee is great - but not elite. Too spotty and inconsistent.

If we can get great money for him in exchange for a legit OLine to keep JB upright - all we need is Irwin lol
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 05:06 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Then you go short on defence and trust Lou to turn 5th/6th rounders in to starters.

Those 3 are the future of the franchise and have to be kept together.

Not sure I would count on Lou doing that. I'd say our biggest contributors on defense have been free agents. I like Tee but I don't think keeping him long term is realistic. Also I just saw on Twitter that it wasn't a report but an article someone wrote. No indication that the team is looking to trade Tee or that he's asking for outrageous money. Also with our past asking prices I don't think they're is anyway a team offer what we'd accept. I never realized Washington at one point offered 2 1sts for Chad? Has anyone heard this before? And what year was this?
Reply/Quote
What is really annoying about that "breaking news" tweet is that ANYONE with any sort of NFL IQ should know that the Bengals will be fielding calls from any number of other teams asking about a Tee trade. And all of this breaking news coming off a Paul Dehner column that was discussing all the possibilities surrounding a number of Bengals free agents and older nearing end-of-contract players so they aren't even breaking news. They are taking someone's opinion as fact and claiming ownership

1) The Bengals have a QB who will require a very very expensive contract extension
2) The Bengals have another even better WR who will require a very very expensive contract extension
3) Tee is up for his own very very expensive extension
4) The perception is the Bengals can't afford all 3 extensions in addition to other necessary extensions from the defensive side therefore Tee will become a free agent in a year
5) Teams don't want to compete for Tee on the open market because his price will go even higher
6) Thus, let's see if we can trade for him via the AJ Brown blueprint because everyone knows it is easier to negotiate with someone when they are already on your team
7) In conclusion, the phones will ring. But will the Bengals answer? It will all depend on who calls and what they have to say.

WE ALL knew that...so why are sportswriters acting like this is some sort of state secret they are announcing to the world.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 07:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Suggesting we trade Tee to the RAVENS should be a bannable offense.
Why? We weaken them by taking their first round pick and they're not exactly a team known to utilize receivers too much. What we'd get in return- being able to draft Meyer and an offensive lineman, would make us so good that the Ravens won't be able to even give us a respectable game.
(02-03-2023, 07:40 PM)samhain Wrote: Or KC for that matter.  If I trade him, it's to the other conference.
Maybe not KC but that's just because they can actually play with us and Mahomes can utilize his talent.
(02-03-2023, 07:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not just because we'd be helping out hated division rivals, but also we'd be doing Tee dirty by sending him to a team that can't throw to the WR. I hope he does well wherever he is, just not against us. Lol
So you don't want to send him to a division rival because he'd hurt us, but then later in the same sentence you say they can't even throw to the receivers?!

That sounds like the PERFECT team to send him to!

Hilarious

(02-03-2023, 08:19 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not sure I would count on Lou doing that. I'd say our biggest contributors on defense have been free agents. I like Tee but I don't think keeping him long term is realistic. Also I just saw on Twitter that it wasn't a report but an article someone wrote. No indication that the team is looking to trade Tee or that he's asking for outrageous money. Also with our past asking prices I don't think they're is anyway a team offer what we'd accept. I never realized Washington at one point offered 2 1sts for Chad? Has anyone heard this before? And what year was this?

I forget what year it was but it was when Chad was holding out because Drew Rosendouche convinced him that he deserved more money.

They offered but Mike was too stubborn. 
Reply/Quote
We're going to lose some good players over the next 2 years No way around it.

Gotta just hope we draft well and develop guys.

These last 2 seasons were really a big opportunity to win it all.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to extend Tee, but say we couldn't and an AJ Brown type offer is out there of a 1st and 3rd...that's pretty tempting.

Get 2 guys on rookie contracts for 4 and 5 years.

Say we pay $20 million...we'll lose probably 2 players elsewhere. It just comes down to numbers.
Reply/Quote
Turns out the "report" was actually idle speculation misstated as a report...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 09:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: Turns out the "report" was actually idle speculation misstated as a report...

Whenever i see a report saying something thats's this vague and cookie cutter I always assume some writer just got bored.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Paul’s article was written differently than the tweet, plus the Atlantic doesn’t cover the NFL.

We will get a kings ransom for Tee if he’s traded. He’s not even in his prime yet and he’s put up back to back 1000 yard seasons.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 06:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: they spent more over 60 million last year on 3 Oline, plus drafted last two years 4 Oline in first 4 rounds.. So that is SEVEN new bodies in 2 years, that is serious...It is not about taking it serious they are, it is about having your FAs work out and your draft picks that is where we are behind KC....

Actually the Bengals spent $28M out of pocket this season for those 3 free agents.

Reply/Quote
If Bengals could sign him on a friendly deal great but don't see that happening nor should it. Google has his net worth at $3 million which to me is a lot but to an NFL starting WR its not.

Higgins deserves to be paid. So it probably comes down to him or Chase and we know Chase is Burrow's main dog. Plus Chase does the little things like blocking and such anyhow.

So if Bengals can work it out with him then do it now, and if not ? Trade him this year before he walks for free next year.

If you trade him then you have the extra 1st round pick or more and money to spend in FA. For the $25 million he will seek the Bengals can buy multiple good players and still have the extra picks even.

So let's put it about the middle and say we get the 15th overall pick and an extra 5th round pick plus Tee's money to spend on FA.

Yet if Tee will take a very team friendly deal then sign him quick. Either way works and it seems to me the ball is in his court. But his style of high pointing balls gets him clocked a lot and if I was him would want to get paid as much as I could before those concussions start taking their toll.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
They need to keep Tee. Period. Do what it takes.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
There's no actual news in the report. Just stating speculation based upon what has happened with other teams.

Not
One
Fact

Yet there's 5 pages already.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 07:05 PM)BengalB Wrote: It kinda grates my nerves that he’s played so well here but now it’s time for his “real” contract he’s demanding absolutely outrageous money.

Smart move is to trade him for a 1st rounded, etc.

Have much more respect when they can work together as a team and keep everyone.

"How dare a worker with an expected working career just a handful of years before they must retire want to be paid what they're worth!"

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I would trade Higgins because
1) we can’t keep everyone and paying 2 receivers big money doesn’t make sense
2 the wr position is the position that feeds off burrows talents the most. He will make an average receiver great and above average receiver spectacular. We’ve seen that this year with hurst and Irwin. They could fill the gap throughly the draft and or a inexpensive pickup like hurst last year

3) Higgins value is at the highest it will ever be. 2 high round picks could fill big holes

4) he had major shoulder surgery last year I’ve noticed is a receiver that gives and takes a lot of ferocious hits. I believe the risk reward with regard to an injury going forward is high if signed to a significant long term deal
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 09:36 PM)Housh Wrote: Whenever i see a report saying something thats's this vague and cookie cutter I always assume some writer just got bored.

Or you could spin it positive and say the Bengals are so good now that the eventual contract of our #2 WR can make a national headline.

(02-03-2023, 10:39 PM)Stewy Wrote: There's no actual news in the report.  Just stating speculation based upon what has happened with other teams.

Not
One
Fact

Yet there's 5 pages already.

We're talking about the eventuality that this article brings up.  I don't get all this...for years we bitched because the media just wanted to talk about the Steelers and the Cowboys and now that our team is being discussed we're all "Shut up, nothing to see here!"

Maybe I'm just sensing more tension than there really is, but we seem to be having a hard time handling our team being discussed this much on the national stage.  It's different, I'll admit.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 09:56 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Actually the Bengals spent $28M out of pocket this season for those 3 free agents.

Wow change a word to committed then does not change the point that the issue is not trying 7 new lineman in 2 yrs, the question is being successful which a majority of the moves  KC seems to have been with there,, verdict is out on us.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 05:30 PM)TheFan Wrote: Why? He's not a top receiver, at least he hasn't shown to be yet. He's proven to be a top 2 or low 1. 

Tee finished 16 and 20 the last two years. 

He's a legit 15(ish) to slightly better if he's not behind Chase. That's a mid #1.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote