Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrimmage Day
(08-21-2020, 08:00 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/08/21/joe-burrow-and-cincinnati-bengals-offense-won-fridays-scrimmage/3410784001/

William Jackson III was out there according to this, and Taylor said he looked good and made nice plays on the ball???

How does he do that when Burrow was nearly perfect?

I did like to see that Mason Schreck caught himself a pass from Finley.

WJ3 will truly be the ‘forgotten man’ if he doesn’t pick his game up. Anyways, he might’ve only gotten beat once, it was just the highlight of the day, idk. Probably best to not read too much into the scrimmage but unfortunately that’s all we got this year! Haha
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 08:31 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: WJ3 will truly be the ‘forgotten man’ if he doesn’t pick his game up. Anyways, he might’ve only gotten beat once, it was just the highlight of the day, idk. Probably best to not read too much into the scrimmage but unfortunately that’s all we got this year! Haha

Let's not forget that the team drafted Joe Burrow #1 overall, for a reason, and that Auden Tate is a very large receiver with incredible body control.  Those two made an incredible play, and from what I've read, WJ III played it textbook.  Aside from doing Tate dirty, what else could Jackson have done?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never said they were all bad.  I was just pointing out that they were not all immediately elite as rookies.

I was just pointing out how you "missed" all the rookie top 10s that had a good rating. 

You didn't say it, but you damn sure tried to show it
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I saw the play. The ball was about 3 feet over Jacksons head.
Reply/Quote
Just listened to the Bengals Booth podcast and wanted to share what Lapham said about the defense. He said Atkins didn’t play at all and Reader, Daniels played only on the first drive. Added that the rookie LB’s Wilson and ADG got most of the snaps there. So, for everybody worried about the defense being easy to score on, that was not what should be on the field game 1.
Reply/Quote
ADG has some serious quickness.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 05:42 PM)McC Wrote: Your local zoo keeps rabid apes around?  Classy place.

Actually, the rabid ape had just escaped from your momma's house.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 12:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Actually, the rabid ape had just escaped from your momma's house.

Burn
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Heard Jonah had a couple pancake blocks yesterday. Love it.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is hard to make any judgements based on a controlled scrimmage.  Coaches script both the offensive and defensive plays to get a look at exactly what they want to see.  This scrimmage could have been all about judging specific aspects of the offense without any blitzing, stunts,  or complex cover schemes.

Or the offense could have just been that much better than the defense.  We have no way of knowing.

I know our backup WR (Tate) apparently wrestled a catch away from WJIII for a TD. Just saying WJIII is being counted on heavily this year and was hoping for a bit more from him.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hard to take much from the scrimmages honestly. All I know is the Defense was playing really well against Burrow the 
other day and we all know how competitive Burrow is, I am sure he took it personally and like we saw against Clemson
and Bama, he can light up very good Defenses. Doesn't matter how good the coverage is sometimes.

Very true and the way Burrow can throw under pressure and manipulate a pocket is so rare.

Honestly cannot say I am not very excited. Especially that he is doing this with the backup WR's besides Boyd.

He might have to work with these guys a lot more than we would like with the way AJ and Ross are always dinged up.

Excellent point, and with Ross and Green both looking for contracts, they better hope they can be healthy or maybe Burrow can win with Tate, Boyd, and Higgins.  Looks more like a basketball team!  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 09:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know our backup WR (Tate) apparently wrestled a catch away from WJIII for a TD. Just saying WJIII is being counted on heavily this year and was hoping for a bit more from him.  

Auden Tate will (more than likely) wrestle the ball away from any DB in the NFL every time. 6'5" 227lbs doesn't care about depth chart, right? No DB should take the ball from Tate. Like, WJ3 makes that play against any normal sized WR. Tate is freakishly huge with long arms and is great at catching that stuff.

I remember an interview immediately after the 2018 draft where Duke Tobin was asked who his favorite pick was or to give his sleeper pick. Like, one that he was most looking forward to, stole, etc.... And he immediately said Auden Tate. He went on to talk about his catching ability/hands, catch radius, body control, work ethic, etc. and seemed genuinely excited to have gotten him that late.

Silver lining here, to me, is that WJ3 was in position to make the play on nearly any WR and that Tate/Burrow made the perfect throw & catch. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 09:05 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Heard Jonah had a couple pancake blocks yesterday. Love it.

So far, the VERY early returns on Williams have been very good.  Think of what a dramatic improvement that is compared to last year.  

The offense should be competitive this season right out of the gate.  Can the defense "gel" quickly?  So far, Reader, Bynes, and Bell look to be very solid additions.  If the pass rush can be what we have seemingly thought it could be for many seasons, I think the defense could be very solid as well.

The improvements at the LB level could have a huge impact on the pass rush.  It was far too easy for opposing QBs to check down to a TE or RB as whichever one was being "covered" by the LBs was usually an easy completion.  No longer.... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 09:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know our backup WR (Tate) apparently wrestled a catch away from WJIII for a TD. Just saying WJIII is being counted on heavily this year and was hoping for a bit more from him.  

I don't know about the play with WJIII, but if Tate is making catches this high, I'm not sure there's a corner in the league that can go up and tip it..[Image: kxashjasrzfp6r74gse5.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 09:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Excellent point, and with Ross and Green both looking for contracts, they better hope they can be healthy or maybe Burrow can win with Tate, Boyd, and Higgins.  Looks more like a basketball team!  

And don't forget the speedy Thomas or Stanley Morgan. Throw in Erickson and this is still a stacked group.

(08-22-2020, 10:02 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Auden Tate will (more than likely) wrestle the ball away from any DB in the NFL every time. 6'5" 227lbs doesn't care about depth chart, right? No DB should take the ball from Tate. Like, WJ3 makes that play against any normal sized WR. Tate is freakishly huge with long arms and is great at catching that stuff.

I remember an interview immediately after the 2018 draft where Duke Tobin was asked who his favorite pick was or to give his sleeper pick. Like, one that he was most looking forward to, stole, etc.... And he immediately said Auden Tate. He went on to talk about his catching ability/hands, catch radius, body control, work ethic, etc. and seemed genuinely excited to have gotten him that late.

Silver lining here, to me, is that WJ3 was in position to make the play on nearly any WR and that Tate/Burrow made the perfect throw & catch. 

Auden has received a lot of hype on here but he is starting to deserve it. Good for him.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 10:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: So far, the VERY early returns on Williams have been very good.  Think of what a dramatic improvement that is compared to last year.  

The offense should be competitive this season right out of the gate.   ThumbsUp

Like getting another first round pick to go along with Burrow to protect his blindside and the best O-line prospect in that Draft.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 12:04 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Actually, the rabid ape had just escaped from your momma's house.

Well, which is it--your crappy zoo or my deceased mother's house?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 04:18 PM)McC Wrote: Well, which is it--your crappy zoo or my deceased mother's house?

You are way too uptight to have an electric guitar as your avatar thingy. 
Reply/Quote
Calling it now.. Burrow crushed the Rating, TD, Completion, and yardage rookie records... He is a million times better than Bake head...
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 06:34 PM)Tony Wrote: Calling it now.. Burrow crushed the Rating, TD, Completion, and yardage rookie records... He is a million times better than Bake head...

We’ll see, hopefully they have a full season so he will have a chance.
Reply/Quote