Poll: Both Sewell and Chase are Available in Rd 5, Who Do You Pick?
Sewell
Chase
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question What's Your Answer and Reason
(03-22-2021, 08:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Deep receiver class as well..... don't need to take one at #5 either.

Right, so don’t get locked onto either one. If Sewell is gone the BPA is going to be a pass catcher (Pitts, Chase, Smith, etc). There’s nothing wrong with going either way. It seems most of us that want a Pitts or a Chase are totally on board with taking Sewell if he’s there, but the other camp wants OL no matter what. Be it Slater, Darrisaw, trade back and take someone else, etc. I just don’t like that OL in the 1st or bust mentality. There’s lots of good options at offense at 5.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Actually the OL class is deep with players who can actually step in and play. The WR class falls off a cliff after Chase and Smith.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 09:55 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: So, are you basically saying that if we don’t take an o-line Day 1 we are pretty much done with 2021.  No hope that an improved coach, a wide zone scheme, FA signings, rookies from Day 2 on and continued development of the young Bengals already on the team means squat.  The Bengals are done!  Naturally, agree to disagree.

How does that differ from your perspective that we need a pass catcher at #5?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'll take CHASE because that's the way we always roll as an organization. QB, WR, RB.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually the OL class is deep with players who can actually step in and play. The WR class falls off a cliff after Chase and Smith.

I don't know that I'd characterize it as that drastic, but it's incredibly top-heavy.  The top receiver prospects are elite.  Everyone else is not.  With offensive line, the top prospects are elite.  The rest still have potential to be elite.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:27 PM)MickMack Wrote: I don't know that I'd characterize it as that drastic, but it's incredibly top-heavy.  The top receiver prospects are elite.  Everyone else is not.  With offensive line, the top prospects are elite.  The rest still have potential to be elite.

Yeah, this seems pretty accurate. I’d be much less surprised by a Cosmi, Vera-Tucker, Eichenberg, Humphrey, etc becoming one of the best players at their position from this draft class than I would be a Marshall, Moore, Toney, Bateman, etc being on the level of the top few guys.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How does that differ from your perspective that we need a pass catcher at #5?

It doesn’t. I have Pitts as #1 on my board and Chase top 5.

The drop-off after Pitts is great. At round 2 the receiver drop off isn’t that extreme but OL is better early Day 2 In other words, I feel that OL can nab you a superior product overall than a WR would.

The difference is if we go Sewell plus WR Day 2 isn’t like I am saying it’s a catastrophic undoing that gives no chance win 2021. Many on this board are saying just that if we do the opposite. I like Pitts better that’s all.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, this seems pretty accurate. I’d be much less surprised by a Cosmi, Vera-Tucker, Eichenberg, Humphrey, etc becoming one of the best players at their position from this draft class than I would be a Marshall, Moore, Toney, Bateman, etc being on the level of the top few guys.

And this is the point. The OL class doesn't fall off of a cliff after Sewell. The WR class nosedives after Chase and Smith. 
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 11:18 PM)Joelist Wrote: And this is the point. The OL class doesn't fall off of a cliff after Sewell. The WR class nosedives after Chase and Smith. 

Sure, but you can still sign a TY Hilton, Sammy Watkins, or Alshon Jeffery for 0 draft picks. OL choice aren't so strong anymore with all that waiting they did.

As long as Sewell is there, he needs to be the pick. If he's not, I am fine going Chase. 2nd round needs to be OL either way as there seems to be big value in this draft at the top of the 2nd with OL. If Sewell is gone and Chase is the pick at 5, they need to dip back in round 3 for OL again.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Every year there is this myth that after such and such WR the class drops off...

If that was true, then how do you account for the top 10 in receiving yards?

#1 - Diggs 5th round
#2 - Kelce 3rd round
#3 - Hopkins pick 27
#4 - Jefferson pick 22 (5th WR taken)
#5 - Adams 2nd round
#6 - Ridley pick 26
#7 - Metcalf round 2
#8 - T. Hill round 5
#9 - A. Robinson round 2
#10 - Darren Waller round 6

Only one guy in the top 15 in yards was taken in the top 10 picks. Cooper at 14. Right after him is Robby Anderson an UDFA.

I sat here last year and debated with Nico and others that we shouldn't take Burrow. Not because he wasn't a good prospect but because the team had too many holes and he would get hurt. He did.

Fast forward. We still have too many holes. Again, we need to get a Munoz, Willie Anderson type to anchor the line and give it an attitude and you don't find those guys in round 3 and 4. One guy with an attitude who can be the anchor can change the vibe of the line completely. There is two maybe 3 guys this draft class who fit that bill. Sewell for sure, Slater certainly, and maybe Darrisaw. They have the ability to come in and change your entire line. 3 of the 5 All Pro offensive lineman were taken 1st round and top 10. That's where you find these guys that can just come in and make a change.

If you aren't taking one of those guys, you need to trade down and stockpile picks and pray you hit on several pieces for the team. It's not hard to find WR's and TE's in round 2 and beyond. The best WR in Bengals history was a 2nd rounder.

Outside of that. I'm not going continue typing out a discussion about this. Half the fanbase is in the get Pitts or Chase camp at all costs. Then there is another half on here that realize the line is garbage and has been ignored and you need to throw a lot of picks at it to fix it.

No one is going to change their mind no matter what stats are shown. So, I'm just taking a break cause in the end you all still want the same thing as me (well all except one poster who I really believe is a mouth piece for the Brown family or something) and that is for the team to win.

And, come the season, I'll be talking with you all in gameday threads cursing about drops and Taylor's coaching and Lou's horrible defense again. So, there is no reason to have such hostility with anyone that isn't a steeler fan. Hope you all have a great spring, I'll check back after the draft and see how everyone feels about the picks.

Stay healthy and stay safe.

Who Dey

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, so don’t get locked onto either one. If Sewell is gone the BPA is going to be a pass catcher (Pitts, Chase, Smith, etc). There’s nothing wrong with going either way. It seems most of us that want a Pitts or a Chase are totally on board with taking Sewell if he’s there, but the other camp wants OL no matter what. Be it Slater, Darrisaw, trade back and take someone else, etc. I just don’t like that OL in the 1st or bust mentality. There’s lots of good options at offense at 5.

I'm locked on Sewell. If he's gone, I'd probably take Chase over Pitts simply due to his already existing history with Burrow. I just don't see how we can pass on Sewell if he's there though.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 08:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I literally said “if Sewell is gone” in my post...

Yes, I was agreeing with you......
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 03:21 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Every year there is this myth that after such and such WR the class drops off...

If that was true, then how do you account for the top 10 in receiving yards?

#1 - Diggs 5th round
#2 - Kelce 3rd round
#3 - Hopkins pick 27
#4 - Jefferson pick 22 (5th WR taken)
#5 - Adams 2nd round
#6 - Ridley pick 26
#7 - Metcalf round 2
#8 - T. Hill round 5
#9 - A. Robinson round 2
#10 - Darren Waller round 6

Only one guy in the top 15 in yards was taken in the top 10 picks. Cooper at 14. Right after him is Robby Anderson an UDFA.

I sat here last year and debated with Nico and others that we shouldn't take Burrow. Not because he wasn't a good prospect but because the team had too many holes and he would get hurt. He did.

Fast forward. We still have too many holes. Again, we need to get a Munoz, Willie Anderson type to anchor the line and give it an attitude and you don't find those guys in round 3 and 4. One guy with an attitude who can be the anchor can change the vibe of the line completely. There is two maybe 3 guys this draft class who fit that bill. Sewell for sure, Slater certainly, and maybe Darrisaw. They have the ability to come in and change your entire line. 3 of the 5 All Pro offensive lineman were taken 1st round and top 10. That's where you find these guys that can just come in and make a change.

If you aren't taking one of those guys, you need to trade down and stockpile picks and pray you hit on several pieces for the team. It's not hard to find WR's and TE's in round 2 and beyond. The best WR in Bengals history was a 2nd rounder.

Outside of that. I'm not going continue typing out a discussion about this. Half the fanbase is in the get Pitts or Chase camp at all costs. Then there is another half on here that realize the line is garbage and has been ignored and you need to throw a lot of picks at it to fix it.

No one is going to change their mind no matter what stats are shown. So, I'm just taking a break cause in the end you all still want the same thing as me (well all except one poster who I really believe is a mouth piece for the Brown family or something) and that is for the team to win.

And, come the season, I'll be talking with you all in gameday threads cursing about drops and Taylor's coaching and Lou's horrible defense again. So, there is no reason to have such hostility with anyone that isn't a steeler fan. Hope you all have a great spring, I'll check back after the draft and see how everyone feels about the picks.

Stay healthy and stay safe.

Who Dey

Those players were all selected by teams with GMs and scouts that don't have the same last name of the owner... And Hill tried to terminate a pregnancy. Fairly certain he goes higher if he's not a trash human being.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The way this free agency has gone with the Bengals, I feel they backed themselves a corner and have to draft OL. Reiff signing is not going to cut it alone, we need more. I like the signing of him but we have 2 guards and a center need. Do you really want Price at center?

My hope was the Bengals would've been more aggressive at OL needs this FA but instead just replaced what left on defense leaving this years draft so far a typical Bengals disappointment.
Reply/Quote
Just saw that Kyle Pitts ran a 4.46 40 time yesterday, which is insane. The dude is 6'6 240 pounds.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-football-watch-UF-TE-Kyle-Pitts-shows-off-blistering-40-yard-dash--162907747/

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind who want Sewell, but that's pretty damn impressive. Fwiw, here are the 40 times of our top 3 WR's right now...

Tyler Boyd - 4.58
Tee Higgins - 4.54
Auden Tate 4.64

A 240 pound tight end is such a phsyical freak that he's faster than our main wide receivers.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 05:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just saw that Kyle Pitts ran a 4.46 40 time yesterday, which is insane.  The dude is 6'6 240 pounds.

https://247sports.com/college/florida/Article/Florida-Gators-football-watch-UF-TE-Kyle-Pitts-shows-off-blistering-40-yard-dash--162907747/

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind who want Sewell, but that's pretty damn impressive.  Fwiw, here are the 40 times of our top 3 WR's right now...

Tyler Boyd - 4.58
Tee Higgins - 4.54
Auden Tate 4.64

A 240 pound tight end is such a physical freak that he's faster than our main wide receivers.

The problem is the Bengals did not address the FA enough with offensive line needs to give us the flexibility to do things like draft a WR or TE. One pickup isn't going to cut it. We need some quality on that line.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 06:07 PM)GodFather Wrote: The problem is the Bengals did not address the FA enough with offensive line needs to give us the flexibility to do things like draft a WR or TE. One pickup isn't going to cut it. We need some quality on that line.

Theres more than signing FAs in.regards to fixing the oline.
There is somekind of false narrative that free agency alone 
Was going.to addess the oline woes. Not true.
You are forgetting the following

Bringing back Frank Pollack.
He is going to.coach this oline up the right way.
His olines in Dallas didnt get good on.their own.
He was able to make those guys work.as a single unit.
Cohesion and synchronized chemistry.
Jim.Turner was the worst position coach in.the league last year

The health of Jonah Williams.

Those are 2 things the Bengals oline did not have last year

And I hope ZT does a better job of protecting Burrow with the running game. I think.he saw the damage what Perrine could do
With 10 plus carries a game.
I.dont care how many All Pros are on a oline, if a front 4
Knows the QB is dropping back 65% of the time, at some point the pass rush will get there
Teams were rushing 3 4 guys and dropping 7 or 8  and  Burrow had to hold the ball longer
To find a open target

Oh yeah their is the draft too.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2021, 05:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Just saw that Kyle Pitts ran a 4.46 40 time yesterday, which is insane.  The dude is 6'6 240 pounds.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind who want Sewell, but that's pretty damn impressive.  Fwiw, here are the 40 times of our top 3 WR's right now...

Tyler Boyd - 4.58
Tee Higgins - 4.54
Auden Tate 4.64

A 240 pound tight end is such a phsyical freak that he's faster than our main wide receivers.

Yes, jaw dropping. I am for Pitts at 5 now even if Sewell is there with the depth of OT's in this class and the fact Sewell is a bit
raw and took off the year last season. We can still get quality OL in the 2nd and 3rd or even trade back and add a pick while not
taking Pitts. Who knows if teams will trade up for Pitts now in front of us or Miami or the Falcons take him right in front of us.

I don't know if I have seen a player come out like Pitts honestly with that size, speed, route running and hands. He can play TE 
or WR. Matchup nightmare, early picks on OL as we know don't always pan out either regardless of how good the prospect is.

Pitts will be a matchup nightmare for Linebackers, Corners and Safeties. Good luck to all of them trying to cover this guy.
Reply/Quote
I take Sewell even if it's not exciting on the surface, and I like Pitts more than Chase.

We have to protect Burrow and put some holes in front of Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2021, 04:20 PM)Joelist Wrote: You need both blocking AND receivers that can get separation. It’s a circle.

Also, if Sewell had played this last year and was not coming in with flags on technique and being raw I would be firmer. And if we are better off with someone like Vera-Tucker then we should act accordingly. 

I ignored the last one, but now you're getting silly with this. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote