Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Round 4 is Cordell Volson-O Line Blocker
More O Line Blocking was a must. Some things were filled in Free Agency, but not all, certainly not Depth. So I like this pick of an Offensive Tackle because we needed Depth at O Line.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Me likey! Hopefully he ends up being better than what we have, maybe even a future starter.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
I don't know much about him, so I can't say the pick was good or bad, but I really wanted Kinnard.
Reply/Quote
Welcome to the Jungle Cordell Volson.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:42 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Me likey! Hopefully he ends up being better than what we have, maybe even a future starter.

I like the 2 Tackles we have.  However we lacked Depth in case of injuries.  The O Line is pretty set, except for Left Guard.  Don't rule this guy out as challenging for the Left Guard spot.   The O Line still needed Depth, anybody in the world who watched the Super Bowl saw that.  Burrow had no time to throw in the 4th quarter, our O Line got worn down due to lack of depth.  That has now been addressed in Free Agency and in Round 4 of Draft.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Just curious why the redundant thread title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Volson offers that mauler playstyle that Pollack is coveting, plus he's extremely versatile.
I don't think Volson will end up pushing for LG reps though. Better fit on the right side, IMO.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Volson offers that mauler playstyle that Pollack is coveting, plus he's extremely versatile.
I don't think Volson will end up pushing for LG reps though. Better fit on the right side, IMO.

I think he competes with Carmen Day 1.  Not seeing tackle in his future.

Reply/Quote
Here is an article from a Patriots site about Volson. They had him tabbed as early as the 3rd, and seem to really like him a lot. Very positive scouting report from a team who knows OLmen.

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/patriots-2022-draft-profile-cordell-volson-is-a-highly-experienced-swiss-army-knife-ol

Quoting the article:

Bottom-line: A lowly rated recruit out of North Dakota, Volson is another example of the Bison developing NFL offensive linemen (Billy Turner, Joe Haeg, and Dillon Radunz). Returning to Fargo for an extra year due to Covid, the three-time All-American helped paved the way to another dominant rushing performance and another National Championship. A two-time captain, Volson has the frame and overall ability to be a starter for a long time in the NFL. His best position will be at guard but offers tackle versatility. This will help his draft stock. Volson should be a solid starter for 10 years for whatever team drafts him. His playstyle is similar to Miami Dolphins OL Michael Deiter (3rd round 78 overall in 2019 NFL Draft). I expect Volson to come off the board late day 2 to early day 3.
Reply/Quote

In the Zac mode Cordell is a 2 time team captain and has won national championships (FCS) with NDSU.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:44 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I don't know much about him, so I can't say the pick was good or bad, but I really wanted Kinnard.

The way this draft is going, Kinnard may still be there in 5.   I would have no problem with more O Line Blocking in 5, nor would Burrow who got hit more than any QB in the NFL the last 2 years. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Volson offers that mauler playstyle that Pollack is coveting, plus he's extremely versatile.

Anthony Treash PFF likes him a lot. Some don’t realize a lot of high valued linemen today were 4-5th round picks. Some flourish a few years in the league. Volson? Who knows. But he is a guy who can hold the pocket. Teams are trying to collapse Joe’s pocket and push him into the edges.
Reply/Quote
I like it more competition at LG. Solid draft so far, I like it.
Reply/Quote
I probably would have went WR with this pick considering some of the guys still there, but I’m not mad about throwing some more darts at the OL board.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:48 PM)kevin Wrote: I like the 2 Tackles we have.  However we lacked Depth in case of injuries.  The O Line is pretty set, except for Left Guard.  Don't rule this guy out as challenging for the Left Guard spot.   The O Line still needed Depth, anybody in the world who watched the Super Bowl saw that.  Burrow had no time to throw in the 4th quarter, our O Line got worn down due to lack of depth.  That has now been addressed in Free Agency and in Round 4 of Draft.  

He projects better as a guard according to most experts, and that's where I think they try him. I expect him to be in the mix for LG.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:51 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think he competes with Carmen Day 1.  Not seeing tackle in his future.

He's not as athletic as I think he'd need to be to start on the left side.
Just a "meh" 40 (including the splits), very bad shuttle and 3-cone. Vert also bad, mediocre broad.

Personally, I think it's safer to re-sign Spain now to compete for starting reps with Carman.
Spain can knock off Adeniji from the roster.

Volson can compete with Prince for the 4th OT spot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If you want a glass eater then you should draft someone from North Dakota ST. Championship pedigree to say the least.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 03:03 PM)J24 Wrote: If you want a glass eater then you should draft someone from North Dakota ST. Championship pedigree to say the least.

Speaking of that quote…

I’m a big Frank Pollack guy, but what does this even mean? LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:52 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Here is an article from a Patriots site about Volson. They had him tabbed as early as the 3rd, and seem to really like him a lot. Very positive scouting report from a team who knows OLmen.

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/patriots-2022-draft-profile-cordell-volson-is-a-highly-experienced-swiss-army-knife-ol

Quoting the article:

Bottom-line: A lowly rated recruit out of North Dakota, Volson is another example of the Bison developing NFL offensive linemen (Billy Turner, Joe Haeg, and Dillon Radunz). Returning to Fargo for an extra year due to Covid, the three-time All-American helped paved the way to another dominant rushing performance and another National Championship. A two-time captain, Volson has the frame and overall ability to be a starter for a long time in the NFL. His best position will be at guard but offers tackle versatility. This will help his draft stock. Volson should be a solid starter for 10 years for whatever team drafts him. His playstyle is similar to Miami Dolphins OL Michael Deiter (3rd round 78 overall in 2019 NFL Draft). I expect Volson to come off the board late day 2 to early day 3.

Comparison to Deiter is probably accurate, but that's not necessarily a good sign.

Deiter was a mauler coming out of Wisconsin, but he lacks athleticism somewhat like Volson. Volson has longer arms than Deiter though.
Deiter's PFF grades since drafted:
2019 - 996 snaps played. 42.5 overall, 37.8 pass block, 45.5 run block
2020 - Only 23 snaps played. 46.1 overall, 77.2 pass block (7 snaps), 45.2 run block (16 snaps)
2021 - 546 snaps played. 60.6 overall. 57.2 pass block, 61.7 run block

We'll have to see with Volson. I like that he won't be forced into a starting role so he can develop more, but I don't have confidence in his ceiling.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 02:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Anthony Treash PFF likes him a lot. Some don’t realize a lot of high valued linemen today were 4-5th round picks. Some flourish a few years in the league. Volson? Who knows. But he is a guy who can hold the pocket. Teams are trying to collapse Joe’s pocket and push him into the edges.

What I take away from all the OL acquisitions so far this offseason - This team is planning to run the ball more.
Collins, Cappa, and Karras are more maulers than what the Bengals had last year.
Add Volson to that mix.

I also am starting to think they won't do as much wide zone in the run game this year, as all the OL added this offseason aren't quite as athletic to fit that scheme as well.

We'll see.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote