Poll: Both Sewell and Chase are Available in Rd 5, Who Do You Pick?
Sewell
Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason
(03-22-2021, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, so don’t get locked onto either one. If Sewell is gone the BPA is going to be a pass catcher (Pitts, Chase, Smith, etc). There’s nothing wrong with going either way. It seems most of us that want a Pitts or a Chase are totally on board with taking Sewell if he’s there, but the other camp wants OL no matter what. Be it Slater, Darrisaw, trade back and take someone else, etc. I just don’t like that OL in the 1st or bust mentality. There’s lots of good options at offense at 5.

I keep bouncing around like i'm an superball, fired into a concrete box at high velocity. Everyone loves shiny new toys (including me) but when it comes down to it, in the middle of the season when Burrow doesn't have time to set, scan the field and throw...everyone rightly yells the old, true adage; build from the inside out. 

If Sewell is available, i just don't see how you pass on him. I still think they can get Sewell, a guy like Rashod Bateman in the 2nd and then a guy like Royce Newman in the 3rd. Now, with what they have from FA and the draft, your line should be stacked. RBs are already set. Getting Bateman or one of the other good, similar WRs will be a great compliment to Boyd and Higgins and now the WRs are set. 

Taking Sewell just seems like a more practical, need-centric way to do it, while getting one hell of an athletic Olineman and still get some really good players after round 1. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 11:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I keep bouncing around like i'm an superball, fired into a concrete box at high velocity. Everyone loves shiny new toys (including me) but when it comes down to it, in the middle of the season when Burrow doesn't have time to set, scan the field and throw...everyone rightly yells the old, true adage; build from the inside out. 

If Sewell is available, i just don't see how you pass on him. I still think they can get Sewell, a guy like Rashod Bateman in the 2nd and then a guy like Royce Newman in the 3rd. Now, with what they have from FA and the draft, your line should be stacked. RBs are already set. Getting Bateman or one of the other good, similar WRs will be a great compliment to Boyd and Higgins and now the WRs are set. 

Taking Sewell just seems like a more practical, need-centric way to do it, while getting one hell of an athletic Olineman and still get some really good players after round 1. 

I think.Pitts has the ability and skillset to redefine the TE position. He was making plays on next level talent in the SEC.
Sewell is a surefire talent. But his sample size is very small.
Not to mention his level of competition was so so 

The Bengals can draft Pitts then in the top of RD 2
Select their future RT and let develop behind Reiff.
People act like Sewell is only OT in this draft.
Sewell is not light years better than the other OTs
In this draft. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 12:18 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I think.Pitts has the ability and skillset to redefine the TE position. He was making plays on next level talent in the SEC.
Sewell is a surefire talent. But his sample size is very small.
Not to mention his level of competition was so so 

The Bengals can draft Pitts then in the top of RD 2
Select their future RT and let develop behind Reiff.
People act like Sewell is only OT in this draft.
Sewell is not light years better than the other OTs
In this draft. 

Maybe not light years, but i guarantee you he's a light year ahead. Not one other T in this draft is close to him in athleticism/power combination. And he's younger than them all. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 01:07 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Maybe not light years, but i guarantee you he's a light year ahead. Not one other T in this draft is close to him in athleticism/power combination. And he's younger than them all. 

Does younger necessarily mean better especially at OT?
If the Bengals draft him where does he fit?
Reiff didnt sign here to be a backup. Didnt  he say hes the starting RT?
Williams is locked in at LT.
That leaves OG. 
He didnt play it at Oregon. 
Sewell is raw. 
The Bengals need a guy at 5 that pay off dividends right away.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 09:18 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Does younger necessarily mean better especially at OT?
If the Bengals draft him where does he fit?
Reiff didnt sign here to be a backup. Didnt  he say hes the starting RT?
Williams is locked in at LT.
That leaves OG. 
He didnt play it at Oregon. 
Sewell is raw. 
The Bengals need a guy at 5 that pay off dividends right away.

Full training camp and preseason, he could start at OG, day 1. 

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 07:04 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Theres more than signing FAs in.regards to fixing the oline.
There is somekind of false narrative that free agency alone 
Was going.to addess the oline woes. Not true.
You are forgetting the following

Bringing back Frank Pollack.
He is going to.coach this oline up the right way.
His olines in Dallas didnt get good on.their own.
He was able to make those guys work.as a single unit.
Cohesion and synchronized chemistry.
Jim.Turner was the worst position coach in.the league last year

The health of Jonah Williams.

Those are 2 things the Bengals oline did not have last year

And I hope ZT does a better job of protecting Burrow with the running game. I think.he saw the damage what Perrine could do
With 10 plus carries a game.
I.dont care how many All Pros are on a oline, if a front 4
Knows the QB is dropping back 65% of the time, at some point the pass rush will get there
Teams were rushing 3 4 guys and dropping 7 or 8  and  Burrow had to hold the ball longer
To find a open target

Oh yeah their is the draft too.

When I think of our offensive line and Pollack as coach the term "You can't polish a turd" comes to mind. I love Pollack coming here and think hes a BIG difference, however the offensive line is an absolute wreck. And SO FAR in FA with only one pick up, that won't fix this line and most importantly protect Burrow. 

So, then we go into the draft with a huge need to improve the biggest deficit this team has and that stinks because if we addressed this in free agency with more than the Reiff signing we would have more options to pick up players that are best on the board at that time. 

You can get Chase, you can get Pitts but if there is no line to protect Burrow and actually allow time for plays to develop its all for nothing. 

So, yes there is obviously more than just FA.... but FA is a big part of the formula and Bengals whiffed this year when it comes to addressing the OL. Now they have to address it in the draft and they just limited their options on improving things as a whole for this team. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 10:12 PM)GodFather Wrote: When I think of our offensive line and Pollack as coach the term "You can't polish a turd" comes to mind. I love Pollack coming here and think hes a BIG difference, however the offensive line is an absolute wreck. And SO FAR in FA with only one pick up, that won't fix this line and most importantly protect Burrow. 

So, then we go into the draft with a huge need to improve the biggest deficit this team has and that stinks because if we addressed this in free agency with more than the Reiff signing we would have more options to pick up players that are best on the board at that time. 

You can get Chase, you can get Pitts but if there is no line to protect Burrow and actually allow time for plays to develop its all for nothing. 

So, yes there is obviously more than just FA.... but FA is a big part of the formula and Bengals whiffed this year when it comes to addressing the OL. Now they have to address it in the draft and they just limited their options on improving things as a whole for this team. 

I also missed how awesome the O line was in 2018. I'm glad Jim Turner is gone and all, but the O line has been bad since September of 2016.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 10:12 PM)GodFather Wrote: When I think of our offensive line and Pollack as coach the term "You can't polish a turd" comes to mind. I love Pollack coming here and think hes a BIG difference, however the offensive line is an absolute wreck. And SO FAR in FA with only one pick up, that won't fix this line and most importantly protect Burrow. 

They didn't whiff on the OL in FA.  Reiff is a great get.  It's just that they needed 2 quality starters on the OL in FA to completely open up the draft and they only got one, so I think they need 1 OL in the first 2 rounds.
Reply/Quote
Sewell.

Our OL is a weakness, not our weapons. We have some pretty good, young receivers. We don't have crap on our OL. We need to protect Burrow. He's going to be our future for a while. I'm sure this is what most people have said, but I haven't read the thread.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 10:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: They didn't whiff on the OL in FA.  Reiff is a great get.  It's just that they needed 2 quality starters on the OL in FA to completely open up the draft and they only got one, so I think they need 1 OL in the first 2 rounds.

Our strongest offensive lineman Williams, who has a history of injuries since being drafted, is the best player on the 2020 line. I wouldn't count on Trey Hopkins after tearing his ACL at the end of last season for this upcoming season. So we have Wiliams(if he can actually make it through a full season healthy) and Reiff. We have 2 guards and a center that still need addressing. Yes, we are far from fixing this line...
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 11:03 PM)GodFather Wrote: Our strongest offensive lineman Williams, who has a history of injuries since being drafted, is the best player on the 2020 line. I wouldn't count on Trey Hopkins after tearing his ACL at the end of last season for this upcoming season. So we have Wiliams(if he can actually make it through a full season healthy) and Reiff. We have 2 guards and a center that still need addressing. Yes, we are far from fixing this line...

Hopkins is reported to be ready for TC, so that leaves plenty of extra time if he has a setback.  Jordan was also a C in college so they may slide him to C to salvage something.  I'm not enthralled with Trey, but he's decent.  
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 12:39 AM)Whatever Wrote: Hopkins is reported to be ready for TC, so that leaves plenty of extra time if he has a setback.  Jordan was also a C in college so they may slide him to C to salvage something.  I'm not enthralled with Trey, but he's decent.  

Wasn't really sure where to put this, so i guess here is as good a place as any.

Pass efficiency and pressures per snap--higher number is wanted.
--------------------------------------
Hopkins --- 98.9 eff, 1 pressure per 50 snaps, 600 snaps, 1 sack, 1 hit, 10 hurries, 12 pressures
Price ------- 98.0 eff, 1 pressure per 35 snaps, 138 snaps, 1 sack, 1 hit, 2 hurries, 4 pressures
XSF -------- 98.0 eff, 1 pressure per 31 snaps, 155 snaps, 1 sack, 1 hit, 3 hurries, 5 pressures
Spain ------ 97.4 eff, 1 pressure per 22 snaps, 327 snaps, 1 sack, 4 hits, 10 hurries, 15 pressures
J-Will ------ 97.2 eff, 1 pressure per 21 snaps, 429 snaps, 3 sacks, 6 hits, 11 hurries, 20 pressures
Redmond - 97.0 eff, 1 pressure per 21 snaps, 278 snaps, 3 sacks, 2 hits, 8 hurries, 13 pressures
Fred ------- 96.0 eff, 1 pressure per 15 snaps, 293 snaps, 2 sacks, 5 hits, 13 hurries, 20 pressures
MJ --------- 96.0 eff, 1 pressure per 14 snaps, 499 snaps, 3 sacks, 15 hits, 17 hurries, 35 pressures
Hart ------- 95.4 eff, 1 pressure per 13 snaps, 552 snaps, 4 sacks, 8 hits, 32 hurries, 44 pressures
Hak-Ad --- 94.4 eff, 1 pressure per 13 snaps, 150 snaps, 4 sacks, 2 hits, 6 hurries, 12 pressures
**Reiff---- 97.9 eff, 1 pressure per 27 snaps, 567 snaps, 1 sack, 7 hits, 13 hurries, 21 pressures
The average offensive lineman will have an efficiency rating of 97.4 and give up 1 pressure per 23 snaps, on 502 snaps.

Hit percentage (percentage of the time you allow the QB to be sacked or hit--lower number is wanted)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopkins --- .003%
XSF -------- .012%
Price ------- .014%
Spain ------ .015%
Redmond - .017%
J-Will ------ .020%
Hart ------- .021%
Fred ------- .023%
MJ --------- .036%
Hak-Ad --- .040%
**Reiff---- .014%
The average offensive lineman will have a Hit Percentage around .015%

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 08:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I take Chase.
Signing Reiff allows a premier playmaker to fall.to them at 5.
The Bengals need  a serious end zone.threat on offense.
Boyd is the best chain mover in the game.
But hes not a TD machine.
Tee Higgins has potential to be a consistant end zone threat
But the rest of the supporting cast are not consistant end zone threats.

Not Uzomah, not Bernard, not Tate, not Sample.
Chase.could be a difference maker right out the gate.
Sewell is a great talent, but isnt better than Slater or Darrisaw.
Plus he hasnt played in 15 months
The Bengals can still.grab.a future RT in RD 2.
The Bengals need a impact player at 5.
This.  I'm all about building the trenches but when you get a chance at a game changer you have to take them

To me it all boils down to which one will win you more games.  A stud WR will do that all day over one lineman.

Plus, there are good lineman to be had at the top of RD2.  The same can't really be said about WR - a game changer anyway.
Reply/Quote

I wouldn't go as far as saying they "whiffed"....Reif is a starter and good T and getting Spain back is good too. Had they snagged a good G, I think you would  not be saying they whiffed .  I dont think they are done making moves on OL.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 07:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sewell

PROTECT BURROW

(03-20-2021, 07:47 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Sewell

PROTECT BURROW

(03-20-2021, 08:03 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Sewell, protect Burrow.

Sewell.

Protect Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Chase..round 1...Leatherwood round 2....Edge round 3....TE...round 4...
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2021, 10:23 PM)jason Wrote: I also missed how awesome the O line was in 2018. I'm glad Jim Turner is gone and all, but the O line has been bad since September of 2016.

Agreed, so that means that you're all or the Bengals going all-in on drafting to overhaul the OL this year, right?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Gimme Chase and draft OG and/or OC in rounds 2-4 wherever value falls.

Stick with Reiff and Jonah this year at OT and reevaluate Reiff next year, if you think hes still got something in the tank then resign him at 1-2 years and draft an OT then, if he isnt getting it done then sign a quality player in Free Agency or 1st round of the draft.

I wouldn't hate grabbing an OT early as well I just think OT will be fine this year and we need to upgrade the interior line much more than OT.
Reply/Quote
I voted Sewell. Simply put Reiff and Williams are both LTs historically. Neither could be called quality run blockers, at least not when compared to what we'd like to see.

Sewell, on the other hand, has the beef and strength to play on the right side and move defenders.

I see Reiff's signing as an upgrade over Hart, but I also see it as another half-assed attempt to improve the line.

With all of that said, I don't believe the Bengals will take Sewell at 5 if he's there. I expect they'll be looking for speed and talent on the outside.

I do expect them to spend a day three pick on the OL, as usual, and pretend that they got a future starter and give it all a lick and a promise.

The right draft strategy would be to build strong OL and DL. But Taylor doesn't seem to believe in a dominant OL. Not a single OL player on this team is one that could be called dominant. Sewell could be that guy, but I firmly believe they pass.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 06:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I voted Sewell. Simply put Reiff and Williams are both LTs historically. Neither could be called quality run blockers, at least not when compared to what we'd like to see.

Sewell, on the other hand, has the beef and strength to play on the right side and move defenders.

I see Reiff's signing as an upgrade over Hart, but I also see it as another half-assed attempt to improve the line.

Not only that, they signed him on the cheap.  Reiff is going to be looking for one last payday, and the Bengals have already shown that they are unwilling to pay even a healthy Andrew Whitworth into his mid 30's.  People need to accept Reiff for what he is, a one-year stop gap.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote