Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Report - Bengals planning "major shake up" to Taylor's staff
(01-03-2021, 06:31 PM)Destro Wrote: Would anyone be absolutely shocked if Taylor if is still here come Tuesday morning?

I would. He is bad. I know it, you know it, everybody knows it.

What kind of position coaches are we going to be able to attract? Well the guy who is head coach has the highest probability to be fired going in to 2021 before the offseason even begins. Come wreck you coaching career here to ride off the cliff in the flaming dumpster with ZT in 2021.!! Then you can find a new job again next year when we clean house because we are to stupid and slow to accept the obvious.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 06:31 PM)Destro Wrote: Would anyone be absolutely shocked if Taylor if is still here come Tuesday morning?

Nope. Burrow’s injury and then beating the Steelers bought him another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 06:16 PM)samhain Wrote: Nice set of movable goalposts you got there, lol.

How is that moving goalposts? If a coach leaves on his own accord, the FO shouldn't get credit for making moves.

(01-03-2021, 06:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: FYI: Marvin just interviewed for the HC position in Detroit.

Rooney Rule. That said, he'd be an upgrade over Patricia.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 09:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How is that moving goalposts? If a coach leaves on his own accord, the FO shouldn't get credit for making moves.

Rooney Rule. That said, he'd be an upgrade over Patricia.

The report says they were "planning for a major shake-up".  It didn't say they were canning every coach that was leaving.  Doesn't really matter if a coach volunteers or is volun-told.  It's still a change.  It's not a stretch to think that they knew Singleton was leaving before he took the UK job, either.  
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 09:20 PM)samhain Wrote: The report says they were "planning for a major shake-up".  It didn't say they were canning every coach that was leaving.  Doesn't really matter if a coach volunteers or is volun-told.  It's still a change.  It's not a stretch to think that they knew Singleton was leaving before he took the UK job, either.  

Yeah we all know how averse to change this FO is, and that's the ultimate problem in Bengal-dumb.

So if necessary changes are obvious and all we get is a couple guys leaving for other jobs, I'd say we'd all be disappointed.

Both with the change itself and the FO...if that's their idea of a major shakeup.

That's all I'm saying.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 06:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If I were MB and Katie, I would be on a conference call right now with Marvin Lewis. I would keep ZT, but bring in ML as the new DC and assistant head coach.

I will tell ZT tomorrow, this us the deal, ML has the same power you do and if you don't like it, take a hike now.

Then, if things go sideways first month of 2021 season, fire ZT and promote ML to head coach.

GTFOH

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 09:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah we all know how averse to change this FO is, and that's the ultimate problem in Bengal-dumb.

So if necessary changes are obvious and all we get is a couple guys leaving for other jobs, I'd say we'd all be disappointed.

Both with the change itself and the FO.

That's all I'm saying.

I'm probably in the minority, but I see changes in the behavior of the FO in the last couple of years.  

It seems likely that for better or worse, Katie and Troy are running things to a much larger extent.  They also seem far more willing to break with how they've customarily operated over the Mike Brown years.  They cut guys with time left on deals.  They give a new coach free reign to build a staff practically from scratch.  They spend serious money on free agents, and are active all year long.  

I think the family genuinely wants to get the team back on a winning track, and get fans spending money on tickets. They might even want to make the team more attractive to the city for a new stadium deal or perhaps a new city for a potential money-grab move.  It's getting into lost decade territory at this point.  

I wouldn't bet a large amount of money on Zac being gone, but I think it's possible that the family gets pretty drastic this offseason.  Do they want to waste another year on Zac if they feel A: he's not up to it, or B: a better candidate for the job is available now?  If they keep Zac and he comes out of the gate and loses 5 or 6 games, that's a wasted season after 2 where he's shown to be awful.  They have a lot to think about.  If they waste Burrow's affordable years on seasons like this and continue to get him killed on the field, then all of the things that were said about them in th draft process of 2020 will be proven in real time for all to see.  I'd like to think they might want to avoid that scenario.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 07:28 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: There was a report this morning that he is safe.

There have been other reports that he is not safe.

I saw a report the Bengals FO wants to go after Panthers' OC Joe Brady, Burrow's OC from LSU.

I hope you bastards know, i get a little harder every time someone types this.

My wife says cut that shit out, she's chillin right now.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 09:20 PM)samhain Wrote: The report says they were "planning for a major shake-up".  It didn't say they were canning every coach that was leaving.  Doesn't really matter if a coach volunteers or is volun-told.  It's still a change.  It's not a stretch to think that they knew Singleton was leaving before he took the UK job, either.  

If a coach is told, behind the scenes, that he's not being retained and then goes and accepts a job somewhere else, which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:04 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm probably in the minority, but I see changes in the behavior of the FO in the last couple of years.  

It seems likely that for better or worse, Katie and Troy are running things to a much larger extent.  They also seem far more willing to break with how they've customarily operated over the Mike Brown years.  They cut guys with time left on deals.  They give a new coach free reign to build a staff practically from scratch.  They spend serious money on free agents, and are active all year long.  

I think the family genuinely wants to get the team back on a winning track, and get fans spending money on tickets.  They might even want to make the team more attractive to the city for a new stadium deal or perhaps a new city for a potential money-grab move.  It's getting into lost decade territory at this point.  

I wouldn't bet a large amount of money on Zac being gone, but I think it's possible that the family gets pretty drastic this offseason.  Do they want to waste another year on Zac if they feel A: he's not up to it, or B: a better candidate for the job is available now?  If they keep Zac and he comes out of the gate and loses 5 or 6 games, that's a wasted season after 2 where he's shown to be awful.  They have a lot to think about.  If they waste Burrow's affordable years on seasons like this and continue to get him killed on the field, then all of the things that were said about them in th draft process of 2020 will be proven in real time for all to see.  I'd like to think they might want to avoid that scenario.

I don't think you're alone on that at all. We have seen some uncharacteristic things over the last year or two. That said, I'm always weary about whether or not the changes are really a permanent shift in power/attitude or if they're just trying to get the fans back on board. We'll see, but I'm (somewhat) cautiously optimistic in that regard.

I think the best case realistic scenario for this off-season, is that we get a slew of changes to the staff, they part with some well paid familiar names (like AJ Green, Geno, maybe Bernard, etc) and they splurge on an o-linemen with a DJ Reader caliber signing at that position. I'd be ok with all that, but I really do think we should just scrap the whole staff and start over without Zac Taylor.

We'll see. Should be a very interesting off-season.
Reply/Quote
I gotta give it a rest until tomorrow. I keep refreshing and refreshing and searching the web hoping for a late Christmas present. Nothing yet.

I shouldn't feel this way. But my hope for firing our head coach are on par with my yearly hopes of landing big free agents or having a perfect draft.

That's how much I want this experiment to end. A big free agent greatly improves our chances of winning. A nice draft haul greatly improves our chances of winning. And firing this staff greatly improves our chances of winning.

I shouldn't have to be hoping a firing improves our chances of winning. But that is where we are after 2 years of a bad college OC and NFL position coach bringing his "offensive mastermind" to town by being irresponsibly promoted to head coach and producing the only two guys to throw 10 or more passes and record a 0.0 QB rating in a game this year.

Make it freaking stop Mike
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think you're alone on that at all. We have seen some uncharacteristic things over the last year or two. That said, I'm always weary about whether or not the changes are really a permanent shift in power/attitude or if they're just trying to get the fans back on board. We'll see, but I'm (somewhat) cautiously optimistic in that regard.

I think the best case realistic scenario for this off-season, is that we get a slew of changes to the staff, they part with some well paid familiar names (like AJ Green, Geno, maybe Bernard, etc) and they splurge on an o-linemen with a DJ Reader caliber signing at that position. I'd be ok with all that, but I really do think we should just scrap the whole staff and start over without Zac Taylor.

We'll see. Should be a very interesting off-season.

The part I can't wrap my head around is why would you keep an awful HC and expect to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic with a few lame duck coaches ?
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I hope you bastards know, i get a little harder every time someone types this.

My wife says cut that shit out, she's chillin right now.

But why?

Not your wife saying knock it off... the excitement around Joe Brady.

Look at the offensive numbers from the Panthers this year, it isn't impressive. Sure, it is better then ours but not by much. 

YPG

Panthers - 351.5

Bengals - 328.1

Passing YPG

Panthers - 242.8 

Bengals - 226.7

Rushing YPG

Panthers - 108.7

Bengals - 101.7

Point Per Game

Panthers - 22.9

Bengals - 20.5

That just isn't enough of an upgrade. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: But why?

Look at the offensive numbers from the Panthers this year, it isn't impressive. Sure, it is better then ours but not by much. 

YPG

Panthers - 351.5

Bengals - 328.1

Passing YPG

Panthers - 242.8 

Bengals - 226.7

Rushing YPG

Panthers - 108.7

Bengals - 101.7

Point Per Game

Panthers - 22.9

Bengals - 20.5

Who was his QB again?

Reply/Quote

YPG

Panthers - 351.5

Bengals - 328.1

Passing YPG

Panthers - 242.8 

Bengals - 226.7

Rushing YPG

Panthers - 108.7

Bengals - 101.7

Point Per Game

Panthers - 22.9

Bengals - 20.5

Honestly, i was just making a joke. Not about the boner, cause it's rock hard right now, but about my wife saying stop. She never says stop to my boner.

Anyway...

I lost my train of thought. Must be lack of blood flow to my head.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who was his QB again?

Teddy Bridgewater who looked great last year in New Orleans.

And "who was his QB?" is an excuse. We have excuses every single year for this coach, that coach, this player that player.

I want the next coach to be a guy who comes in and wins. No excuses of... well this guy was hurt, bullshit every team has injuries. 

Good teams with good coaches win regardless. Brees missed how many games and the Saints are still in the playoffs. McVay is in the playoffs with Goff... Jared freakin Goff.... 

I get that people are excited about what happened at LSU but that is college this is big boy football, not too mention how much talent was on that team. 

There isn't that much talent here, our next coach needs to be able to overcome adversity not get excuses like, but he had an average QB. 

Not too mention, Bridgewater isn't a bad QB.

(01-03-2021, 11:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Honestly, i was just making a joke. Not about the boner, cause it's rock hard right now, but about my wife saying stop. She never says stop to my boner.

Anyway...

I lost my train of thought. Must be lack of blood flow to my head.

As hard as and roughly the same size as most diamonds eh?  Cool

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The part I can't wrap my head around is why would you keep an awful HC and expect to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic with a few lame duck coaches ?

Think about it like this. The Brown family never fire anyone in the FO...because they're all family. I think that's why they like to keep coaches (especially the HC) around for long stretches as well. They're not used to change, so maybe they've become averse to it. Especially in the big boy positions.

(01-03-2021, 11:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who was his QB again?

Bridgewater is a bottom tier starter, no way around that. Also, they lost Christian McCaffrey for all but 3 games.

In the 3 games McCaffrey played, they averaged 416.7 yards (would've ranked 2nd in the NFL) and 26.0 points (would've ranked 14th).

Them losing McCaffrey is akin to us losing prime AJ Green. Or Corey Dillon. Massive loss for their offense...and Teddy isn't good enough to overcome that.

I'm surprised that offense wasn't worse.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:21 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Teddy Bridgewater who looked great last year in New Orleans.

And "who was his QB?" is an excuse. We have excuses every single year for this coach, that coach, this player that player.

I want the next coach to be a guy who comes in and wins. No excuses of... well this guy was hurt, bullshit every team has injuries. 

Good teams with good coaches win regardless. Brees missed how many games and the Saints are still in the playoffs. McVay is in the playoffs with Goff... Jared freakin Goff.... 

I get that people are excited about what happened at LSU but that is college this is big boy football, not too mention how much talent was on that team. 

There isn't that much talent here, our next coach needs to be able to overcome adversity not get excuses like, but he had an average QB. 

[Image: 5daa6e3a3b459107b2bc1c80-large.jpg?cache...60afed1d40]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:21 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Teddy Bridgewater who looked great last year in New Orleans.

Bridgewater isn’t bad per se, but he’s also nothing special.

Brady is worth a shot to me because we’ve seen what he can do with a QB like Burrow.

Reply/Quote

YPG

Panthers - 351.5

Bengals - 328.1

Passing YPG

Panthers - 242.8 

Bengals - 226.7

Rushing YPG

Panthers - 108.7

Bengals - 101.7

Point Per Game

Panthers - 22.9

Bengals - 20.5

Honestly, I would be over the moon if Cincinnati signed Arthur Smith (OC for the Titans). I really like what he has done in Tennessee. 
Reply/Quote