Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle and the minimum wage increase
(07-27-2015, 01:01 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: You should have been receiving tips from the servers as a busboy and bartender each shift, that's standard in the business. That is what I meant by "tipped out"

You tip well and I'm glad to hear it.  And you're smart to cultivate relationships with places you frequent and it's staff.

Yeah I have 4 places I rotate. They have helped me save deals in the past.... Having a great night out makes a huge difference.

Now on the flip side bad service is also reflected in the tip. I must be honest about that
(07-27-2015, 12:57 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I have been a server, a pizza delivery boy, and a bartender.  All at the same place...if I had the time, I'd deliver pizzas or bartend again just to hang out with my old friends there and make some extra cash.  Too bad I work at a job that requires me to go out of town with very little notice sometimes, or I'd do it.

I can tell you've done the job before.  It can be fun, it can also be a real pain in the ass.
(07-27-2015, 01:07 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah I have 4 places I rotate.   They have helped me save deals in the past....   Having a great night out makes a huge difference.  

Now on the flip side bad service is also reflected in the tip.   I must be honest about that

I have no doubt that it does for you.
(07-27-2015, 12:19 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I'm curious as to has actually served tables in any restaurant?  I didn't think a whole new thread was needed, because I'm more curious who has in this thread.  And what type of restaurant if so?

I never waited tables.

I worked at McDonald's for a full year and then a a few summers while in college.  And I was a full time dish washer at at hotel for a summer.  And worked at a car wash that my dad ran full time after that for a few months until I got into radio full time.

The car wash job was the only one with tips.

Years later I went through and the tip jar was overflowing.  We were lucky to split $10-$20.  Those guys were taking at least that much home each.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-26-2015, 11:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Some of the local places will add the gratuity automatically if there are a certain number or above guests at one table.  Usually it's 10-15% and unless you know that you'd end up adding ANOTHER 15% on top of that.  We always make sure its close to 20% even if we have to add to what they already charged.

At another place I meet some college friends from time to time and none of us drink alcohol but we might be at the table and shooting pool for 3-4 hours.  So we over tip since the waitress could be making more on other patrons than the guys getting the free re-fills on their sodas!  Smirk Its not uncommon for someone to get 100% tip after we've pooled out money together.  But again the bill might only come to $40-$50 originally.
A lot of people don't get this.  And you're tipping policy in this situation is something a former server would do.  And also which prompted my question. 
(07-27-2015, 09:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: I never waited tables.

I worked at McDonald's for a full year and then a a few summers while in college.  And I was a full time dish washer at at hotel for a summer.  And worked at a car wash that my dad ran full time after that for a few months until I got into radio full time.

The car wash job was the only one with tips.

Years later I went through and the tip jar was overflowing.  We were lucky to split $10-$20.  Those guys were taking at least that much home each.

Interesting still surprised you never waited tables.
(07-27-2015, 11:54 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: A lot of people don't get this.  And you're tipping policy in this situation is something a former server would do.  And also which prompted my question. 

Interesting still surprised you never waited tables.

Nope.  Just know what its like to really struggle.  I suppose its my own personal "trickle down".  Smirk

A few years back when we were making some good money where I work I left a larger than required (or usual) tip for the girl who works at a place my family frequents quite a bit.  It was around Christmas and I could afford the extra at the time.  Next time I went in the owner stopped me and still had the tip and said I must have left it by mistake!  Tongue  I explained what I did and she apologized and gave it to the server.

Folks just don't expect people to be nice I guess!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-27-2015, 01:14 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I have no doubt that it does for you.

Well the the servers who put in the extra effort should be rewarded more than the ones who are just going through the motions.

It's just being good at your job. There are great servers/bartenders out there.... And there are those who just go through the motions and have no desire to be great at their craft.
(07-27-2015, 02:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well the the servers who put in the extra effort should be rewarded more than the ones who are just going through the motions.  

It's just being good at your job.   There are great servers/bartenders out there.... And there are those who just go through the motions and have no desire to be great at their craft.

I don't really disagree with any of that.