Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Who's Left?
(02-14-2019, 11:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Welp, some smart guy may have been right about price possibly being an issue.  Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Then we just won't have one.  The players will coach themselves and we'll go 0 for the next ten years and get drummed out of the league.  Have I covered your hyperbole?  Good God.  Ease up on the gloom and doom, please.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Welp, some smart guy may have been right about price being an issue.  Mellow

Who is this chick anyway and why is she suddenly THE expert on the matter.  The one dude already proved her ass wrong.  Man, the amount of hand wringing is downright sickening.

I might just have to come back in September when the tears have dried.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:43 PM)McC Wrote: Who is this chick anyway and why is she suddenly THE expert on the matter.  The one dude already proved her ass wrong.  Man, the amount of hand wringing is downright sickening.

I might just have to come back in September when the tears have dried.

Man, it's all speculation at this point. I'm not jumping off a bridge, it's just something to talk about. Me saying "this doesn't look good" isn't me saying "welp, I may as well end my life...2019 is dead in the water". I'm just reacting to the news, which is hard to spin as positive at the moment.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 08:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know I'm in the minority, but I loved Rex with the Jets. I found him highly entertaining, good for the sport, and I respected that he was trying to pump his guys up.

Again, I know I'm in the minority on that though. 

I’m with you.

lets go get a ***** snack
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Welp, some smart guy may have been right about price possibly being an issue.  Mellow

Todd Grantham wouldn't have come to cincy if it wasnt a competive offer and UF wouldn't have had to offer more money to keep him if it wasnt a competitive offer.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Todd Grantham wouldn't have come to cincy if it wasnt a competive offer and UF wouldn't have had to offer more money to keep him if it wasnt a competitive offer.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
Some guys interview just to get more money from their current team too.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some guys interview just to get more money from their current team too.

So you are saying the Bengals offered him 600k less than UF and that scared them into offering him more money?

I doubt it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:57 PM)Synric Wrote: So you are saying the Bengals offered him 600k less than UF and that scared them into offering him more money?

I doubt it.

I said nothing about salary. No one knows what he was offered. My guess is that it would have been more than he made at Florida.

But, it's not like he has to take the offer directly to them and show them. It happens a lot in college where a coach gets and offer and it gets raised.

Does it make you feel better to think that he turned us down because of an aging defensive line and poor linebackers?

It's getting insane on here. Coaches don't get hired and people want to put out press that the Bengals passed on them. Or that we offerred them a lot of money.

No matter how you slice it, we're down to candidate number 5 or 6...which is INSANE.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I said nothing about salary. No one knows what he was offered. My guess is that it would have been more than he made at Florida.

But, it's not like he has to take the offer directly to them and show them. It happens a lot in college where a coach gets and offer and it gets raised.

Does it make you feel better to think that he turned us down because of an aging defensive line and poor linebackers?

It's getting insane on here. Coaches don't get hired and people want to put out press that the Bengals passed on them. Or that we offerred them a lot of money.

No matter how you slice it, we're down to candidate number 5 or 6...which is INSANE.

He turned them down for more money he leveraged it out of UF. He's joined lesser programs with alot less talent I seriously doubt he turned the Bengals down because of the roster. 

It was impossible to judge the Bengals defensive roster in less than a day...

He could look up their pff scores lol. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:06 AM)Synric Wrote: He turned them down for more money he leveraged it out of UF. He's joined lesser programs with alot less talent I seriously doubt he turned the Bengals down because of the roster. 

Dehner said it was due to aging defensive line and poor LB's not suitable for a 3-4.

At any rate...he's not here. And neither is Glenn.

On to the next guy...
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 11:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m with you.

lets go get a ***** snack

He was funny - sometimes unintentionally - but man was he charismatic. He had their focus and attention.

(02-14-2019, 11:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Todd Grantham wouldn't have come to cincy if it wasnt a competive offer and UF wouldn't have had to offer more money to keep him if it wasnt a competitive offer.

Idk man. From what I've seen through the years, you meet to discuss whether you're a fit, THEN you talk $$$, not the other way around.

I'm not saying we definitely low balled him, but it's a possibility. Especially when you've got rumors floating that $750k is what we're looking to spend. 

As for Florida offering him a raise, that doesn't necessarily mean the Bengals offer was close. The NFL brings with it potential for Grantham to be a HC again. So just threatening Florida with leaving for an NFL team could've gotten them to bring out more money...regardless of what Cincy offered. Of course, on the flip side of this, it's possible that Grantham simply used the Bengals as leverage to get a bigger payday. So maybe the amount of our offer was moot.

Again, all speculation.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 02:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He was funny - sometimes unintentionally - but man was he charismatic. He had their focus and attention.

Idk man. From what I've seen through the years, you meet to discuss whether you're a fit, THEN you talk $$$, not the other way around.

I'm not saying we definitely low balled him, but it's a possibility. Especially when you've got rumors floating that $750k is what we're looking to spend. 

As for Florida offering him a raise, that doesn't necessarily mean the Bengals offer was close. The NFL brings with it potential for Grantham to be a HC again. So just threatening Florida with leaving for an NFL team could've gotten them to bring out more money...regardless of what Cincy offered. Of course, on the flip side of this, it's possible that Grantham simply used the Bengals as leverage to get a bigger payday. So maybe the amount of our offer was moot.

Again, all speculation.

Didn't you post a tweet from crazy Becky about a lowball offer that Fletcher Page debunked that she chose to ignore and wasn't  the 750 a number she pulled out of her empty head?

And didn't she also say Rex would never work for what the Bengals would pay?

Personally, I don't think money would be the deciding factor for Rex.  He wants to coach and nobody else is calling.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:47 PM)McC Wrote: Didn't you post a tweet from crazy Becky about a lowball offer that Fletcher Page debunked that she chose to ignore and wasn't  the 750 a number she pulled out of her empty head?

Personally, I don't think money would be the deciding factor for Rex.  He wants to coach and nobody else is calling.

I would love to have Rex. Just give him a decent salary and a subscription to Fancy Feet Magazine and he'll come running. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:06 AM)Synric Wrote: He turned them down for more money he leveraged it out of UF. He's joined lesser programs with alot less talent I seriously doubt he turned the Bengals down because of the roster. 

Yeah, he was able to leverage the Bengals offer/interest into an extension and pay raise at Florida. Before he talked about the roster as being the reason, he had cited Mullen, family and Gainesville as the factors why he stayed. Then his new deal with UF was announced the following day. 

I'm not sure how serious he was about coming to Cincinnati in the first place. Sounds like he wanted to stay in Florida all along, and negotiating with the Bengals led to UF sweetening his deal there.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:57 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I would love to have Rex. Just give him a decent salary and a subscription to Fancy Feet Magazine and he'll come running. 

Bingo.  And he has always struck me as not afraid of  challenge.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 01:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, he was able to leverage the Bengals offer/interest into an extension and pay raise at Florida. Before he talked about the roster as being the reason, he had cited Mullen, family and Gainesville as the factors why he stayed. Then his new deal with UF was announced the following day. 

I'm not sure how serious he was about coming to Cincinnati in the first place. Sounds like he wanted to stay in Florida all along, and negotiating with the Bengals led to UF sweetening his deal there.

Maybe he just wanted to see a polar vortex up close.   Sixty degrees one day, twenty the next.

Reply/Quote
Monte Kiffin is 79 but still on the Florida Atlantic staff as a "defensive assistant".
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 12:47 PM)McC Wrote: Didn't you post a tweet from crazy Becky about a lowball offer that Fletcher Page debunked that she chose to ignore and wasn't  the 750 a number she pulled out of her empty head?

I didn't post that tweet, someone else did (Pistons) and I quoted him. To me, it looked like Rebecca was answering a question, so I'm not sure where you're getting that someone debunked her. I think you read the tweets in the wrong order. Basically she made a claim about money being an issue, a guy replied saying "where are you getting your info, I heard money wasn't an issue" and she ended it by saying some beat writers were saying $750k is what the Bengals were offering.

As for Rex, I'd love to have him, but I don't know whether or not money would be an issue. I do know he's been doing media stuff and maybe he's happy with that. If not, again, I'd love to have him.
Reply/Quote