Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI Report - Bengals planning "major shake up" to Taylor's staff
(01-02-2021, 08:04 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: This hasn't aged well.  I think there may be more to come as well.  Lots of good defensive coordinators available right now.  It would be stupid to stick with lou.

THIS IS THE BENGALS WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. SO LOU WILL BE BACK.

Shoulda hired callahan when we had the chance...give h assistant hc title and bring him here like now!!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 11:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This post aged just fine. Turner being gone was pretty much a given, and I even said both line coaches would get canned IMO. That's a far cry from the wholesale coaching changes she quoted from "sources"

Okay. Lol.  Go back and read your rants again.  You were absolutely and clearly adamant that she could not possibly have "sources" and that nobody has been fired.  3 coaches and possibly more were shown the door just like her "sources" told her.  Just eat the crow dude...your posts made you look silly enough already.

Ps elise jesse does have "sources" just FYI.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:27 PM)SladeX Wrote: I was willing  to give the guy a chance. CANCELLING folks on the altar of Political Correctness is anathema to me. 

To me the problems with his behavior had nothing to do with political correctness.  Instead it was the fact that he supported asshole behavior that caused divisiveness among the offensive linemen instead of creating the cohesion that and teamwork that makes O-lines work well.

Bully behavior deserves to be cancelled.
Reply/Quote
Elise has added WR coach Bob Bicknell to the fired list

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:44 AM)pally Wrote: Elise has added WR coach Bob Bicknell to the fired list

IDK how I feel about Bicknell.

Positives: Higgins strong rookie season, Boyd playing well.
Negatives: Ross never developed, AJ lackluster year.

IDK if I can blame those negatives on Bicknell...
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 11:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: BS. Zimmer was an extremely experienced DC, so not sure why the need for snarky air quotes around bring in. He had been a DC for 7 years (2 different teams) when Marvin hired him.

Hue had been an OC for 2 different teams (and even a HC) when Marvin brought him back. These guys probably had some options.

Otoh Taylor hired two guys that had never been higher than position coaches to be his coordinators because that’s literally all he could get.

Marvin was the DC for one of the greatest defenses of all time. He had a ton of respect around the league before he even got here. His resume didn’t consist of a bunch of failures and having lunch with Sean McVay a few times as a position coach.

C'mon, man.  Do you think Hue came back here because of his respect for Marvin or because he was going to be the "Head Coach in Waiting"?

And don't you think Taylor's assistant coaches talent pool had something to do with the timing of how late he was hired?  These constant insults about him not being respected around the league are nothing more than BS conjecture.  Del Rio never said that in any way shape or form.  Given the situation behind the two teams that I already mentioned (and was, of course, ignored):  The division and the talent on the defense at Washington; it should be no surprised that Del Rio took that position.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 11:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This post aged just fine. Turner being gone was pretty much a given, and I even said both line coaches would get canned IMO. That's a far cry from the wholesale coaching changes she quoted from "sources"

Funny that she can name 4 specific coaches without actually having any sources.

You were wrong.  Just own up to it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:44 AM)pally Wrote: Elise has added WR coach Bob Bicknell to the fired list

Because he did such a poor job with Boyd and Higgins SMH.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 12:07 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And don't you think Taylor's assistant coaches talent pool had something to do with the timing of how late he was hired?  

No.

A large percentage of new head coaches come from Super Bowl teams.  They get hired as late as Taylor all the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 12:07 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: C'mon, man.  Do you think Hue came back here because of his respect for Marvin or because he was going to be the "Head Coach in Waiting"?

And don't you think Taylor's assistant coaches talent pool had something to do with the timing of how late he was hired?  These constant insults about him not being respected around the league are nothing more than BS conjecture.  Del Rio never said that in any way shape or form.  Given the situation behind the two teams that I already mentioned (and was, of course, ignored):  The division and the talent on the defense at Washington; it should be no surprised that Del Rio took that position.  

Why would Zac Taylor be respected around the league? One good year as a QB coach? That’s not enough to earn a HC job in your mid thirties. Especially when your only coordinator experience was an interim stint, and a dreadful college season. He literally has done nothing to earn respect/confidence whatever you want to call it. And after 2 terrible seasons it’s probably even worse now. Which is one reason I’m not that bothered by keeping Lou. I don’t think we can even do much better. He was a 5th choice when Taylor was still an unknown. I can’t even imagine who we’d had settle for now that people have a couple years sample of him.

Marvin was and is more respected than Taylor. Period. It’s mind boggling to me anyone would even debate that.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 12:54 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Because he did such a poor job with Boyd and Higgins SMH.

That was my first reaction, I wonder what the story is here. Ross failed, but Boyd has thrived, Higgins has surpassed rookie expectations and Auden state has provided more than what you would expect a 7th rounder to provide. I thought he has done a decent job.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  Which is one reason I’m not that bothered by keeping Lou. I don’t think we can even do much better. 

I disagree.  

1.  When Marvin Lewis was mired in mediocrity I used to say that we should not fire him unless we have a proven upgrade.  But when you are mired near the bottom of the league it is worth it to take a chance on anyone new.

2.  I would be willing to give Lou another year if he had some history of success as a coach, but he has never been a DC before and the defense has been bad every where he coached.  He was DB coach with the Giants in '18 and their defense ranked 24th.  He was a DB coach with the Dolphins for 6 years and their defense only finished higher than 20th twice (12th in '14 and 16th in '17).
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I disagree.  

1.  When Marvin Lewis was mired in mediocrity I used to say that we should not fire him unless we have a proven upgrade.  But when you are mired near the bottom of the league it is worth it to take a chance on anyone new.

2.  I would be willing to give Lou another year if he had some history of success as a coach, but he has never been a DC before and the defense has been bad every where he coached.  He was DB coach with the Giants in '18 and their defense ranked 24th.  He was a DB coach with the Dolphins for 6 years and their defense only finished higher than 20th twice (12th in '14 and 16th in '17).

I suppose. It just feels like our options would be even worse this time around. If I was a position coach looking for my first DC opportunity I’d be pretty nervous about hitching my wagon to Zac Taylor.

Reply/Quote
RB coach Jemal Singleton is likely the new RB coach at UK. This was reported by Kentucky Sports Radio. Not known whether it is because he was getting a pink slip or not

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 11:54 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: IDK how I feel about Bicknell.

Positives: Higgins strong rookie season, Boyd playing well.
Negatives: Ross never developed, AJ lackluster year.

IDK if I can blame those negatives on Bicknell...

Don't forget Auden Tate with only 150 yards in 9 games so far this season.
That's a major disappointment after 575 yards in 12 games last season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I don't recall you ever saying both line coaches would get canned. If you did, I apologize for not remembering.
But regardless, Elise's report was correct.
Just admit she was right on this.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Don't forget Auden Tate with only 150 yards in 9 games so far this season.
That's a major disappointment after 575 yards in 12 games last season.

Yep. And 0 TD’s. I think Whatever might have been right about him the whole time.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 03:07 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Okay. Lol.  Go back and read your rants again.  You were absolutely and clearly adamant that she could not possibly have "sources" and that nobody has been fired.  3 coaches and possibly more were shown the door just like her "sources" told her.  Just eat the crow dude...your posts made you look silly enough already.

Ps elise jesse does have "sources" just FYI.

Go back and read my posts. I have said all along I expected Turner and Eason to be gone. And I've barely heard of the other guy. Major shakeup my butt.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 01:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't recall you ever saying both line coaches would get canned. If you did, I apologize for not remembering.
But regardless, Elise's report was correct.
Just admit she was right on this.

I have, numerous threads. No one should be surprised by the line coaches being fired, both lines sucked. Is that some big surprise? The other guy is a nobody. When they fire 8-10 coaches, I will say she was correct and there was a major shake up, otherwise she was just stating the obivous.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 02:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I have, numerous threads. No one should be surprised by the line coaches being fired, both lines sucked. Is that some big surprise? The other guy is a nobody. When they fire 8-10 coaches, I will say she was correct and there was a major shake up, otherwise she was just stating the obivous.
Just because it's a surprise or not that the DL and OL coaches are being changed doesn't mean it's not credible news.

4 coaches (and counting?).
OL coach
DL coach
defensive assistant
WR coach

RB coach might be leaving for UK.

You may not consider that a major shake-up, but some (including myself) do.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote