Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
STUPID Play Call On Opening INT Lost Us The Game.......
(11-07-2021, 07:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Throwing an out inside the 10 was the stupidest play that could have been called.

It was a bad throw by Burrow, but only bad things can happen when you throw the ball to the sideline that close to the end zone.

The DBs don't have to respect getting beat deep so they just wait to pounce.

That's a 14 point swing and then set the tone for the rest of the game.

Stupid coaching cost us again.

I get the frustration, Brad.  This team was soaring after beating the Rats to become 5-2.  It was "fools gold'.  They showed what they CAN be against a team like Baltimore, but they aren't there yet.  

Burrow will learn from things like that, as will Chase.  I guess the route was designed to go outside, but Ward was really setting him up outside.  The inside slant was there.  Regardless, I remember in Palmer's first year (and some of his second) that he would make these amazing throws and  then throw a pick six and you are like "what was he thinking?", but the DB play at the NFL level is so much better than an easy TD in college can be a pick six here.  

I don't want to take away Burrow's aggressiveness at all.  He is learning every game.  This game, he learned how to get hit after every damn pass.  That needs to stop.  Time to go max protect and have fewer targets in a route.  He simply can't hold up to beatings like that.  Sure, some of it was the deficit forcing them to become one dimensional, but the coaches need to do a better job keeping more guys in to block.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If that's Dalton yesterday, I bet there isn't a damn soul blaming coaches....lol. Burrow was off bad yesterday, and so was Chase. I find it hard to believe that Boyd wasn't open until late in the 4th quarter.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get the frustration, Brad.  This team was soaring after beating the Rats to become 5-2.  It was "fools gold'.  They showed what they CAN be against a team like Baltimore, but they aren't there yet.  

Burrow will learn from things like that, as will Chase.  I guess the route was designed to go outside, but Ward was really setting him up outside.  The inside slant was there.  Regardless, I remember in Palmer's first year (and some of his second) that he would make these amazing throws and  then throw a pick six and you are like "what was he thinking?", but the DB play at the NFL level is so much better than an easy TD in college can be a pick six here.  

I don't want to take away Burrow's aggressiveness at all.  He is learning every game.  This game, he learned how to get hit after every damn pass.  That needs to stop.  Time to go max protect and have fewer targets in a route.  He simply can't hold up to beatings like that.  Sure, some of it was the deficit forcing them to become one dimensional, but the coaches need to do a better job keeping more guys in to block.  

To be fair, the guys that were kept in to block missed their assignments. It was noted by Romo, and by the guys at halftime. Also, he is locking in on Chase, and the big play. The underneath stuff was there all day, he just didn't take it very often. Tyler Boyd didn't have a catch until way late in the 4th quarter. I'm not sure he even had a target until then. 

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 10:39 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: No, that play call was not fine.

Any good DB knows to use the sideline as a 2nd defender. It’s the same concept I teach my basketball team when they have a guy trying to beat them on the baseline or sideline.

Awful play concept and really stupid by Burrow to throw it there. No - play call < fine.

Except that it wasn't the only route ran. Bad read by 9. Boyd and Higgins were BOTH open on the play. Burrow is getting the tunnel vision for #1.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 10:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: Except that it wasn't the only route ran. Bad read by 9. Boyd and Higgins were BOTH open on the play. Burrow is getting the tunnel vision for #1.

Why are you trying to argue when we agree? Burrow is the main culprit. 

"Awful play concept and really stupid by Burrow to throw it there"
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 10:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: If that's Dalton yesterday, I bet there isn't a damn soul blaming coaches....lol. Burrow was off bad yesterday, and so was Chase. I find it hard to believe that Boyd wasn't open until late in the 4th quarter.

footgae I saw from the baltimore game showed that they were doubling Boyd

so is it possible teams are focusing on scheming out Boyd and Chase?
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 09:48 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I actually think the playcalling isn't terrible until we reach redzone. our redzone offense lacks in creativity.

Is that why they are in the top 10 in Red Zone scoring?
Reply/Quote
Y’all gotta remember Burrow is still young. Also this team was overachieving. Our defense was insane for about 6 games and Jamar Chase was being single covered which led to him being god like. Teams now know to double Chase which takes away Burrows hot read. I don’t want to say it but the Jets and now the Browns exposed Burrow as a one read QB. Burrow has to get back to spreading it around and for gods sake take the damn RB flat pass WAY MORE. He’s a home run hitter but sometimes the home run is going 8/8 on a drive passing exclusively to the RB.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:35 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: footgae I saw from the baltimore game showed that they were doubling Boyd

Yeah I’m going to go with my gut and exclude the possibility that Burrow just isn’t throwing to an open Boyd. They have to be doing something to Boyd for him to get so little targets.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They literally marched right down the field to score on the opening drive, but once Burrow put them in a hole you’re playing right into Cleveland’s strengths (run the ball and unleash Garrett). It set the tone for the whole rest of the game.

Eh, except the Bengals marched right down the field and score to tie the game at 7.

The reality is that this team has obvious holes and the worst matchup for them is a team with an elite o-line and an elite D-line.  

Cleveland got pressure with 4 pass rushers and an occasional CB blitz.  They're just a much better team overall and have one of the best rosters in the league. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 07:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Throwing an out inside the 10 was the stupidest play that could have been called.

It was a bad throw by Burrow, but only bad things can happen when you throw the ball to the sideline that close to the end zone.

The DBs don't have to respect getting beat deep so they just wait to pounce.

That's a 14 point swing and then set the tone for the rest of the game.

Stupid coaching cost us again.

Another post trying to absolve Bengals Jesus (Burrow)
This shit is getting out of hand 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:35 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: footgae I saw from the baltimore game showed that they were doubling Boyd

I guess it's possible. I didn't watch Baltimore game close enough to say. I know on the pick 6, he was open, and so was Tee. If you're correct, Joe has to get the ball to the RBs/TEs underneath, and hit Higgins more. To be fair, he went to 85 several times, Uzo, and even Sample yesterday. Turnovers killed us, as well as the Bears game. There were some bad drops yesterday too. I just found it crazy that 83, your chain moving possession receiver didn't have a catch until the 4th quarter.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:27 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Why are you trying to argue when we agree? Burrow is the main culprit. 

"Awful play concept and really stupid by Burrow to throw it there"

I guess I misread your post....I liked the call ok, I just thought it was bad execution.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 10:03 AM)Wyche Wrote: To be fair, the guys that were kept in to block missed their assignments. It was noted by Romo, and by the guys at halftime. Also, he is locking in on Chase, and the big play. The underneath stuff was there all day, he just didn't take it very often. Tyler Boyd didn't have a catch until way late in the 4th quarter. I'm not sure he even had a target until then. 

Something is off with Boyd and Joe.  I don't want to speculate, but it just isn't there.   He is using Higgins a lot, Chase, even CJ...but not Boyd.  I kept waiting for the breakout game from him.  Hasn't happened. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 11:35 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: footgae I saw from the baltimore game showed that they were doubling Boyd

Ever since Boyd's late TD that knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs that one year, he's been a focus of Baltimore's D.  They were shadowing him with Humphrey up until last game, when they tried shadowing Chase with him.  
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 01:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Something is off with Boyd and Joe.  I don't want to speculate, but it just isn't there.   He is using Higgins a lot, Chase, even CJ...but not Boyd.  I kept waiting for the breakout game from him.  Hasn't happened. 

Jacksonville, NYJ

he balled out those games. Dont cherry pick and ignore the games where he went off
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 07:59 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I believe the WR named Peoples from Cleveland would disagree that Bates is soft. 

Bates also missed quite a few tackles in space that would have stopped some plays from being big ones. I, for one, am glad they haven't extended him if he's going to continue to trend downward. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 01:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Something is off with Boyd and Joe.  I don't want to speculate, but it just isn't there.   He is using Higgins a lot, Chase, even CJ...but not Boyd.  I kept waiting for the breakout game from him.  Hasn't happened. 

Boyd had a big game against JAX (9 rec 118 yds).

Reply/Quote
What is it with this board blaming everyone but the quarterback when something goes wrong? The interception is 100% on Burrow. Every NFL team throws the ball in the red zone.
Reply/Quote
I kind of avoided the board for a day because it's a shitshow after a loss, but the play call/route is fine and a staple of a lot of red zone plays. It's a whip route which is just a slant and return motion. The reality is it was getting picked no matter where Burrow threw it(he said it was a bit behind but it didn't matter when you watch it back) because he was locked in there. If you watch Ward during the play he stays in the hip pocket on the slant and isn't fooled so as soon as Chase goes to the return he drives on the ball. Even if that ball is way out in front it's still "late" by virtue of the defender driving so early which is a cardinal sin, you can never be late to the boundary or else it's six. You could argue maybe he could get it to the pylon but that's not the throw there it's just at his frame or in front, and so he should have came off it for the crosser to the back pylon behind it.

One of Burrows biggest struggles this year has been looking off defenders. It is a myth defenders watch your eyes, they honestly can't see them well from 20 yards away, but they do watch where the helmet is pointing. The best guys will keep their head down the center of the field but use their eyes and peripheral vision to find their guys, Burrow has not been good this year at doing so.
Reply/Quote