Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrimmage Day
(08-21-2020, 05:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m seeing 80.4 for his 2011 rookie season.

Thanks, I think Burrow can do better than that...

But to be elite his rookie season is some really high expectations. Not putting it past him, just hesitant to expect that much.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 05:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks, I think Burrow can do better than that...

But to be elite his rookie season is some really high expectations. Not putting it past him, just hesitant to expect that much.

It’ll really depend on two things IMO. Stuff we all know lol
1. What receivers will he have at his disposal
2. Can the Oline hold up enough
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 02:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Pfft, that's nothing.  I was once so competitive that I accidentally ran directly into the arms of a rabid ape that had escaped from the local zoo.

Your local zoo keeps rabid apes around?  Classy place.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 05:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m seeing 80.4 for his 2011 rookie season.

Dalton did not put up elite numbers as a rookie, but he was incredibly clutch for a rookie second round pick.  He finished 4th in the league with 4 fourth quarter come from behind victories.

First one was against the Bills.  Andy ran for the game tying td with 4 minutes left.  Then drove the Bengal from their own 19 yard line with 1:48 left for the game winning FG on the last play of the game.

Trailing Jacksonville he converted a clutch 4th and 6 with less than 4 minutes left while driving for the game winning td with less than 2 minutes left.

I was at th game when he beat the 9-7 Titans on the road with 10 fourth quarter points.

Finally against the Browns he hit Green for 51 yards with 1:09 left to set up the game winning FG with just 38 seconds left.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton did not put up elite numbers as a rookie, but he was incredibly clutch for a rookie second round pick.  He finished 4th in the league with 4 fourth quarter come from behind victories.

First one was against the AFC West Division Champion Denver Broncos.

Against the Bills he ran for the game tying td with 4 minutes left.  Then drove the Bengal from their own 19 yard line with 1:48 left for the game winning FG on the last play of the game.

Trailing Jacksonville he converted a clutch 4th and 6 with less than 4 minutes left while driving for the game winning td with less than 2 minutes left.

Finally he beat the 9-7 Titans on the road with 10 fourth quarter points.

Andy didn't beat the Broncos until 2014.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 06:39 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Andy didn't beat the Broncos until 2014.

You are right.  Don't know how I came up with that.

The 4th come from behind 4th quarter win was against the Browns.  Dalton hit Green for 51 yards with 1:09 left to set up the game winning FG with 38 seconds left.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 12:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Burrow and Tate are killing it. 9-10 101yds 2tds, both to Tate.

This both excites me and concerns me...

The offense is lighting it up without Green or Ross.  That's good!

The defense is getting torched with WJIII and other starters playing.  That's bad.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:38 PM)pally Wrote: Joe is competitive.

I heard the Bengals immediately sent those gatorade cartons packing.  Don't hurt the merchandise.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 03:46 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The new Modern NFL elite talents start producing instantly Look at Kyler, Luck, Wentz, Wilson, Dak, we will have a elite QB right from the jump.

What do every one of those QBs have in common?  (maybe not Luck, but he is a good athlete)?  They are mobile.  We haven't had a truly mobile QB since Blake.  It will be a huge upgrade. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 06:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This both excites me and concerns me...

The defense is getting torched with WJIII and other starters playing.  That's bad.  

It is hard to make any judgements based on a controlled scrimmage.  Coaches script both the offensive and defensive plays to get a look at exactly what they want to see.  This scrimmage could have been all about judging specific aspects of the offense without any blitzing, stunts,  or complex cover schemes.

Or the offense could have just been that much better than the defense.  We have no way of knowing.
Reply/Quote

Hard to take much from the scrimmages honestly. All I know is the Defense was playing really well against Burrow the 
other day and we all know how competitive Burrow is, I am sure he took it personally and like we saw against Clemson
and Bama, he can light up very good Defenses. Doesn't matter how good the coverage is sometimes.

(08-21-2020, 06:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What do every one of those QBs have in common?  (maybe not Luck, but he is a good athlete)?  They are mobile.  We haven't had a truly mobile QB since Blake.  It will be a huge upgrade. 

Very true and the way Burrow can throw under pressure and manipulate a pocket is so rare.

Honestly cannot say I am not very excited. Especially that he is doing this with the backup WR's besides Boyd.

He might have to work with these guys a lot more than we would like with the way AJ and Ross are always dinged up.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 01:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Is Boyd out there for the scrimmage? If not, I’m not surprised Tate is having a good showing. He might be the only viable option out there right now for Joe lol

(08-21-2020, 01:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I know Green and Ross are out.  And Boyd was out yesterday.

I hate to be the downer, but no Green, no Ross and only one drive from Boyd.... I worry this defense is going to get torched alot this year.

Love Tate, but if your #1 corner can't shut down the 4th or 5th option on the depth chart....yikes.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

I posted before I saw your reply and I'm right there with you. If Tate is getting open on the #1 WR's, what happens when we face the #1's from other teams... it may get ugly.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I hate to be the downer, but no Green, no Ross and only one drive from Boyd.... I worry this defense is going to get torched alot this year.

Love Tate, but if your #1 corner can't shut down the 4th or 5th option on the depth chart....yikes.

(08-21-2020, 07:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I posted before I saw your reply and I'm right there with you. If Tate is getting open on the #1 WR's, what happens when we face the #1's from other teams... it may get ugly.

Clemson sucks too then...
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Clemson sucks too then...

???

Comparing college to Pros? And Burrow had all this weapons against Clemson.

Look I get it, around here if you doubt the lord and savior Burrow it is a mortal sin, but just look at this telling stat...

Sept. 6, 1998: He passes for 302 yards, one TD and three INTs in his pro debut, a 24-15 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

That is the stat line of Peyton Manning, who there is no debate how good he was coming out of college. His first pro experience, was rough. Hence, my fear about the defense.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:45 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: ???

Comparing college to Pros? And Burrow had all this weapons against Clemson.

Look I get it, around here if you doubt the lord and savior Burrow it is a mortal sin, but just look at this telling stat...

Sept. 6, 1998: He passes for 302 yards, one TD and three INTs in his pro debut, a 24-15 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

That is the stat line of Peyton Manning, who there is no debate how good he was coming out of college. His first pro experience, was rough. Hence, my fear about the defense.

Completely understand, difference is we have not seen these passes from Burrow. They could of been like last year when he
was playing the top Defenses in the SEC and lighting them up. We just don't know. His accuracy at times makes it impossible 
to cover even with perfect coverage. Our Defense was playing him really well the other day and getting INTS off of him.

So either Burrow took that personally and really studied up on our D and was throwing dimes today or our Defense just plain
sucks and Burrow just has it easy out there...

Cannot take much from these controlled scrimmages Murdock. We cannot even see the plays.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I posted before I saw your reply and I'm right there with you. If Tate is getting open on the #1 WR's, what happens when we face the #1's from other teams... it may get ugly.

Are we certain the top of the depth chart was even out there? I heard many of the veterans wouldn’t be included. Hell, it coulda been Phillips getting worked. Not sure of the details out there.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely understand, difference is we have not seen these passes from Burrow. They could of been like last year when he
was playing the top Defenses in the SEC and lighting them up. We just don't know. His accuracy at times makes it impossible 
to cover even with perfect coverage. Our Defense was playing him really well the other day and getting INTS off of him.

So either Burrow took that personally and really studied up on our D and was throwing dimes today or our Defense just plain
sucks and Burrow just has it easy out there...

Cannot take much from these controlled scrimmages Murdock. We cannot even see the plays.

I understand not taking too much.. like I said, it just makes me nervous. Spent alot of money to overhaul the D and the rookie comes in with his 5th option and puts up a hell of a stat line.

I want Burrow to succeed, and I want the Bengals to win... but 30 plus years of this team have left me in that state of waiting for it to just fall apart.. I know terrible but these guys always seem to let us all down.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Are we certain the top of the depth chart was even out there? I heard many of the veterans wouldn’t be included. Hell, it coulda been Phillips getting worked. Not sure of the details out there.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/08/21/joe-burrow-and-cincinnati-bengals-offense-won-fridays-scrimmage/3410784001/

William Jackson III was out there according to this, and Taylor said he looked good and made nice plays on the ball???

How does he do that when Burrow was nearly perfect?

I did like to see that Mason Schreck caught himself a pass from Finley.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:57 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I understand not taking too much.. like I said, it just makes me nervous. Spent alot of money to overhaul the D and the rookie comes in with his 5th option and puts up a hell of a stat line.

I want Burrow to succeed, and I want the Bengals to win... but 30 plus years of this team have left me in that state of waiting for it to just fall apart.. I know terrible but these guys always seem to let us all down.

Again, completely understand.

I just find this year to be different after that FA haul man. I am not giving up on the Defense just like I didn't give up on Burrow
when he was getting picked off by Dunlap last week. It is a battle out there, I am sure the Defense will step it up. Reader, Bell, 
Alexander, Bynes I have heard have all been playing well. We will see with WJ3 and if he was playing Man or not.

When WJ3 doesn't play Man he sucks, but then again, Burrow could be throwing dimes.
Reply/Quote