Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since 1995 the Bengals have 173 Wins...
(12-14-2019, 08:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Cowboys were a 3-13 team the year before Johnson took over. And the Cowboys had a 1500+ yard rusher in 1988 when they were 3-13...Herschel Walker and they traded him before the 1989 season.

So yeah...a 3-13 team trades a 1500 yard rusher...

And, they started Aikman who was a rookie QB in 1989. 3 team win goes to 1 win.

The Bengals on the other hand were a 6 win team the year before. They had a lot of injuries during that 1 win year. And they kept their veteran QB in Dalton. Brought back their key free agents. Didn't dump players for draft picks...even at the deadline.

And 1 win so far.

I will repeat my answer.  Maybe you will get it this time.

The talent level they had to work with makes no difference.  Johnson was coaching to win the same as taylor.  He only started two rookies.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 10:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the previous decade and a half the Bengals are in the top half of the league in wins; top ten in playoff appearances; and tied for 11th in Super Bowl Championships.

LOL. Number 11 when there can only be a maximum of 10 over a decade span. Nice spinning of the stats.

Of course, less than 10 teams have won a SB in the last 10 years simply because the Patriots have won multiple.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2019, 12:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's just it. 1 playoff game is what we want. We've elevated winning 1 single playoff game to mythical status. Like we need all of these rare circumstances to align to do it.

Yet...EVERY OTHER TEAM in the NFL has won one since we last did. And, all but like 3-4 other teams have won 5+. Some 70%+ of the league has made a Super Bowl appearance too since we last won a playoff game.

Yet here we are hoping for 1 single playoff win.

Yet, playoff wins aren't important apparently.

I dunno man... This isn't even directed at you personally because I think several people have repeated it as nauseum. One playoff win doesn't impress me. To tell you the truth if I wasn't in this board, and didn't have it hammered in my head, I wouldn't think much about it. The goal is to go all the way. But just getting to the playoffs was way more enjoyable than this mess.

Of course I remember both Super Bowl appearances, my alma mater has 2 national championships and has been to the final four a few times, I witnessed an NBA championship a few years back, the 1990 Reds... And oh yeah; there was that time I scored 4 TDs in highschool. Was it at Roosevelt High?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If
(12-14-2019, 08:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I will repeat my answer.  Maybe you will get it this time.

The talent level they had to work with makes no difference.  Johnson was coaching to win the same as taylor.  He only started two rookies.

If you think the Jimmy/Jerry combo is equal to Zac/Mike you’re reaching, as per usual. The trade the Cowboys made to jettison Walker was almost the same one Mike turned down to draft Akili Smith. The Boys had a plan. The Bengals have the model model, and have cratered back to the league basement after Marvin was let go. Mike and family are bums, period, and Taylor is in way over his head.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 09:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you read all of my posts you will see that I rip the front office a lot.  But I just complain about their football decisions.

I have a problem with the people here who insist we have been the absolute worst team in the entire league forever.  And I have a problem with the people who are not satisfied with saying the front office makes bad decisions, but instead make it personal.  It is childish to refer to the Browns as "the inbreds".  It is absurd to question why the league does not step in and take over the franchise.  But that is the type of shit I keep reading around here.

I just don't respect grown men who feel they have to lie, spin, and exaggerate just to make themselves bigger victims.  I am not a big fan of endless bitching and moaning.

The Bengals are deeply flawed.  We are on our fourth straight losing season, but before that we only had 4 losing seasons in 14 years.  As much as it pains some people here hate to admit that is far from the worst stretch in the league.
Oh c'mon now Fred..This is 2019 when endless bitching and moaning as the primary reason for the existence if the internet...not to mention just about every political party..especially with the lies, spin and exaggeration. If we didn't have endless bitching, moaning, faux victimhood, lies, spin and exaggeration where would Fox news be? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:31 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote:  
If you think the Jimmy/Jerry combo is equal to Zac/Mike you’re reaching, as per usual. 

I have some doubts, but you just think Johnson was a great NFL had coach because of hindsight.

In 1989 Jimmy had never even been on an NFL staff before and most Cowboy fans were convinced he was in over his head.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have some doubts, but you just think Johnson was a great NFL had coach because of hindsight.

In 1989 Jimmy had never even been on an NFL staff before and most Cowboy fans were convinced he was in over his head.

Jimmy did have a collegiate track record of sustained head coaching excellence, and Jones showed an initial willingness to do what it took to build a winning team. Zac has been a bad OC at several stops, and has never been a successful HC at any time. Jones went and made his fortune (like most NFL owners), then bought the team. Mike won the genetic lottery and had zero self-made business successes before taking over the franchise. The only thing Mike shares with Jerry is a collegiate football career and Jones’s predilection to self-sabotage and meddling.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have some doubts, but you just think Johnson was a great NFL had coach because of hindsight.

Johnson had been a Head Coach of a major college football program and led them to National Championship before he went to the NFL.

Taylor was a QB coach for 1 year with the Rams. An OC for what 5 games with the Dolphins. And a terrible OC at the U of Cincy for 1 year.

Hiring Johnson would be akin to us hiring Dabo Swinney. Yeah, he has no NFL experience...but he has coaching experience at a bigtime program.

A QB Coach...is making a jump of multiple levels.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 12:58 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Jimmy did have a collegiate track record of sustained head coaching excellence,

(12-15-2019, 07:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Johnson had been a Head Coach of a major college football program and led them to National Championship before he went to the NFL.

None of that matters.  Plenty of great college coaches have failed in the NFL.  The fact is that Cowboy fans had serious doubts about Johnson in 89 when the team went 1-15.  Many of them were still pissed that Landry had been fired.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of that matters.  Plenty of great college coaches have failed in the NFL.  The fact is that Cowboy fans had serious doubts about Johnson in 89 when the team went 1-15.  Many of them were still pissed that Landry had been fired.

What is the track record of HCing hires where the coach had 5 games of OC experience and was an Assistant WR coach 2 years before and a QB coach the year before?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What is the track record of HCing hires where the coach had 5 games of OC experience and was an Assistant WR coach 2 years before and a QB coach the year before?

I don't know of a single one who ever failed.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 10:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's all try to remember to keep our responses on the message, rather than the poster.

That’s impossible around here. Too much pointing out squeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 10:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the previous decade and a half the Bengals are in the top half of the league in wins; top ten in playoff appearances; and tied for 11th in Super Bowl Championships.

Tied for 11th in super bowl championships? With 0? Gtfo with that utterly worthless stat

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 08:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where do they rank in the last 4 years?

How about at 5 years? 

How about at 25 years? 30, 40, 50...

The number stated by the OP is significant since it represents the bulk of our head honcho's tenure. 50 years is significant because it covers the entirety of the franchise. 5 years, and less, is significant because it's recent.

15 years is arbitrary and picked entirely to support a narrative that is only meant to deflect warranted gripes. You could have at least gone with a nice round number like 20, which would have somewhat made your flawed point, but you're so desperate you throw out a cherry picked 15. 

Like no one can see you going out of your way to massage the numbers? It's embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for you. You look like a fool.

The fact is, no matter what numbers and years you pull, you can't argue that Mike's tenure has been a disaster. Whether or not you place a significant value on playoff wins, you can't argue that three decades without one isn't a tremendous failure. 

For you to get on here, day after day, to offer garbage takes like this one takes a lot of nerve. To try to defend this owner, and this front office is something else. And to still do it after this year, after all years? Shame on you!

We're 1-13. We've now gone 4 straight years without even a .500 season. We haven't advanced past the Wild Card round in 30 years. We've never won a Superbowl. If people want to vent then let them. If any fanbase has earned ir it's this one. And you'll bs 15 years, top half of the league (Yay!) isn't changing anyone's mind.

I think Fred is one of those troll accounts

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:57 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think Fred is one of those troll accounts

I think it's an acronym for a troll bot.

Frequently
Regurgitating
Erroneous
Data

[Image: th?id=OIP.Xmz9t-jlVXoNYYfAMVfU8AAAAA&pid...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 09:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree that most fans remember who wins (or makes it to) the Super Bowl more than anything.  But they also have  good feel for which teams are consistently good.  For example it has been about a decade since the Saints and Packers won their the Super Bowls. I have no idea how many playoff games they have won since then, but I know they have been pretty consistent winners.  On the other hand it has also ben close to a decade since the Giants won their last Super Bowl, but I know they have sucked since then.

I agree with that statement. I was referring more to, say, 20+ years from now.
For example, I couldn't tell you how many winning seasons or playoff games teams won in the 90s, but I could name most of the Super Bowl winners.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What is the track record of HCing hires where the coach had 5 games of OC experience and was an Assistant WR coach 2 years before and a QB coach the year before?

Andy Reid was a QB coach with zero experience as an OC when he became a head coach.

After his rookie year he has only had 2 losing seasons in 20 years making the playoffs 14 times.
Reply/Quote