Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
So how do we fix the defense for next season?
So how do hypothesis Duke, Lou, and Zac will fix this defense? Or perhaps you think we should fire Lou?

Starting 3T , starting NT , and Nickle LB have to be addressed in free agency or via trade. Additionally I think we should look to add a true FS and move Dax to Nickleback/Joker. At least on 3rd downs!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Sometimes making repairs merely requires turning a wrench. Other times it requires a wrecking ball.

I suggest the latter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
DT has to be the biggest need. Jer'Zhan Newton might be there right around where we pick, too.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: DT has to be the biggest need. Jer'Zhan Newton might be there right around where we pick, too.

I agree. They need some big, talented bodies up front with a mean streak. Clog the running lanes, and generate more pressure. The rest should fall in line.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Send Nick Scott back to being loss prevention at Walmart.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:50 PM)Destro Wrote: Send Nick Scott back to being loss prevention at Walmart.

He’s barely played on defense for the last 6 weeks.

Reply/Quote
I think the scheme has to change
Drop the 4 2 5 . Go back to the 4 3
And find a LB that can completely wreck
Havoc at the 1st and 2nd levels
Get a LB you can line up all around be
A Micah Parsons type. Need a DT that can
Disrupt the pocket create double teams
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 04:04 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think the scheme has to change
A Micah Parsons type
. Need a DT that can

That should be easy. LOL

Reply/Quote
Lou Anarumo Bengals Defenses...

2019: 29th overall / 25th scoring
2020: 26th overall / 22nd scoring
2021: 18th overall / 17th scoring
2022: 16th overall / 6th scoring
2023: 31st overall / 21st scoring

He absolutely had some amazing second half adjustments to shut down the Chiefs in some big games and that got him some real hype, but by and large this year is actually a LOT closer to what has been the norm for him. Last year's defense not being below-average is actually the outlier, and they have poured an absolutely huge amount of resources into the defense while he's been here.

Keep in mind he's 57, has been coaching for 34 years, and the Bengals are the first time he's been a non-interim DC since 1994 with the US Merchant Marine Academy (a Div III school). He might have simply peaked as a DB Coach and everyone else with hiring powers has recognized it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s barely played on defense for the last 6 weeks.

He has barely played defense since he put on a Bengals uniform.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 04:30 PM)Destro Wrote: He has barely played defense since he put on a Bengals uniform.

You’re not wrong. LOL

But thankfully they’ve phased him out on defense at this point. It’s Battle’s spot now.

Reply/Quote
1st off Fire Lou. Was never ever a fan of his bend and don’t break style of defense. It didn’t bode well at the end of the 1st half or close games where teams needed a Fg to win. His scheme largely relies on his players to bail him out with opportunistic plays instead of a wholesale physical team style of defense. No identity whatsoever. There’s a ton of times where his play call doesn’t make sense for the down and distance as though he’s just conceding the 1st down to start all over again.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 04:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You’re not wrong. LOL

But thankfully they’ve phased him out on defense at this point. It’s Battle’s spot now.

About time. I've been really enthusiastic about our secondary for years. Chido just breaks my heart. So many young guns back there. Hopefully, I think they improve as time goes on.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 04:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lou Anarumo Bengals Defenses...

2019: 29th overall / 25th scoring
2020: 26th overall / 22nd scoring
2021: 18th overall / 17th scoring
2022: 16th overall / 6th scoring
2023: 31st overall / 21st scoring

Get rid of Lou. That averages out to 24th overall and 18th scoring, not even middle of the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Not just defense. But move on from Lou, move on from Pollack. Add proven Safety , need reader back or sign his replacement. Also need another LB. Pratt is not good for 3 downs. He needs to be a 2 down Lb
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 04:04 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think the scheme has to change
A Micah Parsons type. Need a DT that can

This guy.... 

Draft a Micah Parson type..... not even going to address this silliness.

LBs like Micah play in 3-4 defenses, we do not have the personnel to play a 3-4.

A DT that can disrupt the pocket... every single NFL team wants that.

This is a passing league thus the 4-2-5, we do at times employ a 3rd LB with ADG.

Most importantly, lets try to be realistic.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:31 PM)J24 Wrote: Starting 3T , starting NT , and Nickle LB have to be addressed in free agency or via trade.

(12-24-2023, 05:26 PM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Also need another LB. Pratt is not good for 3 downs. He needs to be a 2 down Lb

You guys know that Logan Wilson has the most interceptions for a LB the last 4 years right? And that Pratt was the highest graded LB in pass coverage last season right?

They both have struggled this season for whatever reason.

Firing Lou is not an option for this franchise.

Reply/Quote
Well, we need a replacement for DJ Reader for one. I am willing to kick my Christmas wish down the road to April to the draft. We need another Reader or Atkins in this next draft. Could also use another Vontaze Burfect type. No team in the AFC North respects our defense. Give me a mean, dirty player like Pittsburgh usually gets
They feared Burfect. We need that type of player here. Baltimore had Ray Lewis, which about decapitated Chad Johnson one time. We need that back on our defense. Yes, Burfect was a thug, yes, he was a malcontent, yes, he was a trouble maker, yes, he got suspended but he was ours. Nobody wanted him in the draft because of the way he was but I bet in hind sight, Pittsburgh or Baltimore would have drafted him. He was that type. Greg Olson once said that Burfect was going to kill someone on the field. I don't know about that but we sure could use someone that gets into the heads of our opponents.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 06:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You guys know that Logan Wilson has the most interceptions for a LB the last 4 years right?  And that Pratt was the highest graded LB in pass coverage last season right?

They both have struggled this season for whatever reason.

Firing Lou is not an option for this franchise.

I all want is Pratt to go back to being a 2 down player. A role in which he excelled  at just last season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Better defensive line play. The big 4 have been solid if unspectacular but the 40% of the snaps they aren't in thr game stand out.

BJ Hill and Zach Carter will be the starting pair going forward and I expect thr Chiefs and Browns to run right at them until the Bengals are forced to play more guys in the box then take the 1 on 1 shots on the sideline... just like the Steelers did yesterday.

Bengals will need to attack the IDL in Free Agency & the Draft both.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote