Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrimmage Day
Remember..our defense was horrendous last year. There isnt a word for how bad it was.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 05:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You are way too uptight to have an electric guitar as your avatar thingy. 

Right.  Your utter lack of respect is my fault.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 11:25 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I saw the play.  The ball was about 3 feet over Jacksons head.

This.  I think we underestimate the weapon Tate is.  I saw one picture of Tate going up for a pass (don't know if was the win over WJ3 or not).   Dude is 6-5 and 230.  His feet were over 3 feet on the air and his hands were almost 4 feet over the DB's hands.  How does anyone but the most physical DB defend that.   The only way is to knock Tate off the end point of his route.

I'm not ready to declare this offence for real or the defense a bust.  I'm really excited for both.  I can't wait for the Chargers!! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2020, 07:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I posted before I saw your reply and I'm right there with you. If Tate is getting open on the #1 WR's, what happens when we face the #1's from other teams... it may get ugly.

He was going catching TDs against guys named Tony Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 11:09 AM)McC Wrote: Right.  Your utter lack of respect is my fault.

It was a straight-up "yo momma" joke.  You know, as I typed it I actually though "Am I making this dumb enough for this guy to not get his panties in a bunch?" and go figure I was wrong.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 02:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It was a straight-up "yo momma" joke.  You know, as I typed it I actually though "Am I making this dumb enough for this guy to not get his panties in a bunch?" and go figure I was wrong.

Yeah.  Go figure.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 01:43 PM)Mobster Wrote: He was going catching TDs against guys named Tony Brown

Isn't that pic of Bates?

And he was making a badass catch on WJ3.

I don't think there is a DB that could defend either one.

We will see, but the guy is looking good regardless, real good. 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Isn't that pic of Bates?

Tate proved last year he can go against starting DB's...... 
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 03:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Tate proved last year he can go against starting DB's...... 

Yes he did, I guess some people forget this.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 11:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know about the play with WJIII, but if Tate is making catches this high, I'm not sure there's a corner in the league that can go up and tip it..[Image: kxashjasrzfp6r74gse5.jpg]

Told ya.  God damn thing was put only where Tate could catch it.  Morons bitching
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 10:47 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: Remember..our defense was horrendous last year. There isnt a word for how bad it was.

Uh...  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2020, 11:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't know about the play with WJIII, but if Tate is making catches this high, I'm not sure there's a corner in the league that can go up and tip it..[Image: kxashjasrzfp6r74gse5.jpg]

Well, yeah, if the DB doesn't get his head around and play the ball like he's supposed to or even elevate, Tate will  be unstoppable.  This is as much bad defense as it is a good throw and catch.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2020, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Isn't that pic of Bates?

It's Sims.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dan_hoard/status/1297548368974172160/photo/1?ref_url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.cincyjungle.com%2f2020%2f8%2f23%2f21398121%2fbengals-twitter-training-camp-2020-cincinnati-news-joe-burrow
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 09:23 AM)Whatever Wrote: Well, yeah, if the DB doesn't get his head around and play the ball like he's supposed to or even elevate, Tate will  be unstoppable.  This is as much bad defense as it is a good throw and catch.

It's hard to tell from the picture if the DB was in phase or out of phase, especially without the context of down and distance. If he was out of phase you are not supposed to turn in look for the ball but instead play through the hands of the receiver. If you are in phase then you can turn and look for the ball. I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt he was out of phase, which isn't a good thing but happens often, and was doing the proper thing tryign to dislodge the ball.

Also, as a side note here, Sims is 6'0 and he wasn't getting up to get that ball even if he was turned around. That is one of those catches that if thrown right there you can't do anything about it.
Reply/Quote
For everyone concerned about the defense getting torched on Friday, this is from The Athletic...

Remember that Joe Burrow 6-of-6 touchdown drive that we wrote about after Friday’s scrimmage? Well, this is how the rookie quarterback’s first four drop-backs went Sunday in the team’s return to the field:

Overthrow. Sack (Sam Hubbard). Sack (D.J. Reader). Coverage sack.

And it didn’t stop there as the defensive line spent most of the practice in the offensive backfield, disrupting or outright erasing what head coach Zac Taylor and offensive coordinator Brian Callahan intended for Burrow to do.

“I think overall we had a really good day today,” defensive line coach Nick Eason said. “These guys are being very coachable and doing the things we’re asking them to do and slowly progressing to where we can be a dominant force.”

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 09:29 AM)Whatever Wrote: It's Sims.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dan_hoard/status/1297548368974172160/photo/1?ref_url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.cincyjungle.com%2f2020%2f8%2f23%2f21398121%2fbengals-twitter-training-camp-2020-cincinnati-news-joe-burrow

Okay, thanks.

(08-24-2020, 10:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's hard to tell from the picture if the DB was in phase or out of phase, especially without the context of down and distance. If he was out of phase you are not supposed to turn in look for the ball but instead play through the hands of the receiver. If you are in phase then you can turn and look for the ball. I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt he was out of phase, which isn't a good thing but happens often, and was doing the proper thing tryign to dislodge the ball.

Also, as a side note here, Sims is 6'0 and he wasn't getting up to get that ball even if he was turned around. That is one of those catches that if thrown right there you can't do anything about it.

True, what is crazy about that catch is Tate is coming down in that pic, I saw the other one where he was at the peak of his 
jump. This dude has hops and hands and with that size this is rare talent.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 01:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For everyone concerned about the defense getting torched on Friday, this is from The Athletic...

Remember that Joe Burrow 6-of-6 touchdown drive that we wrote about after Friday’s scrimmage? Well, this is how the rookie quarterback’s first four drop-backs went Sunday in the team’s return to the field:

Overthrow. Sack (Sam Hubbard). Sack (D.J. Reader). Coverage sack.

And it didn’t stop there as the defensive line spent most of the practice in the offensive backfield, disrupting or outright erasing what head coach Zac Taylor and offensive coordinator Brian Callahan intended for Burrow to do.

“I think overall we had a really good day today,” defensive line coach Nick Eason said. “These guys are being very coachable and doing the things we’re asking them to do and slowly progressing to where we can be a dominant force.”

Yeah, it is going to be brutal this year for opposing team's QB's if all our guys can stay healthy.

As Hubbard said, just need to stop the run to get teams into passing situations and go after them.
Reply/Quote
This is also encouraging on Sample...

The offensive linemen, tight ends and running backs did one-on-one blocking drills against the defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs, and Sample was a big winner. Sample won his battles against Carlos Dunlap, Sam Hubbard and Carl Lawson, the latter two of which came in a span of just two reps. Sample also roasted Dunlap in the one-on-one receiving drill.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 01:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is also encouraging on Sample...

The offensive linemen, tight ends and running backs did one-on-one blocking drills against the defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs, and Sample was a big winner. Sample won his battles against Carlos Dunlap, Sam Hubbard and Carl Lawson, the latter two of which came in a span of just two reps. Sample also roasted Dunlap in the one-on-one receiving drill.

Wow! Shocked

Heard Dunlap has been looking better than ever this year too.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2020, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow! Shocked

Heard Dunlap has been looking better than ever this year too.

Yeah, Eason has been raving about Dunlap’s camp. He’s apparently been an absolute force most days.

Reply/Quote