Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So what exactly is our plan for Wide Receiver?
(03-09-2016, 01:47 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: And they already have Golden Tate.  Man, if my team went from having Calvin Johnson, to  marvin jones, I'd be so pissed.

I always thought Jones was rather overrated.  He benefited immensely from the weapons around him, coaching, and sheer volume in the passing attack.  He was way inconsistent to see that amount of coin.  IMHO, anything over 6 mil, and 15 mil guaranteed, is overpaying.

How the hell can you pay 40 mil to a guy who's never hit 1,000 yards in a season?  Never even hit 900 yards.  Craziness.  Might as well take a few mil behind the stadium and burn it, while you're at it.

I feel ya on Calvin vs Marvin, but the Lions were proactive at least. They were in a tough spot. Fwiw, Marvin will get even more volume in Detroit. They throw it more than anyone. They've got to fix that o-line though.

(03-09-2016, 01:51 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Based on this list Marvin Jones hit free agency at the perfect time.  Of that list, I may entertain Wallace.  Colston if I absolutely had to.

I only listed players who were cut because the Bengals like to protect their compensatory picks. There's also Rishard Matthews, Reuben Randle, Boldin, etc available. Matthews and Randle are better than MLJ imo. Mike Wallace would be just as good.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Double Dip in the draft is what I would do. We don't need to sign someone that will take a while to get to know the system. Might was well spend that time coaching up a couple of rookies.
Take a guy like Shepherd (excellent route runner and hands) and then a project later in the draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
rather see us sign Mack then over spend on a WR

A stud center could make such a huge difference. Bodine has not worked out. Marginally better than the guy he replaced and weak link on O line.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: We all better hope Jerome Simpson doesn't get released by San Fran.  I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. (he had 5 catches less year)

I'm not joking with this.  Knowing this team, if that ***** gets released, they'll be on him like white on rice.

Lalala

Why do I find myself agreeing with this??????   

Gaah
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: We all better hope Jerome Simpson doesn't get released by San Fran.  I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. (he had 5 catches less year)

I'm not joking with this.  Knowing this team, if that ***** gets released, they'll be on him like white on rice.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO... mother f'ing NO  Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Double Dip in the draft is what I would do. We don't need to sign someone that will take a while to get to know the system. Might was well spend that time coaching up a couple of rookies.
Take a guy like Shepherd (excellent route runner and hands) and then a project later in the draft.

...and you don't think a rookie will take awhile to learn the system? MLJ and Sanu were practically useless as rookies. That's why we were starting Armon Binns.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I only listed players who were cut because the Bengals like to protect their compensatory picks. There's also Rishard Matthews, Reuben Randle, Boldin, etc available. Matthews and Randle are better than MLJ imo. Mike Wallace would be just as good.

Ooh, I did not know this.  I really need to start reading up on who's out there this year.  Those are both very intriguing options.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I only listed players who were cut because the Bengals like to protect their compensatory picks. There's also Rishard Matthews, Reuben Randle, Boldin, etc available. Matthews and Randle are better than MLJ imo. Mike Wallace would be just as good.

Does this annoy the hell out of anyone else?  Let's pass on making our team better today for the chance at a third or fourth round pick next year... it pisses me off every time I see it mentioned anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and you don't think a rookie will take awhile to learn the system? MLJ and Sanu were practically useless as rookies. That's why we were starting Armon Binns.

That's the rub.  We want #2 and #3 WRs that can contribute immediately, but that aren't expensive FAs, and don't use up high draft picks, and aren't the two guys we have who want too much money to stick around.  

So all we really want are 2 WRs who are cheap, low draft picks, and ready to go from day one.  Eep!

(03-09-2016, 02:06 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Does this annoy the hell out of anyone else?  Let's pass on making our team better today for the chance at a third or fourth round pick next year... it pisses me off every time I see it mentioned anywhere.

Meh, this is why I don't expect the Bengals to approach team-building and free agency like other teams.  Other teams fire their GMs and HCs for good or ill, where here we don't see our GM and HC making risky decisions because they've been in their positions what...a combined 41 years or something?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:00 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Only problem is that Brady is probably the greatest quarterback to ever play in the NFL.  While I am happy with Dalton, he is nowhere near GOAT status...

I'd like to see him away form Belechick before i'd agree 100%. That's not going to happen though. My point is Belechick would take this team to the SB before Brady would under Marvin.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:27 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I believe they'll go with a cheaper option veteran via FA.  Similar to when we brought in Nate Clements when Jonathan Joseph left.  Couple that with spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another WR, and I think that's the plan at WR.

I mean, hey, if they could grab a Mike Wallace at a reduced price then I'd see they knocked this out of the park.  Spending anywhere near what Marvin Jones got just doesn't make sense for a team who has AJ Green and Tyler Eifert, who is due for a new deal himself.

I look for a 1-3 year deal for a vet at 3-5 mil per.

This.

We sign a Denarius Moore type from the scrap heap and use a 2nd-4th round pick on a WR.

This is assuming they re-sign Sanu.  The coaches seem to love sanu, and he did play very well the first half of '14.  BUt I hope we don't overpay to re-sign him.  Even though I want to keep him, he is not worth a huge contract.

If we lose Sanu in addition to Jones then we sign TWO Denarius Moore types from the scrap heap and use an additional 5th -6th round pick on a WR. 

No matter what happens I don't see us signing a significant free agent WR or using a first round pick on the position.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we lose Sanu in addition to Jones then we sign TWO Denarius Moore types from the scrap heap and use an additional 5th -6th round pick on a WR.

So our WR corps features Denarius Moore, Denarius Moore, and some 6th round WR rookie?  Wow, that sounds like the sort of roster you put together when you want your gf to have a chance against you in Madden.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No matter what happens I don't see us signing a significant free agent WR or using a first round pick on the position.

I think most of us agree here, unfortunately. The Bengals haven't signed a good FA WR since 2010 and they almost never burn a 1st rounder on a WR.
Reply/Quote
Here is the complete list per Walter Football.....obviously some have been tagged, tendered or already signed.

Alshon Jeffery, WR, Bears. Age: 26.
Marvin Jones, WR, Bengals. Age: 26.
Travis Benjamin, WR, Browns. Age: 26.
Kamar Aiken (RFA), WR, Ravens. Age: 27.
Rueben Randle, WR, Giants. Age: 25.
Anquan Boldin, WR, 49ers. Age: 35.
Percy Harvin, WR, Bills. Age: 28.
Rishard Matthews, WR, Dolphins. Age: 26.
Brian Quick, WR, Rams. Age: 27.
Leonard Hankerson, WR, Bills. Age: 27.
Brandon LaFell, WR, Patriots. Age: 29.
Mike Wallace, WR, Vikings. Age: 30.
Marques Colston, WR, Saints. Age: 33.
Roddy White, WR, Falcons. Age: 34.
Jermaine Kearse, WR, Seahawks. Age: 26.
Mohamed Sanu, WR, Bengals. Age: 27.
Brandon Gibson, WR, Patriots. Age: 29.
James Jones, WR, Packers. Age: 32.
Marc Mariani, WR/KR, Bears. Age: 29.
Chris Givens, WR, Ravens. Age: 26.
Marlon Brown (RFA), WR, Ravens. Age: 25.
Chris Hogan (RFA), WR, Bills. Age: 27.
Andre Holmes, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.
Nate Washington, WR, Texans. Age: 33.
Jaron Brown (RFA), WR, Cardinals. Age: 26.
Hakeem Nicks, WR, Giants. Age: 28.
Greg Jennings, WR, Dolphins. Age: 32.
Rod Streater, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.
Justin Blackmon, WR, Jaguars. Age: 26.
Jordan Norwood, WR, Broncos. Age: 29.
Andre Caldwell, WR, Broncos. Age: 31.
Kenbrell Thompkins, WR, Jets. Age: 28.
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Steelers. Age: 29.
Andre Johnson, WR, Colts. Age: 35.
Jason Avant, WR, Chiefs. Age: 33.
Josh Bellamy (RFA), WR, Bears. Age: 27.
Jeremy Ross, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.
Lance Moore, WR, Lions. Age: 33.
Brandon Tate, WR/KR, Bengals. Age: 28.
Ricardo Lockette, WR, Seahawks. Age: 30.
Riley Cooper, WR, Eagles. Age: 28.
Wes Welker, WR, Rams. Age: 35.
Nick Toon, WR, Rams. Age: 27.
DeVier Posey, WR, Broncos. Age: 26.
Terrelle Pryor (RFA), WR/QB, Browns. Age: 27.
Brenton Bersin (RFA), WR, Panthers. Age: 26.
Russell Shepard (RFA), WR, Buccaneers. Age: 25.
Tavarres King (RFA), WR, Giants. Age: 26.
Chris Owusu, WR, Jets. Age: 26.
Joe Webb, WR/QB, Panthers. Age: 29.
Stephen Hill (RFA), WR, Panthers. Age: 25.
Seyi Ajirotutu, WR, Eagles. Age: 29.
Deonte Thompson, WR, Bears. Age: 27.
David Nelson, WR, Steelers. Age: 29.
Brian Tyms (RFA), WR, Patriots. Age: 27.
Kaelin Clay, WR, Ravens. Age: 24.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: NO, NO, NO, NO, NO... mother f'ing NO  Sad

I'd take Simpson back.  He has had a couple of decent seasons.

'11...50 rec...725 yds...14.5 avg
'13...48 rec...726 yds...15.1 avg
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd take Simpson back.  He has had a couple of decent seasons.

'11...50 rec...725 yds...14.5 avg
'13...48 rec...726 yds...15.1 avg

Isn't he about due for another suspension? 
Reply/Quote
Maybe we can look at a WR like Quick, Kearse, or Rishard Mathews or heck even Riley Cooper as another option. I'm also all for giving Alford/Kummerow/Wright a chance, I mean if that bum Tate can continue to take a position you have to believe one if not all of those other guys offer more upside than him.
Reply/Quote
Former Bearcat Kenbrell Thompkins seems like the obvious Mike Brown choice.
Reply/Quote
The loss of Marvin would've hurt less had we not ignored WR in the draft the last 2 years.

But at least this may make them poke their heads at viable options on the market.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 02:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Double Dip in the draft is what I would do. We don't need to sign someone that will take a while to get to know the system. Might was well spend that time coaching up a couple of rookies.

for example....Mike Thomas, Malcolm Mitchell, Jay Lee
Reply/Quote