Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sewell or trade with QB needy teams?
(11-27-2020, 12:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: If I had to lay money on a guy in this draft to be a perennial Pro Bowler, it would be Chase.  He was a little better than Jefferson was last year, and we all see what he's doing as a rookie.  I think he's the safest pick.  At the same time, great OT's are a lot harder to find than great WR's nowadays.  However, they also tend to be very high bust risks.

As rookies, Chase is going to be a much bigger upgrade over Tate than Sewell is over Hart, in all likelihood.  On the other side of the coin, Hart is an UFA after next year and getting a premium prospect like Sewell for a year to groom to replace him is very attractive.  

Both are great prospects in position groups that need upgrades.  I would be extremely happy with either.  If we don't pony up to fix the OL in FA, though, I think we have to go Sewell.  If we get a couple of top shelf upgrades, like Thuney, I lean more towards Chase.  

Not to mention, Hart can be cut with 0 cap hit next year (or was it a hit of like 1 million? Can't remember).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 03:32 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not to mention, Hart can be cut with 0 cap hit next year (or was it a hit of like 1 million? Can't remember).

It's $1 mil, so a $5.9 mil savings if cut or traded.

I would honestly keep him at least through TC as injury insurance, if nothing else.  You could also potentially move him before the deadline if someone is desperate for T help.  Giving Sewell a year at G to get acclimated to the NFL wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, either.  He's got the strength and mean streak for it.
Reply/Quote
I think RT is just as valuable as LT these days. I'm also a huge advocate of going BPA and if the Lawrence goes #1, then Sewell will be the BPA.

I think this line has great depth right now with Adneji, Hart, Johnson, Spain, Price etc. What we need are front line guys.

As for Chase, I'm not as big on him as others. I don't think he's WR1 in this draft.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 05:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think RT is just as valuable as LT these days. I'm also a huge advocate of going BPA and if the Lawrence goes #1, then Sewell will be the BPA.

I think this line has great depth right now with Adneji, Hart, Johnson, Spain, Price etc. What we need are front line guys.

As for Chase, I'm not as big on him as others. I don't think he's WR1 in this draft.

Who is in your opinion, Waddle?

Reply/Quote
Sounds like people either love Sewell but would be okay with Chase or love Chase and would be okay with Sewell.

I'm firmly in the Sewell camp, if for no other reason than finding quality OTs in the modern NFL is much more difficult than finding quality WRs. If Sewell is just good, then it's still a win, and if he's the second coming of Munoz as some have suggested, then we are suddenly credible up front.

I don't have a strong belief that the team is going to shell out 14 mil for a Thuney or someone of his quality in FA. They might get some guys, but not particularly elite ones. Sewell is the only cost-effective opportunity they have to add a potentially elite protector for Burrow.

Burrow has shown that he can throw guys open. He looks like the type of quarterback that can win without and elite weapon at receiver, so long as he. has 3 or 4 competent/good ones. One thing he can't do is protect himself from getting drilled like he did this year. This team can not let him follow in the footsteps of Andrew Luck. Get the guys up front now and don't think twice.

Yes, we need better defenders. Yes, more receiving options would be nice. Neither of those even matter if you can't keep the most important player on the team healthy and comfortable enough to do his job. We're learning that the hard way right now, so hopefully we won't have to down the road again.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 06:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: I would agree with option #2, but the offensive side of the ball has to be the priority.  IDGAF if we give up 30+ a game next year as long as they fix the OL and give Burrow the weapons he needs.  Drop the money in FA on proven OL, trade down if you're in a position for someone to come up for a QB, and use the draft to replace departing defensive talent and get Burrow some more talent around him.

The biggest blunder they made this year was giving Burrow next to no help and dumping huge bank on the defense to try and save Anarumo's job.  

Throw a ton of money at Scherff or Thuney and draft Sewell. 

Sewell--Spain--Hopkins--Scherff/Thuney--Williams

That line will kick ass and it allows you to use the rest of the draft on whatever the hell you want and be happy with it. 

If Joe is protected, the offense can hum and the defense is needy but not as needy if Joe isn't protected. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 10:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Throw a ton of money at Scherff or Thuney and draft Sewell. 

That line will kick ass and it allows you to use the rest of the draft on whatever the hell you want and be happy with it. 

If Joe is protected, the offense can hum and the defense is needy but not as needy if Joe isn't protected. 

If Joe is consistently given a little more time, the defense really just has to keep the other team under 30 on most days.  I wouldn't mind them going defense heavy in FA again if they plan to go crazy on OL on draft day.  Hopefully we'll be looking at a new DC who might want to bring in a few guys, anyway.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 08:34 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The team would get butchered if they would have passed on a generational QB talent, so why would we give them a free pass if they passed on a generational OT prospect?

This shouldn't be that hard.  Draft Sewell, sign a free agent OG and roll with Sewell/Spain/Hopkins/FA/Williams.

Hoooooley shit you're smart!! Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 10:34 PM)samhain Wrote: If Joe is consistently given a little more time, the defense really just has to keep the other team under 30 on most days.  I wouldn't mind them going defense heavy in FA again if they plan to go crazy on OL on draft day.  Hopefully we'll be looking at a new DC who might want to bring in a few guys, anyway.

I'm kind of the opposite. Throw most of your money at the two FA guards, hope you get one and then pick a few of your current guys to re-sign. 

Reader and Waynes are under contract for at least a couple more years. Give Geno next year to see if he still has it, re-sign Lawson (as one of the guys i alluded to earlier) and then decide on Alexander or WJIII. Let Bynes walk (thanks for the effort and leadership) and give Wilson and ADG more snaps to go along with Pratt. Keep BWilson and let Sims walk. 

That's just top of the list stuff for the D, with some other decisions to be made lower in the roster and the D is set. 

Throw wads and wads of cash in hopes of getting one of the FA guards, draft Sewell and you have a fantastic offensive line. Skill players are all back, so you just have to decide what you're going to do with Green. Ross can walk. 

Then just hope the injury bug takes a ***** vacation from Cincinnati next year. 

P.S. I typed the word "hope" three times in this post. Anyone that knows my posting history knows that's three more times than i'd like to type it.  Mellow

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 10:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Throw a ton of money at Scherff or Thuney and draft Sewell. 

I honestly feel like we need 2 high quality OL upgrades before the draft.  100% on board with Thuney.  Get him on a plane here and don't let him leave as soon as the tampering window starts.  Another guy I've kicked around is GB C Corey Lindsey.  C is usually your best FA value.  Trey is very average and could slide to either G spot or be a great backup.  I would also look hard at Saints RT Ryan Ramcyk.  The Saints are $90 million over the cap next year and he may a cap cut or available for trade.

Where I don't want to be is a situation where we are relying on Sewell to fix the OL.  There's no guarantee he makes it to us or that we don't get an offer we can't refuse for our pick.  Rookie OL also tend to struggle.  Even if we make 2 big adds on the OL, I have zero issues with taking Sewell, but I don't want to be in a position where we both need to draft him and need him to beat the averages and play at a high level next year.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2020, 08:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who is in your opinion, Waddle?

I thought so before his injury but I'm also on the side that you can get a good WR in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  It seems like some of the best are coming from those rounds.

If I had to pick a guy, I'd go with the best guy in round 2 and roll with Sewell in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2020, 12:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Are you kidding?  He was a transformative, dominant player?  That is like saying the Bengals shouldn't have taken AJ Green.  Say what you will now, but Green was a stud for many years. 

Not as good as Julio Jones, who they could have had.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 01:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not as good as Julio Jones, who they could have had.

AJ to the Falcons

Julio to the Bengals

Who has the better career? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hold up, just for the sake of discussion, which is what this is all about anyways. Are we really assured the 3rd pick? It’s football, with awful quarterback play we were actually in that giants game, that being said I think we finish third, but here’s my real point, it’s football, are we assured that Jacksonville doesn’t pass us, sorry it’s late and I’m moving slow, but are we effectively a game and a half behind them because of our tie? If so, then yea, odds are very very high that we draft third.

Long winded I know

But assuming we draft third a trade back is kind of off the table, great class but someone would be trading up for one of the top two.

Now that thats established we take the best available, and I hope the bengals aren’t bengal enough to take anyone other than the OT

But these are the Bengals we’re talking about, they took Peter Warwick and John Ross and Akili Smith. They are unpredictable.

Long story short, the story predicts we land 3rd and take Sewell, but don’t act like this is a slam dunk, we are an unpredictable team with an owner and “gm” that have M affinity for our incumbent tackle.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 02:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: AJ to the Falcons

Julio to the Bengals

Still Julio unless AJ’s injuries were somehow related to playing here.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 07:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Still Julio unless AJ’s injuries were somehow related to playing here.

Well at least 2 of them were.

He ran into a pile of rocks on the side of our "practice facility" once

He hurt himself practicing on a shitty field in Dayton another time.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 02:07 AM)bfine32 Wrote: AJ to the Falcons

Julio to the Bengals

Probably AJ...   Mellow

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 11:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Well at least 2 of them were.

He ran into a pile of rocks on the side of our "practice facility" once

He hurt himself practicing on a shitty field in Dayton another time.

Don’t remember the first one, but fair enough on the Dayton field. And I do think AJ would have done very well with Matt Ryan.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 12:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t remember the first one, but fair enough on the Dayton field. And I do think AJ would have done very well with Matt Ryan.

They showed the rock incident on Hard Knocks.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 12:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They showed the rock incident on Hard Knocks.

It's why I put Practice Facility in quotes. It would be more accurately described as a substandard field under a bridge. 

Reply/Quote