Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Report - Bengals planning "major shake up" to Taylor's staff
I think they're trying to give him one last chance as a CEO-type HC, because apparently he's good at that part of being a coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 11:25 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: Outdated, MB is opening the pocket book for once, maybe he realized he can’t take it with him

Where was this "opening of the pocket book" as it applies to OL?  XSF was classic Bengals dumpster diving, and Spain came after the train had already derailed.  Mellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 11:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where was this "opening of the pocket book" as it applies to OL?  XSF was classic Bengals dumpster diving, and Spain came after the train had already derailed.  Mellow

I’m telling you, I truly think this is one of the only times I’m giving the FO the benefit of the doubt.

Turner is entering his second season as the Bengals offensive line coach. He admits that the team has looked at available free agents, but it's mostly due diligence.

"Have I looked at players? Yes. Would I name them right now? No," Turner said on the Bengals Booth Podcast. "Part of our job is to keep those guys on the back burner and to have somebody in your mind that's ready for you to sign."

"When we went into free agency, I'm thinking with Freddy (Fred Johnson) there, you don't feel like you need anything that way. With Hakeem [Adeniji] as the draft pick, I'm really not worried about that. And then when you got Xavier [Su'a-Filo] inside right now with Billy [Price] inside and of course Alex Redmond and Mike Jordan, I just feel really good about where we're at."

"I really feel good that we have some players that can step forward if need be," Turner said. "I don't know if we need to go into free agency, but, again, like I said, you're always prepared for that."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-jim-turner-free-agent-offensive-linemen

To me that sounds like team was at least willing to let them bring in some guys, but the bullshit artists that they are (Taylor & Turner) convinced them they could roll with what they had.

Reply/Quote
First in line should be both line coaches: Eason and Turner.
Reply/Quote
No one on the defensive side of the ball should be safe.

All three levels have struggled this season, as has the overall scheme.

Offensively I am comfortable with the position coaches staying with the exception of Turner.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 11:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Where was this "opening of the pocket book" as it applies to OL?  XSF was classic Bengals dumpster diving, and Spain came after the train had already derailed.  Mellow
I played devil's advocate about this, almost every quality O-Lineman was signed immediately, and it's not like drafting the Houston guy would have fixed much. The only way we could have got someone is through trading and we probably would have been gouged because proven OL are a premium after what happened with Tunsil, perhaps I would have been willing to part with some 2021 capital though.
Turner banged the table for his own dudes too, I am not kidding when I say this is the first time I have given the Browns the benefit of the doubt in my life.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 08:35 AM)pally Wrote: What struck me on 2nd reading of the article was her use of the term “league sources”.  Why in the world would anyone in the league have insight in what the Bengals Front Office plans to do with their coaching staff.  There are at most 6 people involved in those discussions, Mike Brown, Katie and Troy, Paul Brown, Duke, and Zac.  None of those people would leak

That is a wide ranging group of people, and many could be in the know.

From reporters who are friendly with the team, like a Lapham or Wilcots, to coaching agents who have received feelers to gauge client interest in positions.  Those are just examples, of course.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-major-shakeup-zac-taylor-coaching-staff

Key thing to note: Zac Taylor WILL be returning for a 3rd season, but the organization will force out multiple assistant coaches.

Sad, truly sad. They'll keep the most inept coach on the staff, the Head Coach, then toss some assistants under the bus in an attempt to calm the restless fans who have recognized that the franchise has moved backwards under Taylor.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Sad, truly sad. They'll keep the most inept coach on the staff, the Head Coach, then toss some assistants under the bus in an attempt to calm the restless fans who have recognized that the franchise has moved backwards under Taylor.

1. Turner is far more inept and shouldn't be in the NFL.
2. 2019 was moving backwards maybe, 2020 was pretty much the same as the last two years under Lewis. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:29 PM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: 1. Turner is far more inept and shouldn't be in the NFL.
2. 2019 was moving backwards maybe, 2020 was pretty much the same as the last two years under Lewis. 

Taylor is the HC and his job is coaching his coaches. He really, really, really sucks at this job.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 12:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Sad, truly sad. They'll keep the most inept coach on the staff, the Head Coach, then toss some assistants under the bus in an attempt to calm the restless fans who have recognized that the franchise has moved backwards under Taylor.

I honestly don't know how anyone in the Bengal's front office can think firing a couple of assistants will improve seat sales or overall fan/business support let alone amount to wins.

This family and Tobin are an absolute joke.

Hope and empty promises to try and right the ship of fools.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2021, 11:52 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m telling you, I truly think this is one of the only times I’m giving the FO the benefit of the doubt.

Turner is entering his second season as the Bengals offensive line coach. He admits that the team has looked at available free agents, but it's mostly due diligence.

"Have I looked at players? Yes. Would I name them right now? No," Turner said on the Bengals Booth Podcast. "Part of our job is to keep those guys on the back burner and to have somebody in your mind that's ready for you to sign."

"When we went into free agency, I'm thinking with Freddy (Fred Johnson) there, you don't feel like you need anything that way. With Hakeem [Adeniji] as the draft pick, I'm really not worried about that. And then when you got Xavier [Su'a-Filo] inside right now with Billy [Price] inside and of course Alex Redmond and Mike Jordan, I just feel really good about where we're at."

"I really feel good that we have some players that can step forward if need be," Turner said. "I don't know if we need to go into free agency, but, again, like I said, you're always prepared for that."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-jim-turner-free-agent-offensive-linemen

To me that sounds like team was at least willing to let them bring in some guys, but the bullshit artists that they are (Taylor & Turner) convinced them they could roll with what they had.

Good share, that explains much.  I can't say that I remember reading that, back when it was current.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 06:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-major-shakeup-zac-taylor-coaching-staff

Key thing to note: Zac Taylor WILL be returning for a 3rd season, but the organization will force out multiple assistant coaches.

Funny, they talk about shaking up the coaching staff but there are more troubling on going issues here such as the Duke Tobin, scouting dept and no real GM situation.  HOWABOUT SHAKING UP THAT !!!?? Its a small but not nearly enough measure to get the fans to cling on to hope. Its their MO since Mike Brown has been in charge.  Being honest here, I still want Taylor gone...even if they beat the Ravens 45-0 on Sunday,  but I could go along with keeping him if they started doing things the right way by hiring a true GM and getting a better scouting dept in place.   
Reply/Quote

While I am not thrilled with the work that any of the Bengals coaches have done here, I can't help but wonder if the Bengals have already contacted people and have replacements in mind?  I know there are rules of contacting coaches (if currently under contract, you can't steal away a "lateral move", unless agreed upon by both teams and there may be compensation for the team losing the coach), but unemployed coaches can be hired at any time.

I don't think the Bengals would be looking to eliminate 2-3 position coaches or coordinators unless they had a plan in mind of who they would like to replace them with.  Maybe some are internal promotions and some would be currently unemployed.  

Of the current coaches, I found it interesting that the title of assistant head coach is only attached to Darrin Simmons, so a team would have to offer him essentially HC in order to get him away from Cincy while under contract without compensation.  Could Darrin Simmons be moved to OC?  What do the Bengals think of Al Golden?  If they like him, he could be moved to DC.  

Some former Bengal coaches that I think were well liked and were hired away:

Alex Van Pelt.  I thought he was a great QB coach and Dalton had one of his best years under him.  He was hired away by none other than the Cleveland Browns to be their OC.  NOTE:  He does not have the "asst head coach" title.  All it would take under league rules is to add that to his title and the Bengals could steal him BACK from Cleveland.  Apparently, you can have two people with the title of assistant head coach.  Interesting fact about Van Pelt:  He lives in Cincinnati and has three children.  

James Urban-  Served as Bengals WR coach from 2011-2017 and has been the Raven's QB coach for the past three season.  He could be promoted to OC if he came to Cincinnati.

Jay Gruden-  He has had a solid year with next to no talent at Jax as their OC.  He could be offered the same OC position with the added title of Asst head coach as I mentioned with Van Pelt.  

Mike Zimmer-  The only real name I could think of after his coaching career in Cincy for the defense.  I loved his intensity, but not only do I not 
see Minnesota letting him go, I can't imagine he would want to come back here as a DC.  

Wade Phillips- He has quite the resume, but his age concerns me.  He isn't the healthiest looking guy, either.  Maybe if he wanted to be a "consultant" but we know coaches have such egos and any DC would probably feel threatened by him.

stole this from an article about the Raiders next DC candidates:  

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.88)]Kris Richard[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]Richard didn’t coach in the NFL last season. Prior to that, he was the defensive backs coach in Dallas. Before that job, he spent eight years with the Seahawks, the final three as defensive coordinator 2015-17. In those years his defenses were ranked second, fifth, and 11th respectively. Prior to that, he was credited with overseeing the ‘Legion of Boom’ secondary as the team’s defensive backs coach. In an ever more passing league, that could be just what the Raiders need. (Or Bengals:)[/color]

Based on this short list:  My dream additions would be Van Pelt to coach the offense and be asst. head coach, and Kris Richard to coach the defense.  I didn't go so far as to look for position coaches.  The good news is, based on the rules, the Bengals could already be in contact with them and even have an agreement in principle.  Before everyone poo-poos my thoughts for coaches, remember the Bengals spent a shit ton of money on FA last year.  What makes people think they wouldn't open their wallets for a group of better coaches?  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 07:17 PM)J24 Wrote: Yep A guy like Kris Richard might be interested.

Beat me to it...hope you will read the post I made that threw out some OC candidates as well and lmk your thoughts.  
Reply/Quote
Dan Roushar for Offensive Coordinator.

That brings in one of the top offensive line coaches in the NFL to give him a shot as an NFL coordinator. Roushar has OC experience at Butler, Ball State, and Power 5 Illinois & Michigan State before he made the jump to the NFL. Roushar has been on Sean Payton's Staff as the RB, TE, and OL coach since 2013.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 07:02 PM)J24 Wrote: Duffner might be the new D coordinator if they move on from Lou.

No way in Holy Hell does he deserve that job.....like every other assistant coach on our stuff none have accomplished much on their previous stops. What we need is a house cleaning of all coordinators and position coaches.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Sure would be nice if they would "shake up" the front office too.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it really the Cook's fault, if the owner keeps providing him poor quality food to work with?   Ninja

I am looking at this situation with all sincerity, and I look at ZT as handed a horrible situation.  What did I like best about Marvin?  Player evaluation.  He knew talent, but I HATED his taking character risks...and he didn't ever seem to learn when rumors swirled that his hatred for Ross was due in part to the fact that he wanted Reuben Foster...a colossal douchebag.  I don't think Marv is innovative in any way and just a good "overall guy".  What I believe separates Belichick from the crowd is his ability to alter game plans to each individual opponent.  I never saw this in Marv.  

Regardless of the past, I think ZT has shown a couple positives:  his team is still playing hard for him.  He has players that are seemingly "on his side" once the "old guard" that was most vocal in opposition was sent packing.  The problem was, the Bengals didn't go "all in".  They went halfway.  They should have gotten what they could for Dunlap, Geno, and AJ BEFORE this season.  Then, you have the opportunity to create the new culture from the start.  Year 1 was to evaluate.  Year 2 should have been what the Dolphins did.  You think they are pretty happy with that Texan's first round pick now?  As of today, it is the #4 overall pick.  Nice move.  

It isn't too late.  Move on from Geno and AJ and have maybe a couple FAs, a solid draft, and upgrades at the OC and DC positions and you could surprise people in 2021.  Dip your toes in and just go halfway again, and you will likely end up with the same results.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Before this year I’d mostly agree, but Taylor was given more expensive ingredients than Marvin could ever dream of. A major problem was Zac’s choice of sous-chef, and the guys on his line (literally).

Brother, you are way off base here...and I won't make a silly kitchen cliche.  The Bengals had raised the pay of Gruden, Zimmer, and Simmons under Marv to the point that the Bengals had three coaches making over $1 million dollars a year (if memory serves).  ZT wasn't given any special ingredients.  A lot of "what's left" guys like Anarumo.  They also gave Marv WR coaches like James Urban, and QB coaches like Van Pelt.  ZT got NOTHING in comparison.  
Reply/Quote