Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So what exactly is our plan for Wide Receiver?
(03-09-2016, 03:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It's literally not a dilemma. When you have the best receiver in the league (megatron retired), the second best TE in the league and perhaps the best scat back in the league, the value of a number 2 receiver drops drastically. There are plenty of guys in the draft and FA that can fill that void. Also since we drafted the two tackles last year, we can expand our search for this mystery WR because we don't have to worry about bringing in some rookie tackle at an inopportune moment. 

Not a severe dilemma, but when your #2 and #3 WR are set to walk, and you supposedly have a "draft, develop, and retain" philosophy, then to not address the position early in the draft with such a low rookie wage scale is plain dumb!

Ogbuehi had a 3rd round grade because of his knee, and could of been easily had later with a marquis WR in the first!!
Reply/Quote
I don't see anybody mentioning Andre Johnson who could really fit our team well.  We could get him for a really cheap price put him in as a number 2 and not only does he have good hands but he also has good blocking skills and could assist us in the Run game.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:14 PM)Okeana Wrote: I don't see anybody mentioning Andre Johnson who could really fit our team well.  We could get them for a really cheap price put them in as a number 2 and not only does he have good hands but he also has good blocking skills and could assist us in the Run game.

Be all for him if he still has something in the tank, might be better than Sanu already if he has something left.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:07 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think that I would prefer an early round receiver and a veteran cornerback if we lose the rest of the free agents.  I don't feel like this team has done a very good job of drafting early round cornerbacks since Hall and Joseph.  Add is we really don't know what we have in Dennard, or if he will be healthy, and that is a position that really scares me.  Not saying receiver doesn't, but Green and Eifert are on the roster...

Well if we lose Pacman, that could change things a bit. Corners and WRs are similar in that rookies have a tough time seeing the field. 

I'm not sure what the CB market looks like, tbh. I've been assuming Pacman would come back.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Stating the obvious here, but if were to go the veteran FA route, don't expect us to make any moves for a few weeks. They'll let the dust settle (let the market value decrease) and grab someone then (pick up scraps and hope it's a good fit).

In the meantime, name after name will fall off the board, while many of us (myself definitely included) will be wondering why we're waiting so long to make a move.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Stating the obvious here, but if were to go the veteran FA route, don't expect us to make any moves for a few weeks.  They'll let the dust settle (let the market value decrease) and grab someone then (pick up scraps and hope it's a good fit).

In the meantime, name after name will fall off the board, while many of us (myself definitely included) will be wondering why we're waiting so long to make a move.

You are probably right going off of history.

Maybe the loss of 2 receivers might get them looking a little earlier though at Wideouts. Hope so anyway.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well if we lose Pacman, that could change things a bit. Corners and WRs are similar in that rookies have a tough time seeing the field. 

I'm not sure what the CB market looks like, tbh. I've been assuming Pacman would come back.

a rookie CB isn't going to play much on this roster with or without Pacman. 
Not sure why people think it's an immediate top need.

Dennard, Kirk and Shaw are your starting 3. 
CLew will be back for 4th. 

a rookie is likely looking at 5th CB. 

A rookie WR is essentially a lock to be the 3/4 WR at worst. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: a rookie CB isn't going to play much on this roster with or without Pacman. 

Probably cause Kirkpatrick was down right trrrble last season and we have not seen if Dennard can
even stay healthy. Your NB is pretty much a starter. I liked what i saw from Shaw last year but we
need to atleast bring back Adam or Hall and open up the Draft IMO.

Bring back Adam, seriously dude. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Probably cause Kirkpatrick was down right trrrble last season and we have not seen if Dennard can
even stay healthy. Your NB is pretty much a starter. I liked what i saw from Shaw last year but we
need to atleast bring back Adam or Hall and open up the Draft IMO.

Bring back Adam, seriously dude. Mellow

Kirk wasn't nearly as bad as people say. 
It was a few bad plays here and there. And a handful of very bad calls by officials. 
Reply/Quote
I see a lot of people suggesting these old veterans. I don't see us doing that at all. Maybe if we also lost Sanu and missed a top WR in the draft .

This will easily be a multiple WR draft and one probably being in round 1 so we can get that 5th year and stagger the WR's.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: a rookie CB isn't going to play much on this roster with or without Pacman. 

Might not be as much about need as where the Bengals tend to consider first round priority.  The big two, assuming AJ Green is not there, are T and CB.  Doesn't seem like they would be thinking CB unless the value is insane.  But if they did take one, would that be a statement about DreK and/or Dennard?  It would seem like a luxury type pick unless they aren't happy with what they have.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I see a lot of people suggesting these old veterans.     I don't see us doing that at all.    Maybe if we also lost Sanu and missed a top WR in the draft .  

This will easily be a multiple WR draft and one probably being in round 1 so we can get that 5th year and stagger the WR's.

People are suggesting a veteran receiver on top of an early draft pick because the Bengals don't like to depend on a rookie being a starter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

After Marvin referring to him as the "best rookie corner" he had ever seen, Dennard was not able to get much playing time.  Add in the question of the shoulder and how healthy he will be, corner could be a big need on this team.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:31 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Kirk wasn't nearly as bad as people say. 
It was a few bad plays here and there. And a handful of very bad calls by officials. 

Maybe not nearly as bad as some people say but it was hardly a good year for Dre.

There was some bad calls for sure, but still, not a good year and we need to bring back
Adam who was clearly our best CB last season. CB is never a bad position to add onto
especially when we have some questions at the position even after all of these 1st round
picks. Dre hardly played like a 1st rounder last year...

(03-09-2016, 03:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I see a lot of people suggesting these old veterans.     I don't see us doing that at all.    Maybe if we also lost Sanu and missed a top WR in the draft .  

This is a slow Draft for receivers and a guy like Mike Wallace is fast.

Same with Rishard Matthews, we need some speed to replace MLJ.
Reply/Quote

Relying on rookies is exactly what we don't do

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:38 PM)Okeana Wrote: Relying on rookies is exactly what we don't do

not a good draft for it either unless Corey Coleman falls to us.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:38 PM)Okeana Wrote: Relying on rookies is exactly what we don't do

Well we did go into 2012 with Binns (unproven) and a couple rookies at WR2.

That said, we struggled at WR2 for that entire season and hopefully our FO learned something from that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:08 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: Not a severe dilemma, but when your #2 and #3 WR are set to walk, and you supposedly have a "draft, develop, and retain" philosophy, then to not address the position early in the draft with such a low rookie wage scale is plain dumb!

Ogbuehi had a 3rd round grade because of his knee, and could of been easily had later with a marquis WR in the first!!

He did not have a 3rd round grade. He had a 1st round grade and because of his knee, he could slide as far as the 3rd round. Don't fret over it, he will be good. The Bengals did it right with him, it's the 2nd round where things got all messed up. Miami jumps right in front of us and drafts the DT that we were going to draft, putting us in a bad spot and BPA was Fisher at that time.

And they haven't been ignoring the WR spot, they've been drafting late round guys, but none have worked out so far. So this year we will have to invest a higher pick in one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: not a good draft for it either unless Corey Coleman falls to us.

There's some decent ones.  The speed was down this year, to be sure.  But there are some players.  Whether the value will align with one of our first two or three picks is another question.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I saw lots of responses so instead of quoting them all I will use this guys cause it's short.

I think we could rely on a rookie if it was a top choice. I don't know who would fall to us, as I haven't visited the draft forum in a minute.
Reply/Quote