Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Report - Bengals planning "major shake up" to Taylor's staff
(01-01-2021, 11:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where was this "opening of the pocket book" as it applies to OL?  XSF was classic Bengals dumpster diving, and Spain came after the train had already derailed.  Mellow

Just 2 years ago we traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league.

Mike Brown is definitely willing to spend money on the O-line.
Reply/Quote
So long as Jim Turner gets shit canned everyone else is gravy to me.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 01:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am looking at this situation with all sincerity, and I look at ZT as handed a horrible situation.  What did I like best about Marvin?  Player evaluation.  He knew talent, but I HATED his taking character risks...and he didn't ever seem to learn when rumors swirled that his hatred for Ross was due in part to the fact that he wanted Reuben Foster...a colossal douchebag.  I don't think Marv is innovative in any way and just a good "overall guy".  What I believe separates Belichick from the crowd is his ability to alter game plans to each individual opponent.  I never saw this in Marv.  

Regardless of the past, I think ZT has shown a couple positives:  his team is still playing hard for him.  He has players that are seemingly "on his side" once the "old guard" that was most vocal in opposition was sent packing.  The problem was, the Bengals didn't go "all in".  They went halfway.  They should have gotten what they could for Dunlap, Geno, and AJ BEFORE this season.  Then, you have the opportunity to create the new culture from the start.  Year 1 was to evaluate.  Year 2 should have been what the Dolphins did.  You think they are pretty happy with that Texan's first round pick now?  As of today, it is the #4 overall pick.  Nice move.  

It isn't too late.  Move on from Geno and AJ and have maybe a couple FAs, a solid draft, and upgrades at the OC and DC positions and you could surprise people in 2021.  Dip your toes in and just go halfway again, and you will likely end up with the same results.  

Yep

Classic Mike Brown, never proactive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 02:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just 2 years ago we traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league.

Mike Brown is definitely willing to spend money on the O-line.

Everyone knows how highly Mike Brown values the OT position, it's no secret.  However, my comment was in response to a comment about free agency spending this past offseason.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 02:08 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: So long as Jim Turner gets shit canned everyone else is gravy to me.

Yeah, if he manages to keep his job, any changes they make to the staff will seem a bit hollow.  I think several of the coaches suck, but I know Turner does.  Shouldn't be in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 02:33 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, if he manages to keep his job, any changes they make to the staff will seem a bit hollow.  I think several of the coaches suck, but I know Turner does.  Shouldn't be in the league.

It is complicated even more so by the fact that Turner not only sucks as a coach, but sucks even more at being a human.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
why not take head of snake off first
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-major-shakeup-zac-taylor-coaching-staff

Key thing to note: Zac Taylor WILL be returning for a 3rd season, but the organization will force out multiple assistant coaches.

Elise Jesse.....hmmmm, where have I heard that name before??????

Oh yeah, she was the gal that had "Sources" that told her Taylor had lost the locker room....and you guys fell for that. And now she has "sources" telling her there will be major changes to the coaching staff, and you are falling for that.  She's making guesses and making up "sources" in order to have a story to turn in by deadline. She has nothing.  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

I have "sources" that tell me the coaching changes will come on the lines, and maybe a TE coach, but that's about it. My sources are really credible, but I can't reveal them. Believe me?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 02:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Elise Jesse.....hmmmm, where have I heard that name before??????

Oh yeah, she was the gal that had "Sources" that told her Taylor had lost the locker room....and you guys fell for that. And now she has "sources" telling her there will be major changes to the coaching staff, and you are falling for that.  She's making guesses and making up "sources" in order to have a story to turn in by deadline. She has nothing.  Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

I have "sources" that tell me the coaching changes will come on the lines, and maybe a TE coach, but that's about it. My sources are really credible, but I can't reveal them. Believe me?

Sources tell me that I'll be drinking and watching plenty of college football today, as well as cooking some delicious pork.   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 02:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Elise Jesse.....hmmmm, where have I heard that name before??????

If you hadn't mentioned this I wouldn't have even looked into the site any further. This is article is under FanNation and the other name that shows up over and over for writing articles is James Rapien who was the terrible producer for Mo Egger on 1530 in Cincinnati and had terrible takes on air that were never correct. 

The FanNation side really leaves a lot of question about how credible any of these articles are, they are one small step above posts on this board.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 02:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sources tell me that I'll be drinking and watching plenty of college football today, as well as cooking some delicious pork.   Ninja

"Sources".... and I mean real sources, tell me the Bengals are notoriously tight when it comes to leaking what they are going to do. They just don't leak.
Reply/Quote
Not sure if I’m buying it

Schefter would report that Marvin Lewis was going to be fired at the end of 17

Obviously was false
Reply/Quote
I feel a little bad for Jim turner. Guy’s working with crap, and people want him canned saying he’s bad at his job.

Let’s be real here, people want him gone for a situation that happened years ago.

Feel kind of bad at the fact that he’s staying out of the spotlight avoiding controversy, and people still won’t drop the stuff that happened with incognito. Can one ever escape their past? Who knows, but everyone here doesn’t seem to believe in 2nd chances
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 02:47 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: why not take head of snake off first

Head snake is MB and he can’t cut his own head off because snakes don’t have any arms. Geez.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 03:07 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I feel a little bad for Jim turner. Guy’s working with crap, and people want him canned saying he’s bad at his job.

Let’s be real here, people want him gone for a situation that happened years ago.

Feel kind of bad at the fact that he’s staying out of the spotlight avoiding controversy, and people still won’t drop the stuff that happened with incognito. Can one ever escape their past? Who knows, but everyone here doesn’t seem to believe in 2nd chances

Jim Turner is working with the exact crap that he said was so good that they didn't need to address it in free agency or the draft.  He's stood up for his guys, and his guys largely suck.  Jordan and Hart suck.  It took an act of congress and a busted up franchise quarterback to get him pulled, all because he was Turner's guy.  

He may be staying out of the spotlight interns of PC crap, but he's very much in it for sucking at his job in every conceivable way.  

I'd argue that anyone defending him is only defending him because they think his tough guy routine in Miami makes him some old school martyr or some such shit.  He sucks.  His lines suck.  Move on.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 03:07 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I feel a little bad for Jim turner. Guy’s working with crap, and people want him canned saying he’s bad at his job.

Bobby Hart was re-signed after Zac Taylor and Jim Turner came on board. They could have chosen to go in a different direction.
Michael Jordan and Hakeem Adeniji were both Day 3 draft picks under Turner. Neither is worthy of starting.
Jonah Williams was the first draft pick under Turner and Taylor.
XSF was signed this past offseason, which would make him Turner's guy.
Trey Hopkins was given an extension just a year ago, which would be under Turner's tenure.

So every single OL decision aside from Billy Price has come under Taylor and Turner's tenure.
So they are partially/fully to blame.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

1) She's more credible than either you or me.
2) Who is to say she was wrong when she said weeks ago that the locker room was lost? Could it not be that the coaches were losing the locker room but put in effort to help bring the locker room together again?
3) We'll find out if she is right or not with this. But as we know with how Bengals have operated in past, they don't typically make staff changes until the season is over. Obviously, Teryl Austin two years ago was a rare midseason coaching change.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 07:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This is why I want them to go get a D coordinator with some experience.

If year year results in them moving on from Taylor, would anyone feel comfortable with Callahan, Duffner or Simmons as the Head Coach?

I like Simmons, but there has to be a reason he hasn't moved on to a head coaching gig somewhere, pro or college. As for the other two, we'd be in the same situation now with a young inexperienced guy at the helm.

He currently has lifetime security, good pay, and work he enjoys.  He already has everything he wants.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) She's more credible than either you or me.
2) Who is to say she was wrong when she said weeks ago that the locker room was lost? Could it not be that the coaches were losing the locker room but put in effort to help bring the locker room together again?
3) We'll find out if she is right or not with this. But as we know with how Bengals have operated in past, they don't typically make staff changes until the season is over. Obviously, Teryl Austin two years ago was a rare midseason coaching change.

Not according to Ken Zampese!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 04:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not according to Ken Zampese!

Zampese too. Forgot about him. Aside from those two, I can't recall another coach removed midseason in at least a decade?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote