Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Herbert sucks, Gordon sucks..
Are y'all ready to get on board with Joe Burrow, yet?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm convinced that trading down the is only answer, Sunset.

Dolphins are currently projected to have the 3rd pick, and have THREE first round picks in 2020, two in the second round, and then two picks in both the first and second round of 2021.

Trade down with them and take some of those picks as a king's ransom, and then take Chase Young at 3 if he's available. If he's not, then whomever you like best between Andrew Thomas (OT), Jerry Jeudy (WR), and Kenneth Murray (LB).

There's too many holes on this team to just straight up choose 1st overall. They can use that extra 1st round pick on Tua and stash him for a year while he heals up (Mariota as a 1-year bridge?) and use the extra 2nd round pick or two 2nd round picks on more OL and LBs.

If the Dolphins manage to get the 2nd overall pick, that would be better. A little less return, but then you're guaranteed Chase Young. I would rather have Chase Young AND Tua than just Burrow... or one of Thomas/Jeudy/Murray, Tua, and 1-2 2nd rounder LB/OL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It's Burrow or Young for me. Top two picks have separated themselves from the field. Burrow is heaving it like Carson Palmer. Would be nice if we could actually draft a 1st rounder with pro bowl talent...Young.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2019, 09:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are y'all ready to get on board with Joe Burrow, yet?

Been on board 

The way MB runs things there's just no hope with the whole trade players, trade down, back up stuff. Mike just doesn't roll that way.
Reply/Quote
Nah. I’m a huge Jordan love proponent. First option trade down. 2nd option? Take
Young get Jordan love. Sits for a year behind dalton.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 11:19 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Nah. I’m a huge Jordan love proponent. First option trade down. 2nd option? Take
Young get Jordan love. Sits for a year behind dalton.

There's a chance Jordan Love returns for his senior year. Since he has such an awful junior year his draft stock went from first round to late second early third losing millions. If he were to return even if he puts up another year like this one because of his physical attributes I dont believe his stock will fall further than it is right now but if he has another good year like his sophomore it could climb big time.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 07:56 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm convinced that trading down the is only answer, Sunset.

Dolphins are currently projected to have the 3rd pick, and have THREE first round picks in 2020, two in the second round, and then two picks in both the first and second round of 2021.

Trade down with them and take some of those picks as a king's ransom, and then take Chase Young at 3 if he's available. If he's not, then whomever you like best between Andrew Thomas (OT), Jerry Jeudy (WR), and Kenneth Murray (LB).

There's too many holes on this team to just straight up choose 1st overall. They can use that extra 1st round pick on Tua and stash him for a year while he heals up (Mariota as a 1-year bridge?) and use the extra 2nd round pick or two 2nd round picks on more OL and LBs.

If the Dolphins manage to get the 2nd overall pick, that would be better. A little less return, but then you're guaranteed Chase Young. I would rather have Chase Young AND Tua than just Burrow... or one of Thomas/Jeudy/Murray, Tua, and 1-2 2nd rounder LB/OL.

Kenneth Murray at 3. Yikes share what ur smoking
Reply/Quote
I know it's a year early but I'm not impressed by Justin Fields at all.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 03:35 PM)Synric Wrote: I know it's a year early but I'm not impressed by Justin Fields at all.

Weird, it's like they asked him to change what he's been doing so well, all season long.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If you're taking a QB first overall, it has to be Burrow. However, that being the case, perhaps another team will fall in love with him and offer a fortune in picks to move up and get him. I'm for that if it happens. Our front office is just about the dumbest in the league, so the likely wouldn't be smart enough to know a good deal if it bit them in the ass.

If Burrow is the guy, the first pick in 2 almost has to be a guard or RT. It would be criminal to invest that kind of draft capital in a quarterback and not make a serious effort to protect him. We have maybe 1 guard that should be starting on a NFL line in Miller, and he's nothing special, either.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 01:07 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Kenneth Murray at 3.  Yikes share what ur smoking

Not smoking anything, but watching Nick Vigil LB for the Bengals the last few years makes me wish I had been... and he's probably considered the best Bengals LB.

Best Player Available is great and all, until you realize you absolutely NEED to do something to fix the position that's been neglected for ages.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 06:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not smoking anything, but watching Nick Vigil LB for the Bengals the last few years makes me wish I had been... and he's probably considered the best Bengals LB.

Best Player Available is great and all, until you realize you absolutely NEED to do something to fix the position that's been neglected for ages.

While I agree with fixing LB, just not sure that Kenneth Murray is the guy.  He seems like a big fish in a small pond.  If he were among equal talents around him, he might seem rather average.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While I agree with fixing LB, just not sure that Kenneth Murray is the guy.  He seems like a big fish in a small pond.  If he were among equal talents around him, he might seem rather average.

I honestly don't know much about him, just that he was the top rated LB from what I saw, so I included his name. If he's not the guy, there is still Andrew Thomas at OT, and Jerry Jeudy at WR, both considered top-5 prospects from anywhere I have looked.

I just don't think the Bengals can come out of this draft using the 1st overall pick on a QB and thinking "that'll fix things!" they need more because otherwise you'll still have an OL of... 
Jonah Williams who has never played in the NFL
Bust Price
Trey Hopkins if he doesn't leave in FA
John Miller
Bobby Hart

...and having to watch that another year will make me sick. It also seems increasingly clear that AJ Green leaving in FA is a probability, and a WR group of Boyd/Ross/Tate doesn't do it for me. They also don't have a single starting quality LB on the entire roster. None of that is fixed by Burrow.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I honestly don't know much about him, just that he was the top rated LB from what I saw, so I included his name. If he's not the guy, there is still Andrew Thomas at OT, and Jerry Jeudy at WR, both considered top-5 prospects from anywhere I have looked.

I just don't think the Bengals can come out of this draft using the 1st overall pick on a QB and thinking "that'll fix things!" they need more because otherwise you'll still have an OL of... 
Jonah Williams who has never played in the NFL
Bust Price
Trey Hopkins if he doesn't leave in FA
John Miller
Bobby Hart

...and having to watch that another year will make me sick. It also seems increasingly clear that AJ Green leaving in FA is a probability, and a WR group of Boyd/Ross/Tate doesn't do it for me. They also don't have a single starting quality LB on the entire roster. None of that is fixed by Burrow.

No one pick is going to automatically fix the Bengals but they need a QB and the QB effects the game more than any other position on the field. Passing on a chance at a franchise star QB would be a huge mistake.

If Joe Burrow is the guy and it's looking like hes the best QB to come out in a few years you take him and build around him.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 08:42 PM)Synric Wrote: No one pick is going to automatically fix the Bengals but they need a QB and the QB effects the game more than any other position on the field. Passing on a chance at a franchise star QB would be a huge mistake.

If Joe Burrow is the guy and it's looking like hes the best QB to come out in a few years you take him and build around him.

And yet Top-10 QB picks are terribly dangerous.

Previous 5 years ('14-'18):
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Mitchell Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles

11 QBs taken in the Top 5, and you have 1 surefire franchise QB (Mahomes) who was chosen by a team that was coming off a 12-4 season and had 7 Pro Bowlers and 5 All-Pros just from that 12-4 team. He then sat out his first year where the team went 10-6. That's certainly not the type of set-up for success that the Bengals have for a QB right now. 

And... two more on that list who could possibly be franchise QBs in Wentz and Goff, though Wentz gets hurt and hasn't been particularly great this year (and his backup took his team to win a SB, so the team itself was good) and Goff who a year ago you'd say was a franchise QB but has really fallen off the map this year.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 09:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And yet Top-10 QB picks are terribly dangerous.

Previous 5 years ('14-'18):
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Mitchell Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles

11 QBs taken in the Top 5, and you have 1 surefire franchise QB (Mahomes) who was chosen by a team that was coming off a 12-4 season and had 7 Pro Bowlers and 5 All-Pros just from that 12-4 team. He then sat out his first year where the team went 10-6. That's certainly not the type of set-up for success that the Bengals have for a QB right now. 

And... two more on that list who could possibly be franchise QBs in Wentz and Goff, though Wentz gets hurt and hasn't been particularly great this year (and his backup took his team to win a SB, so the team itself was good) and Goff who a year ago you'd say was a franchise QB but has really fallen off the map this year.

We all know the numbers of drafting a successful franchise QB. It doesnt change the fact that it's the most important position and every team that doesnt have one will always be looking for one. If they believe Joe Burrow is a franchise QB you take him no matter what...

Quarterback is the most important position and effects the game more than any other position. Dont know why I have to keep repeating that...Because its basic facts.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:10 AM)Synric Wrote: We all know the numbers of drafting a successful franchise QB. It doesnt change the fact that it's the most important position and every team that doesnt have one will always be looking for one. If they believe Joe Burrow is a franchise QB you take him no matter what...

Quarterback is the most important position and effects the game more than any other position. Dont know why I have to keep repeating that...Because its basic facts.

Only if we're not counting Coaches as a position.

-Jim Harbaugh took Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick to a SB.
-Sean Payton has perennial top offenses and sure he has Brees, but they still were good even with Bridgewater. They trade away their top WR and just get a new one, they lose their top RB and just get a new one.
-John Harbaugh won a SB with Joe Flacco.
-Tom Coughlin won two SB with Eli Manning.
-Bill Belichick puts in Garappolo, Brissett, Cassel and don't miss a beat.

A great coach with a great scheme, who finds and collects players that fit that scheme (or creates a great scheme to play to the strengths of the players they already have) are worth way more. Case and point, Eli Manning has as many SB trophies as Peyton Manning does, and two more than Dan Marino.

If we had a competent HC/OC, I might not be adverse to grabbing a QB, but Taylor is terrible and is just going to ruin any QB the Bengals give him.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 06:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not smoking anything, but watching Nick Vigil LB for the Bengals the last few years makes me wish I had been... and he's probably considered the best Bengals LB.

Isiah Simmons would be the better option @ LB or SS.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 02:51 PM)J24 Wrote: Isiah Simmons would be the better option @ LB or SS.

The prospect lists that I've looked at have Simmons in the top 10, and Murray in the top 20.  Unless the Bengals trade back up into the 1st round, I don't see them drafting either of those guys.

A LB prospect that would be a good pick at the top of the 2nd might be Dylan Moses from Alabama.  Despite the ACL injury, having a MLB with 4.46 speed to pair with Pratt would cure a lot of things wrong with the Bengals defense. 

A bit of an opinion piece, but also some good info on Moses.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/11/07/2020-nfl-draft-injury-dylan-moses-lb1/

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 03:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The prospect lists that I've looked at have Simmons in the top 10, and Murray in the top 20.  Unless the Bengals trade back up into the 1st round, I don't see them drafting either of those guys.

A LB prospect that would be a good pick at the top of the 2nd might be Dylan Moses from Alabama.  Despite the ACL injury, having a MLB with 4.46 speed to pair with Pratt would cure a lot of things wrong with the Bengals defense. 

A bit of an opinion piece, but also some good info on Moses.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/11/07/2020-nfl-draft-injury-dylan-moses-lb1/

I've seen a lot of Murray in the second.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote