Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So what exactly is our plan for Wide Receiver?
(03-09-2016, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd take Simpson back.  He has had a couple of decent seasons.

'11...50 rec...725 yds...14.5 avg
'13...48 rec...726 yds...15.1 avg

Unfortunately there are all those arrests, suspensions, and 300 yard seasons to go along with those.  And one miraculous YouTube cartwheel highlight...
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:36 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: How is Mike Wallace like Antonio Bryant?  He's actually had more than one decent year, and last I checked, he's not coming off an IR season.  He's probably looking at making less than 5 mil per on a short deal.  Account for inflation and he'll be had for well less than half of what Bryant saw.

And fwiw, I HATED the Antonio Bryant deal from day 1.  It was actually when I first joined the boards.  Argued for weeks and weeks with people about how we should have went with Boldin.

I was kidding bro, relax. 

Antonio Brown was the first name that popped in my head when you said veteran free agent wide receiver. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:24 PM)pulses Wrote: for example....Mike Thomas, Malcolm Mitchell, Jay Lee

Sanu and addressing WR early could be nice depth. But it will depend on if we get Pacman signed. If we don't then we need to draft a corner.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure if this was a Hue Jackson fascination or what but we still have Burkhead on the roster. He might be able to make some plays at the WR position if needed.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:17 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Now that Marvin Jones is gone that leaves us with Tate, currently, as our WR2.

Im fine with letting Marvin Jones walk because of money, but there better be a plan in place to fill the WR2 void.

And im not sure that Tate or Sanu is a credible option....

Mike Wallace, won't cost us a comp pick and has the speed that MLJ has.

Will drop the ball but still, you cannot teach speed. Would rather have Rishard Matthews or Travis Benjamin
but i see Wallace being more likely as he was cut.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Sanu and addressing WR early could be nice depth.   But it will depend on if we get Pacman signed.   If we don't then we need to draft a corner.

i got it covered bro in my latest mock.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mike Wallace, won't cost us a comp pick and has the speed that MLJ has.

Will drop the ball but still, you cannot teach speed. Would rather have Rishard Matthews or Travis Benjamin
but i see Wallace being more likely as he was cut.

I believe Benjamin was just signed by the Chargers
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:37 PM)Garrus Wrote: I believe Benjamin was just signed by the Chargers

Thanks for the update, damn.
Reply/Quote
I honestly think our #2 WR will be coming from the 1st or 2nd round. I know Marvin has only spent 1 first round pick on a WR since he's come aboard, but we've put ourselves in this position.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Nate Washington on a 1 year deal, coupled with a decent draft pick, wouldn't be the worst thing I've ever heard either.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:44 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I honestly think our #2 WR will be coming from the 1st or 2nd round. I know Marvin has only spent 1 first round pick on a WR since he's come aboard, but we've put ourselves in this position.

Ideally we sign a guy who can hold it down for a year and don't force our hand to draft a WR when the value might not be there. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Nate Washington on a 1 year deal, coupled with a decent draft pick, wouldn't be the worst thing I've ever heard either.

I like Nate Washington. He has been quietly putting together a good career down there in Tenessee.

Just looked it up and he was a Texan last year >_< still.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and you don't think a rookie will take awhile to learn the system? MLJ and Sanu were practically useless as rookies. That's why we were starting Armon Binns.

It will take a vet awhile also.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It will take a vet awhile also.

I never said it wouldn't. That said, a veteran won't have to learn the in's and out's of being a WR in the NFL.

A vet has a FAR better shot at being productive on the field.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is exactly why ignoring the position in the draft the last two years was so incredibly stupid!! Two years ago drafting Ogbuehi in the first was idiotic followed up with Fisher in the second, that draft was loaded with WR and the Bengals knew at that time these contracts were coming up in a couple years.

Everyone always says how great the Bengals draft, but the last few years since the A.J. and Andy draft have not been impressive, and the current real time dilemma at WR shows the extent of it.
Reply/Quote
Kamar Aiken (RFA), WR, Ravens. Age: 27.
Rueben Randle, WR, Giants. Age: 25.
Anquan Boldin, WR, 49ers. Age: 35.
Percy Harvin, WR, Bills. Age: 28.
Rishard Matthews, WR, Dolphins. Age: 26.
Brian Quick, WR, Rams. Age: 27.
Leonard Hankerson, WR, Bills. Age: 27.
Brandon LaFell, WR, Patriots. Age: 29.
Mike Wallace, WR, Vikings. Age: 30.
Marques Colston, WR, Saints. Age: 33.
Roddy White, WR, Falcons. Age: 34.
Jermaine Kearse, WR, Seahawks. Age: 26.
Mohamed Sanu, WR, Bengals. Age: 27.
Brandon Gibson, WR, Patriots. Age: 29.
James Jones, WR, Packers. Age: 32.
Marc Mariani, WR/KR, Bears. Age: 29.
Chris Givens, WR, Ravens. Age: 26.
Marlon Brown (RFA), WR, Ravens. Age: 25.
Chris Hogan (RFA), WR, Bills. Age: 27.
Andre Holmes, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.
Nate Washington, WR, Texans. Age: 33.
Jaron Brown (RFA), WR, Cardinals. Age: 26.
Hakeem Nicks, WR, Giants. Age: 28.
Greg Jennings, WR, Dolphins. Age: 32.
Rod Streater, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.
Justin Blackmon, WR, Jaguars. Age: 26.
Jordan Norwood, WR, Broncos. Age: 29.
Andre Caldwell, WR, Broncos. Age: 31.
Kenbrell Thompkins, WR, Jets. Age: 28.
Andre Johnson, WR, Colts. Age: 35.
Jason Avant, WR, Chiefs. Age: 33.
Josh Bellamy (RFA), WR, Bears. Age: 27.
Jeremy Ross, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.
Lance Moore, WR, Lions. Age: 33.
Ricardo Lockette, WR, Seahawks. Age: 30.
Riley Cooper, WR, Eagles. Age: 28.
Wes Welker, WR, Rams. Age: 35.
Nick Toon, WR, Rams. Age: 27.
DeVier Posey, WR, Broncos. Age: 26.
Terrelle Pryor (RFA), WR/QB, Browns. Age: 27.
Brenton Bersin (RFA), WR, Panthers. Age: 26.
Russell Shepard (RFA), WR, Buccaneers. Age: 25.
Tavarres King (RFA), WR, Giants. Age: 26.
Chris Owusu, WR, Jets. Age: 26.
Joe Webb, WR/QB, Panthers. Age: 29.
Stephen Hill (RFA), WR, Panthers. Age: 25.
Seyi Ajirotutu, WR, Eagles. Age: 29.
Deonte Thompson, WR, Bears. Age: 27.
David Nelson, WR, Steelers. Age: 29.
Brian Tyms (RFA), WR, Patriots. Age: 27.
Kaelin Clay, WR, Ravens. Age: 24.

Whatever happened to Justin Blackmon? Is he eligible this upcoming season? I know he hasn't played in a while, but he was a bit of a beast when he did get on the field at times. Could probably get him for next to nothing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never said it wouldn't. That said, a veteran won't have to learn the in's and out's of being a WR in the NFL.

For sure, bring in a vet and Draft a WR early should be the plan.
Reply/Quote
The T's were drafted last year. And if Ced O hadn't been drafted, we would be trying to sign Andre Smith.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:00 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: This is exactly why ignoring the position in the draft the last two years was so incredibly stupid!! Two years ago drafting Ogbuehi in the first was idiotic followed up with Fisher in the second, that draft was loaded with WR and the Bengals knew at that time these contracts were coming up in a couple years.

Everyone always says how great the Bengals draft, but the last few years since the A.J. and Andy draft have not been impressive, and the current real time dilemma at WR shows the extent of it.

It's literally not a dilemma. When you have the best receiver in the league (megatron retired), the second best TE in the league and perhaps the best scat back in the league, the value of a number 2 receiver drops drastically. There are plenty of guys in the draft and FA that can fill that void. Also since we drafted the two tackles last year, we can expand our search for this mystery WR because we don't have to worry about bringing in some rookie tackle at an inopportune moment. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I never said it wouldn't. That said, a veteran won't have to learn the in's and out's of being a WR in the NFL.

I think that I would prefer an early round receiver and a veteran cornerback if we lose the rest of the free agents.  I don't feel like this team has done a very good job of drafting early round cornerbacks since Hall and Joseph.  Add is we really don't know what we have in Dennard, or if he will be healthy, and that is a position that really scares me.  Not saying receiver doesn't, but Green and Eifert are on the roster...
Reply/Quote