Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season is already over
(08-01-2020, 03:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Because everyone that covers, watches or discusses football that isn't on this board ranks Lawrence as a better prospect. 

What was it this board keep repeating on a loop..
When you have the chance to take a franchise changing QB, you do it. News flash, Lawrence is more franchise changing.

Also, Burrow beat Clemson's defense... Never played against Lawrence. 

Dumbest thing I ever hear... saying Brady beat Manning or etc etc... the QBs never play each other they can only play the game against the Defense 

Dumbest thing you ever heard? Lol. QB’s are compared against each other all the time. It’s still a measurement of who came up bigger in the most important game. And Clemson had the better defense btw. So the fact that Burrow completely destroyed them is all the more impressive. Lawrence looked like shit most of the game.

But while we’re on dumb things, taking another QB #1 overall 2 years in a row would certainly qualify. You would never get the true worth of that pick by trading one of them after losing the “QB battle” or whatever. Either trade the actual pick, or use it on a potentially generational type talent OT in Sewell. If both him and Jonah worked out we’d have our bookends for the next decade +.

Much better than selling for pennies on the dollar like Arizona had to do with Rosen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

If we were to get the #1 pick again (highly doubtful), the move would be trade it.

You could get a King's Ransom for that pick. And I don't care what some say, Lawrence or Fields will go number #1. No one is taking Sewell there with those two prospect coming out.
(08-01-2020, 03:34 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If we were to get the #1 pick again (highly doubtful), the move would be trade it.

You could get a King's Ransom for that pick. And I don't care what some say, Lawrence or Fields will go number #1. No one is taking Sewell there with those two prospect coming out.

You know who the last team to take an OT at #1 was? I’ll give you hint, they just won the Super Bowl...

But if the offers were too good to refuse that’s obviously what you do. Still, Sewell would be very tempting.

(08-01-2020, 03:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You know who the last team to take an OT at #1 was? I’ll give you hint, they just won the Super Bowl...

My argument isn't opposing the idea that taking an OT #1 is unheard of, or unwise.  My argument is that will never happen with this draft class.

The year the Chiefs took Fischer was, maybe, the worst draft class for QB's ever.  EJ Mannuel was the first QB off the board, and he went #16.  And he was absolutely terrible.  The next QB off the board, Geno Smith, lasted all the way until #39.  He was also terrible.  After that, Mike Glennon at #73, Matt Barkley at #98.  The whole lot of them were/are bums.

Barring an absolutely disaster of a season, which probably isn't even possible because they won't play, you'll see a QB desperate team pounce on one of those two QB's.  And it's 99% going to be Lawrence.

If we had that pick it would be idiotic to sit on it to take a LT.  We just drafted a LT in the top 10.  You don't, at #1 or #10, draft a guy to move him to RT.

The smart play would be to move the pick. Someone would pony up an absolute shit ton for the ability to take Lawrence.

Really, this all moot anyway.  The chances of us having the #1 pick again are very, very slim.
(08-01-2020, 03:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: My argument isn't opposing the idea that taking an OT #1 is unheard of, or unwise.  My argument is that will never happen with this draft class.

The year the Chiefs took Fischer was, maybe, the worst draft class for QB's ever.  EJ Mannuel was the first QB off the board, and he went #16.  And he was absolutely terrible.  The next QB off the board, Geno Smith, lasted all the way until #39.  He was also terrible.  After that, Mike Glennon at #73, Matt Barkley at #98.  The whole lot of them were/are bums.

Barring an absolutely disaster of a season, which probably isn't even possible because they won't play, you'll see a QB desperate team pounce on one of those two QB's.  And it's 99% going to be Lawrence.

If we had that pick it would be idiotic to sit on it to take a LT.  We just drafted a LT in the top 10.  You don't, at #1 or #10, draft a guy to move him to RT.

The smart play would be to move the pick. Someone would pony up an absolute shit ton for the ability to take Lawrence.

Really, this all moot anyway.  The chances of us having the #1 pick again are very, very slim.

“Idiotic” is a bit much. Sewell isn’t a normal OT prospect. This wouldn’t even be a question if he was.

We just went through this with the trade the pick crowd this year. Most of us wanted nothing to do with leaving it up to the Bengals to get all those extra picks right. If you have a chance at franchise changing player I say you have to at least seriously consider it.

All depends on the offers though. What would be a realistic deal in your opinion?

Also, we drafted Andre Smith #6 to play RT.

(08-01-2020, 03:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: All depends on the offers though. What would be a realistic deal in your opinion?

Despends on where you trade down to.  But I don't think some of the offers we reportedly got from Miami this year would be out of the question to get again.  Especially with a prospect like Lawrence.

We could probably land a minimum of two 1st's and a 2nd.
(08-01-2020, 01:55 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Seriously?  You actually think the whole thing is a hoax?  

No. I think there is a virus and that unfortunately has made people sick/die as most viruses do. I don't believe it's what the media is making it out to be. TB killed 1.5 million people world wide in 2018.It's an airborne disease. Why aren't we wearing masks to prevent TB infections? 

WHO 2018 article:

A total of 1.5 million people died from TB in 2018 (including 251 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is one of the top 10 causes of death and the leading cause from a single infectious agent (above HIV/AIDS). In 2018, an estimated 10 million people fell ill with tuberculosis(TB) worldwide.

According to the CDC in regards to tuberculosis ;

Airborne. Spread from person to person through the air.

1.5 mill worldwide deaths and
Up to 13 million: estimated number of people in the United States living with latent TB infection

Again...
Why aren't we wearing masks for TB?

It doesn't fit they're agenda.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

(08-01-2020, 03:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also, we drafted Andre Smith #6 to play RT.

How'd that work out?
(08-01-2020, 11:04 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The most popular news network in the coutry is NOT "media"?

Thanks for showing who is REALLY being manipulated by the media they consume.  

"Repeat after me.  FoxNews is not media.  There is no pandemic.  It is not real. Always put quotations around the word."

Since I cut my cable 2 years ago and even then didn't watch Fox News will you please educate me on what makes real media? Ninja
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

(08-01-2020, 04:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How'd that work out?

He was pretty good for awhile, and I don’t think it was a bad pick.

(08-01-2020, 04:05 PM)Mer Wrote: No. I think there is a virus and that unfortunately has made people sick/die as most viruses do. I don't believe it's what the media is making it out to be. TB killed 1.5 million people world wide in 2018.It's an airborne disease. Why aren't we wearing masks to prevent TB infections? 

WHO 2018 article:

A total of 1.5 million people died from TB in 2018 (including 251 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is one of the top 10 causes of death and the leading cause from a single infectious agent (above HIV/AIDS). In 2018, an estimated 10 million people fell ill with tuberculosis(TB) worldwide.

Up to 13 million: estimated number of people in the United States living with latent TB infection

Again...

It just appears you are downplaying the seriousness of Covid.  Nevermind.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
(08-01-2020, 04:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How'd that work out?

Quite well; the position was solidified for 5+ seasons, where we made the playoffs 6/7 times.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(08-01-2020, 04:46 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Quite well; the position was solidified for 5+ seasons, where we made the playoffs 6/7 times.

He didn't even move into a starters role until year 3.  He only played a full season in 2 out of 13 seasons.

IMHO, he had ONE good year (Top tier RT) , with a couple above average years.  The rest of time he was either injured or he just plain sucked.

I won't go so far as to say he was a complete bust, but he never lived up to his draft position.
(08-01-2020, 03:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dumbest thing you ever heard? Lol. QB’s are compared against each other all the time. It’s still a measurement of who came up bigger in the most important game. And Clemson had the better defense btw. So the fact that Burrow completely destroyed them is all the more impressive. Lawrence looked like shit most of the game.

But while we’re on dumb things, taking another QB #1 overall 2 years in a row would certainly qualify. You would never get the true worth of that pick by trading one of them after losing the “QB battle” or whatever. Either trade the actual pick, or use it on a potentially generational type talent OT in Sewell. If both him and Jonah worked out we’d have our bookends for the next decade +.

Much better than selling for pennies on the dollar like Arizona had to do with Rosen.

I know they compare QBs all the time in head to head and I said it is the dumbest thing they do... they don't play each other... like when they did Manning versus Brady.

As to the pick and the debate... once again everyone who covers football rates Lawrence higher even after the National Championship it was stated if Lawrence was eligible he'd still be the number one pick.

I think both are good QBs but I view one in the Joe Flacco mold, he can have that one magical season that makes everyone ask is he elite and win a championship but then he'll have a bunch of just average type seasons. Remember, his first year in LSU was pedestrian at best, truly elite QBs raise the talent level around them even with a bad system...he didn't do that. Was graded a 4th rounder and compared to Dalton and Carr. 

So in AFC North terms...that would be Flacco, yes I think Burrow will probably win a ring here, but it will be a one time magical kinda season and then a lot of almosts.

Lawrence on the flip side reminds me more of the Ben mold in the AFC North. Plays down at times to bad opponents, but on the final drives he makes the plays you need to win the games and every year is in the playoffs and in the hunt for a title. When Burrow was at LSU his first year, Lawrence was winning a title. Burrow has the best season he could ever possibly have, and meets...Lawrence in the title game. If college football happens this year...guess who will probably be in the title game 3rd time in a row...yup Lawrence. 

So do you want one title and a lot of questions or a decade of deep playoff runs and a couple of rings??

I'll take the decade of wins and frustrating ugly wins at times, but constantly being there in the title discussion versus the one year run and then a lot of what we had with Dalton. Get there and go home.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(08-01-2020, 04:54 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: He didn't even move into a starters role until year 3.  He only played a full season in 2 out of 13 seasons.

IMHO, he had ONE good year (Top tier RT) , with a couple above average years.  The rest of time he was either injured or he just plain sucked.

I won't go so far as to say he was a complete bust, but he never lived up to his draft position.

He was a typical Bengals first round pick.... hurt or under-performs....

At #6 you want an All-Pro lock that spot down kinda player, Smith was a sold yet not spectacular player. 

Fun fact... he opted out of the season due to Covid.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(08-01-2020, 05:32 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I know they compare QBs all the time in head to head and I said it is the dumbest thing they do... they don't play each other... like when they did Manning versus Brady.

As to the pick and the debate... once again everyone who covers football rates Lawrence higher even after the National Championship it was stated if Lawrence was eligible he'd still be the number one pick.

I think both are good QBs but I view one in the Joe Flacco mold, he can have that one magical season that makes everyone ask is he elite and win a championship but then he'll have a bunch of just average type seasons. Remember, his first year in LSU was pedestrian at best, truly elite QBs raise the talent level around them even with a bad system...he didn't do that. Was graded a 4th rounder and compared to Dalton and Carr. 

So in AFC North terms...that would be Flacco, yes I think Burrow will probably win a ring here, but it will be a one time magical kinda season and then a lot of almosts.

Lawrence on the flip side reminds me more of the Ben mold in the AFC North. Plays down at times to bad opponents, but on the final drives he makes the plays you need to win the games and every year is in the playoffs and in the hunt for a title. When Burrow was at LSU his first year, Lawrence was winning a title. Burrow has the best season he could ever possibly have, and meets...Lawrence in the title game. If college football happens this year...guess who will probably be in the title game 3rd time in a row...yup Lawrence. 

So do you want one title and a lot of questions or a decade of deep playoff runs and a couple of rings??

I'll take the decade of wins and frustrating ugly wins at times, but constantly being there in the title discussion versus the one year run and then a lot of what we had with Dalton. Get there and go home.

Funny you compare Burrow to Flacco...Lawrence and Flacco are actually the exact same height. Both physically gifted freaks, with big arms, etc, but that doesn’t always guarantee much at the next level. We’ve seen a bunch of these really big QB’s flame out over the years.

I see Burrow more of a Tom Brady type QB. Not the most talented, but has ice in his veins, and will outwork everyone else. Which is why he made such a huge jump from 2018 to 2019. He worked at it.

(08-01-2020, 04:05 PM)Mer Wrote: No. I think there is a virus and that unfortunately has made people sick/die as most viruses do. I don't believe it's what the media is making it out to be. TB killed 1.5 million people world wide in 2018.It's an airborne disease. Why aren't we wearing masks to prevent TB infections? 

WHO 2018 article:

Again...

You're very much correct in noting that TB is a major health issue globally.  And it is transmitted via airborne droplets.

The big difference in terms of response is the rate of transmission.  SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) has a much higher transmission rate than the bacterium that causes TB.  TB is only active is 5%-10% of the people infected and usually takes 1 to 2 years to produce symptoms (although it can be much longer than that).  Consequently, while TB is a pervasive issue for humanity, particularly in countries with high levels of poverty and lower levels of access to medical care, it doesn't have the potential to "crash" health systems the way COVID-19 can, even in countries with robust medical infrastructure.  When the system is "crashed," the case fatality rate for everything goes up dramatically, as we saw earlier this year in Italy, Spain and NYC.

It really isn't about agenda; TB only causes 9,000 to 10,000 deaths per year in the US.  It's about keeping keeping our health system in a position where that remains the case.

EDIT:  Sorry to go PnR there - I don't have enough posts to be allowed to chime in there, so I couldn't resist.  On topic, just given the issues that MLB is having, once teams start travelling (even if they're able to get through "pre-season"), I suspect this is going to go pear-shaped as well.
(07-31-2020, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link to us shutting down the country because of the NFL games.

Or at least a link to the "backlash from the fear mongers".  The NBA and MLB are both playing and I honestly have not heard a lot of people saying they should shut down.  If there is then it is a very small minority.

Are you sure you guys aren't just making up some straw men to knock down?

Plenty of backlash and you are always calling for links when it is all over your face biting you on the nose lol

WHO 2018 article:

Again...

Nice post.

(08-01-2020, 04:38 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: It just appears you are downplaying the seriousness of Covid.  Nevermind.

I don't think he means to Tiger Teeth. It just has affected you way more. Sucks is all we know. 

It is not a hoax as Mer here said. It just seems politically led and we need to ask why we treated other sicknesses and viruses
different. We shouldn't downplay when other people die from another illness, don't you agree?

You are one of my favorite people on this board, so don't be offended by my post Tiger Teeth.