Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season is already over
I want to see football as much as anyone but its not gonna happen.

Marlins already have a major outbreak in baseball and it has already effected 3 teams. It's not just the infections on one team. Its the team they were playing.

Now one team goes down and it screws the entire schedule.

Football will be even worse. I'm just saying, prepare yourself to be disappointed
Is there a point to this, or are you just trying to crap on everyone's day?
Yea, I think this is likely.

Unfortunate, but likely.
I agree with Richard... (which is rare)

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/49ers-richard-sherman-nfl-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak
Yeah unless they develop a highly efficient vaccine over the next few weeks, there’s no way in hell there’s a football season this year
This was the only way to derail Joes magic mojo he had coming into the season. The football gods had to create a global pandemic just to keep the Bengals down. Typical!
Yes its very sad that we are all being effected by this nationwide health crisis. Its effecting more people in southern and western states now. If the sports leagues all have to forfeit this season so be it. Lots of jobs will be cut off, and more people will be effected financially. We all have to take this issue one day at a time. Life will go on with or without sports.
I don't think the season will start on time but it will happen. Quick question what happens if a Vaccine is ready by October or November( I know highly unlikely) does the NFL reconsider the opt out!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
(07-28-2020, 10:43 AM)J24 Wrote: I don't think the season will start on time but it will happen. Quick question what happens if a Vaccine is ready by October or November( I know highly unlikely) does the NFL reconsider the opt out!

I doubt most NFL players would qualify for the early rounds of distribution of a vaccine. The optics alone would be crushing. In most cases, the NFL is bulletproof, but skipping to the head of the line for a vaccine would probably be a disaster.

In terms of the thread, I think my stance earlier (about being bulletproof) is why the NFL will play some version of a season this year. We have seen in the past with concussions that, while player safety can be trotted out as a strongly held belief, it really is not going to stand in the way of money for the NFL. Generally, the fan base is cool with pretending like player safety matters but they don't want it to impact the sport too much or their team. It would take a massive surge, and government intervention, at this point to stop an NFL season in my mind. 
I can't see any way it proceeds without being significantly delayed, and without sweeping changes made.

The only way I can even see it being a possibility is if: 1.) They delay the season 2.) The cases numbers start to decrease. 3.) They scrap traditional scheduling in favor of "bubbles" and/or "hub cities".

There is 0% chance they can just open up camp and in 6 weeks they'll continue into a normal 16 game season, with all 32 stadiums in use.
Not to sound negative but I always thought that this would be the case. There’s a big difference between what people want and what is realistic. I only thought that the NBA and the NHL had a chance because there in bubble cities , have small rosters and there seasons were almost at the playoffs. It’s almost impossible for football to play in bubble cities , fields are much harder to construct/ maintain, football personnel is huge and they would have to be there for 6 months. Also even if they played I feel like every win would be questioned if you play against teams who’s best players are out because of Covid, beat the Ravens without Lamar Jackson or beat the chiefs without Maholmes ect. Plus one team gets it and everything else is on hold. Having no football sucks trust me , was really looking forward to seeing Burrow.
The English Premier League just finished its 2019-20 season with zero problems.

Why cannot the NFL and MLB do the same.

The virus is just as prevalent in Great Britain as in the US.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-28-2020, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Is there a point to this, or are you just trying to crap on everyone's day?

The OPs point seems pretty clear to me.

You may like hearing it but he's got a point and if hearing the truth bothers you that much I'd recommend staying off line.
(07-28-2020, 12:00 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The English Premier League just finished its 2019-20 season with zero problems.

The biggest issue is that the rules and responsibilities are being handled at a state by state level in the U.S. . With an organization that spans so many states the biggest threat in my mind is some sates shutting down again and how the teams would or could potentially pivot off that. 
(07-28-2020, 12:00 PM)bengals67 Wrote: The English Premier League just finished its 2019-20 season with zero problems.

1.) The Premier League returned in late June.  They were able to finish the season in about 1 month's time.

2.) The Premier has only 20 teams. (The NFL has 32)

3.) Their roster size is 25 players. (The NFL's is 55 active + 10 practice squad)

4.) The NFL's coaching and training staff's dwarf those of the Premier League.

5.) England has 55k square miles to travel. The US has 3.79 million miles to travel.

They are just two completely different animals. By using rough math I think you can come to a reasonable estimate that the NFL is 5 times the size of the Premier League in number of personnel. 

When you couple this with the travel, and the fact that so many of our cities have significantly different population densities, you really are attempting something completely different.

I'll be anxious to see what happens with the Premeir League when they start back in the fall.  Will they be able to meet their new opening date?  I have a feeling they just powered through the tail end of their season just because it was so close to it's conclusion.
I think they need to get serious about dramatically changing what this season will look like to have a bubble/hub city concept if they want to have a season at all.

Here's the business argument: Having some unique version of a season might even draw more eyes. You may get fewer games to televise but at least you'll make *some* revenue this year, and with nothing else on and everyone staying home, they'll break viewership records.

Alternatively you have breakouts, canceled games, maybe even a player or players who die from COVID19. That is both tragic and incredibly damaging to your brand.

But hey what do I know?

All the hand wringing..... they will play a 2020 season.
(07-28-2020, 02:57 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: I want to see football as much as anyone but its not gonna happen.

Marlins already have a major outbreak in baseball and it has already effected 3 teams.  It's not just the infections on one team.  Its the team they were playing.  

Now one team goes down and it screws the entire schedule.

Football will be even worse.   I'm just saying,  prepare yourself to be disappointed

I think they'll play, there's just too much money at stake.

I believe testing will occur daily, or every other day, so the chances to control an outbreak are pretty decent.

There might be some changes to the schedule but I do think they will try to get the season in.  

Guess we'll see....
(07-28-2020, 01:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All the hand wringing..... they will play a 2020 season.

I want there to be a season, but you're acting like factual information that goes against our desire for everything to be fine is a bunch of panic-driven hot air.

That isn't really true.

At the moment, the number of cases per 1 million people in America is 13,447. The number of cases per 1 million people in the UK is 4,428. So there's definitely a big gap in terms of the prolificity of the virus in the UK vs the US. America is between the 7th and the 10th most infected country in the entire world, depending on if you include smaller nations that have skewed numbers due to their limited population (French Guiana, San Marino and Vatican City having only 300,000, 34,000 and 800 people, respectively).

People are dying at a faster rate in the UK though, which is an odd circumstance.

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/