Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Finley "Looks Bad"
(06-05-2019, 02:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As Huey Lewis and the News once said, sometimes bad is bad.

But on a lighter note, this makes me wonder why we are do down on Jeff Driskel.  How many times have we used Marvin/the o-line/injuries/Lazor etc to excuse poor play from the players we like, yet we are so sure Driskel is a total pile o crap (I"m not convinced he isn't, I'm just posing a question here).

I hear people saying that Tom Brady couldn't win behind this line or with 2018's coaching, and yet here we are so confident that Driskel sucked because he...well, just plain ol' sucks.  He's like, the only guy we are going to hold accountable for the crapfulness that was 2018.  Why isn't he a blameless victim of circumstance, too?

On topic, if Finley looks bad it's going to be even more fun facetiously acting like he's our franchise savior.  First pick Dalton throws....put in the Fin-chise.

Actually, I think I might start the rumor that Ryan Finley is the younger, crappier illegitimate brother of Andy Dalton, much like Daniel Jones is the lost Manning brother.  So the question really is if Finley can be the next Jordan Palmer.

I think coaching was a part of Driskel's struggles.  They should have catered more to his athletic abilities instead of making him try to be Andy Dalton.  Driskel has accuracy problems, they showed up in the games.  All in all, I thought he did admirably, but don't think he's starter material.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 01:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Should have taken Mack Wilson...

Agreed. I wanted Mack Wilson.
Could have taken Brett Rypien in place of Deshaun Davis to get that backup QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 01:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Should have taken Mack Wilson...

Wouldn't that have been almost a 2 round reach?

Don't you usually rip the Bengals when they draft a guy way too early?
Reply/Quote
I've very sorry guys. I forgot this and I'm waaaay over due to use it.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
Reports that Drew Sample looks good in OTAs = "means nothing, it's way too early to tell"
Reports that Ryan Finley looks bad in OTAs = "sound the alarms!"
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 06:58 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Reports that Drew Sample looks good in OTAs = "means nothing, it's way too early to tell"
Reports that Ryan Finley looks bad in OTAs = "sound the alarms!"

And the inverse is true for the sunshine guys in these parts.  That's deductive fandom, for ya!
Reply/Quote
I am on board. Lot of solid arguments. Let's cut the rookie 4th round QB we traded up for before training camp starts.

Driskel is fast. Who cares if he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Part of me says this is Dehner at a new job going for a clickbait headline. But I know its probably more reasonable to give up on our rookie 4th round QB after some OTA practices.
Reply/Quote
I’m ok with Driskel. I thought he was refreshing to see (refreshing does not = awesome, outstanding, HOF material). The kid may not be dead on accurate, but he kept the play alive a lot when the OL collapsed on him in a heartbeat. Even made plays happen and wasn’t afraid to run. Not bad qualities for a backup. Hopefully the coaches can work with him on his accuracy but I thought he did ok last year.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 01:08 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/51523/ryan-finley

The Athletic's Paul Dehner reports fourth-round rookie QB Ryan Finley "looks bad" at Bengals practices.

"There’s just no way around it," Dehner writes. "It’s still early, but not so early that we can’t begin to wonder what the hell is going on." Finley was believed to be a reach when the Bengals took him at No. 104 overall, and his play thus far hasn't alleviated those concerns. Finley is probably safe to make the roster barring a preseason blowup, but he might not pass Jeff Driskel.

LMAO.....well him being a reach at #104 is new. Was not seen as a reach at the time of the selection. Actually, many of the pundits applauded them for the selection when they made it.
Reply/Quote
Oh my god no! He should probably just be kicked out of the league right now. We all know that being a rookie and not looking great when real practices have not even started and you are wearing a helmet and shorts is a sign that your career for all purposes is over. We might as well just go ahead and cut him. No use in dragging this out.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 07:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: LMAO.....well him being a reach at #104 is new. Was not seen as a reach at the time of the selection. Actually, many of the pundits applauded them for the selection when they made it.

Agree. In the end he’s probably just nervous and trying too hard. Probably should give him a shot of whiskey before practice a few times so he can calm down. Seriously, it helped me.

Reply/Quote
re: Driskel as the backup - IF the team has aspirations of winning a playoff game or 2, the odds of that happening IF Dalton is injured and Driskel is the backup are near 0%.

re: Finley - He put up decent numbers in college. I doubt that he forgot how to throw the ball. Some guys learn an offense quickly, some take some time. Also, he has to adjust to the speed of the game. Too soon to worry. It's not like he's penciled in to be a starter.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 08:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Driskel as the backup - IF the team has aspirations of winning a playoff game or 2, the odds of that happening IF Dalton is injured and Driskel is the backup are near 0%.

re: Finley - He put up decent numbers in college. I doubt that he forgot how to throw the ball. Some guys learn an offense quickly, some take some time. Also, he has to adjust to the speed of the game. Too soon to worry. It's not like he's penciled in to be a starter.

The only worry is his arm strong is crap coupled with accuracy n that’s a bad combo. Way to soon to really worry about. Just not off to a great start.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 08:16 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: The only worry is his arm strong is crap coupled with accuracy n that’s a bad combo.   Way to soon to really worry about.   Just not off to a great start.

It's not good definitely, but like I said...he put up decent numbers in college.
Reply/Quote
We have like 5 former QB coaches on our staff.

Together they should be able to fix anybody.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 08:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have like 5 former QB coaches on our staff.

Together they should be able to fix anybody.

[Image: th?id=OIP.2h6qyBDUBHMMzhLmFkvU6gHaE8&pid...=263&h=176]

"I sewed some Driskel and Finley parts together then got Jeff George's arm off of Ebay.  Fire it up Igor!!"
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 02:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  So the question really is if Finley can be the next Jordan Palmer.

Well, Jordan Palmer already did runpee.com. Maybe Finley'll create dart2deuce.com, a website/app that looks for long enough plot droughts in movies for those longer restroom retreats. It'll be the #1 source to check if you REALLY have to go #2 during a movie.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2019, 07:47 PM)OSUfan Wrote: LMAO.....well him being a reach at #104 is new. Was not seen as a reach at the time of the selection. Actually, many of the pundits applauded them for the selection when they made it.

Are these the same pundits that think the Browns are going to win the SB and we will go 3-13?
Reply/Quote
For Real?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Someone posted Finley vs Alabama video clip a few weeks ago and after the first 2 series, he really looked bad after the adrenaline settled. That should have been a good indicator.

It was nice knowing you Finley.

Let me add that this was probably Zac's pick being previously a QB coach.
Reply/Quote