Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Season is already over
(08-04-2020, 12:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: If you have an underlying condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, that same underlying condition will likely cause complications if you contract COVID.  It's not smart to be out in public places in that case, anyways.

My mom's currently fighting leukemia.  She has all her groceries and prescriptions delivered to her house.  The only time she leaves the house is to go to the doctor or to just take a drive to get out of the house.  There's not a lot of reasons why you need to leave the house anymore besides work(which is going to require you to wear a mask), going to the doctor, or maybe renewing your driver's license.

I hope your mom makes a speedy recovery.
(08-04-2020, 03:15 PM)Mer Wrote: I'm not trying to defend anything. I'm just asking questions. The truth is we don't really know if any of these procedures truly work. 

Just like my wife can't prove she didn't get herpes from a toilet seat and not my licentious wiener.  MWA HA HA!!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-04-2020, 04:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Just like my wife can't prove she didn't get herpes from a toilet seat and not my licentious wiener.  MWA HA HA!!!

[Image: 450px-Monkey_Puppet.jpg]
(08-04-2020, 12:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: If you have an underlying condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, that same underlying condition will likely cause complications if you contract COVID.  It's not smart to be out in public places in that case, anyways.

While that's true, many people with underlying conditions, simply are not willing to spend the rest of their lives hiding in the house. Right now I can wear a mask, one day I probably won't be able to. Doesn't mean I'm going to become a hermit and never leave the house.
(08-04-2020, 04:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: While that's true, many people with underlying conditions, simply are not willing to spend the rest of their lives hiding in the house. Right now I can wear a mask, one day I probably won't be able to. Doesn't mean I'm going to become a hermit and never leave the house.

Hiding?  Hermit?  How wholly hyperbolic! 
(08-04-2020, 04:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hiding?  Hermit?  How wholly hyperbolic! 

If you never leave your house because you are afraid on contracting a virus, what would you call it?
(08-04-2020, 04:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If you never leave your house because you are afraid on contracting a virus, what would you call it?

When I find someone who NEVER leaves his/her house I'll have to come up with a name for it.  How many people do you know who haven't left their houses in the past 4 months?
(08-04-2020, 02:05 PM)Mer Wrote: How is it any safer to have groceries delivered to you from someone that just walked around the same store you're trying to avoid? You don't know where any of these people have been before they show up at your door step even if it's through Amazon or another online store. 

BTW, I'm sorry to hear your mom has leukemia.

The more people you come into contact with the greater your chance to come into contact with someone who is infected and becoming infected yourself.

That's just common sense.

(08-04-2020, 02:59 PM)Mer Wrote: If you can only catch it from someone person to person then what's the purpose of disinfecting credit card readers and counter tops? If the virus can linger there it can linger on what ever is left at your door.

It's spread through respiratory droplets.  When someone coughs, sneezes, or even talks small droplets of virus containing mucous are expelled into the air.  Most droplets fall out of the air within 6 feet. So most people who get infected do so by inhaling the droplets. The virus is viable on surfaces for short periods of time.  So if someone sneezes on a card reader or coughs into their hand without washing it before using the card reader they can transfer droplets to the reader.  If someone uses the reader right afterwards then touches their nose, mouth, or eyes they can infect themselves. Disinfecting surfaces helps reduce that spread.

This is basic germ theory and principles of antisepsis that a biological MD/science teacher should already understand.

(08-04-2020, 03:15 PM)Mer Wrote: I'm not trying to defend anything. I'm just asking questions. The truth is we don't really know if any of these procedures truly work.

Antiseptics have been proven since the days of Joseph Lister in the 19th century. Go to any hospital if you have questions.

Your constant spamming of Covid 19 related misinformation should get you banned.  
(08-04-2020, 04:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: When I find someone who NEVER leaves his/her house I'll have to come up with a name for it.  How many people do you know who haven't left their houses in the past 4 months?

I was simply responding to the statement that it is not smart for anyone with a pre-existing condition to go out in public. The opposite of that is staying home. But you knew that...
(08-04-2020, 05:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I was simply responding to the statement that it is not smart for anyone with a pre-existing condition to go out in public. The opposite of that is staying home. But you knew that...

Well if being "scared" and "a hermit" keeps you alive maybe you shouldn't shame them for being a scared hermit.  Who wants to die because they went to wal mart?  Oof.
(08-04-2020, 05:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I was simply responding to the statement that it is not smart for anyone with a pre-existing condition to go out in public. The opposite of that is staying home. But you knew that...

Do hermits go on car rides, go for walks, go hiking, go to the park, go fishing, take their dog out, hang out on their patio/deck, etc.?

We're only a little over 4 months into this.  You act as if this is some lifelong sacrifice.  And if more people were to follow very simple recommendations/requests then perhaps we could open more and ease restrictions.

I really don't understand your need to push back in every single thread, seemingly at every post, with your over-dramatic, contrary stance.  We all get it by now, your point has been made. 
(08-04-2020, 06:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Do hermits go on car rides, go for walks, go hiking, go to the park, go fishing, take their dog out, hang out on their patio/deck, etc.?

We're only a little over 4 months into this.  You act as if this is some lifelong sacrifice.  And if more people were to follow very simple recommendations/requests then perhaps we could open more and ease restrictions.

I really don't understand your need to push back in every single thread, seemingly at every post, with your over-dramatic, contrary stance.  We all get it by now, your point has been made. 

There's a balancing act between public health, the economy, individual rights, etc.  The tipping point is different for every body.  But, the more we work together to keep each other safe the better we will get through this and hopefully even enjoy some football this fall.

Look at what happened to Whitworth's family.  It only took one person to get infected for it to spread to the whole family.  And the Miami Marlins.  A group of players go out on the town and then it affects the whole team.

But, leadership starts at the top.  We're kinda lacking that right now.
(08-04-2020, 04:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: When I find someone who NEVER leaves his/her house I'll have to come up with a name for it.  How many people do you know who haven't left their houses in the past 4 months?

Waldens Pond II: Hermit 2 Furious.

A story with a modern twist on Thoreau's classic.  Our new protagonist lives a life a solitude in modern day America.  For 6 LONG months he's forced to live like a hermit. 

His only contact with the outside world is when he goes to the park, and sees passerbys from a distance of 6 feet or more. Or when goes through the Mcdonalds drive-thru, or when he gazes upon others in their cocoons of prisons known as automobiles.  Or when he waves at his neighbors while on a leisurely walk.

Besides these contactless interactions, he's left to his own devices.  Those devices are literal.  Computer, TV, Smart Phone, Xbox, Alexa. He only has a near unlimited catalog of music at the touch of a finger, he only has Netflix, Hulu, and Basic Cable to pass the time.  He only has pretty much all of recorded human history just a google search away.

Did he choose this life of solitude?  No, it was thrust upon him.  Month after month, he's faced with the reality that he is alone.  When will it end?  6 months?  8 months?  A YEAR?!???

This is the story of one man whose life was turn upside down, and how his perception of the world around him is shaped and reshaped living during Covid-19.
(08-04-2020, 05:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well if being "scared" and "a hermit" keeps you alive maybe you shouldn't shame them for being a scared hermit.  Who wants to die because they went to wal mart?  Oof.

I die inside every time I'm in a Walmart.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-04-2020, 06:28 PM)jason Wrote: I die inside every time I'm in a Walmart.

Personally, I like the 10:1 cash register to cashier ratio I find at Walmart.
(08-04-2020, 06:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Do hermits go on car rides, go for walks, go hiking, go to the park, go fishing, take their dog out, hang out on their patio/deck, etc.?

I realize it's hard for you to keep up, but the conversation was about mask shaming people, and the statement was made that if you can't wear a mask for medical reasons, it is best just to stay home. Some people don't want to just stay home, and they shouldn't be shamed for it. 
Can we have a thread that doesn't derail into a full blown coronavirus discussion? It's usually the same discussion, just different thread title.

(08-04-2020, 07:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Can we have a thread that doesn't derail into a full blown coronavirus discussion? It's usually the same discussion, just different thread title.

Lemme check....

Nope. It appears we can't.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-04-2020, 07:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Can we have a thread that doesn't derail into a full blown coronavirus discussion? It's usually the same discussion, just different thread title.

It’s like it’s contagious or something.

This thread is about the season already being over. Why would the season already be over? Covid. Kinda difficult to discuss the season already being over without talking about why the season is already over.
(08-04-2020, 07:59 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: It’s like it’s contagious or something.

This thread is about the season already being over. Why would the season already be over? Covid. Kinda difficult to discuss the season already being over without talking about why the season is already over.

Funny and true. But the season isn't over so no need to go full blown corona. OP started as football conversation (yes he mentioned corona), but these rails have a lot of, oh, what do people in the railroad call it? Curvy tracks that end up nowhere near the destination? LOL 

Anyway, let's get it back on track. Football isn't over - yet. Shoot, that's almost end of thread right there.