Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle and the minimum wage increase
(07-22-2015, 01:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You have to apply for jobs.  So why are these people you know not getting anyone to apply for their jobs?

I am not saying it is impossible.  I am just saying I fond it hard to believe when so many people are looking for jobs.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm just telling you what they told me. And it's not like it was in a group where they all were agreeing. It was individually. They told me cause they were trying to get me to get those I see on a day-to-day basis to apply for these jobs.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(07-22-2015, 01:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you were making more on unemployment than you could at a minimum wage job, would you apply for one?

No, no I wouldn't...but can't that be seen as an argument to make minimum wage more of a livable situation as much as it is to cut government benefits?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-22-2015, 01:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everything I said in the first paragraph is 100% true.  The US economy is producing hundreds of billions in profits, but it is all being funneled to the top while people working full time struggle to get by.

No, it's not true.  And your last sentence is not true. I know many people who work full time who aren't struggling. Heck, I'm barely middle class and I wouldn't say that I'm struggling to get by.
(07-22-2015, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I 100% agree that it would be your fault.  But people like me would be the ones paying for it.

Only if I received government assistance. Which I never have, though I am planning on taking social security when I retire, soooooooooooooo have a preemptive thanks.  ThumbsUp
(07-22-2015, 01:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No, no I wouldn't...but can't that be seen as an argument to make minimum wage more of a livable situation as much as it is to cut government benefits?

Totally different discussion. Just trying to help Fred understand why there can be unemployed folk and job openings in the same location.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-22-2015, 01:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Raising minimum wage or raising it too high is not the solution, IMO.

Actually I agree, but before I go any further what do you think the solution is?
(07-22-2015, 01:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Only if I received government assistance. Which I never have, though I am planning on taking social security when I retire, soooooooooooooo have a preemptive thanks.  ThumbsUp

But again, you admit that you don't have any savings.  you have at least three children.  So how are you going to support them and yourself if your luck runs out?

Plus, didn't you live with your parents when you were out of work?  Not everyone has that choice.
(07-22-2015, 01:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No, it's not true.  And your last sentence is not true. I know many people who work full time who aren't struggling. Heck, I'm barely middle class and I wouldn't say that I'm struggling to get by.

Change "people" to "some people" and it is 100% correct.

As I said before, the claim that if everyone just worked harder no one would make minimum wage is completely false.  No matter how hard everyone works there are still not going to be enough well paying jobs for everyone to have one.  And it isn't fair that some people work full time and struggle to get by when the US economy is producing hundreds of billions of dollars in profit that are all going to the people at the very top of the income scale.
(07-22-2015, 07:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I agree, but before I go any further what do you think the solution is?

Slowing the inflow of aliens would be a good start.  Once the jobs/people ratio settles back to favorable for the worker, wages will increase.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-22-2015, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Slowing the inflow of aliens would be a good start.  Once the jobs/people ratio settles back to favorable for the worker, wages will increase.

Decreasing the population decreases the demand for goods and services which decreases the number of jobs.
I saw on the news that Bernie is calling for $15. That's a great way to turn off a majority of American voters.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-22-2015, 07:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Slowing the inflow of aliens would be a good start.  Once the jobs/people ratio settles back to favorable for the worker, wages will increase.

Illegal aliens certainly drive down wages.  They aren't going anywhere so I guess you have to go after the businesses that hire them.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-23-2015, 11:26 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Illegal aliens certainly drive down wages.  They aren't going anywhere so I guess you have to go after the businesses that hire them.  

It's a shame this has become a "novel idea" once again.  Oy.  I have to admit if my employer wanted me to stop showing up all they would have to do is stop paying me.
(07-23-2015, 12:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's a shame this has become a "novel idea" once again.  Oy.  I have to admit if my employer wanted me to stop showing up all they would have to do is stop paying me.

Quitter.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-23-2015, 11:20 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I saw on the news that Bernie is calling for $15. That's a great way to turn off a majority of American voters.

At least he is consistent in his beliefs.

I am surprised to not hear more Mincome talk from him.
Nately120 Wrote:No, no I wouldn't...but can't that be seen as an argument to make minimum wage more of a livable situation as much as it is to cut government benefits?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/seattle-sees-fallout-from-15-minimum-wage-as-other-cities-follow-suit/

Quote:Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Hahaha. Ofc they are .... It's all about the subsidies.
(07-23-2015, 10:39 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Hahaha. Ofc they are ....    It's all about the subsidies.

Yep, I have to admit I know people who have learned so many loopholes and intricacies to working the system that it's clear they have genuine skills that should lead to real employment.  So it goes.
(07-23-2015, 10:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/seattle-sees-fallout-from-15-minimum-wage-as-other-cities-follow-suit/

Seattle’s $15 minimum wage law is supposed to lift workers out of poverty and move them off public assistance. But there may be a hitch in the plan.

Evidence is surfacing that some workers are asking their bosses for fewer hours as their wages rise – in a bid to keep overall income down so they don’t lose public subsidies for things like food, child care and rent.

Doesn't matter if the wealth is spread out among more workers.  It is still helping lower income workers.

Plus I noticed the story says "These claims are difficult to prove."

Sounds like just more right-wing propaganda.  Same with the price-gouging taking place that is blamed on the increase in minimum wage.  Labor costs is generally way less than half the costs of running a business, and not all workers are being paid minimum wage.  MOst managers are being paid well over twice minimum wage.  So the minimum wage workrs only account for a posrtionof the labor costs.  And finally a raise from $7.50 to $11 is only about a 40% increase.  So businesses raising cost 15% to cover the increase are just making an excuse to increase their profit margin.
(07-24-2015, 11:19 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep, I have to admit I know people who have learned so many loopholes and intricacies to working the system that it's clear they have genuine skills that should lead to real employment.  So it goes.

I would love to harness the power of those guys. Problem is once you cross that line of criminal behavior it's hard to break for honest money. But your right.... There are some very talented people out there with no formal education. That got into crime over easy money. But would have been great in sales.