Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI.com's Peter King writes letter of caution to NFL players
(01-16-2016, 09:20 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Nope....It was barely a physical rivalry until Burfict took out Bell with what many considered a dirty hit.  PIT started targeting Burfict, and CIN of course had his back.  The rest is history, and another chapter in CIN playoff losing streak.  Take Burfict out of the equation and I guarantee we aren't having this discussion.

And I know you guys want to deny it, but CIN has been fined more than PIT in about the past 6 of 8 years,

Burfict grabbed him by the waist and let the weight of his own body bring him down. I really don't see how that is a dirty hit.

The second statement in bold - (Goedell is working on it, give him time). I am sure Rooney has said your exact words to Goedell.

The last statement in bold - Goedell loves him some Steelers.

Makes the league more money which is what it's all about.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:43 AM)6andcounting Wrote: I don't what I find more funny: Digging that far back to try blame it on the Steelers or the fact that the story they are going with is the one where they admit they're still butthurt over Hine Ward.

It started over a Tweet where a dirty player was not given the benefit of the doubt after causing an injury.

I might be thinking more about the fans than the players, admittedly. The hit on Rivers was really when the old board blew up with all the Bengals fans bitching about playing dirty and it really hasn't stopped since. I don't get to see many Steelers games, so I don't get to see what goes on during games, and I don't pay attention to the sports media so the stuff off the field is unknown to me.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:20 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Nope....It was barely a physical rivalry until Burfict took out Bell with what many considered a dirty hit.  PIT started targeting Burfict, and CIN of course had his back.  The rest is history, and another chapter in CIN playoff losing streak.  Take Burfict out of the equation and I guarantee we aren't having this discussion.

And I know you guys want to deny it, but CIN has been fined more than PIT in about the past 6 of 8 years,

The fact of the matter is, Pitt is better at playing to the boundary of the rules, and occasionally going over them when it won't really hurt them. It's the way they've always been and it's part of the reason they get away with a lot; volume. 

Spearing someone in the face is dirty and it's dangerous for both players. Just because Shazier got off on a technicality (angles) doesn't mean he was in the right.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 09:20 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Nope....It was barely a physical rivalry until Burfict took out Bell with what many  steelers fans considered a dirty hit.  

Bullshit. You know why it's not dirty? Because he's done it several times and besides the glass-kneed Bell, no one has ever been hurt by it. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Any football fans who considers the Burfict hit on Bell dirty should lose their NFL fan card and should be given a set of panties to wear. As for the fines, it really is quite simple, the Bengals break the rules and they get fined severely. The Steelers break the rules, no flags and no fines over and over again. So why would anyone be surprised more punishment handed out to the Bengals. Hell Jones got 3 times the fine Porter received is a great example of the NFL bias and BS seen week after week.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Any football fans who considers the Burfict hit on Bell dirty should lose their NFL fan card and should be given a set of panties to wear. As for the fines, it really is quite simple, the Bengals break the rules and they get fined severely. The Steelers break the rules, no flags and no fines over and over again. So why would anyone be surprised more punishment handed out to the Bengals. Hell Jones got 3 times the fine Porter received is a great example of the NFL bias and BS seen week after week.

Maybe they should talk to an attorney about suing the league.

Hilarious
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 01:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Any football fans who considers the Burfict hit on Bell dirty should lose their NFL fan card and should be given a set of panties to wear. 

I'd say the same thing about the losers who whined about the legal hit Ward laid on Rivers.  A WR took out one of your LB'ers dude, no wonder your team has such a bad reputation.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 12:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The fact of the matter is, Pitt is better at playing to the boundary of the rules, and occasionally going over them when it won't really hurt them. It's the way they've always been and it's part of the reason they get away with a lot; volume. 

Spearing someone in the face is dirty and it's dangerous for both players. Just because Shazier got off on a technicality (angles) doesn't mean he was in the right.

This is my problem with the situation.  Either you can hit somebody in the head, or you can't.  They are either concerned with player safety, or they aren't.  I don't want to hear about "establishing" this or that.  Either all headshots are illegal, or they are not.  They need to quit muddying the waters in a rule book that is already arbitrary and convoluted.  I don't think Shazier is a dirty player, and I don't think he was trying to injure Gio (just as I don't think Burfict was trying to injure AB).  The officiating in the NFL just lacks consistency, and it's maddening.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:04 PM)jason Wrote: This is my problem with the situation.  Either you can hit somebody in the head, or you can't.  They are either concerned with player safety, or they aren't.  I don't want to hear about "establishing" this or that.  Either all headshots are illegal, or they are not.  They need to quit muddying the waters in a rule book that is already arbitrary and convoluted.  I don't think Shazier is a dirty player, and I don't think he was trying to injure Gio (just as I don't think Burfict was trying to injure AB).  The officiating in the NFL just lacks consistency, and it's maddening.

If they made all contact to the head illegal then you couldn't play O-line or D-line anymore.  If you want a league where there's a penalty every play then have at it.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:04 PM)jason Wrote: This is my problem with the situation.  Either you can hit somebody in the head, or you can't.  They are either concerned with player safety, or they aren't.  I don't want to hear about "establishing" this or that.  Either all headshots are illegal, or they are not.  They need to quit muddying the waters in a rule book that is already arbitrary and convoluted.  I don't think Shazier is a dirty player, and I don't think he was trying to injure Gio (just as I don't think Burfict was trying to injure AB).  The officiating in the NFL just lacks consistency, and it's maddening.

Well that's not how the NFL works.  

O-linemen are not protected, RB's can lower their head when going through the line, a WR who has caught the ball and is running is safer to hit than one reaching high for a ball, a horse-collar tackle cannot be called on QB when they are in the pocket, etc.

That's why I joke that the NFL REALLY CARES when its obvious all they care about is not getting sued and losing money.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well that's not how the NFL works.  

O-linemen are not protected, RB's can lower their head when going through the line, a WR who has caught the ball and is running is safer to hit than one reaching high for a ball, a horse-collar tackle cannot be called on QB when they are in the pocket, etc.

That's why I joke that the NFL REALLY CARES when its obvious all they care about is not getting sued and losing money.

If the NFL was smart, or rather if Goodell wasn't a moronic spoiled simpleton, there'd be a waiver clause in every NFL contact stating that football is an inherently unsafe game and there is a risk of long term, permanent, injury.  The NFL is making the same mistake that big tobacco made back in the day, trying to claim the product is safe or trying to mitigate it's inherent risks.  Regardless, playing the NFL has far fewer long term health consequences to many jobs, like being a coal miner, with far better compensation.  The whining and kvetching over guys making millions to play a game while poor people slave away in brutal jobs for minimal compensation is disgusting IMO.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If they made all contact to the head illegal then you couldn't play O-line or D-line anymore.  If you want a league where there's a penalty every play then have at it.

I wouldn't be for outlawing all H2H because it would be impossible to do. Lowering your head and driving the crown of your helmet into any part of an opponent's body should be illegal on every square inch of a football field. 

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't be for outlawing all H2H because it would be impossible to do. Lowering your head and driving the crown of your helmet into any part of an opponent's body should be illegal on every square inch of a football field. 

Including RB's going through the line for a one yard TD?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Including RB's going through the line for a one yard TD?

H2H would be ok, but no, i wouldn't be for a RB driving the crown of his helmet into a defender. 

Defenders are 100% responsible for avoiding HnN hits on defenseless receivers. RBs should be 100% responsible for avoiding spearing a defender, short yardage or not. 

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:04 PM)jason Wrote:   I don't think Shazier is a dirty player, and I don't think he was trying to injure Gio (just as I don't think Burfict was trying to injure AB). 

That's fair as long as you don't conclude that Burthdefect isn't a dirty player either.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: H2H would be ok, but no, i wouldn't be for a RB driving the crown of his helmet into a defender. 

Defenders are 100% responsible for avoiding HnN hits on defenseless receivers. RBs should be 100% responsible for avoiding spearing a defender, short yardage or not. 

Impossible to avoid in short yardage. Too many bodies in a small space, hence the term "tackle box".
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:44 PM)Vlad Wrote: Impossible to avoid in short yardage. Too many bodies in a small space, hence the term "tackle box".

It's not impossible to avoid. It's as easy as not dropping your head and looking at the ground. If a RB goes through the line bent over and makes contact, H2H with the area just above his facemask, that's not the crown of his helmet.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If they made all contact to the head illegal then you couldn't play O-line or D-line anymore.  If you want a league where there's a penalty every play then have at it.

That's my point. I hate those rules. They are trying to fix something that can't be fixed. They want to protect player x, but not player y. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:40 PM)Vlad Wrote: That's fair as long as you don't conclude that Burthdefect isn't a dirty player either.

He is what he is. It's not my job to defend him. I love the way he plays, and you would too if he was a Steeler.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 03:21 PM)jason Wrote: That's my point. I hate those rules. They are trying to fix something that can't be fixed. They want to protect player x, but not player y. 

I agree and have been saying this for years.  I stated this all the time on the old boards and was dismissed as a Steelers homer who only complained because his team was the one getting flagged for such hits.  I mentioned that James Harrison had his orbital bone broken when a pulling lineman speared him in the face with the crown of his helmet, no flag and no fine.  The response to that was Harrison got what he deserved.  Sadly, and I'm not necessarily accusing this of this, this only seems to be an issue to Bengals fans now because it affected them.  I don't need something to directly affect me to see how it might in the future or how it's inherently wrong.  Sadly this is not a quality that many possess.
Reply/Quote