Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scouting the 2018 NFL Combine
I am on board now with Edmunds and Smith with our pick at 12 if either make it that far. Both LB's are the bigger LB's our new DC wants, but surprisingly they can both run really well and fit what you need in today's NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 09:43 AM)Au165 Wrote: I am on board now with Edmunds and Smith with our pick at 12 if either make it that far. Both LB's are the bigger LB's our new DC wants, but surprisingly they can both run really well and fit what you need in today's NFL.

I wouldn't call Roquan Smith a "bigger" LB at all, but he did pack on about 8-10 lbs and is now at 236 lbs. That's more the "ideal" size now. Edmunds is an athletic freak who I don't think will be quite as productive as Roquan Smith out of the gate but could be if he can combine that athleticism and size with some increased instincts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 10:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't call Roquan Smith a "bigger" LB at all, but he did pack on about 8-10 lbs and is now at 236 lbs. That's more the "ideal" size now. Edmunds is an athletic freak who I don't think will be quite as productive as Roquan Smith out of the gate but could be if he can combine that athleticism and size with some increased instincts.

You're right I was thinking he was bigger for some reason. I really like both of them and if neither of them are there I could be sold with trading up into the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd for Rashaan Evans. I really like this LB group, even a guy like Vander Ersch would get me excited in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
Think OL or LB is the way to go at 12 and there will be a good one there I believe.

Unless every team needing a QB signs the in FA. Do not see that happening though.

Edmunds would be sweet

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 10:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I wouldn't call Roquan Smith a "bigger" LB at all, but he did pack on about 8-10 lbs and is now at 236 lbs. That's more the "ideal" size now. Edmunds is an athletic freak who I don't think will be quite as productive as Roquan Smith out of the gate but could be if he can combine that athleticism and size with some increased instincts.

I think Smith with be playing at about 242 at 6'1 which is good size for a linebacker.

I would be happy with either Smith or Edmunds at 12...and I wouldn't be upset if they took Leighton Vander Esch or Raashan Evans (depending on what he runs at his Pro day) at 12. This is a good year for off the ball Linebackers in the first round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 10:48 AM)Au165 Wrote: You're right I was thinking he was bigger for some reason. I really like both of them and if neither of them are there I could be sold with trading up into the bottom of the 1st or early 2nd for Rashaan Evans. I really like this LB group, even a guy like Vander Ersch would get me excited in the 2nd.

Were you thinking Vander Esch in regards to bigger LB? He's 6'4", 250+ lbs. Very similar size to Edmunds. And while he "only" had a 4.65 40 time, he had very good Combine numbers in 3-cone, shuttle, and vert.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I am starting to think smith or, more likely Edmunds is there at 12. Whether the bengals would take either one is anyone’s guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 12:37 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I am starting to think smith or, more likely Edmunds is there at 12.  Whether the bengals would take either one is anyone’s guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Raiders will grab one of the two. Probably Edmunds leaving us Smith and I would be happy with that.
Reply/Quote
Josh Jackson did not look good backpedaling. He was stopping when in transition during the W drill.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Seems to me that the combine anymore has become more of a beauty contest like the Miss America pageant than a true evaluation of football talent ..
I suppose it's nice to know how fast a left tackle can run 40 yards in a straight line, but let's be realistic. When was the last time we had to actually watch a 350 pound grown man who can lift cars above their heads run 40 yards anywhere ? 
I suspect the combine is more about marketing the league to fans than actually evaluating real football talent.. Then again ,whaddoiknow? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2018, 12:23 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I imagine Miller goes top 10 when it is all said and done.

(03-05-2018, 01:48 PM)grampahol Wrote: Seems to me that the combine anymore has become more of a beauty contest like the Miss America pageant than a true evaluation of football talent ..
I suppose it's nice to know how fast a left tackle can run 40 yards in a straight line, but let's be realistic. When was the last time we had to actually watch a 350 pound grown man who can lift cars above their heads run 40 yards anywhere ? 
I suspect the combine is more about marketing the league to fans than actually evaluating real football talent.. Then again ,whaddoiknow? 

It’s not the whole 40 that matters to the big uglies, it’s the 10 yard split. Although the 40 gets the most fan and media attention, the combine is extremely useful to teams to do interviews, get medical checked and to get true measurements.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 08:25 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Lorenzo Carter is intriguing.  At 6'6 250, he ran a 4.50, with a 36 vertical, and a 130 broad.  He is listed as an edge.

Malik Jefferson at 6'3 236, ran a 4.52, 27 bench, 36 vertical and 125 broad
These 2 are the  perfect looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.
(03-05-2018, 01:42 PM)Synric Wrote: Josh Jackson did not look good backpedaling. He was stopping when in transition during the W drill.
He's a pure zone cb. Insane talent. But yes didn't look great in drills 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:36 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He's a pure zone cb. Insane talent. But yes didn't look great in drills 

Pure Zone Corner?

Corners backpedal into a zone and break on the receiver/football which is what the W drill showcases. Jackson is a man corner that presses plays bump and run and  bail coverage.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:36 PM)Jpoore Wrote: These 2 are the  perfect looks like Tarzan plays like Jane.

(12-25-2017, 11:25 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I'd take Malik jefferson in the 2nd over Edmunds.

So if Malik Jefferson looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane why did you want him over Edmunds in the 2nd round?
Reply/Quote
Some apparent medical flags for Roquan Smith. That sucks
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 09:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So if Malik Jefferson looks like Tarzan, but plays like Jane why did you want him over Edmunds in the 2nd round?

Before I had watched more than 1 game of film. Went off of what ppl we're saying. And Jefferson is such a talented butt but has no football iq.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:52 PM)Synric Wrote: Pure Zone Corner?

Corners backpedal into a zone and break on the receiver/football which is what the W drill showcases. Jackson is a man corner that presses plays bump and run and  bail coverage.

He's terrible at a man coverage. Pure zone CB. If he goes to a man cover defense he will be a major bust.  He goes to a zone or a cover 3 defense he will have make success. Best Hands in the class by far. A pick machine. I know he looked average in the w drill, but he breaks on the ball in film as well as anybody. 
Reply/Quote
Here's some noted from each position group:

Offensive Line
1. Orlando Brown's combine was atrocious. I was never really huge on the player but MAN, I was not expecting a day this bad. I think his combine, along with concerns on tape, push his down to day 2. He may be better suited to move inside.

2. Desmond Harrison displayed some great athleticism and footwork during the drills. Great movement and showed some increased strength, which is needed for him. A boom-bust player who might need polished, but his field drills were very good.

3. Speaking of field drills, Alex Cappa also excelled in those. He had a VERY good Senior Bowl, and his work on the field is going to get someone to take a shot on him.

4. Kolton Miller is a guy I would like in the 2nd round. Miller did well in drills along with great times on the 10-yard split and 3 cone drill. Wouldn't surprise me if he goes earlier than Orlando Brown to be honest.

Running Backs
1. Saquon Barkley is a stud. One of the best days I've ever seen for a running back at the combine.

2. A little surprised by Sony Michel's 40 time. Thought he would do much better than what he posted. His game speed seems way quicker, gonna have to look back on tape.

3. Nick Chubb also had a very good combine. Thoroughly impressed with how well he tested and think he may have snuck his way into the 1st round.

4. Justin Jackson is a later round guy I'm really big on. His stats don't show how good he is due to the lack of talent around him and literally teams stacking the box with 8 or 9 defenders. He tested well for someone of his size and scouts are definitely going to have a second look at his tape.

Quarterbacks
1. Baker Mayfield did extremely well with interviews, and that's what every scout needed to know when it came to him. He did well in drills, but the interviews are where his question marks were.

2. Luke Falk has been a sleeper QB of mine, but wow he had an awful day. He was inaccurate and missed a ton of throws. I really liked his tape for a later round guy, but now I'm questioning that I might have had him too high.

3. Read that a GM said Mayfield's football IQ was off the charts, Rosen and Darnold were excellent, Rudolph was very good, and Allen had some work to do. However, while reading this it stated that Jackson was doing horrendous in interviews and such, meanwhile many other outlets have spoken the opposite. So not sure how factual this information is.

4. One NFL coach said no reason for Lamar Jackson to run the 40 until his pro day, stated he interviewed him, something special about him, and he's the type of guy you build your offense around.

Wide Receivers
1. I was surprised how Christian Kirk tested, as it wasn't all that great. Granted, he's better suited as a slot, Golden Tate like role. So the combine isn't really his best friend.

2. I was also disappointed in Calvin Ridley. Outside of his 40 time, he didn't show that much athleticism, especially when it came to showing lower body strength. Some team is going to have questions after this in deciding whether or not to draft him or Sutton.

3. DJ Moore was a nice surprise. Was a fan of him anyway, but he tested well in all areas. Moore certainly is going to garner attention from scouts after his day.

4. Equanimeous St. Brown had the best day when it came to wide receivers. He showed a ton of talent and did well in every field. If you haven't watched him, you should. His playing style is similar to that of AJ Green

Tight Ends
1. Mike Gesicki had arguably the best combine out of anyone. He was always a big, red zone threat. But people needed to see his athleticism, and man did they. Gesicki was held back by Franklin's play calling. He has the ability to be an explosive receiving tight end in the NFL.

2. While Gesicki got hype, Hayden Hurst also had a VERY good day. One of the best when it came to drills. There's a lot to like when it comes to his tape. If Eifert walks and Gesicki is gone, I want Hurst.

3. I also liked Jaylen Samuel's combine. He was up there in every facet and it's a little surprising to me that he isn't getting more hype. Definitely someone who could be a sleeper if some people don't wake up to him.

4. Troy Fumagalli's stock went down due to not doing anything besides weigh ins and bench (which he posted the lowest among all tight ends). He needs to have a strong Pro Day to climb back up.

Defensive Line
1. I feel bad for Maurice Hurst due to his medical issue. It's definitely going to cause him to slide despite having some REALLY good tape.

2. Da'Ron Payne tested extremely well for a nose tackle. Great drill work and teams say that he interviewed well. There's a lot to like with him.

3. Harold Landry did very well, and although I don't see the Bengals drafting him, Landry showed great athleticism and power through the drills for a defensive lineman.

4. Sam Hubbard moved his way up the boards. I believe he posted the fastest 3 cone drill among all defensive lineman, don't quote me on that. But he displayed great ethics and mechanics within drills. Was actually pretty surprised with how well he did in drills.

Linebackers
1. Shaquem Griffin had one of my favorite combines. He got hyped up, but also was extremely inspirational. Rooting for the guy.

2. Oren Burks is probably the most underrated linebacker in this draft. He did well when Cunningham was there, a year later and he did even better. He tested well in pretty much every area.

3. Leighton Vander Esch did very well in drills. Smooth and showed fluid hips. Really like this guy. Posted very good numbers as well. Stock is definitely up with him.

4. Disappointed with Jeff Holland. He wanted to do drills with the linebackers, but he just didn't seem to do very well. Pretty below average day for him.

Defensive Backs
1. Jaire Alexander is my personal favorite CB in this draft, and I think his play style is similar to Jason Verrett. He was near the top at almost every test and great during the drills. Someone's going to pull the trigger on him in the first round if he's healthy.

2. Godwin Igwebuike tested much better than I thought he was going to. View him as a mid-rounder but he did exceptionally well at the combine. Definitely going to garner some hype.

3. Troy Apke had the most surprising combine in my opinion. He blew up with all the tests and drills. Extremely fluid. And certainly raised some eyebrows. Scouts are definitely taking a second look at this guy.

4. Josh Jackson looked out of place in the drills. Really weird, as he has good tape. His work in the drills was alarming and didn't seem like him. Maybe he had a bad day, but people will take that into consideration come draft day.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Great analysis Wolf, read it all. Kolton Miller, Oren Burks and Hayden Hurst are definately higher on my list now.

Really like Da'Ron Payne as well but he is a little underweight to be a NT in the NFL at around 290.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 06:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great analysis Wolf, read it all. Kolton Miller, Oren Burks and Hayden Hurst are definately higher on my list now.

Really like Da'Ron Payne as well but he is a little underweight to be a NT in the NFL at around 290.

Didn't Da'Ron Payne weigh in at 6'2 311 during the combine?

Reply/Quote