Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So what exactly is our plan for Wide Receiver?
(03-09-2016, 01:36 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Toast with a reasonable free agency take????? What in holy hell is happening in this world?

I almost always call for players than have deals that total under 20 mil.

I don't know how many times I can tell people I don't want to ink mega-deals in FA.
Reply/Quote
I'd sign Boldin (maybe another vet too.) and bring in some young blood via draft. Let Boldin man the ship opposite of Green for a year or two until one of the young guys have developed enough to take the wheel. Between Boldin and Green we should be able to get the job done on the field and have great leadership for rookies to look up to and learn from.

I wanted Boldin even if we kept Jones. He'd have the best hands this team has seen since Housh.
Reply/Quote
Good options who have been cut - age in ():

Mike Wallace (30 in August)
James Jones (32 on March 31st)
Marques Colston (33 in June)
Roddy White (35 in November)
Brandon Lafell (30 in November)
Riley Cooper (29 in September)
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I almost always call for players than have deals that total under 20 mil.

I don't know how many times I can tell people I don't want to ink mega-deals in FA.

I will vouch for that.

BTW, I wonder who the mega-deals will be for this year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We need him back.  We can't have 2 holes at WR.   We need expierence.

Experience is great, but I think they would survive nicely without Sanu.  He had some good games when Green went down in 2014, and there were no other options, but he seems to disappear for games at a time.  2014 was the only year he has ever had more than 500 receiving yards and he only has 11 touchdowns in his entire career.

Pick up a veteran free agent and draft someone early this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good options who have been cut - age in ():

I truly hope this team goes nowhere near Riley Cooper.  He is not a very good receiver, and even less of a human being.  Not to mention with his mouth and opinions, Burfict might literally kill him... then we're down a wide receiver and a linebacker...
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:39 PM)Okeana Wrote: Hey guys I really wouldn't get too worked up about this because honestly Detroit paid way too much for a guy who's considered by many a second receiver. 
And they already have Golden Tate.  Man, if my team went from having Calvin Johnson, to  marvin jones, I'd be so pissed.

I always thought Jones was rather overrated.  He benefited immensely from the weapons around him, coaching, and sheer volume in the passing attack.  He was way inconsistent to see that amount of coin.  IMHO, anything over 6 mil, and 15 mil guaranteed, is overpaying.

How the hell can you pay 40 mil to a guy who's never hit 1,000 yards in a season?  Never even hit 900 yards.  Craziness.  Might as well take a few mil behind the stadium and burn it, while you're at it.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:43 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Experience is great, but I think they would survive nicely without Sanu.  He had some good games when Green went down in 2014, and there were no other options, but he seems to disappear for games at a time.  2014 was the only year he has ever had more than 500 receiving yards and he only has 11 touchdowns in his entire career.

Pick up a veteran free agent and draft someone early this year.

I'm on board with this. Sanu can't really separate and I think we can get a equal replacement for less in free agency.  Draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd.  Remember we do hopefully get James Wright back who looked promising before the injury in 14'. 
[Image: 29p43f6.png]

Quote:"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good options who have been cut - age in ():

Based on this list Marvin Jones hit free agency at the perfect time.  Of that list, I may entertain Wallace.  Colston if I absolutely had to.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:40 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I almost always call for players than have deals that total under 20 mil.

I want to sign Mack to a 7 year $100 million contract Tongue
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Brandon Lafell or Mike Wallace on cheap deal then draft a Kenny Lawer in the third round.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How is Mike Wallace like Antonio Bryant?  He's actually had more than one decent year, and last I checked, he's not coming off an IR season.  He's probably looking at making less than 5 mil per on a short deal.  Account for inflation and he'll be had for well less than half of what Bryant saw.

And fwiw, I HATED the Antonio Bryant deal from day 1.  It was actually when I first joined the boards.  Argued for weeks and weeks with people about how we should have went with Boldin.

I hated the Bryant signing because I was on the "get TO" wagon from day 1.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:48 PM)Paul from Dayton Wrote: I'm on board with this. Sanu can't really separate and I think we can get a equal replacement for less in free agency.  Draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd.  Remember we do hopefully get James Wright back who looked promising before the injury in 14'. 

I would sincerely hope they are not relying on either James Wright or Alford to fill in the holes... they are both late round picks and Wright is coming back from a serious knee injury.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:51 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Based on this list Marvin Jones hit free agency at the perfect time.  Of that list, I may entertain Wallace.  Colston if I absolutely had to.

This is exactly the case and the biggest reason he's getting a contract that's almost double his worth. With Alshon franchised any desperate teams only viable option was Jones. Also lets hope Johnson comes out of retirement and we somehow get him from Detroit right?  LMAO where's that damn eye rolling emote
Reply/Quote
Quite a few teams make it work with a lot less than what we got right now. Just study NE, rip their plays off. Brady would probably turn Burkhead into Welker/Amendola /Edelman.

Reply/Quote
Also God damnit I thought people were talking about Antonio Brown I was thinking why are people complaining or praising a Steelers signing and why are some people acting like we had signed him. I guess one forgets players that couldn't even get on the field. Now that I remember who we are talking about I was iffy about that signing. Neither loved nor hated it.
Reply/Quote
Based on the front page article, it sure seems like the Bengals were in the ballpark with respect to money on Marvin Jones. May lead one to conclude that they are at least willing to entertain a solid offer to someone like Wallace.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Iloka-returns-for-five-years-Marvin-heads-to-Detroit-/177b32f2-f3a5-432f-97c2-56a0f5e6a6b4
Reply/Quote
We all better hope Jerome Simpson doesn't get released by San Fran. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. (he had 5 catches less year)

I'm not joking with this. Knowing this team, if that ***** gets released, they'll be on him like white on rice.
Reply/Quote
Given this team's failures with free agent WR, I wouldn't be shocked to see them go with whatever guy they draft across from AJ - which isn't bad considering you have Eifert as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:56 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Quite a few teams make it work with a lot less than what we got right now. Just study NE, rip their plays off. Brady would probably turn Burkhead into Welker/Amendola /Edelman.

Only problem is that Brady is probably the greatest quarterback to ever play in the NFL.  While I am happy with Dalton, he is nowhere near GOAT status...
Reply/Quote