Poll: Should the Bengals tank at 0-4
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Should we tank with Dolphins
Well, it is obvious the Miami plan is to put a product on the field the chances of winning are not good. Here is an article detailing the Dolphins plan. Others have tanked as well in other sports and it worked.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27699720/barnwell-dolphins-really-doing-how-tank-win

The question becomes is it a great long term strategy to build a playoff team? I hate losing, I hate worse throwing games. But, that is my emotional side. My strategic side says others have done it to rebuild more rapidly.

If we lose this week and go to 0-4 where our odds to make the playoffs go south, should we start making trades for draft picks in 2020 to needy playoff caliber teams to accumulate picks and to assure ZT starters ain 2019 are not talented enough to iwn games securing a top 3 pick? It goes against my morals, but maybe it is very smart move.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I don't like tanking.

I think we have enough talent to win 5-7 games this year. While not great results, I'd play young guys like Sample and MJ and hopefully develop them.

IF we were going to tank...then we'd trade AJ Green, Atkins, etc. Following a 2-14 team again wouldn't be pretty. Honestly, I think tanking teams make that decision in the offseason not mid-season in a lot of cases.
Reply/Quote
**** no...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Which team in he NFL has tanking paid off for anyway?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 04:41 PM)jason Wrote: Which team in he NFL has tanking paid off for anyway?

That's a great point. It takes years if it does, but it's really hard to name one that it worked for.

In the NBA people look at Philly, but it took them years and years and years to become good. And at that, they aren't championship level good and they lost Jimmy Butler this year.

In the NFL, IF you have a good GM, with free agency and the draft you can improve so much.
Reply/Quote
This isn't the NBA so I say no. Anyways we probably win 3 to 4 games at this pace. This season reminds of 08 in many ways. We're a good off-season away from being good anyways. If you tank it would take much longer.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
No. A lot of 1st round draft picks are bust no matter when you pick in the round. If the team is hell bent on a player in the draft, trade up to get that pick.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 04:41 PM)jason Wrote: Which team in he NFL has tanking paid off for anyway?

Only one I can think of is the Colts.

But NFL teams just don't tank that often.  I think is has to do with the risks and potential sacrifices football players face just playing the game.  It is a lot different asking players to go out and play basketball or baseball with out even trying to win than it is asking a guy to risk his bones and brains to play a football game while not even trying to win.
Reply/Quote
In a word

Nope
Reply/Quote
Imagine what this sport would become if every team tanked that knew it wasn't playoff caliber? In a word it would tank...
Reply/Quote

Colts
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 05:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Imagine what this sport would become if every team tanked that knew it wasn't playoff caliber? In a word it would tank...

Remember the Pro Bowl a couple of years ago when it kind of turned into a touch football game.  It would be like that except much worse when a team trying to win played a team that was tanking.  we would see a lot of college type 56-3 games.

Baseball and basketball can still be somewhat entertaining to watch even when teams are tanking, but football would be garbage.
Reply/Quote
Nope.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
No

That being said...

Going 0-4 would virtually eliminate the Bengals from the playoffs. At that point the Bengals coaching staff should accept that and begin to focus on the 2020 campaign. Start trying out different players, different schemes, plays, etc. Playing younger guys should be a priority to see where they stand on who they have and their actual potential from in game play. This would greatly help them formulate a better approach on who they need from the draft and (dare I say) free agency.

In other words give reason to the 2019 season so they can bear fruit from it going forward into 2020. It won't guarantee a 2020 Super Bowl run or anything, but it will at the least help them prepare better for it verses playing the same players while running the same plays/schemes etc.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Before you can convince me that we should tank this year you'd have to convince me that Mike Brown hasn't been tanking since he took over.
Reply/Quote
It makes more sense in the NBA. A single player can transform an NBA team overnight. A single superstar in the NFL can’t elevate a team that far by himself. Also, many top NFL picks, including qbs are total busts.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 05:59 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Colts

That's probably the closest example... But they only really got what?... 5-6 seasons outta him before he was beat to death. I'm not even really sure they tanked for him. That team was constructed around Manning, and when he went down, they were awful.

I think the Browns clearly tanked while Hue was there.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 05:59 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Colts

It's sort of hard to call a tank job a success when the QB you moved on from was the best QB in the league in the years after, went to a SB (when he was great) and won a SB (when he wasn't). 
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals ever tanked on purpose, I would never watch them again. Any team that tanks should be banned from professional sports. You have fans that paid hard earned money to go to games to watch you win and tanking would totally disgrace those fans. Tanking is disgusting and unethical. I also feel that if the Colts tanked, every person who bought a ticket, a jersey, hat or any other souvenir and even bought a damn soft drink or beer at the stadium should sue the shit out of that team for fraud. In addition, any coach or player who purposely contributed to the tanking should be banned from ever playing in professional sports or even non professional for that matter and serve jail time for fraud.

Reply/Quote
Problem with tanking is that it sets a bad standard for the younger players, players that you're trying to develop into winners. Look at Cleveland. Lots of talent, yet very few of them know how to win at that NFL level. I hope this team keeps fighting and gets on a roll.
Reply/Quote