Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Trenton Irwin Stick?
(11-21-2022, 11:06 AM)TheFan Wrote: What does Mike Thomas do that's so great, oh wise one?  Please tell me you thought him and Michael Thomas were the same player so I can laugh and point at you.

He drops huge, potentially game changing passes. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 10:44 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: He is better than Thomas.

I am better than Thomas.

You are better than Thomas.

Everyone is better than Thomas. 

Absolute turd soup.  Must be this team's version of John Thorton, who had naked pics of Marv with Mike Brown or something because he played as starter WAY too long as well.  I know Thomas isn't a starter, but he has no business seeing the field.  Look what adding Crisman did?!?!?!  Huber was beloved, but when you can't get the job done, you get shown the door or at least the bench.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:41 AM)Whatever Wrote: I think you're confusing Irwin with another white Bengals ' WR with the name Trent...

You're correct as I flipped the names.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:07 AM)TheFan Wrote:  
The fact that Thomas has been on the team for the entire year is a black eye on Taylor and no one can convince me otherwise. He provides literally nothing and has done nothing his entire career. The only reason he's had a job for the last 3 years is ZT. 

Exactly.  And, to be fair, it is one of the only black eyes...

Still, he sucks on ST as well.  He always misses as the gunner, never breaks down, flies by the ball carrier.  And he alligator-armed a sure TD week 1 against pitt.  Screw him, has no business being here.  
Reply/Quote
Will be shocked if Irwin does not stick on roster

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:30 AM)TheFan Wrote: The last 3 years he's been in on less than 20% of our ST snaps. I think a lot of people confuse him the actual good special teamer MICHAEL Thomas.

He is a good STer, always has been. Indeed the other MT is also a great STer.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomMi04.htm

Only in 2020 did he play less than 20%; last year was 36%.

He doesn't play on FGs and XPs, which are a huge chunk of snaps, thus the number is a bit skewed as a result.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Should’ve made the damn team in the 1st place
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 10:29 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Guy is useful as hell. Quicker than he looks and has a nice set of hands.

He’s definitely better than Mike Thomas.

As a receiver, he's better than Thomas...but that's not saying much.
Thomas has 38 yards on the whole season.
His most in a season is 132.

If the Bengals have room, I'd be ok keeping Irwin as an offensive option over the likes of Mike Thomas or Stanley Morgan.
However, no one should get their hopes up just yet about Irwin blossoming into some bona fide NFL WR.
The dude needs more than just a few games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As a receiver, he's better than Thomas...but that's not saying much.
Thomas has 38 yards on the whole season.
His most in a season is 132.

If the Bengals have room, I'd be ok keeping Irwin as an offensive option over the likes of Mike Thomas or Stanley Morgan.
However, no one should get their hopes up just yet about Irwin blossoming into some bona fide NFL WR.
The dude needs more than just a few games.

If it were just offense there is no doubt both the Trents would probably replace Thomas and Morgan (and I root for them and enjoy watching them play). But Special Teams has to be a consideration. Period.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:10 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If it were just offense there is no doubt both the Trents would probably replace Thomas and Morgan (and I root for them and enjoy watching them play). But Special Teams has to be a consideration. Period.

Which is why I didn't say to replace Thomas and Morgan from the team. I understand ST matters, I just didn't mention anything about ST.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
this is cool

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
we will soon know when Chase comes back.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 11:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Anyone is better than Alligator-armed-a-sure-TD-against-steelers Thomas.  Irwin has proven he can be a reliable target.  He doesn't have the vertical speed that I wish they had kept with Pryor, who got plucked away by Jax.  (Please spare me that he hasn't done anything in Jax, he was dominant here in our system with Brandon Fricken Allen throwing him the ball).  

However, he is a versatile piece and reliable.  Solid #4 on the roster as it sits.

I love this guy because he's money.  He makes a lOT of clutch catches.  And I agree with you about Pryor, who was raw, but fought for the ball and had a lot more speed.

Given the need we will have for corners and offensive/ defensive linemen it would be nice not to have to worry about having to draft a receiver.

I also have liked the way Traveon Williams has been playing.

My biggest concerns right now are our defensive backfield.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 12:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He is a good STer, always has been. Indeed the other MT is also a great STer.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomMi04.htm

Only in 2020 did he play less than 20%; last year was 36%.

He doesn't play on FGs and XPs, which are a huge chunk of snaps, thus the number is a bit skewed as a result.

Sorry, was looking at the wrong numbers - you are correct. Although his numbers are still low compared to most ST players so his role is still expendable. To say he's "good" is a bit of a stretch. 5 tackles in 3 years is hardly good. 

He has 1 tackle on the year and is back down to 21% ST snaps.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 04:08 AM)JumboTron Wrote: This could very well be one of the worst posts in the history of JN.

Do better Leonard.

So that means you've read what... 2? 3?.. posts in all your history at JN? Or you have terrible memory. Lol

(11-21-2022, 10:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I've been a fan of Irwin. Quiet guy, goes above and beyond what he's asked and can take a hit better than anyone. He has a team first attitude and just a great player.

Real gym rat. A blue collar lunch pail guy. Sneaky athletic. High effort kind of guy.   Ninja

(11-21-2022, 10:24 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think anybody is trying to say he's Jerry Rice 2.0 But why not have him as #4 instead of a guy (Thomas) who offers basically nothing to our O?

You even bolded the part where I said he was better than Thomas. This is a thread about him sticking, and I am just saying he's not an actual answer and they should still search for upgrades.

(11-21-2022, 11:27 AM)Nepa Wrote: You never know. Kurt Warner was an undrafted guy who at 27 had never even been on an NFL team. He'd played 3 years in the AFL and was stocking shelves for $5.50 and hour at a grocery store in Iowa before he made an NFL team. He's now in the ProFootball Hall of Fame. 

Some people are overlooked. Some people are late bloomers. Some people show more in the game than the practice field. We won't know about Trenton Irwin until he gets some more opportunities. What we have seen even in preseason games is that he has good hands, can take a hit and still hold onto the ball, and can find openings in the defense. 

And with his flowing hair, maybe some defenders get him confused with Hayden Hurst. I sure do watching the games on TV. :) 

In Kurt Warner's 2nd season in the NFL he led the league in Completion %, TDs, YPA, QB Rating, won an MVP, and a Super Bowl.

In Irwin's 4th season in the NFL he finally reached 100 career receiving yards and got his 1st career TD.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 03:00 PM)TheFan Wrote: Sorry, was looking at the wrong numbers - you are correct. Although his numbers are still low compared to most ST players so his role is still expendable. To say he's "good" is a bit of a stretch. 5 tackles in 3 years is hardly good. 

He has 1 tackle on the year and is back down to 21% ST snaps.

Not all good STs get tackles though. Clark Harris is notoriously one of the best LSs in the league (if not the best outright) at getting downfield and he's only gotten 33 tackles in that timespan, while Peerman (not a gunner or LS), got 73 in half that time (7 years) (more snaps of course, but also different role).

STs is very nuanced and specialized: what units you're on and what your role is, is different for everyone.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd rather see Irwin than Thomas. But TLL is right - they need to be intentional in finding better options at WR4 and WR5 in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2022, 10:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: great play to stay in bounds and gain an extra 10+ yards. HUGE play and awareness

And his block on one of the Perine TD's and getting a TD himself. Yes, Irwin should stick around over Mike Thomas.

Burrow likes the guy clearly.
Reply/Quote
Michael Thomas was just waived.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2022, 01:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Because at the end of the day he is who he is. An undrafted guy in his age 27 season who has been on the Bengals for 4 years and has 122 career receiving yards.

Just because he's better than Mike Thomas doesn't mean he's good. They should still try to get non-PS caliber players who have potential and upside as their 4th and 5th WRs. Dane Sanzenbacher had 2 games of 40 yards in 2014. It didn't change the fact that at the end of the day he was Dane Sanzenbacher.

I think Irwin would bring more to the table than Thomas. Not that it's saying much...just a better potential IMO. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote