Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Who's Left?
I guess nothing ever came of the John Fox whispers?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I have been saying Aubrey Pleasant is an up and comer I would like to see get the job. However, I wonder if they just want experience for experience sake based on guys like Capers and Grantham being offered the job already. Also, if they are willing to go younger would Pleasant be willing to take the job. If he is next in line to replace Wade Phillips for that position or thinks he can leap straight to a Head Coach (like Zac Taylor did) then he might not want to leave the Rams and just used his interview to go through the process with the Bengals.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:37 AM)McC Wrote: Dark horse--Mike Nolan.

And for the next go around, could all the people involved keep their damn mouths shut until a deal is struck?

I like the idea of Mike Nolan. With the offer to Grantham though, I am thinking Zac is looking at the college ranks for possibly innovation or someone proven as a DC.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 12:12 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Oh i agree. I'm just trying to figure out why we are having such a hard time getting a DC in here and Marvin is sitting there and we know how Mike feels about Marvin ("He's my friend" - and Mike probably doesn't have many of those), and Marvin  made progress with that unit and well, you get the picture.

If I was Zac Taylor I wouldn't want Marvin back and I really doubt Marvin would take it.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:03 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I have been saying Aubrey Pleasant is an up and comer I would like to see get the job. However, I wonder if they just want experience for experience sake based on guys like Capers and Grantham being offered the job already. Also, if they are willing to go younger would Pleasant be willing to take the job. If he is next in line to replace Wade Phillips for that position or thinks he can leap straight to a Head Coach (like Zac Taylor did) then he might not want to leave the Rams and just used his interview to go through the process with the Bengals.

Where did you hear that Capers and Grantham were offered the job?

Thought they were just going to interview Capers and he turned it down.

Thought they just interviewed Grantham and it was mutual?

Am i missing something?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 12:46 PM)Okeana Wrote: I would rather have the defensive coordinator for Bobby Bushay in Waterboy than Marvin Lewis

[Image: revisiting-the-waterboy-adam-sandlers-le...quality=55]

We already had him in on Tuesday. He turned us down.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:06 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: If I was Zac Taylor I wouldn't want Marvin back and I really doubt Marvin would take it.

I'm not saying any of that should happen I can just see Mike thinking that way. If Marvin wasn't Marvin i would be all for it. Even excited about it. 

Now, does Mike have that filter? Doubt it

Reply/Quote
Jim Leavitt, who was the HC at USF for many successful years and was the current DC at Oregon under Mario Cristobal, resigned yesterday. He's also a 3-4 guy and has a long track record, but not so much in the NFL. Wonder if we're looking around at him.

I say just hire Pleasant already, but I guess that's not going to happen.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I dont mind them taking their time and getting the best guy for the job. I would’ve felt great about Del Rio, but im assuming he doesnt want to get back into coaching just yet. Id actually be pretty happy with Marv—and he would probably be the best guy for the job, especially considering he knows the personnel pretty well and could help in other areas as well. But, i dont see it happening. Pleasant sounds like the front runner and i dont know much about him. He sounds inexperienced, so who knows how it would turn out. Not sure what to expect out of this defense next year. Todd Bowles was another guy i liked but he was snatched up quickly too.

At this point, when there’s not a lot of options that are slam dunks, its best to take our time and pick the best candidate.
Reply/Quote
OMG, there's no one left..... (except for the next greatest DC no one has heard of yet)
Some people are already in game day mode and it's not even March.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Good gawd, people relax. The whole experience thing is getting way over blown around here, along with the Bengals are cheap and public perception is looking bad because we can't hire a DC... I'd rather they get this right, then just hire somebody to appease the fan base. The guys on staff already have plenty of experience, just by being around the game for awhile. With that said, I'd to see Pleasant get the job as DC. It is actually exciting to have a youthful staff and nobody knows what is coming at them next season
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:38 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Jim Leavitt, who was the HC at USF for many successful years and was the current DC at Oregon under Mario Cristobal, resigned yesterday. He's also a 3-4 guy and has a long track record, but not so much in the NFL. Wonder if we're looking around at him.

I say just hire Pleasant already, but I guess that's not going to happen.

How do you know we are not going to hire Pleasant? With the people we have interviewed, it has never been said we offered anyone a contract. Just interviewed them.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: OMG, there's no one left..... (except for the next greatest DC no one has heard of yet)
Some people are already in game day mode and it's not even March.... Hilarious

Rock On Thank you! 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How do you know we are not going to hire Pleasant? With the people we have interviewed, it has never been said we offered anyone a contract. Just interviewed them.

Grantham was offered. He turned it down. He's the only one of which I know who had an offer. 

If Pleasant has had an offer all this time, then he clearly doesn't want the gig or he'd have taken it already. 

I would love to hear they made Pleasant an offer today. 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Where did you hear that Capers and Grantham were offered the job?

Thought they were just going to interview Capers and he turned it down.

Thought they just interviewed Grantham and it was mutual?

Am i missing something?

Correct on all accounts Nate. I haven't heard of anyone being offered the job yet.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:46 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How do you know we are not going to hire Pleasant? With the people we have interviewed, it has never been said we offered anyone a contract. Just interviewed them.

After Grathams interview Tuesday he was back in the building Wednesday with news outlets reporting we were trying to get a deal done and it was Grathams job if he wanted it.

Del Rio was a discussion and mutual Agreement that it wouldn't work out.

Cappers I don't believe even took the interview.

We supposedly interviewed Pleasant last week but never heard official word he came here So maybe that was put on hold till after Gratham.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:03 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I have been saying Aubrey Pleasant is an up and comer I would like to see get the job. However, I wonder if they just want experience for experience sake based on guys like Capers and Grantham being offered the job already. Also, if they are willing to go younger would Pleasant be willing to take the job. If he is next in line to replace Wade Phillips for that position or thinks he can leap straight to a Head Coach (like Zac Taylor did) then he might not want to leave the Rams and just used his interview to go through the process with the Bengals.

as far as pleasant the word was we were interviewing sometime last week..

Was their ever any word the interview actually took place yet?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: as far as pleasant the word was we were interviewing sometime last week..

Was their ever any word the interview actually took place yet?

That's the big freaking mystery. I've read posts referencing in in past-tense but I can't find details anywhere.

Reply/Quote
I have heard a rumor that Rex Ryan is being considered.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Del Rio was ever anything serious. I think their 'phone interview' was more of a courtesy than anything else, being that they're both Lamonte guys and were just sort of testing the waters.

With Capers, he'll be 69 years old when the season starts and might not want to be a full-time DC at this point in his career, which could be why he didn't want the interview.

With Grantham, it was reported that his relationship with Mullen and he and his family's fondness of Gainesville were the deciding factors in him choosing to stay at Florida. Of course, I'm sure the extension and healthy pay raise didn't hurt either.  Ninja

I think all the overreaction as far as the DC void, doesn't match up with the reality of the situation. They'll find a guy that they want, and who wants to be here. Just gotta have a little patience.
Reply/Quote