Poll: Both Sewell and Chase are Available in Rd 5, Who Do You Pick?
Sewell
Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason
(03-28-2021, 06:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not only that, they signed him on the cheap.  Reiff is going to be looking for one last payday, and the Bengals have already shown that they are unwilling to pay even a healthy Andrew Whitworth into his mid 30's.  People need to accept Reiff for what he is, a one-year stop gap.

It may depend on who they get in the draft. If they get someone to play OG this year and can pop out to tackle next year, no doubt. If they don't have anyone to take over at tackle, they may make a run at him next year...if his contract isn't already structured for them to have him next year. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 06:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not only that, they signed him on the cheap.  Reiff is going to be looking for one last payday, and the Bengals have already shown that they are unwilling to pay even a healthy Andrew Whitworth into his mid 30's.  People need to accept Reiff for what he is, a one-year stop gap.

Yeah, that's how I see it. Reiff may surprise, but I'm fairly sure his best days are behind him.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 06:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It may depend on who they get in the draft. If they get someone to play OG this year and can pop out to tackle next year, no doubt. If they don't have anyone to take over at tackle, they may make a run at him next year...if his contract isn't already structured for them to have him next year. 

Eh, I don't think that Reiff's contract is structured for the Bengals to have any control next year.  It is structured for them to have part of his $7.5M count towards next year's cap, though.

However, the Bengals need good, young OL to support a franchise QB and develop a rushing attack.  As we saw in free agency just recently, decent OL of a desirable age are quite expensive.  They need to hit on a few OL draft picks, because the shelf is empty.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The line with Reiff is still a bottom 5 unit. The interior o-line is the league’s worst. Jonah is injury-prone. Reiff is on the wrong side of 30. Draft Sewell, let him maul at G and serve as the swing tackle if either Williams/Reiff get hurt. This WR class is deep. Target Mitchell/Bateman/Darden types in 2-3, and draft a center/guard with whatever 2-3 pick that isn’t used on a WR.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 07:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Eh, I don't think that Reiff's contract is structured for the Bengals to have any control next year. It is structured for them to have part of his $7.5M count towards next year's cap, though.

However, the Bengals need good, young OL to support a franchise QB and develop a rushing attack.  As we saw in free agency just recently, decent OL of a desirable age are quite expensive.  They need to hit on a few OL draft picks, because the shelf is empty.

Ok, that makes sense. I'd seen talk about 'is it 1 or 2 years?'.

They definitely need to address the T position in either rd1 or 2. Whether it's Sewell or one of the handful of guys in the 2nd that can do it...they can't go into next year needing to spend big in FA for a tackle. Probably be smart to double dip and hit Oline in 2 of the 3 first 3 rounds. 

If they had just got Conklin last year...Rant

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 07:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: Very tough to answer at the moment.  We have two quality starting T's.  We don't have 3 starting quality WR's.  If we do nothing else in FA, I would say take Sewell and stick him at G for a year and try to address WR in 2.  If we add a decent G, I think it then swings more towards Chase. 

Both are great prospects and would be great picks, though.  I would be very happy with either.

Your right however we have proven time and time again the bengals hit on wide receivers all the time outside the first round however the bengals are horrible at scouting offensive lineman. The last thing I want them doing is having to wait on one in the later rounds. And I’d rather have three quality offensive lineman than 3 quality wide receivers all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Unless protecting ur qb isn’t top priority which is a common theme amongst bengals lol
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 08:06 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The line with Reiff is still a bottom 5 unit. The interior o-line is the league’s worst. Jonah is injury-prone.  Reiff is on the wrong side of 30. Draft Sewell, let him maul at G and serve as the swing tackle if either Williams/Reiff get hurt.  This WR class is deep.  Target Mitchell/Bateman/Darden types in 2-3, and draft a center/guard with whatever 2-3 pick that isn’t used on a WR.

I agree with the second part, but the first part isn't necessarily true. Yes, Jonah's injuries are a concern but talent-wise, he and Reiff should be fine at T. Spain has been a very good in passpro his entire career, before last season. Give him a full TC and one spot to focus on and he will be fine. XSF was a wall the last 4 games of the year. Gave up a total of 2 pressures, and 0 in the last 3 weeks. 

If they take Sewell, he steps in for one of them and they fight it out for the other spot. If Hopkins insn't back at the beginning of the year, Price should be better with 2 solid guys on either side of him. 

If the line can just be average and the offense can stay healthy, that's easily a .500+ season. The defense would have to be really bad--kind of like they've been the last couple years--that would hurt the record, but with who they signed last year and this year, again with health, they should be better. 

It's always about injuries with this team. Not so much the quantity, but the severe drop off with depth that has killed them in recent years. 

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2021, 11:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I agree with the second part, but the first part isn't necessarily true. Yes, Jonah's injuries are a concern but talent-wise, he and Reiff should be fine at T. Spain has been a very good in passpro his entire year, before last season. Give him a full TC and one spot to focus on and he will be fine. XSF was a wall the last 4 games of the year. Gave up a total of 2 pressures, and 0 in the last 3 weeks. 

If they take Sewell, he steps in for one of them and they fight it out for the other spot. If Hopkins insn't back at the beginning of the year, Price should be better with 2 solid guys on either side of him. 

If the line can just be average and the offense can stay healthy, that's easily a .500+ season. The defense would have to be really bad--kind of like they've been the last couple years--that would hurt the record, but with who they signed last year and this year, again with health, they should be better. 

It's always about injuries with this team. Not so much the quantity, but the severe drop off with depth that has killed them in recent years. 
Spot on!
Reply/Quote
We actually have stats in two different threads that show that once we had both Spain and XSF in at Guard the line took a big step up in both run and pass blocking. The Achilles heels of the line were MJ, Redmond and Hart.
Reply/Quote
Why I think it makes sense to go OL with the first pick?

I have put a lot of thoughts into this and this is what I have came up with.

1)  Scheme fit:
If the Bengals take Pitts or Chase at 5, they almost have to get an OT with the next pick.  They are switching to an outside zone blocking scheme and not just any OL makes sense for that. Reiff was targeted in free agency for that reason. I cannot see the Bengals switching to this scheme and then taking just anyone in round 2 that can potentially play OT in the NFL. They would almost certainly have to target Mayfield, Cosmi, Radunz or Little (Little would be super risky). Tackles like Leatherwood or Eichenburg that could slip into round 2 are more power type downhill blockers and I don't see the Bengals drafting them.

2) Potential Draft Capitol Loss:
As far as the draft goes, if the Bengals want to acquire some extra picks, it currently makes more sense in the second round than the first. It would be foolish for Cincinnati to trade down from 5 without the draft playing out certain ways.  

With all this said, I feel like drafting Chase could ultimately cost them draft capitol by having to move up to get their guy with the 2nd pick. I haven't seen this mentioned but drafting Chase strongly increases the probability that they would likely have to trade up to get the one that they want that would fit their scheme. Cincinnati has watched targets like Ragnow and Risner get snagged away from them. I could see the Bengals having to trade up with a team like the Saints that need draft capitol to get the OL they are targeting. Whereas, drafting Sewell or Slater with the first pick allows the Bengals a probable opportunity to trade down in round 2. I can see a couple of teams in round 1 that could go elsewhere with their first pick hoping to grab a T in round two and when a bunch have flown of the board decide to try to move up in the draft. Or for a particular, pass rusher. At least at this point, Cincinnati would have the option to trade down or stick and make their selection but they certainly would not have to trade up.

So my hypothesis is:
         Scenario 1: Chase at 5 and when the Saints are on the clock. the tackles left are Cosmi. Leatherwood, Eichenburg and Radunz. The Bengals don't like Leatherwood or Eichenburg due to scheme fit. Do the Bengals sit and hope that 1 of their 2 guys make it there if they even like both or trade for pick 28 with picks 37 and 69 to draft to get their guy basically decimating their draft capitol.
         Scenario 2: Sewell at 5 and Cincinnati trades back into the middle or late middle of the second round and adds an extra 3rd round pick.

Mock draft with Chase:
#5 Chase WR
#28 Cosmi OT
#111 Green OG

Mock draft with Sewell
#5 Sewell
Bengals trade pick 37 to Titans for #53 and #85
#53 WR or DE
#69 WR or DE
#85 DT
#111 G/C
Reply/Quote
Chase, take OT Tevin Jenkins in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
One of Marvin Lewis biggest complaints about the front office is he felt they didn't draft work horses and instead went for the flashy draft instead. If this is still the case the Bengals will pick Chase. It should be really interesting where they go.
Reply/Quote
Has anyone changed their mind since first answering? This debate is raging hard on social media for correct 1st round choice.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Has anyone changed their mind since first answering? This debate is raging hard on social media for correct 1st round choice.

Actually yeah, I’d say I’ve changed my mind. I originally voted Sewell, but that was before I really started diving into some of the other OL prospects that will likely be available on day two. I also saw some great arguments made for Chase both here and elsewhere online. Plus that Chase pro day...

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Has anyone changed their mind since first answering? This debate is raging hard on social media for correct 1st round choice.

Not really. I still would love any of the 3 I just think we take Sewell now after Pollack working exclusively with him at his 
Pro Day. Which would be great honestly. Sewell would really help our O-line out immediately. We can get weapons later.

Still think Pitts is crazy special but I think the Falcons take him in front of us.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Actually yeah, I’d say I’ve changed my mind. I originally voted Sewell, but that was before I really started diving into some of the other OL prospects that will likely be available on day two. I also saw some great arguments made for Chase both here and elsewhere online. Plus that Chase pro day...

One thing that all these beat writers aren't taking into account is that Atlanta could actually take one of these guys. 

I'm going out on a limb and saying the Falcons pick up either Sewell or Chase.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 07:58 PM)GodFather Wrote: One thing that all these beat writers aren't taking into account is that Atlanta could actually take one of these guys. 

I'm going out on a limb and saying the Falcons pick up either Sewell or Chase.

I would kind of love that tbh. Then we won’t have all the bickering about choosing the wrong guy. At least until Pitts starts becoming All Pro every year...lol

Reply/Quote
My perfect scenario would be Chase at #5

Trade your 2nd rounder and whatever it takes to get back in the 1st round selecting Alijah Vera-Tucker
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Tim McGee with some pretty strong opinions on what to do at 5...

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/tim-mcgee-believes-bengals-should-pick-oregon-tackle-penei-sewell

I’m so conflicted at this point...lol

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 09:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tim McGee with some pretty strong opinions on what to do at 5...

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/tim-mcgee-believes-bengals-should-pick-oregon-tackle-penei-sewell

I’m so conflicted at this point...lol

[Image: giphy.gif]

I think being conflicted is a pretty good sign that we can't go wrong with any of the 3.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote