Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Trenton Irwin Stick?
(11-21-2022, 01:05 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Why you say that?

Because at the end of the day he is who he is. An undrafted guy in his age 27 season who has been on the Bengals for 4 years and has 122 career receiving yards.

Just because he's better than Mike Thomas doesn't mean he's good. They should still try to get non-PS caliber players who have potential and upside as their 4th and 5th WRs. Dane Sanzenbacher had 2 games of 40 yards in 2014. It didn't change the fact that at the end of the day he was Dane Sanzenbacher.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
As the 4th WR, yes.

1. Chase
2. Higgins
3. Boyd
4. Irwin
5. Taylor (slot only)
6. Morgan/Thomas (pick 1 for ST, not two).
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because at the end of the day he is who he is. An undrafted guy in his age 27 season who has been on the Bengals for 4 years and has 122 career receiving yards.

Just because he's better than Mike Thomas doesn't mean he's good. They should still try to get non-PS caliber players who have potential and upside as their 4th and 5th WRs. Dane Sanzenbacher had 2 games of 40 yards in 2014. It didn't change the fact that at the end of the day he was Dane Sanzenbacher.

This could very well be one of the worst posts in the history of JN.

Do better Leonard.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:07 AM)TheFan Wrote:  
The fact that Thomas has been on the team for the entire year is a black eye on Taylor and no one can convince me otherwise. He provides literally nothing and has done nothing his entire career. The only reason he's had a job for the last 3 years is ZT. 

Tell us you don't realize the game has three phases without saying you don't realize the game has three phases. 
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 10:58 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I like the move the coaching staff made to get Taylor and Irwin involved while Chase is out.I think they both should still be involved in the Offense when Chase returns.

Yep, with Chase being out, the Bengals become a "Dual Trent" team.
Reply/Quote
I've been a fan of Irwin. Quiet guy, goes above and beyond what he's asked and can take a hit better than anyone. He has a team first attitude and just a great player.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 10:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I've been a fan of Irwin. Quiet guy, goes above and beyond what he's asked and can take a hit better than anyone. He has a team first attitude and just a great player.

Yep, I'd love to see him move up the WR depth chart. Thomas basically offers nothing to the offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 09:05 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, with Chase being out, the Bengals become a "Dual Trent" team.

Battles are won in the Trent-ches.  Mellow

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because at the end of the day he is who he is. An undrafted guy in his age 27 season who has been on the Bengals for 4 years and has 122 career receiving yards.

I don't think anybody is trying to say he's Jerry Rice 2.0 But why not have him as #4 instead of a guy (Thomas) who offers basically nothing to our O?
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 10:47 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Yeah, that was slick.

It was actually around a 21-22 yard catch. Caught it at their own 45, spun around back at the 44 and made it down to the Steelers 34. Huge catch to get them in immediate FG range.
Reply/Quote
One thing is for sure...it seems like Joe Burrow loves him.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Irwin has worked hard and has always shined in preseason. He's always shined when given the shot in real games. He's earned a shot and as stated does have Burrows support and trust.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 09:04 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Tell us you don't realize the game has three phases without saying you don't realize the game has three phases. 

What does Mike Thomas do that's so great, oh wise one?  Please tell me you thought him and Michael Thomas were the same player so I can laugh and point at you.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 10:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: One thing is for sure...it seems like Joe Burrow loves him.

BA likes him too; he was a favoured target in the past few preseasons as well, which I think is a testament about him being in the right place at the right time and displaying good hands.

BTW, not disagreeing with people on Thomas, but if the tipped pass isn't tipped, IF he catches it (lol), I think it would've gone for a 20+ yard gain.

The guy is a decent STs player and is actually not bad with the ball in his hands, but there's always a worry if the ball is actually going in his hands lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:06 AM)TheFan Wrote: What does Mike Thomas do that's so great, oh wise one?  

Well, unless he has photos on ZT or the Brown family, which I don't believe has actually been verified, he's a good ST's player, playing WR on a team that has never ever had great depth, imo. He's also probably a hell of a practice player and leader w/intangibles the other 6 days a week which can never be undervalued.

As I've said before, NONE of us know exactly what's involved in putting together a 53 man squad and I'd imagine if any of us ever had a one-on-one with ZT or Katie Blackburn we'd be pretty shocked as to what it all entails and goes into the decision-making.
Reply/Quote

You never know. Kurt Warner was an undrafted guy who at 27 had never even been on an NFL team. He'd played 3 years in the AFL and was stocking shelves for $5.50 and hour at a grocery store in Iowa before he made an NFL team. He's now in the ProFootball Hall of Fame. 

Some people are overlooked. Some people are late bloomers. Some people show more in the game than the practice field. We won't know about Trenton Irwin until he gets some more opportunities. What we have seen even in preseason games is that he has good hands, can take a hit and still hold onto the ball, and can find openings in the defense. 

And with his flowing hair, maybe some defenders get him confused with Hayden Hurst. I sure do watching the games on TV. :) 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:24 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Well, unless he has photos on ZT or the Brown family, which I don't believe has actually been verified, he's a good ST's player, playing WR on a team that has never ever had great depth, imo. He's also probably a hell of a practice player and leader w/intangibles the other 6 days a week which can never be undervalued.

As I've said before, NONE of us know exactly what's involved in putting together a 53 man squad and I'd imagine if any of us ever had a one-on-one with ZT or Katie Blackburn we'd be pretty shocked as to what it all  entails and goes into the decision-making.

I've never heard a player or media member talk about how players look to him or at him as a leader. Obviously that all may not come out but you certainly hear about it for others, and not just Burrow and the top players. 

He hardly plays special Teams. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:20 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The guy is a decent STs player and is actually not bad with the ball in his hands, but there's always a worry if the ball is actually going in his hands lol.

The last 3 years he's been in on less than 20% of our ST snaps. I think a lot of people confuse him the actual good special teamer MICHAEL Thomas.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 10:47 AM)higgy100 Wrote: At the end of the day I'll take Irwin for EXACTLY who he is.This kid is better than that. He's moved the ball forward nicely on several punt returns, caught a huge 2 point conversion in a playoff game, has blocked very nicely downfield which most people won't watch and has proven he can get open and also catch the ball in heavy traffic taking big hits. JB looks for him now.

Look, teams should always look to get better in all areas but it ain't always the bigger and the faster player and especially on this current team. I'll take a player with chemistry that knows how to run patterns, get open and catch the ball. NE made a living signing and playing not only late round picks but FA signings. Hell, they've traded with other teams for their undrafted players.

I think you're confusing Irwin with another white Bengals ' WR with the name Trent...
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 10:29 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Guy is useful as hell. Quicker than he looks and has a nice set of hands.

He’s definitely better than Mike Thomas.

Anyone is better than Alligator-armed-a-sure-TD-against-steelers Thomas.  Irwin has proven he can be a reliable target.  He doesn't have the vertical speed that I wish they had kept with Pryor, who got plucked away by Jax.  (Please spare me that he hasn't done anything in Jax, he was dominant here in our system with Brandon Fricken Allen throwing him the ball).  

However, he is a versatile piece and reliable.  Solid #4 on the roster as it sits.
Reply/Quote