Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
STUPID Play Call On Opening INT Lost Us The Game.......
(11-07-2021, 07:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Throwing an out inside the 10 was the stupidest play that could have been called.

It was a bad throw by Burrow, but only bad things can happen when you throw the ball to the sideline that close to the end zone.

The DBs don't have to respect getting beat deep so they just wait to pounce.

That's a 14 point swing and then set the tone for the rest of the game.

Stupid coaching cost us again.

Chase was running a whip route, which is there to take advantage of aggressive DB's in goal line situations by having the receiver start into a slant(hoping the DB will jump it), then go into an out for an easy TD.  Ward didn't jump the slant, contact at the top of the route hurt Chase's break, and Burrow threw it flat and inside.  Ward made a good break on the ball and a pick 6 was the result.

Burrow and Chase are both great young players, but both are still figuring out the pro game and what they can and can't do.  They make mistakes.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I actually think the playcalling isn't terrible until we reach redzone. our redzone offense lacks in creativity.
Reply/Quote
The play-call was fine. Burrow chose to throw the out route and he chose to throw it into tight coverage. That was all on Burrow. Every single bit of it.

EDIT - After seeing it again, it wasn’t even an out route. It was a whip route.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 09:51 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The play-call was fine. Burrow chose to throw the out route and he chose to throw it into tight coverage. That was all on Burrow. Every single bit of it.

We need more window dressing in the redzone especially since we lack talent in the interior to win on talent alone.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 09:51 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The play-call was fine. Burrow chose to throw the out route and he chose to throw it into tight coverage. That was all on Burrow. Every single bit of it.

83 pops open towards the back of the endzone and 85 has a step coming across the middle.

Just the wrong target to throw it too and a great job by the CB of staying on the route.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 10:16 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: 83 pops open towards the back of the endzone and 85 has a step coming across the middle.

Just the wrong target to throw it too and a great job by the CB of staying on the route.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn’t even realized that it wasn’t an out route but a whip route. Burrow definitely zeroed in on Chase here. Rough way to start the game because that drive was great.
Reply/Quote

EDIT - After seeing it again, it wasn’t even an out route. It was a whip route.

No, that play call was not fine.

Any good DB knows to use the sideline as a 2nd defender. It’s the same concept I teach my basketball team when they have a guy trying to beat them on the baseline or sideline.

Awful play concept and really stupid by Burrow to throw it there. No - play call < fine.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I'm still giving the Oline a ton of blame. I think Burrow had lost complete trust in this line. He's trying to do too much to compensate for it, and it's causing mistakes...
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 09:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Chase was running a whip route, which is there to take advantage of aggressive DB's in goal line situations by having the receiver start into a slant(hoping the DB will jump it), then go into an out for an easy TD.  Ward didn't jump the slant, contact at the top of the route hurt Chase's break, and Burrow threw it flat and inside.  Ward made a good break on the ball and a pick 6 was the result.

Burrow and Chase are both great young players, but both are still figuring out the pro game and what they can and can't do.  They make mistakes.  

Rep

It’s nice to actually discuss what happened as opposed to - - well…whatever it is some of these people are doing right now.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 10:46 PM)Tony Wrote: I'm still giving the Oline a ton of blame. I think Burrow had lost complete trust in this line. He's trying to do too much to compensate for it, and it's causing mistakes...

They literally marched right down the field to score on the opening drive, but once Burrow put them in a hole you’re playing right into Cleveland’s strengths (run the ball and unleash Garrett). It set the tone for the whole rest of the game.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 07:59 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I believe the WR named Peoples from Cleveland would disagree that Bates is soft. 

Soft or not, they'd look pretty stupid to lock him up for whatever he was wanting back in the summer... Pay the man my ass.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 11:06 PM)jason Wrote: Soft or not, they'd look pretty stupid to lock him up for whatever he was wanting back in the summer... Pay the man my ass.

If he wants to be paid like a top safety he needs to play like one and this season he hasn't looked the part.

I'm really not sure what the cause is either, the DL is getting more pressure which should in theory make the DBs job easier but something really seems off with Bates outside of some splash plays here and there.

Still wouldn't say the guy is "soft" I just see a guy who either isn't focused or is taking bad angles and missing tackles.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 10:39 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: No, that play call was not fine.

Any good DB knows to use the sideline as a 2nd defender. It’s the same concept I teach my basketball team when they have a guy trying to beat them on the baseline or sideline.

Awful play concept and really stupid by Burrow to throw it there. No - play call < fine.

A whip route near the goal line is a fine play call, most teams will man you up that close and whip routes are man beaters. They’re very commonly used throughout the NCAA and NFL.

The problem wasn’t the play call, Burrow just threw a shit ball, man.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 11:10 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If he wants to be paid like a top safety he needs to play like one and this season he hasn't looked the part.

I'm really not sure what the cause is either, the DL is getting more pressure which should in theory make the DBs job easier but something really seems off with Bates outside of some splash plays here and there.

Still wouldn't say the guy is "soft" I just see a guy who either isn't focused or is taking bad angles and missing tackles.

I think Bates is playing hurt... 
Reply/Quote
Nick Chubb running up their ass lost them the game today. It wasn't just him either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Sorry, but the idea that you just can’t call a whip or out route at the goal line is completely ridiculous. No NFL team will subscribe to that philosophy. This is fanbase nonsense.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 07:57 PM)Tony Wrote: It was a bad throw ... It  needed to be outside more... I knew Burrow would get one of those outs like that pick 6d eventually. There is just some throws he can't make.. He will learn from it , hopefully....

That's why you have to run  to the corner of the endzone....oh well, maybe next time.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 11:18 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: A whip route near the goal line is a fine play call, most teams will man you up that close and whip routes are man beaters. They’re very commonly used throughout the NCAA and NFL.

The problem wasn’t the play call, Burrow just threw a shit ball, man.

(11-08-2021, 12:04 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Sorry, but the idea that you just can’t call a whip or out route at the goal line is completely ridiculous. No NFL team will subscribe to that philosophy. This is fanbase nonsense.

90% of the criticism of "play calling" has nothiong to do with the actual play call and everything to do with how it works.

It just is not true that this route will be intercepted by "any good DB".  I have seen it work many times for many different teams.
Reply/Quote
Burrow didn't lead the WR enough on the throw from what I could tell. He failed to put it in a spot where only Chase could catch it.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:09 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The tunnel vision is going to become a problem. 

13 Targets - 6 catches

8 Targets - 6 catches

2 targets - 1 catch.

That is not acceptable.

What about Tyler Boyd? He didn't have a target until late in the 4th.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote