Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what’s next?
How can you take the "race" out of "racecars"?
(06-15-2020, 02:06 PM)Dill Wrote: It's our "heritage."   LMAO

We can make a very long list of things that were active in the US longer than the Confederacy.

My first contribution:

Game of thrones 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-15-2020, 03:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We can make a very long list of things that were active in the US longer than the Confederacy.

My first contribution:

Game of thrones 

I've seen those lists going around.  I'll never understand the guys around here who have never been further south than Morgantown, WV who think they're "southern boys".

Last Week Tonight did a good segment on the Confederacy two years ago.  I caught it again last night on YouTube as a suggested video right after the one I posted on the police.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(06-16-2020, 12:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: I've seen those lists going around.  I'll never understand the guys around here who have never been further south than Morgantown, WV who think their "southern boys".

I am always baffled when I see a rebel flag up there when visiting.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-16-2020, 03:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am always baffled when I see a rebel flag up there when visiting.

Im in NW PA and there are confederate flags all over the place up here.  A house a mile from me has 3 flag poles with the American flag the Confederate flag and a trump flag.
Humans are doomed.

“This spring, after the World Health Organization warned that the pandemic could spread swiftly when children gathered for shots, many countries suspended their inoculation programs. Even in countries that tried to keep them going, cargo flights with vaccine supplies were halted by the pandemic and health workers diverted to fight it.

Now, diphtheria is appearing in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.

Cholera is in South Sudan, Cameroon, Mozambique, Yemen and Bangladesh.

A mutated strain of poliovirus has been reported in more than 30 countries.

And measles is flaring around the globe, including in Bangladesh, Brazil, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Nigeria and Uzbekistan.

As the pandemic lingers, the W.H.O. and other international public health groups are now urging countries to carefully resume vaccination while contending with the coronavirus.”

NY Times, June 14 2020
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(06-16-2020, 05:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Humans are doomed.

“This spring, after the World Health Organization warned that the pandemic could spread swiftly when children gathered for shots, many countries suspended their inoculation programs. Even in countries that tried to keep them going, cargo flights with vaccine supplies were halted by the pandemic and health workers diverted to fight it.

Now, diphtheria is appearing in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.

Cholera is in South Sudan, Cameroon, Mozambique, Yemen and Bangladesh.

A mutated strain of poliovirus has been reported in more than 30 countries.

And measles is flaring around the globe, including in Bangladesh, Brazil, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Nigeria and Uzbekistan.

As the pandemic lingers, the W.H.O. and other international public health groups are now urging countries to carefully resume vaccination while contending with the coronavirus.”

NY Times, June 14 2020

Or... we just have instant global news coverage, so we are just more aware of how many things are simultaneously happening when we would never have known in the past. Probably also combined with there actually being doctors in all the countries around the world now who can recognize when an outbreak is happening and what the outbreak is of.

Same with violent crimes in the US. It's much better than it used to be, but the coverage of it has been increased by that much more as well, so it just gives everyone the impression it's worse.

There's a limit to how much bad information a human is capable of handling in a set period of time and 24/7 news coverage and social media has rocketed us straight past it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Of course one of the "next" is removing statues of Confederate Leaders. Although, I find that to be a bit much at times; I can understand why many feel that way. WTS, this one is a different matter:
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/remove-the-emancipation-statue?fbclid=IwAR3nrgQtPNvMmsD20XHbvHxykWyqwQhI4lSPsE7rVzK_zKgrt1NtFWSvpZ4

[Image: aa5e72be6d5ac514f6ccc4288be3ce17.jpg]

That needs to be removed immediately and placed in a museum. As does the one in DC. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-16-2020, 08:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course one of the "next" is removing statues of Confederate Leaders. Although, I find that to be a bit much at times; I can understand why many feel that way. WTS, this one is a different matter:
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/remove-the-emancipation-statue?fbclid=IwAR3nrgQtPNvMmsD20XHbvHxykWyqwQhI4lSPsE7rVzK_zKgrt1NtFWSvpZ4

That needs to be removed immediately and placed in a museum. As does the one in DC. 

I'm from a small town where the annual celebration regularly involves the Confederate flag. Where there's one flying every few miles.

And, generally, I don't understand why we spend do many resources celebrating a failed rebellion while at the same time celebrating the country it rebelled against. The guys who fly both flags seem like they don't understand what they're doing. Like wearing a Browns Jersey and wearing a Bengals cap. 
(06-17-2020, 10:23 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm from a small town where the annual celebration regularly involves the Confederate flag. Where there's one flying every few miles.

And, generally, I don't understand why we spend do many resources celebrating a failed rebellion while at the same time celebrating the country it rebelled against. The guys who fly both flags seem like they don't understand what they're doing. Like wearing a Browns Jersey and wearing a Bengals cap. 

Toss in the Nazi flag and some folks look like people who root for all the teams in the AFC North. 
(06-16-2020, 08:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course one of the "next" is removing statues of Confederate Leaders. Although, I find that to be a bit much at times; I can understand why many feel that way. WTS, this one is a different matter:

Given the reason those statues were erected, they should've been destroyed 60 years ago.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/503390-trump-says-he-made-juneteenth-very-famous

“I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous,” Trump told the Journal in an interview Wednesday, referencing the news coverage of the planned rally that was moved to a later date. “It’s actually an important event, an important time. But nobody had ever heard of it.”
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-18-2020, 01:42 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/503390-trump-says-he-made-juneteenth-very-famous

“I did something good: I made Juneteenth very famous,” Trump told the Journal in an interview Wednesday, referencing the news coverage of the planned rally that was moved to a later date. “It’s actually an important event, an important time. But nobody had ever heard of it.

Know what you mean Donald. 

Can't think of a single white friend who has ever mentioned this.   Now they all know.

No one has done more for "the blacks."
(06-17-2020, 10:23 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm from a small town where the annual celebration regularly involves the Confederate flag. Where there's one flying every few miles.

Kind of like us Yanks flying a British flag with an American flag--cuz it's part of our "heritage." LMAO

I think since the 1960s the Stars 'n Bars has come more and more to signify resistance to "big government" and individualism, especially among people who don't follow history all that much. It was the flag of "rebels" and by god, they are rebellious and independent too!

That said, I do have relatives in Texas who DEFINITELY see a CONFEDERATE flag and want it honored to honor that defunct government. Some of the older ones talk as if the state were still "occupied" by the US gov. That's a minority view even there, though.
Because their heritage is about state's rights...to hang minorities that get too uppity.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/06/nascar-bubba-wallace-talladega-noose-reaction-lebron-dale-jr
https://www.yahoo.com/news/predominantly-black-armed-protesters-march-053912470.html

Quote:A predominantly Black group of heavily armed protesters marched through Stone Mountain Park near Atlanta on Saturday, calling for removal of the giant Confederate rock carving at the site that civil rights activists consider a monument to racism.....
One video clip showed a leader of the demonstrators, who was not identified, shouting into a loudspeaker in a challenge to white supremacists who historically have used Stone Mountain as a rallying spot of their own.

"I don't see no white militia," he declared. "We're here. Where ... you at? We're in your house. Let's go."

It was reported that the demonstration was peaceful but when you show up armed and throw down a challenge I don't think peace is your motive. 

(07-05-2020, 12:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/predominantly-black-armed-protesters-march-053912470.html

It was reported that the demonstration was peaceful but when you show up armed and throw down a challenge I don't think peace is your motive. 

This guy doesn't agree.

[Image: 5969fca5-0205-428e-9821-78e50dc1f654-GTY...&auto=webp]

Just exercising his 1st and 2nd amendment rights.   ThumbsUp
(07-05-2020, 12:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: This guy doesn't agree.

[Image: 5969fca5-0205-428e-9821-78e50dc1f654-GTY...&auto=webp]

Just exercising his 1st and 2nd amendment rights.   ThumbsUp

OK?