Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Rule the Jungle
Rule the Jungle is the marketing theme for 2021.

"Rule The Jungle signifies the high standards and energy we expect to see on the field, in the stands and in all areas of our organization. Rule The Jungle is a mentality that displays our confidence and strength. Rule The Jungle is the feeling of exuberance each fan will feel on gameday, like a queen or king sitting on a throne, as we celebrate together in a stadium that is back to full capacity.

To rule is powerful. Great empires are built by the bold. Effective and revered leaders throughout history envisioned schemes to reach new heights, built impressive infrastructure by mobilizing the masses under a common goal and won battles to assert their dominance.

Build. Win. Rule. This is the path forward."

As part of this, as well as enhancing game day, there will be a stage at PBS that the throne from the New Stripes intro will sit. The game day "Ruler of the Jungle" will sit there. They will lead the crowd in the Who Dey cheer right before the game

More entertaining displays will show on the Jumbotrons including videos such as we've seen on Twitter and press releases

Player introductions will intensify

The "Stripes Squad" will be out interacting with fans at tailgates and be part of stadium entertainment

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-fans-it-s-time-to-rule-the-jungle

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 10:56 AM)pally Wrote: "Rule The Jungle signifies the high standards and energy we expect to see on the field, in the stands and in all areas of our organization. Rule The Jungle is a mentality that displays our confidence and strength. Rule The Jungle is the feeling of exuberance each fan will feel on gameday, like a queen or king sitting on a throne, as we celebrate together in a stadium that is back to full capacity.

To rule is powerful. Great empires are built by the bold. Effective and revered leaders throughout history envisioned schemes to reach new heights, built impressive infrastructure by mobilizing the masses under a common goal and won battles to assert their dominance.

Build. Win. Rule. This is the path forward."

I'm assuming this is the work of Elizabeth Blackburn.  I know a lot of people on here really love what she's doing so I suppose she's doing a good job.

Me personally though, I guess I really am just a Negative Nelly, or a cynic.  I just don't need stuff like this; it's too much.  The "great empires", "the bold", "assert their dominance", it feels like I'm reading a pamphlet for some cheesy seminar or watching a pretentious commercial.

Just build a really good football team, and go out and win some games.  It's not that complicated for me.  I don't need whatever this is.

Fwiw, this was my reaction to reading this:

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 11:10 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm assuming this is the work of Elizabeth Blackburn.  I know a lot of people on here really love what she's doing so I suppose she's doing a good job.

Me personally though, I guess I really am just a Negative Nelly, or a cynic.  I just don't need stuff like this; it's too much.  The "great empires", "the bold", "assert their dominance", it feels like I'm reading a pamphlet for some cheesy seminar or watching a pretentious commercial.

Just build a really good football team, and go out and win some games.  It's not that complicated for me.  I don't need whatever this is.
You may not need it but others do. We've had winning teams before and still couldn't fill the stadium.  So obviously, winning alone won't put bodies, with wallets, in the bleachers especially coming off a series of losing seasons.  Marketing is all part and parcel of running a business and an area that has been sorely lacking in the Bengals for a very very long time.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Not going to lie, this is pretty awesome.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 11:22 AM)pally Wrote: You may not need it but others do. We've had winning teams before and still couldn't fill the stadium.  So obviously, winning alone won't put bodies, with wallets, in the bleachers especially coming off a series of losing seasons.  Marketing is all part and parcel of running a business and an area that has been sorely lacking in the Bengals for a very very long time.  

I mean, the very first sentence of my post acknowledges that a lot of people love the work she's doing and that she must be doing a good job.  And I meant for me calling myself a "Negative Nelly" and a "cynic" to be self-deprecating.  I realize there's plenty of people who enjoy this type of stuff, and I didn't want to put them down.

I will have to disagree somewhat on the we've had winning teams and couldn't fill the stadium part of your post.  For the most part, that isn't true.  I'm pretty sure PBS had like a decade in a row of sellouts in the 2000's.  And if you look at the attendance from 2010 through 2020, there's a lot of years where attendance was 60k plus.  The only years that were not were 2011 (we were coming off a 4-12 season) and 2017 and on.

Fwiw, I totally understand marketing is all part of the gig.  This just reads to be a bit too much.  It's hard for me not to roll my eyes at some of this stuff.  But to each their own, if this fires other people up then that's great.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 11:10 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm assuming this is the work of Elizabeth Blackburn.  I know a lot of people on here really love what she's doing so I suppose she's doing a good job.

Fwiw, this was my reaction to reading this:

[Image: giphy.gif]

I think the cynisim stems from her being a Brown. Our organization is doing stuff and that's swell, but it also seems like the Brown family won't do anything until a family member happens to get into the field and join the organization. 

Other teams did stuff like this decades ago, but we couldn't because we we're waiting for Elizabeth Blackburn to become an adult and do it.  

So better late than never, but there also seems to be a "better never than by some one who isn't related to me" vibe going on too.  Hopefully our first GM is born to a Brown/Blacburn soon. Hardy har.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 11:22 AM)pally Wrote: You may not need it but others do. We've had winning teams before and still couldn't fill the stadium.  So obviously, winning alone won't put bodies, with wallets, in the bleachers especially coming off a series of losing seasons.  Marketing is all part and parcel of running a business and an area that has been sorely lacking in the Bengals for a very very long time.  

That's the thing...marketing has been big and required since Paul Brown was working woth Otto in Cleveland.  We've had our resurgence since the mid 2000s bit we're just getting on this stuff now.  It's easy to picture Mike Brown looking at his great niece or whatever she is to him at in grade school while we are exiting the dark 90s and thinking "when she's older she can market this team."

It's like an amusing sort of royal family thing.  That's the hyperbolic view though.  I can just see why people roll their eyes at the overall concept. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 11:48 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, the very first sentence of my post acknowledges that a lot of people love the work she's doing and that she must be doing a good job.  And I meant for me calling myself a "Negative Nelly" and a "cynic" to be self-deprecating.  I realize there's plenty of people who enjoy this type of stuff, and I didn't want to put them down.

I will have to disagree somewhat on the we've had winning teams and couldn't fill the stadium part of your post.  For the most part, that isn't true.  I'm pretty sure PBS had like a decade in a row of sellouts in the 2000's.  And if you look at the attendance from 2010 through 2020, there's a lot of years where attendance was 60k plus.  The only years that were not were 2011 (we were coming off a 4-12 season) and 2017 and on.

Fwiw, I totally understand marketing is all part of the gig.  This just reads to be a bit too much.  It's hard for me not to roll my eyes at some of this stuff.  But to each their own, if this fires other people up then that's great.

PBS has an official seating capacity of 65,500, so an average attendance of 60k is still a lot of empty seats.  Also keep in mind that the club was buying large amounts of tickets during the Green-Dalton era to keep games on from being blacked out, so those attendance figures are heavily padded.  For the sake of comparison, the Bengals were bottom 5 in attendance 3 times during the '11-15' and never higher than 24th in that span.  

When you can't fill your stadium with a playoff team, you obviously have issues beyond just the product on the field.  I can't fault them for trying to fix the fan engagement/experience issues while trying to fix the issues on the field.
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown Stadium would sell out if this team had a history of being as competitive as they were under Paul Brown and had won a few playoff games.

I think it is pretty amazing that the Bengals sell as many tickets as they do given their 30 year record.

I have not lived in Cincinnati since my junior year in college but I have stayed in touch with my friends and teammates from High School. I still think Cincinnati has some of the best and most loyal people in the world. You can only be inept for so long without losing credibility with even the best fans.

Hoping that the next generation of Brown family members turns things around. I suspect it is going to take another coach and staff but I hope I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
what are these high standards she mentions?
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 12:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: what are these high standards she mentions?

It's marketing fluff.  My favorite as of late was when the Browns were 0-16 or so and put CLEVELAND on the jerseys and made the facemask a different color to signify the hard working blue collar nature of the city, or some such. 

Or maybe it means that a playoff one and done is no longer deemed a Cincinnati super bowl.  Time will tell. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 12:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: PBS has an official seating capacity of 65,500, so an average attendance of 60k is still a lot of empty seats.  Also keep in mind that the club was buying large amounts of tickets during the Green-Dalton era to keep games on from being blacked out, so those attendance figures are heavily padded.  For the sake of comparison, the Bengals were bottom 5 in attendance 3 times during the '11-15' and never higher than 24th in that span.  

When you can't fill your stadium with a playoff team, you obviously have issues beyond just the product on the field.  I can't fault them for trying to fix the fan engagement/experience issues while trying to fix the issues on the field.

Having the Colts 90 minutes away also has a lot to do with that. Keep that in mind.  Why the NFL has Cincy and Indy both at home at the same time never made sense to me, but it happens  normally for 4-6 games each year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 12:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: PBS has an official seating capacity of 65,500, so an average attendance of 60k is still a lot of empty seats.  Also keep in mind that the club was buying large amounts of tickets during the Green-Dalton era to keep games on from being blacked out, so those attendance figures are heavily padded.  For the sake of comparison, the Bengals were bottom 5 in attendance 3 times during the '11-15' and never higher than 24th in that span.  

As a season ticket holder I can tell you the club did not buy large amounts of ticket, they actually worked with corporations like Krogers and PG who might have bought a few thousand  and donated them.
Reply/Quote
So does this mean we're going to have a Tiger King?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The organization is trying to build the hype, which is difficult to do when the team has not performed well on the field for half a decade.

I give props to the FO (likely led by Elizabeth Blackburn) for trying to improve the experience and build the hype.
With that said, I'm also one of those who doesn't care too much until it translates to a winning season again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I will say this, people talk about just wanting a winner on the field, which we can all appreciate, but there is little marketing can do to help that...but this is actually one of those things. In this case they are trying to put fans in seats, but also trying to make those in the seat more engaged. We always talk about the toughest places to play and Cincy is NEVER one of those. Part of that is related to stadium construction, but a majority of that is simply lack of interest/engagement from the fan base. Improving the fan interaction within the game day environment can actually contribute to winning and losing on the field in a slight way.

Obviously, being a contender helps but a lot of what we has been done recently feels to be banking on the idea that Burrow and company will put us in a position to be a contender. Working in parallel to get everything else first class at the same time seems to be the proper approach to doing that.
Reply/Quote

That entire thing falls on the one and dones. I was there in the '80s. Riverfront was full and rocking. Super Bowl in '81 and '88 meant that playoff games were being won and there was some hope. 

I'm not sure how it was in 2005 but i'd have to think that after such a long drought, it had to be pretty full and loud then too. The Dalton/Green era was filled with one and dones and came off the Palmer/Johnson era, more specifically '06-'10. 

If this team gets a playoff win or two, plays in a CC or SB, you can be sure the stadium will be full and loud, no problem. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 04:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As a season ticket holder I can tell you the club did not buy large amounts of ticket, they actually worked with corporations like Krogers and PG who might have bought a few thousand  and donated them.

I know Chad bought a few a couple of times.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 05:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So does this mean we're going to have a Tiger King?

Fwiw, your new profile pic is throwing me off.  What happened to Dana Jacobson?
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2021, 06:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, your new profile pic is throwing me off.  What happened to Dana Jacobson?

It is odd how ubiquitous the avatar pics can become on a site like this.  Hell, I'm 87% sure I'm Sgt Slaughter.
Reply/Quote