Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rex Signs With Pats
(03-14-2017, 11:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The issues with this off-season is the lack of preparation or back-up plans the team has had for losing a Whit or letting Zeitler go. That is what is a real kick in the ass.

I hear ya.  This off-season, thus far at least, seems pretty by the book as far as the Bengals are concerned...the issue is that we aren't a 10+ win team riding a streak of playoff appearances, anymore.  Methinks we're a little optimism-deficient at the moment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The o-line bothers me. Keeping Marv and Paul bothers me. Losing Rex doesn't bother me. If anything, I like it because it probably means we'll look at RB's early in the draft. Still need to fix the o-line or even a stud RB won't help.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:51 PM)Clep Wrote: I've been saying for a while now that Rex would be a perfect fit for the Pats. He might do huge things over there... congrats to Rex

This is how I feel.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 11:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The o-line bothers me. Keeping Marv and Paul bothers me. Losing Rex doesn't bother me. If anything, I like it because it probably means we'll look at RB's early in the draft. Still need to fix the o-line or even a stud RB won't help.

I really hope so and it's not a sign of confidence in Hill.

Fournette is the guy I really want I don't have a lot of faith in the o-line right now either but I think Fournette could be a huge uplift for us regardless. Could you imagine him and Gio as a 1-2 punch once/if they ever get the o-line back on track? If utilized the right way it could be deadly for years. I'm not crazy about Robinson so I don't see a lot of help for us in the first regardless.
Reply/Quote
The Pats are getting a guy with low mileage as well.

Good luck Rex, another class guy is gone.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:48 PM)Clep Wrote: Patriots making all the right moves this offseason... meanwhile the Bengals are losing half of their team!

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/03/14/patriots-sign-unrestricted-free-agent-rb-rex-burkhead

It took me a day to respond to this as I needed some time to cool off.  Not really, but I was working.

I was pretty mad when I heard this.  Rex will likely get 50 receptions there, maybe have 1000 all-purpose yards, and be a special teams demon.  Here?  Well, he got one start and we watched Hill suck ass for another season...while we hoped and prayed that somehow he would return to the form of his rookie season. 

I just don't get it.  Rex could run, catch, pick up blitzers, and contribute in special teams...we couldn't see the value in that guy?  

A first class, team-first guy likely to be replaced by some punk who broke four bones in a woman's face.  

Now that Pryor signed a horrible deal with the Redskins, and Burkhead is gone, I can see the Bengals drafting a WR and RB pretty early in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:51 PM)McC Wrote: Good for him.  Now he can get a ring.  They are screwing themselves on comp picks, though.

I'm 99% certain this was sarcasm and it made me spit coffee all over the screen.  

Hilarious.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 06:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don't care how bad the oline is .

Apparently, neither do the Bengals
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 06:22 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I finally have a name for the Bengals strategy.....

Subtraction by subtraction.

I gave this rep because I chuckled and it might best summarize all of our feelings about now....especially when clowns like Adam Jones are still on the team.  Then I thought for a while about what could the potential positives be.

If we remember, the Bengals team that started the Dalton/Green Era wasn't supposed to win a game.  The quitter took his ball and went home and the Bengals were supposedly dead.  Instead, the infusion of youth brought the team to only their third playoff appearance in the Marvin Lewis Era.  In it's first season together.

In 2005, we would hear all the time about Odell Thurman not always being in the right place, etc, but the guy could make plays.  5 INTs and 5 FFs his rookie season, if memory serves.

We also saw the offense soar with the infusion of Chris Henry.  He seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle.  

More importantly, the old Bengals stigma or mindset of "here we go again" seemed to be dead and buried.  That team fought hard and knocked off pittsburg in pittsburg late in the season (one of the more hysterical moments in message board history was the number of sig bets that had 80% of the steeler fans with a vine of Houshmanzadah wiping his shoes with a terrible towel).  

I understand that team wasn't built in a single year, but it gained some key pieces in the draft that made an immediate impact.  Playmakers.  That is what they drafted.

That is what Jimmy Johnson always said about his teams.  He didn't need the biggest or fastest or strongest, but he wanted guys that had a nose for the ball and simply had a history of making plays.

This "turnover" of our roster has seen the departure of several key pieces of the initial Marvin rebuild which had the difficult challenge of changing the culture.  Well, now the team is going to get a lot younger.  Geno, Dunlap, Burfict and Dre Kirkpatrick are your defensive leaders now.  They may not be the "good guy, let's all be friends" Peko, but they all seem to care a great deal about winning and they are also the most talented on the team.  

On offense, you have to think it is now Dalton, Green, Boling, Lafell, and perhaps Gio that are the leaders.  We all heard what a great leader Whit was in the clubhouse, but we don't know how this group will handle the job.  Maybe they become better overall players with the leadership roles handed to them.  

Good or bad, we are seeing change and the previous leadership couldn't get it done.  I am somewhat optimistic that this could also signal a change of our HC after the season.  
Reply/Quote
1 year deal w/3 million 1 million guaranteed...that would not have been hard to beat at all. Shame we didn't try.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:05 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: 1 year deal w/3 million 1 million guaranteed...that would not have been hard to beat at all. Shame we didn't try.

They haven't upgraded to a phone system that can handle multiple calls or place them on hold.

Line was tied up cutting that old lady that sews the name plates on the jersey. Her health insurance premium was digging into the bottom line.
Reply/Quote
Who's the better back - Gio or Rex?
Reply/Quote
To me this just shows how this team doesn't think far enough head.
Gio won't be back for the opener. I don't care what bs they try selling us on the website.
Hill has done nothing but score 1 yard tds the last 2 seasons. He can't get out of his own head to make more then a 2 yard run. If he gets touched at all he falls down so he doesn't fumble.
Then there is Rex. Gives it his all. Blitz pick up, slot receiver and runs at least 4.5 yds average. Very good on special teams. But let's let him go for chump change and see if we can draft someone who can do all those things. Marvin is an idiot that should have fired a long time ago. I really think he didn't want to look like he was wrong on taking hill in 2nd round. His ego gets in his way to many times to be a head coach.

Rex was the best insurance policy they had and they let him walk!!! I hope he finally gets his shot in NE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I think people overestimate the value of Rex league wide. The Pats signed him to a small 1 year deal. It's not like teams are beating down the door for him. He fills a specific role on the team, but it's not as a #1 back.

I'm guessing that the team is looking to get faster at the skill positions in the offseason, so I wouldn't be shocked to see 2 RBs taken.
Reply/Quote
I really think this is a good move for Rex. Obviously the coaching staff did not have much faith in his abilities or else he would have seen the field much more often. New team, new coaching staff, with hopefully a much better chance to play more often.

If he balls out with the Patriots, it will be another sign of ineptitude for this staff. If not, it will show they were right to keep him buried on the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 02:05 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: 1 year deal w/3 million 1 million guaranteed...that would not have been hard to beat at all. Shame we didn't try.

Even if the Bengals decided to match the offer, Rex would've been crazy to turn the Pats down. Hell, his deal actually pays him more than any year that Blount was with the Pats. Rex will probably be the leader of their committee. At worst, he'll probably be their new Kevin Faulk. If he looks as good as many of us believe in the New England system, then he's got a great shot at getting a nice deal next offseason.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 07:02 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I feel like the Pats would've gotten rid of Hill and re-signed Rex if they were in our shoes.

(03-14-2017, 07:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I think the Pats would be happy to have Gio.

Completely agree with both posts. Rex and Gio are both great in the passing game and Gio (when healthy) is
extremely explosive unlike Hill. We should of done our best to tell Rex he is our #1 RB right now with how he
played and how Hill has been disappointing.

Rex did what he did behind the same O-line that both Gio and Hill were running behind and had his best game
against the Ravens who are good at stopping the run.

We messed up, but i am not surprised. We have our priorities all screwed up.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 03:57 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Who's the better back - Gio or Rex?

Rex, better vision and doesn't like getting caught in the backfield.

Burkhead doesn't quit.

Gio is hurt though and i think could still be a very good RB, we just need to use him right and the OL needs to run block better.

PA is terrible at coaching up run blocking so we might never see a great Gio here...
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2017, 05:48 PM)Clep Wrote: Patriots making all the right moves this offseason... meanwhile the Bengals are losing half of their team!

http://www.patriots.com/news/2017/03/14/patriots-sign-unrestricted-free-agent-rb-rex-burkhead

Good for him! I wish him the best and I hope he has a great contract year! I will be rooting for him to get that ring and then call his old buddies over here and say "Hey, guess what, guys - the grass IS greener on the other side!"
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 05:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We messed up, but i am not surprised. We have our priorities all screwed up.

But that how we have always rolled.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote