Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanu= virtually no chance he will resign with the Bengals
Sanu had flashes of brilliance but would completely disappear for such long stretches. I'm really confused as to why a team would shell out a lot of money to a player like that. Great as a backup/reserve type but not very dependable from week to week is what I'd say.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:55 AM)Gohards Wrote: So in other words, 1 down-the-field threat at WR? Sounds like trouble to me.

Sign Boldin and draft two flyers, problem solved.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 10:36 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wow, can you believe that Fredtoast would only pick one point of a person's post and ignore the rest of it? Nothing like that has ever happened before. Rolleyes

The fact is that Marvin Jones still only averaged 12.6 yards per reception in 2015 despite having 4 catches of 40+ yards. Here's the other players he's tied with and their yards per catch.

Malcolm Floyd   18.7
DeSean Jackson  17.6
Rishard Mathews  15.4
Marvin Jones  12.6
Demaryius Thomas  12.4

The only person he beat in average is a 105 / 1,304 receiver who had the lowest average of his career due to noodle armed Manning. The rest crushed him.

Among WR/TE with at least 32 catches (so 2 a game, made it a relatively high bar to try to preemptively prevent at lest a little of your whining, a potential pool of 103 players), Marvin Jones' 12.6 average is 50th. Or right smack dab in the mediocre middle of okay #2 territory.

He's not a bad #2, he's just simply not a great deep threat. Not sure how you can argue a guy who's longest catch of his career is a non-scoring 47 yarder is a great deep threat.

The fact that Marvin Jones in top 30 in both 40+ yard and 20+ yard receptions shows that he can hurt teams deep.  So defenses have to respect that.  The fact that he also catches a lot of short passes that bring down his average does not change the fact that he is a legit deep threat that defenses have to account for.  That helps open up the field for all the other receivers.

If we replace Jones with a guy that had the exact same average (12.6) but never caught a 40+ yard pass it would have an impact on our entire passing game.  Opposing defenses could basically ignore any deep help one one side of the field.

So it isn't just the average per catch.  It is the fact that Jones has proven that he is a deep threat.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:43 PM)Gohards Wrote: So if we lose sanu and marvin jones, who besides aj green do we have to go somewhat "deep"? (20+ yards)

I get what youre saying by bringing out statistics, but numbers dont always tell the full story. 

If all you're worried about is someone running down the field, I ran a sub 4.5 40 (unofficial) in high school.

If you want someone who can do something down the field, we haven't had anyone besides Green since the days of Johnson, Housh, and Henry.

Fun fact of the day - I work with a guy named Chris Henry.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 10:27 AM)McC Wrote: Don't know if I can get behind drafting a third rounder in the first, no matter what Kiper says.

I hear ya but if you think about it he would not only "maybe" replace Mo's skill set, he could also free up AJM for a possible trade for more draft picks or player(s). He would basically be our #2 receiver and our unofficial #2 Qb. I can totally see Mike thinking the same thing, and it could work.

Reply/Quote
Somewhere Rex Burkhead just set up a jugs machine in his backyard, rubbed his hands together and laughed.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2016, 11:28 PM)Gohards Wrote: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-moham-sanu-will-not-resign-021816

Sanus agent, and the Cincinnati Bengals have not even spoke about signing a contract.

Does this make Marvin Jones a must sign? If they both leave, are we in trouble?

Sanu will be the easier of the 2 to replace... hes a good player who step up here and there but really never got back in a grove he had the beginning of last year. might have lost some trust from dalton along the way.

Replacing a #4 WR wont be that hard. his 4 passes in 4 years wont really be missed with dalton passing the ball the way he was last year.
Reply/Quote
Just my 2 cents, but I think a lot of Sanu depends on re-signing Marvin. You re-sign Marvin, Sanu's stock is worth less. If he walks, then Sanu (who isn't going to draw the same interest from other teams) gets an offer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Burkhead is going to see more snaps. I like this.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 02:28 PM)Benton Wrote: Just my 2 cents, but I think a lot of Sanu depends on re-signing Marvin. You re-sign Marvin, Sanu's stock is worth less. If he walks, then Sanu (who isn't going to draw the same interest from other teams) gets an offer.

This.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:02 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Burkhead is going to see more snaps. I like this.

The guy on the bench is always a favorite until he actually has to play.  See: Cedric Peerman, Bernard Scott, Armon Binns, Ryan Whalen, Dez Briscoe, Bennie Brazell, etc., etc.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:56 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Sign Boldin and draft two flyers, problem solved.

So you're using three draft picks on WRs?

The reason I say that is because unless I missed Anquan Boldin being cut, he's under contract with the 49ers for the next three seasons. So the Bengals would have to trade for Boldin unless he's cut.

EDIT: Nevermind, it does look like the 49ers did just void his contract and he is set to hit FA on March 9.
http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/2/12/10976226/anquan-boldin-contract-officially-voids-today-adds-dead-money

I'd be up for him joining the Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The guy on the bench is always a favorite until he actually has to play.  See: Cedric Peerman, Bernard Scott, Armon Binns, Ryan Whalen, Dez Briscoe, Bennie Brazell, etc., etc.

Agreed, although I've thought Rex did ok when he was in. I'm having a hard time remembering, though, how his blocking was. I always thought he might be able to add more in that way than Sanu was, helping out with the running game or middle of the field passing by blocking. But I can't remember how he actually did at it.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that Marvin Jones in top 30 in both 40+ yard and 20+ yard receptions shows that he can hurt teams deep.  So defenses have to respect that.  The fact that he also catches a lot of short passes that bring down his average does not change the fact that he is a legit deep threat that defenses have to account for.  That helps open up the field for all the other receivers.

If we replace Jones with a guy that had the exact same average (12.6) but never caught a 40+ yard pass it would have an impact on our entire passing game.  Opposing defenses could basically ignore any deep help one one side of the field.

So it isn't just the average per catch.  It is the fact that Jones has proven that he is a deep threat.

Totally agree... Jones also gives AJ a bit of help with being a deep threat.... no Jones as a deep threat means more focus over top on AJ
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what is up with all the Boldin love. Are people serious? Boldin is done. This isn't 2011.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not sure what is up with all the Boldin love. Are people serious? Boldin is done. This isn't 2011.

We all know how Mike Brown thinks and the type of FA's he likes to bring in. Aka Washed up. Give us a break we're just being realists. 

Reply/Quote
I'm actually OK with him leaving. Give me a pure slot WR in the draft and I think that part of the roster is upgraded. I liked Sanu, but I just didn't think he was slot WR material.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 06:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm actually OK with him leaving.  Give me a pure slot WR in the draft and I think that part of the roster is upgraded.  I liked Sanu, but I just didn't think he was slot WR material.

Yep.

Aside from the occasional trick play WR screen-pass, I wasn't that impressed with a whole lot of what he did.

I definitely think it becomes more important to sign Jones without Sanu, but, even if we can't, I don't think that it will be that difficult to find a replacement.  

Get Jones signed ASAP.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 06:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm actually OK with him leaving.  Give me a pure slot WR in the draft and I think that part of the roster is upgraded.  I liked Sanu, but I just didn't think he was slot WR material.

Don't think for a moment that someone like Jay Gruden wouldn't like to pick him up, and use him for all of his versatility.  Remember, he did have a couple of TD passes, and a few nice wildcat runs, when Gruden was here.

Though I am a true believer that he's never going to be WR1 material, not with all of those drops when it counted most.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How will we ever find a #3 that will drop 40% of the balls going his way
Reply/Quote